Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Concerning Xanadu

Not sure how many followed the news announcement about a new map coming down the pipe called Xanadu but I cant help but speculate a bit. Now for those that are not familiar with Xanadu Ill give a very quick historical reference on it and provide sort of a quick reference guide in the form of a RUSH song also entitled Xanadu. Marco Polo was believed to have visited Xanadu and gave a number of descriptions concerning it

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16MpCza27HI&feature=player_detailpage

"And when you have ridden three days from the city last mentioned ( modern Beijing), between north-east and north, you come to a city called Chandu, which was built by the Khan now reigning. There is at this place a very fine marble Palace, the rooms of which are all gilt and painted with figures of men and beasts and birds, and with a variety of trees and flowers, all executed with such exquisite art that you regard them with delight and astonishment.

Round this Palace a wall is built, inclosing a compass of 16 miles, and inside the Park there are fountains and rivers and brooks, and beautiful meadows, with all kinds of wild animals (excluding such as are of ferocious nature), which the Emperor has procured and placed there to supply food for his gerfalcons and hawks,"

Marco Polo also mentioned a large portable palace made of gilded and lacquered cane or bamboo which could be taken apart quickly and moved from place to place.

"The Lord abides at this Park of his, dwelling sometimes in the Marble Palace and sometimes in the Cane Palace for three months of the year, to wit, June, July, and August; preferring this residence because it is by no means hot; in fact it is a very cool place. When the 28th day of the Moon of August arrives he takes his departure, and the Cane Palace is taken to pieces."

Now that the history and descriptions are out there time for some rampant speculation on my part.

Tich said to think big, Johan says its possibly the biggest thing ever put out by WURM - So given the above

Are we talking about Rivers or streams?

Lands of Ice?

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 4

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by sunsvortex, April 6, 2014 - trolling
Hidden by sunsvortex, April 6, 2014 - trolling

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m1UWSD-FaA

Xanadufilm.jpg

Edited by Dairuka

yes any details about the new server would be nice indeed

I'll never stop laughing whenever I hear the name "Xanadu" being used.

You can thank Olivia Newton John for that.

An ice island would be fun.

Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 3

Well if it is a really good thing and so cool will it kill the old server? Will everyone want to move? I can not see it as just a hunting server as it would have no income upkeep to pay for itself. I am taking a gamble and selling a lot of stuff preparing for the move.. guess we will see what happens. 

Edited by Kegan

All I can say is thanks for linking an AWESOME song by my favorite band....ever  :)

• Like 1

Well if it is a really good thing and so cool will it kill the old server? Will everyone want to move? I can not see it as just a hunting server as it would have no income upkeep to pay for itself. I am taking a gamble and selling a lot of stuff preparing for the move.. guess we will see what happens. 

I agree Kegan, I dont think its just a hunting server, that seems overly simplistic. With all the historical reference pointing to Palaces in a very cool land with meadows rivers and streams, and knowing that once Rolf had mentioned Ice and rivers in one of the public Q&A things I am leaning towards a very large new Island with rivers, possibly ice with some sort of central palace type structure for the starting area???? But even that seems a bit small for such hype as is being given out. Be really nice for the devs to throw us a few more clues :)

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 1

Xanadu: Dragon Slayer II

Xanadu is notable for several reasons, including its sales records for computer games in Japan with over 400,000 copies sold there in 1985

I think it will be a magical land where we'll all perform random musical numbers on roller skates. :D

• Like 8

Does that mean no aggressive beasts as well as rivers and streams?

My main association to "Xanadu" is the deed on Indy (which was just Freedom back then) that managed to block off almost all land travel between the spawn and the rest of the server and the tasty drama that ensued :P

• Like 3

I think it will be a magical land where we'll all perform random musical numbers on roller skates. :D

This is definitely it - trust me I have inside knowledge.

• Like 6

No no it is finally rolf answering all the dramas. There will be a dragon for everyone. So 6000 dragons on one server good luck guys.

It is a place where people will fight between an Awesome Rush song.. or that other one.    

In the end the winners will eat honeydew and drink the milk of paradise

• Like 1

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
Through caverns measureless to man
   Down to a sunless sea.
So twice five miles of fertile ground
With walls and towers were girdled round;
And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
And here were forests ancient as the hills,
Enfolding sunny spots of greenery.

