Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

Allow Single-Side Deed Expansion & Perimeter Annexation

1.  Single-Side Deed Expansion:

I know this has been suggested before, but I want to mention it again.  Many deeds could benefit from being able to expand in one direction when the opposite is blocked by another deed.  There is financial incentive for this being implemented as I can only imagine how many deed expansions have not occurred because of the two-side mechanic.  I know I would expand my deed in TWO directions (east and south) if I could, but given the north being blocked by a neighbor, that cannot happen.

2.  Perimeter Annexation (would require Single-Side Deed Expansion):

It would be great if two deeds could be joined on one side by converting the perimeter tiles to deed tiles in the direction between them.  This would allow players that have two main characters the ability to butt their deeds side by side without having to deal with 10 tiles in the middle that do not have deed-tile decay prevention.  Mayors of both deeds would have to mutually agree as to which deed gains the perimeter tiles as deed tiles and which deed loses the perimeter tiles.  I am thinking something like this:

Deed A south of  Deed B wants to consume the north perimeter between Deed A and B.  Both mayors agree.  Deed B mayor must first check setting on village settings for "Allow South Perimeter Annexation".  There would be a checkbox for each direction independently.  Deed A mayor then expands Deed A northward up to the deed tiles of Deed B leaving no perimeter tiles between the two deeds.  Completion of the purchase would finalize the annexation.  

The one caveat I would suggest is that only walls can be placed on the deed line.  Buildings would not be allowed to be constructed on the tiles where the deeds meet.

I know why perimeters were created.  However, I do not believe this suggestion hurts travel or access in any way.  Players can always go around.  But it greatly benefits players who have two characters or villages that are so wonderfully allied that they do not mind adjacent borders.  For the sake of rights to walls on these adjacent deeds,  the north and west sides would determine which deed "owns" the dividing walls, fences, etc.

Thoughts?

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 13

No thanks, I mean i understand it for Freedom purposes.. but surely if this is implemented it would horrifically affect the PvP servers. And we all know rolf doesn't do updates like this for only freedom or pvp base.. not being able to predict where a token is on chaos would basically result in having to level an entire deed to raid it 100%. People would found 10x10 deeds and make that the living deed, then tetris other deeds around it to make it impossible to raid. It would make so many nightmare situations. And on freedom, say perhaps the two deeds have a falling out or one is sold? then what? one is forced to retract their deeds edge to make a barrier. I see no practical purpose for this aside from land mongering and making raiding harder then it already is.

+1,000

Great idea and the only way i can protect my legal enclosure after Rolf craps on all the good players in Wurm to get at a handful of bad eggs.

My deed is locked from East to West due to another deed to the East of mine.....my Perim and his are side by side so i can't expand my deed over my off-deed stuff......i wish i could.

And to those that say "oh just place another deed over to the West to cover that" .....well cus of this Perim rule that you MUST take 5 tiles of unprotected junk if i did that i would have a 10 tile wide of unprotected land right through the middle of my 2 deeds.

Get rid of Perimeter ? ......make Perimeter protected ?....or as Lord Eyesgood has posted LET US EXPAND IN 1 DIRECTION !!!!

I suggest making option in deed settings relocate

it will give disband settlement, give new settlement contract which will give free size of what deed was

contract will be for about 1-2 hours, after that it's gone.

1.  Single-Side Deed Expansion

+1 and it was suggested many many times over the years

2.  Perimeter Annexation (would require Single-Side Deed Expansion)

-1, one of the intentions of perimeters is to force gaps between deeds so that huge areas can't be blocked off by multiple small (and cheap) deeds without passage between them.

+1 and it was suggested many many times over the years

-1, one of the intentions of perimeters is to force gaps between deeds so that huge areas can't be blocked off by multiple small (and cheap) deeds without passage between them.

Makes no difference if you have to go around 3 deeds or around 1 massive deed the size of the three...

