Sign in to follow this  
ScarfaceRo

Let's stop being paranoid for once

I was not specific talking about WURM here, so game experience is quite irrelevant. I may not know WURM players specifics, but for sure I played a lot of games (think I easily sum up over 5 years of /played times only in MMOs) to know the general gamers' mentality and further more old enough to have met enough people IRL. And I was talking about people - and here is only life experience that matters (and if you really want experience within different games).

People always tend to freak out and get scared when something is changing and when there is a risk that something bad will happen. Truth is that in the vast majority of cases that thing never happen and they worried and made a big fuss out of it for nothing. That's what I'm trying to say - let's take a deep breath, calm down and just wait for things to happen. When (and most important IF) they will happen, we'll be able to discuss on hard facts and try to find a solution, but not freak out about the remote possibility that something may get bad and become defensive about anything.

Just reminds me of people protesting against the usage of CERN particle accelerator because we may create a black hole that will eat earth.

What people say on the forum and what they do are separate things, whatever the outcome for enclosure rule i'm sure someone will misuse the alternatives, many won't. Either way game goes on.

My "vast" off-deed "legal enclosure" is about 20 tiles of thin dirt over rock. They don't make deeds that small. a 5x5 deed is 11x11 tiles. I do not need 121 tiles. Do you propose I deed 100 more tiles than I use to keep from "hogging" land?

Exactly that's the thing I don't understand - if you have a small enclosure, not bothering anyone specifically, why do you think it will be break (just because it is possible)? I mean what would make a random person desire to break your 20 tiles enclosure? Especially if you have quite high ql walls that will make it quite a hassle to bash down without the mayor bonus.

Edited by ScarfaceRo

Wurm is not other MMOs.  Every example you listed in your original post that you thought would be unheard of, I've seen.

Exactly that's the thing I don't understand - if you have a small enclosure, not bothering anyone specifically, why do you think it will be break (just because it is possible)? I mean what would make a random person desire to break your 20 tiles enclosure? Especially if you have quite high ql walls that will make it quite a hassle to bash down without the mayor bonus.

Exactly, yes. With cause to feel that way. :-)

I was not specific talking about WURM here, so game experience is quite irrelevant. I may not know WURM players specifics, but for sure I played a lot of games (think I easily sum up over 5 years of /played times only in MMOs) to know the general gamers' mentality and further more old enough to have met enough people IRL. And I was talking about people - and here is only life experience that matters (and if you really want experience within different games).

People always tend to freak out and get scared when something is changing and when there is a risk that something bad will happen. