Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Concerning Xanadu

I just have to shake my head at the gloom and doom end of times posts within this thread. I see this as an exciting new addition to the Wurm servers with a vast landmass to explore. You might not have noticed but Budda made some reference to this new landmass as having some amazing new topography within it. While the mystery remains as to exactly why the Wurm Dev team has created this server, that will be resolved slowly over time in bits and pieces, as usual.

Indeed, exciting times ahead, which I see directly connected with Rolf hiring all these new staff members within the past year+. They have been coming up with great new additions to the game and this would seem to top them all, while allowing more yet to be built up within this new server and added on to existing ones. I see only a brighter future ahead for Wurm in the coming years. I have always seen patience and persistence over time to lead to progress and the desired results. Those who remain through these transitions will have more to enjoy within these Wurm landscapes as time flows slowly onward within this alternate unreality, of this I have little doubt.

=Ayes=

I'm leaning towards the consolidation conspiracy. Open the new server, tell people they have 6 months to move, shut the old PvE servers down.

Perhaps the recent questions on highway and enclosure rule changes also have something to do with this. New server, new rules, and if you don't like your neighbors, spread out. :P

Then why would they open all these other worlds first, just to shut them down again? What do they do with the spare hardware?

Shutting everything down for only 1 PvE server sounds like nonsense.

Then why would they open all these other worlds first, just to shut them down again? What do they do with the spare hardware?

Shutting everything down for only 1 PvE server sounds like nonsense.

Actually, it doesn't.

And it's happened around here before in the past.

(I, too, am starting to get the feeling that this new server will cause the end of all of the other PVE servers. With the rumor circulating that new mechanics and optimizations can only be released on "newer" servers, what are we going to do when flowing water and 3d mines enter the game? Miss out because we're on an antiquated server that they apparently can't bring up to date?)

Edited by As_I_Decay
  • Like 2

Actually, it doesn't.

And it's happened around here before in the past.

(I, too, am starting to get the feeling that this new server will cause the end of all of the other PVE servers. With the rumor circulating that new mechanics and optimizations can only be released on "newer" servers, what are we going to do when flowing water and 3d mines enter the game? Miss out because we're on an antiquated server that they apparently can't bring up to date?)

While I can to some extent understand the need of evolution, I will be really really pissed off if I have to leave my actual deed, not only for the work I and my associated have done, but also the cost to set up, the nice mining facilities and the nice hunting ground where it is settled.

So this new server afaire while exiting it gives me weird felling...

The winds of change are blowing, shall we stand like rocks before time? Worn to but a rounded shine, buried and forgotten? Or shall we furl our sails and ride them?

Onward the adventure.

• Like 1

While I can to some extent understand the need of evolution, I will be really really pissed off if I have to leave my actual deed, not only for the work I and my associated have done, but also the cost to set up, the nice mining facilities and the nice hunting ground where it is settled.

So this new server afaire while exiting it gives me weird felling...

If it's anything like the destruction of MR-H and JK-H after the start of Freedom, you will get your deed set-up money back, at least.

I have to say - the idea that it would be a centralized server that everyone would have to migrate to , is interesting. I think that if such an action would be undertaken that transition would happen slowly over a long time period. Im not sure if there would be any reason to rush such a thing. Take Pristine / Release for example - theres been no hurry to connect them - not to mention getting rid of all the older servers would be essentially wiping all of WURM history and I dont think thats the intention.

The idea of having to make a new toon to play on that server, at least in my mind, would be a waste of space. It happened once..but I dont think there are enough players that have the stomach for it again. That would certainly cause me to change my plans as I would not want to do anther toon  for it. I really dont think , given the size of the server, the testing for "mass players at one time logging on stress test" would really be needed if it were going to be start a new toon to play there. I dont think there would be more than 100 that would do it.

But  - what do I know - so far all my speculation has been 100% wrong. Unless of course we log in today and someone sees rivers or Ice :o

Edited by sunsvortex

The idea of having to make a new toon to play on that server, at least in my mind, would be a waste of space. It happened once..but I dont think there are enough players that have the stomach for it again. That would certainly cause me to change my plans as I would not want to do anther toon  for it. I really dont think , given the size of the server, the testing for "mass players at one time logging on stress test" would really be needed if it were going to be start a new toon to play there. I dont think there would be more than 100 that would do it.

I agree with you on this point, that with a server this size there is no need to restrict existing players from traveling there with their current characters and settling upon it, rather the opposite would be desirable. Also, the fact that current players could travel there with their characters from other servers would be an additional perk for them playing the game previously. Playing the game over a period of time should be rewarded and this would be a simple way of doing the same.