I like better the idea of "Reduce the required minimum perimeter to 1 tile of King's Land that can only be paved" coupled with single direction expansion. I am perimeter to perimeter on the North. There is a 2 tile space between perimeters on the South and that 2 tiles is a highway (for now a legal one). I have the ocean to the West and a vast swath of good land to the East that I will no longer be able to use in any way of a protected form even if I wanted to protect it which I currently do not. I could then annex in my tiny perimeter area that I wanted but could not deed because it was 4 tiles too close to the neighbor - with whom I consulted and spoke at length with before plopping a deed border to border against her - and I could expand 10 tiles into land without expanding 10 tiles into water.

This post feels like Déjà vu to me because I has stated this a couple of times before. My deed will never get bigger with the current setup and I will no longer be able to safely use off-deed land.

Another possibility would be to only have one perimiter tile in two directions (say the north and west sides of all deeds). This too always ensures that people can pass through between deeds - but it gives the possibility to annexate the other two sides of current perimiter to the full. Thus minimizing  the damage to current  built up perimiters (a lot of those would have to be broken down and rebuilt, one tile less in size - if even possible - if all sides would need to retain one tile perimiter - this would at least halve that job).

I don't see why a passage inbetween deeds would *have* to be 2 tiles wide, 1 is enough to pass and thats what it's meant for (and you can pass just fine on grass too, why would it *have* to be paved, it isn't as if feet or wheels get stuck in grass, sand or whatever...). And no need for highway-protection of the strip inbetween i.m.o. because if so chosen, deeds can put up a fence on their edges there making any terraforming-tampering with the one tile inbetween those fences impossible per coding-mechanic, so no need to put a rule (which can be broken, certainly with a two-wide strip, other then with a one-tile fenced strip) on top of that.

+1 for one side expansion

+1 for annexing, if only 2 deeds can be annexed.   The limit would be to prevent making long strips of small deeds, or completely encircling a settlement.   So once 2 deeds are "linked" to eachother, they cant do the same with any other deed.

Both excellent suggestions Eyesgood, although as you have pointed out the expand deed to one side has been suggested many times. Helpful to be brought up again I suppose.

As for joining 2 deeds together eliminating the perimeter on that side, seems a good idea as well. I have 2 deeds against each other like that now and the perimeter is fenced off between them anyway so none can pass through it. Probably others do this as well, so some who suggest that then passage through them would be a problem if this were implemented are not seeing the reality of the existing situation. Also there are players who just run their fence to their neighbors perimeter fence and block off passage anyway.

Your suggestion would not alter the current situation as it exists to anyone's detriment. Still, I am wondering why I would want to do this when in effect I am loosing 10 perimeter tiles worth of space by joining my two deeds together. So after thinking about this, I doubt I would use this option if it were made available. Guess not worth worrying about really, as I seriously doubt either one of these suggestions will be put into effect due to Dev time required to code it properly.

=Ayes=

+100 on both ideas, why do I need to be forced to have a 10 tile gap between 2 deeds I own in which things decay?

Also I only see incentives for them allowing to expand deeds in 1 direction alone

Yes to single side expansion. Make it re center the token if this is a necessary part of pvp. Limit the amount one can expand at at time, if it might be used for griefing (5-10 tiles per 24 hours?). But, please, we need this!

No thanks, I mean i understand it for Freedom purposes.. but surely if this is implemented it would horrifically affect the PvP servers. And we all know rolf doesn't do updates like this for only freedom or pvp base.. not being able to predict where a token is on chaos would basically result in having to level an entire deed to raid it 100%. People would found 10x10 deeds and make that the living deed, then tetris other deeds around it to make it impossible to raid. It would make so many nightmare situations. And on freedom, say perhaps the two deeds have a falling out or one is sold? then what? one is forced to retract their deeds edge to make a barrier. I see no practical purpose for this aside from land mongering and making raiding harder then it already is.

+1 Single side deed expansion would be really helpful since lots of people are constrained by other deeds on one side. I know I am. It would be fair if devs took time to implement it, especially in light of upcoming enclosure changes. 

IMO this really should be implemented before any rule change take place.

I need to setup automatized +1 everytime this subject pops out =)