Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Concerning Xanadu

Meh rampant wild speculation.

Offhand Id say its probably just going to be another island mass added to the Freedom server.

• Like 1

I think it will be a magical land where we'll all perform random musical numbers on roller skates

• Like 2

Well at least with the ancient historical references to the place name of Xanadu (Shangdu) the capital of Kublai Khan's Yuan Dynasty in China, Sunsvortex has added some dignity to the name, rather than these more modern pop culture and movie references. Too bad many when seeing this name will think of the latter and not realize the grandiose ancient culture that it was originally attributed to, much less what a wonder it would have been to live within it in those times.

=Ayes=

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by sunsvortex, April 8, 2014 - OT Trolling
Hidden by sunsvortex, April 8, 2014 - OT Trolling

never person that says trader issue gets slapped.  we spent 50s, we wait 8 RL months to get that 50s back before the trader is actually giving us gains. so  go spend 50s and drain your own and stop crying cuz u cant find a empty one already!. and i think this new server will jsut connect the 2 other NEW servers.   i see no point to move, tis just a hype to get all urs attention off devs recent habits.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by sunsvortex, April 8, 2014 - cleanup
Hidden by sunsvortex, April 8, 2014 - cleanup

Wow fatboy, apart from being almost unable to read your post, you are a bit kneejerk sensitive aren't you? Trader draining is not part of this topic, at the same time, it's a bogus damn bug that people got used to and abuse... secondly, the amount of work and load and money that goes into infrastructure for a new server, is the worst possible way the devs (who, by the way mr smart pants, is not the people who make the business decisions at AB) could distract attention.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by sunsvortex, April 8, 2014 - Inflammatory
Hidden by sunsvortex, April 8, 2014 - Inflammatory

i only talked about them as i noticed few others did here. Also, dont get my started on it. (also, theres aren't real servers, there virtual enviorments, setup on a single server), rolf has mb 3 servers runing all maps). so if ur gonna pick at me, least learn up about it, rolf slaps new maps up like they are candy as he himself even said how easy it is. and again, i think its a simple same old same older map and everyone is falling for the hype as its a trick to get everyones attention of the drama of recent events.. ya know ima just walk away from this thread also. Really tierd of these new faces appearing thinkin they got all the answers and praise this n that person.

Honestly, I'm getting so tired of all these game changing alterations lately. This new server means people put things on hold because we do not have enough information.

Some questions:

- will this server connect the old cluster to the new cluster?

- where will this server connect if it does?

- will this server be a pve server where people can build deeds or a hunting server?

- will traders be allowed to be placed there?

- when will this server go live?

- will wurm be put on steam and is the new server meant for the rush of new players wanting to try wurm out so as to affect the old servers as little as possible?

- will this server have new features like rivers and permafrost?

- will mines be 3D on the new server?

Result: not feeling like logging in because any work on chars or deeds might become for nothing at any point

Edited by Terpsichore
  • Like 3

Well if it is a really good thing and so cool will it kill the old server? Will everyone want to move? I can not see it as just a hunting server as it would have no income upkeep to pay for itself. I am taking a gamble and selling a lot of stuff preparing for the move.. guess we will see what happed

The last two servers that opened started Isolated in fact still are because when the other freedom servers opened all the good land was claimed by the richer older players from indi back then.  I suspect it will be the same if you can deed there then all characters there will have to be new characters makeing the land grab more fair for all.

I have a couple Ideas of what I would like to see it be but dought it will be.

1.  A large server filled with tiny (1 deed) to med (4-5 deeds) sized islands with deep water so they cant be easily land bridged into a mass net work.  A server where the boat is king.

2.  A server that is either Artic with new types of terrian or tropical with new types of terrian to include some unique plants and animals that can only be raised on these new types of terrian.

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm getting so tired of all these game changing alterations lately. This new server means people put things on hold because we do not have enough information.

Some questions:

- will this server connect the old cluster to the new cluster?

- where will this server connect if it does?

- will this server be a pve server where people can build deeds or a hunting server?

- will traders be allowed to be placed there?

- when will this server go live?

- will wurm be put on steam and is the new server meant for the rush of new players wanting to try wurm out so as to affect the old servers as little as possible?

- will this server have new features like rivers and permafrost?

- will mines be 3D on the new server?

Result: not feeling like logging in because any work on chars or deeds might become for nothing at any point

ewww had not thought about that maybe converting existing servers to 3d for bridges and multi level mines wasnt practical and can only be on new server.  That would make me move or cry as I want that but dont want to move away from  my friends

I would think a new server would certainly be required for 3d implementation but it feels too early for that to be ready.

