Sign in to follow this  
Marlon

The usual fps freezes, now severe.

Hi

There has been some previous posts about this issue, long ago. A very known and widely accepted problem, where models loading in the distance has a freezing effect on the framerate. If you you walk forward, then every few seconds you get a glitch as stuff appears.

However, now, it is insanely bad, and it is happening for three of us (the only three people I could confirm with) on different connections, different pc's and one in a different geographical location.

The glitching is now 1-2 second freezes. We have tried many many things, from resolution drops, to lowering settings, to playuing around with the model loading threads and priorities, framelimiters, we have tried disabling indexing on windows pc's, clearing the java cache (with javaws) and much much more. But the problem remains.

Myself, Meerkatjie and Xardus, without any change to our configs or usual manner of play, now experience it. 40fps..... 0fps for 2 seconds, back to 40 again.

It is, dare I say, borderline unplayable and unacceptable to a point where quitting is the only bet (since restarting the client does not help).

Something changed in the recent updates, please tell us what it is, and how to circumvent it. It is horrible.

Some details from my rig, which is the lowest powered computer between the three of us:

Java 7 Update 51 build 1.7.0_51-b13 (all of us)

AMD 1090T (6 core, 3.5 ghz) on a Asus M4A785TD-M EVO

DDR3 8192MB Dual channelled

ATi Radeon 6770 1 GB

Windows 7 (legit and updated all the way)

Most background services disabled

The other pc's are way more modern than mine.

Thanks in advance.

Marlon

PS: I can't post "crash reports" since there is no crash.

• Like 1

welcome to wurm

This happens on Epic very often, its why we relog when we enter our villages, relog upon exiting it, relog before entering pvp, relog after finishing pvp.

Nothing else to do but relog because there is very little optimization.

Edited by Propheteer

I have the same problem while traveling. Every few tiles I move forward and I'm hit by brutal FPS drop to zero often for 3-5 seconds. Standing still I have 40-60 FPS. Any taxi mission is now real pain. Using Autowalk can easily lead to crash into fence or high slope or even to lose synchro with server.

To travel between my 2 deeds better I'm using tunnel mostly. There I have only one FPS hit on exit from tunnel.

Sailing further away from coast is fine.

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses, it is comforting to know that we are not alone, but it doesn't make it fine.

If there's any settings or workarounds that can be recommended, please do (dev dudes!).

I have moved my wurm installation to a seperate physical disk to see if it aids loading from the packs, but neigh.

Also, setting my performance settings to that of a 1996 gamer, didn't help either, so the loading issue seems to be something completely untweakable.

I just posted to another discussion, but this thread is even more accurate to what I was describing, so my apologies.  May we please have someone from the game acknowledge and address this issue?  Everyone I play with experiences the exact same symptoms described above, especially after traveling.  It would be such a great improvement in the game experience to fix this for us. 

I thought I was having PC issues myself though wurm is the only game this happens on, i'm glad/sad that others are experiencing the same thing. Its frustrating beyond belief same thing here great framerate BOOM zero wash rinse and repeat over and over and over.

What saddens me more is the lack of technical staff responses here, with not so much as an acknowledgement, let alone some ideas to remedy it.

Are they aware of this? Are they working on improvements? I haven't even played 2 hours in the last week because of this, and after this update I got today, it's hilariously unplayable.

Faolin: what you describe is exactly the problem the rest of us are having, it's almost account cancellingly frustrating.

Can you guys describe how you manage to get your clients to lag ? It happens to me but after like 6 hours of having the client running which makes debugging it very difficult.

For me, I can get it from the start, provided I travel around.

If I stay around home, it will be less severe, and start after a few minutes, while walking.

If I travel to further, then it is as serious as zero frames for up to 3 or 4 seconds.

There's always been that 'walk-walk-walk-slight-glitch-walk-walk-walk' issue, but nowadays, it's not slight, it's a pause.

It's even worse on Meerkatjie's pc, which is specced twice as high as mine.

Saddening :(

I have to agree.  Travel is the key.  The more you travel, the faster it will happen.  If there is anything I can do to help you, please let me know.

I disabled the sound cache on  the Wurm settings and I still get the frame rate issue.

Bump. Still looking for a solution. Parked cores not applicable.

Thanks for the memory tip, but doesn't seem to work, my memory usage is already in that ballpark, ie, it's alreadying using as much as it needs.

My current framerate on settings at the moment, is 50-60fps, but the 5fps hiccups still happen every few minutes, then goes away.

Is there any solution to this yet? I suffer the same problem and the game it's beginning to becaome unplayable. I don't know a lot about computers, but Wurm is the only game Im having this problem with.

permo's solution worked for me.

i use a combination of permo's solution and setting the model loader threads to 1 and Model Loader Thread Priority to low in the advanced graphics tab of launcher and it seems to solve quite a lot of these mini fps freezes.