But oh! that deep romantic chasm which slanted
Down the green hill athwart a cedarn cover!
A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e’er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
And from this chasm, with ceaseless turmoil seething,
As if this earth in fast thick pants were breathing,
A mighty fountain momently was forced:
Amid whose swift half-intermitted burst
Huge fragments vaulted like rebounding hail,
Or chaffy grain beneath the thresher’s flail:
And mid these dancing rocks at once and ever
It flung up momently the sacred river.
Five miles meandering with a mazy motion
Through wood and dale the sacred river ran,
Then reached the caverns measureless to man,
And sank in tumult to a lifeless ocean;
And ’mid this tumult Kubla heard from far
Ancestral voices prophesying war!
   The shadow of the dome of pleasure
   Floated midway on the waves;
   Where was heard the mingled measure
   From the fountain and the caves.
It was a miracle of rare device,
A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

A damsel with a dulcimer
   In a vision once I saw:
   It was an Abyssinian maid
   And on her dulcimer she played,
   Singing of Mount Abora.
   Could I revive within me
   Her symphony and song,
   To such a deep delight ’twould win me,
That with music loud and long,
I would build that dome in air,
That sunny dome! those caves of ice!
And all who heard should see them there,
And all should cry, Beware! Beware!
His flashing eyes, his floating hair!
Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise.
  • Like 1

For some reason I feel this will be the linking server between the main cluster and Pristine/Release :P

A new server would likely be attached to Pristine/Release since they don't have a big map, but seeing as the announcement didn't state any specific side of the game would make me think everybody would be able to access it.

• Like 1

I hope you can't found deeds or live permenantly in any way on it otherwise it'll end up like every other server in a few years.

I think it should be a sort of PvE lore driven server. One with quests and lots of mythical creatures that we haven't seen before. And plenty of good hunting ofcourse!

That'd be paradise.

• Like 2

I hope you can't found deeds or live permenantly in any way on it otherwise it'll end up like every other server in a few years.

I think it should be a sort of PvE lore driven server. One with quests and lots of mythical creatures that we haven't seen before. And plenty of good hunting ofcourse!

That'd be paradise.

I was unsure about the new server but that, that's a really good suggestion. I think I could get into that :)

With the comments and image shown , looks like its going to be one giant land mass.

Looks like it will be bigger then all the land masses together.

Central area were the question mark is , looks like a bunch of smaller islands and rivers.

But this is just speculation, having limited deed size would be nice but if its that big don't think it is needed.

Most likely there will be traders, but wonder if Rolf can add no player ones and strictly token sell off instead, sorry no gold farming there.

Snow on mountains be nice the higher up you go, and tropical to temperate areas to old growth forest..

Not being able to change desert area or tundra to grass also be nice , or make it but ass hard to do so.

New stone be handy like granite , sandstone ....hint the new walls they showed....different colored marble also.

But will see what happens, since there is no release date..

• Like 1

Sunsvortex,

A nicely done OP that leads of course to more speculation about this new server. As you have brought up, I prefer the more older references to this place named Xanadu within Shangdu, China. These newer pretenders to a claim to that name pale in comparison.

As for some speculation I made previously:

"One feature of this new server could be as you suggest, no Traders would be available to purchase or place on this server, which I think would be a good idea. The name Xanadu makes me think it would be a more peaceful place and not a hunting type of server. It could perhaps even be a central server with all other servers surrounding it connected to it by narrow land bridges.

Or maybe a server sectioned off by great walls that can't be climbed which would divide it into four sections. One of current PvE mechanics. One of current pvp mechanics. One of non-aggro creatures. One of a hunting type overload of aggros. The spawn point could be in the center of it surrounded by these great walls with gates opening into each section. Each of these four sections could then be coded to enable and prevent their distinct functions.

Or maybe the terms used in the OP of "big-huge-humongous" are misleading to just cause more speculation on what it will be all about. Hopefully in the next Weekly Update more specifics will be revealed."

Some further thoughts could be tied to points others have made within this thread concerning ice covered areas but I doubt any flowing rivers have been developed yet code wise to enable them to be within this land. Then that big and humongous reference might be also accorded to a new monstrous dragon ruling over the land that will be found to be impossible to kill after many impulsive fighters and their companions lay adding to the pile of dust of the remains of those before them.

Of course my preference would be for it to be a server with no aggressive creatures upon it, which would be a new concept for Wurm. Then if it were a central server to which all others were connected by narrow land bridges surrounding it, each player could venture onward from it to another which might suit their desired play style more closely.

Could it be just a lot of much to do about nothing type of hype to send expectations soaring only to discover later that there were no wings to sustain their lofty flights of fancy. Time will tell, as for now it seems that those in the know have been very tight lipped about the whole situation.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

That'd be paradise.

No quests please! There are already too many games with that stuff!

This is a sandbox game. Please let it remain so.