I would think a new server would certainly be required for 3d implementation but it feels too early for that to be ready.

^

From my knowledge, it would be very required. Or a complete reset of maps, and if not, your talking a huge chance for map corruption....

Though, I seriously doubt this is 3d mining - that's a very huge project all in itself.

Don't see why you couldn't convert the current set of data (which has a height field for floor and ceiling) into one where you can have multiple floor and ceiling pairs. Meh. The complexity isn't in the data, it's the validation of an action.

Don't see why you couldn't convert the current set of data (which has a height field for floor and ceiling) into one where you can have multiple floor and ceiling pairs. Meh. The complexity isn't in the data, it's the validation of an action.

It's not that it couldn't be done, but Rolf has had his problems with implementation on smaller changes, some of us cringe at how bad a major change could go for him.

Also take into account the amount of data to store and process. For say Indy map you currently need 4096*4096*3 data points with some mountains going into the high 4-digit heights, now if you add a third dimension, and make each cube 4x4x4 meters that becomes 4096*4096*2048 = 34,359,738,368 data points. FUN!

Also, all the client rendering code will have to get a huge rewrite, with severe effects on performance.

We can still keep dreaming about 3d:  

-current game build is not able to handle 60 ppl fighting in one area   in 2d world . 

-when you go to really huge deed your PC is baking

Without occlusion query implemented performance is doomed.

Artist rendition of a stately pleasure dome - this should soooo be in WURM

QashWRe.jpg

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 2

Artist rendition of a stately pleasure dome

+1 for dome roofs 

Edited by Kegan

I don't think it will be a server merge with the clusters. They have brought up in game voting recently as well and if they were goin to ignore the voting I think they would have dropped the subject from conversation.

I think it will be a HUGE map, bigger than any others, with some newer features not available on the other servers. I'm going to guess it will be segregated from both current clusters so they can get a fair bit of coin from the deal, also preventing coin transfers from other servers via epic.

Or maybe just a new tutorial? I haven't been following their talks about that haha xD

I highly doubt they would be stupid enough to make another server and separate it from all the others.  They just advertised it as coming soon, and forcing everyone to make new chars to go there would not go well.  We barely put up with that for the new servers Pristine and Release.  We held back then because there was a promise that the servers would be merged later.  We are still waiting for the merger to occur.

• Like 1

If Xanadu were a huge server as implied, although I am not trusting that this is the case until further details are supplied, there would be no need to put any impositions upon the current players from traveling there and settling upon it. In fact the reverse would be desirable, as this would serve to get the population started there to in turn supply other new settlers that might arrive due to Wurm developers creating new avenues to draw in more players. More land would open up upon the other servers as well once the more adventurous departed to this new land of Xanadu.

If Xanadu were put in the center of the other servers this would serve to contribute to that purpose and seem to be the ideal location for it. It would also seem to me that arraigning servers in any pattern would be a simple management of code since they have no real physical location under the current system where you pass through some coded void to enter from one to the next. If this is the case then any configuration that would serve to enhance travel between them would be the best choice to make, such as Xanadu being the center of them all. 

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I highly doubt they would be stupid enough to make another server and separate it from all the others.  They just advertised it as coming soon, and forcing everyone to make new chars to go there would not go well.  We barely put up with that for the new servers Pristine and Release.  We held back then because there was a promise that the servers would be merged later.  We are still waiting for the merger to occur.

It would make perfect sense to separate Xanadu from BOTH clusters.  Anyone who thinks differently is either a merchant or highly skilled professional looking to make silver off of new players.  Should Xanadu eventually join "the cluster", absolutely.  But there's no reason to overrun a brand new server with people that already have 90 digging skill, supreme shovels etc to claim and terraform all the prime locations, monopolize the silver market, and make it even more difficult for new players to establish themselves without further shelling out their credit card.

Pristine and Release are in a similar situation.  Everyone in the main cluster wants access to Pristine and Release...why?  To sell things and make silver right? 

Before I really start "discussing" this topic, I want those of you that support Xanadu being clustered (to one, the other, or both clusters) to answer me one question:

Why is Xanadu being clustered from day 1 good (for anythig other than your own purse)

-Wargasm

I want xanadu connected from day one so I can venture to claim new land with chance to actually pick a nice place. I don't want having to create new account, I don't like having to create and grind new account.

It is not about profit, although it might affect it-- I make decent living from independence and I got two deeds, one is near the center so not having access to strategic market is not my intention.

Edited by rosedragon

I want xanadu connected from day one so I can venture to claim new land with chance to actually pick a nice place. I don't want having to create new account, I don't like having to create and grind new account.

I am sure the most players are with you.