I seriously doubt also that there would be any need, nor would it be beneficial to the game, to have any of the existing servers wiped from existence at any future date. They are also part of the history of Wurm and even if over a long period of time they become significantly less populated due to whatever new game features will be introduced upon Xanadu, it would still be desirable to keep them going for that alone and not the less for the fact that other players would continue to prefer to remain there within the environments that they have created.

How a server of this size will influence the game mechanics and the developers plans for it will evolve over time in ways that are unpredictable at this time. This I see as an evolving experiment for the developers as well, so really no set in stone details are available. I would think that they need the flexibility to make proper adjustments as they arise and making statements any about specific details will just be an impediment used against them by those who are not adaptable enough to realize that changes must be made as situations present themselves.

A lot to look forward to with this new huge server and my thoughts all tend to flow in a positive direction with its impending release when most of these straw men arguments will be blown into the wind as so much chaff. 

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Give it the epic skill curve and old accounts won't influence things too much because everyone can catch up. Everyone wins and you can put everyone together.

If you gave me x10 skillgain - I still woudlnt bother -but thats just me.

Definitely not a hunting server. Well unless Wurm changes its spawning mechanics so certain areas are significantly more mob dense then others.

Xanadu > "There will also be 50 000 creatures roaming the wilderness (which is a fairly low population in Wurm terms)."

64k * 64k = 4096,000,000 tiles. 4096 mil tiles/ 50k creatures is 81,920 tiles per a creature, or about one creature per 287 tile square area.

Delivrance > 24k creatures, 2048 x 2048 = 4,194,304 tiles. ~4 mill tiles / 24k creatures is 174 tiles per a creature, or about one creature per a 13.2 tile square area.

Keep in mind I'm didn't subtracting all the domestic creatures that are actually on deeds. A significant portion of the domestic creature cap is there. 

I've always wanted less mobs and it looks like Xanadu may offer this experience. Although, I'm concerned about the non-aggro cap. If its a 50% split then that is 25k domestic creatures. This is cause for concern. Packing mob spawning into small concentrated areas will likely please the hunters. In contrast, I don't' see how we will deal with many deeds (likely 1,000 to 2,000 if everyone was there) having domestic creatures. It looks like 12 to 25 creatures per a deed before the domestic cap is completely saturated. Keep in mind that a server this big could easily support 10k + deeds. The number of domestic creatures per a deed for that is dismally low.

(For what its worth, server side - convert domestic animals to static, AI striped-objects and archived in a low use database table. Client side - use seeded random generator (so all viewers see the animals moving the same) + client side resources to move the animals around a pens/barns/animals building. For the server each animal housing object would be a simple linear algebra simulation (food levels, animal counts, water levels, cleanliness) address once a day.)

Forced move rumors...If this is true, Wurm you better give full refunds on disbands and 20s refunds for traders.

• Like 1

As much as I love this game I just can't get excited about a new server for PvE no matter the size. In my opinion they should have stopped with deliverance. There just isn't a need for a new server. I live on celebration and I've been there since launch so it feels like home but it's not needed. You hardly see anyone no matter where you go. If the servers were full and cramped I would welcome the idea of a huge new landmass but this defiantly isn't the case.

THere will be 50,000 creatures for the test, not after launch.

What makes places feel empty is the straight line one must travel to get to other islands.

If rolf can make the world round instead would help players moving around more often.

Watching the stream, at some point Rolf said " When we will have Towns and roads......" guess that crush some people dreams of Hunting only

Edited by Matchup

Watching the stream, at some point Rolf said " When we will have Towns and roads......" guess that crush some people dreams of Hunting only

That dream was crushed when they said the new server was going to be bigger than Indy.

A hunting only server would have no need to be bigger than Deli, or any of the other smaller PVE servers.

That dream was crushed when they said the new server was going to be bigger than Indy.

A hunting only server would have no need to be bigger than Deli, or any of the other smaller PVE servers.

A hunting only server should be the size of Affliction. Similar map too, just no myc. It shouldn't allow deeds, just a "hunting lodge" controlled by someone responsible to respawn/resupply at. Terraforming and building should be allowed, but you should be "weaker" and not able to build stone buildings, dig as steep slopes or plan as large things. Allows for someone to make a small hut and a little place to mine the iron to repair their stuff, but nothing else. It shouldn't encourage a large permanent population or a slum around the spawn. Perhaps if smaller servers were phased out then we could have one.