Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Concerning Xanadu

My guess pmk pve server or maybe that resetting server i have been pushing for with a map reset every once in a while..

Regardless of what it is i have already moved there in my mind i have been selling off assets right and left and bought another years worth of premium from the shop so i am ready for whatever lies ahead of us, lol

I think im doing the same thing Kegan, I have stopped improving my current deed and started on a Knarr, shiphauler and large crates. I missed the Celeb rush, didnt do the Pristine Release rush so this time I think ill get in on this one. By the time im done prepping It should be live...lol guess that makes us Preppers....wonder if we can get a show :lol:

Edited by sunsvortex

Guess: It will be a regular PvE server located to the west of Deli, east of Pri/Rel and connect them to the cluster. North will lead to Chaos. Same size as Deli.

Edited by Aeris

Guess: It will be a regular PvE server located to the west of Deli, east of Pri/Rel and connect them to the cluster. North will lead to Chaos. Same size as Deli.

Poor guess. Nothing humongous about that.

There is something big in the making. In reality it is pretty huge. Well actually it might just be the most humongous thing ever added to Wurm!

My guess would be a server bigger than Independence, Indy is 4096x4096 I think so probably 8192x8192. Why we would need such a big server is beyond me though, so I am guessing it will coincide with Wurm going greenlit on Steam or something, or maybe Rolf finally will spend some money on actual marketing.

I think im doing the same thing Kegan, I have stopped improving my current deed and started on a Knarr, shiphauler and large crates. I missed the Celeb rush, didnt do the Pristine Release rush so this time I think ill get in on this one. By the time im done prepping It should be live...lol guess that makes us Preppers....wonder if we can get a show :lol:

Same. I started working on a caravel and already talked with a few people. 

I gave up on the thought of it being the hunting-only server. I'm still hoping this island will connect us with P&R cluster.

If neither happen, it'll just be another PVE island to deed, drop a trader on and visit once in a while to do some hunting. Maybe kill a dragon or two. Big whoop.... nothing new to see here.

I gave up on the thought of it being the hunting-only server. I'm still hoping this island will connect us with P&R cluster.

If neither happen, it'll just be another PVE island to deed, drop a trader on and visit once in a while to do some hunting. Maybe kill a dragon or two. Big whoop.... nothing new to see here.

Does this mean I should stop packing up our stuff?

I hope the new server has a T-Rex, the thought of it chasing a noob down the road makes me laugh.

• Like 2

Does this mean I should stop packing up our stuff?

I hope the new server has a T-Rex, the thought of it chasing a noob down the road makes me laugh.

Hahahaha, better be careful there! You might upset all those "realism" people who say we cant put glowing lumps into bulk bins because it will ruin the wood, or that we can't have [this and that] because it doesn't fit the "timeline" that Wurm supposedly resides in.

"BUCKET WANTS T-REXES!!! HE WANTS TO TURN WURM INTO JURASSIC PARK ONLINE!!1!"

To all of you stating you want to see the new server be a hunting only server, you better think again.  I guarantee if it is, within 6 months (at most) players will be screaming to have deeds there.  Why?  Because it will take time to travel there, and time to get home.  After a while the uniqueness of a hunting only server will fade and the realities will set in, and they will want a homestead, a safe place to go to log out for the day.

That being said, I do hope that his PvE server has creatures that are much harder to fight, putting the vE back in PvE so to speak.  I think we have went a bit too far in accommodating the new player, and a server that only an experienced player could or would want to stay on could be a welcome addition to the game.

Edited by Vroomfondel
  • Like 1

and they will want a homestead, a safe place to go to log out for the day.

Because that's not possible without a deed right? 

My main association to "Xanadu" is the deed on Indy (which was just Freedom back then) that managed to block off almost all land travel between the spawn and the rest of the server and the tasty drama that ensued :P

I still have screenshots from my first days on Inde of the champ unicorn pens in Xanadu!

Omg u guise, we need dragen

Poor guess. Nothing humongous about that.

How can you know that it's a poor guess when they haven't revealed anything new since my post? :P

• Like 1

xanadu_39.jpg

This is actually the map of the new lands.

My Guess:

1.  A PVE standard server but will be used to sit between the Freedom cluster and Pristine and Release with a simultaneous opening of those servers so the Freedom cluster will be coming into the new server from one side but Pristine and Release will be coming in from the opposite side.

One grand union!

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 1

Hmm. Any word if it's going to be like the last two servers. Where u will have to make a new character then wait two yrs to connect to the other servers?

I might have missed it , reading at work on iPhone. I hope connected within a few days. Like the other servers before pri and release

I hope you can't found deeds or live permenantly in any way on it otherwise it'll end up like every other server in a few years.

I think it should be a sort of PvE lore driven server. One with quests and lots of mythical creatures that we haven't seen before. And plenty of good hunting ofcourse!

That'd be paradise.

This, I dont want to see deeds being possible on this new pve island, just pure hunting

Are you sure you guys aren't going to get sued for using Xanadu?

and they will want a homestead, a safe place to go to log out for the day.

Because that's not possible without a deed right? 

Read what I said completely, a SAFE place to log out for the day, and you know as well as I that there are players that will not consider anything less safe.  A PvE server with no way to claim any land will be a griefing playground too, don't forget.

Edited by Vroomfondel

Maybe it's just a huge server with no private traders and some other way of distributing money?

Edited by Jasmyn
  • Like 1

Maybe it's just a huge server with no private traders? For the purpose of seeing how the trader issue turns out?

That would be very smart to not allow the Trader thing to take over all the lands.  He could make them not for sale at all and use other methods for coin distribution to the players who put coin into the King's Fund through Item and Land Purchases.  What ever method is used it should be something that adds to the game and makes the game fun and enjoyable for all players as well as helps retain more players.  It could be through quests, rewards, lower upkeep, mobs drops, etc...what ever adds more fun and excitement to the game.

Well doing a bit more research on Marco Polos descriptions seems I may have missed a couple things - Ill quote and add underlining and italics.

Round this Palace a wall is built, inclosing a compass of 16 miles, and inside the Park there are fountains and rivers and brooks, and beautiful meadows, with all kinds of wild animals (excluding such as are of ferocious nature), which the Emperor has procured and placed there to supply food for his gerfalcons and hawks, which he keeps there in mew. Of these there are more than 200 gerfalcons alone, without reckoning the other hawks. The Khan himself goes every week to see his birds sitting in mew, and sometimes he rides through the park with a leopard behind him on his horse's croup; and then if he sees any animal that takes his fancy, he slips his leopard at it, and the game when taken is made over to feed the hawks in mew. This he does for diversion.

Moreover at a spot in the Park where there is a charming wood he has another Palace built of cane, of which I must give you a description. It is gilt all over, and most elaborately finished inside. It is stayed on gilt and lacquered columns, on each of which is a dragon all gilt, the tail of which is attached to the column whilst the head supports the architrave, and the claws likewise are stretched out right and left to support the architrave. The roof, like the rest, is formed of canes, covered with a varnish so strong and excellent that no amount of rain will rot them. These canes are a good 3 palms in girth, and from 10 to 15 paces in length. They are cut across at each knot, and then the pieces are split so as to form from each two hollow tiles, and with these the house is roofed; only every such tile of cane has to be nailed down to prevent the wind from lifting it. In short, the whole Palace is built of these canes, which I may mention serve also for a great variety of other useful purposes. The construction of the Palace is so devised that it can be taken down and put up again with great celerity; and it can all be taken to pieces and removed whithersoever the Emperor may command. When erected, it is braced against mishaps from the wind by more than 200 cords of silk.

So  - Falconry? not what I would call big..but really really cool addition.

Flight - there was talk of it a while back. If its going to be a huge island makes sense that some places are only accessible by flight. Flight would certainly be a big addition.

So if theres going to be flight..how will it be achieved...animals, constructed objects,spells - personally Id be all for enchanting a ship or being able to make some sort of airship and then have it enchanted

Leopards - again...not really a big thing but would be very cool indeed. (Snow Leopards that roam the lands of Ice)

Now the columns he is talking about with dragons embossed on them - dragons spawn on a regular basis? - granted the description is simply of decorative columns..but nonetheless. And having dragons respawn on a regular basis would certainly be big.

Silk -  good item to have to use when thinking about objects that fly.

Also the overall descriptions tend to suggest a hunting server of sorts - its all small game and sport hunting - not really the kill stuff or die kind of hunting - however no reason it couldnt be implemented in WURM that way.

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 1

Sunsvortex, I suppose it is all about ones point of view, since what stands out to me in the descriptions you have provided is all about the intricate details of the building aspects. To carry further on this, that would imply many more intricate and creative ways to build and transform the environment. Still, I do not think that is what this land of Xanadu will be all about and the name is more something that appealed to the Wurm design team, rather than anything directly related to it.

With this in mind, I do not think that lofty expectations will be fulfilled. Perhaps it will just be a more welcoming blank slate on which future design aspects and game changes can be implemented. The more I consider this the more I think that it will be more of the same, as originality in the creation of new servers has not been their strong point.

=Ayes=

• Like 1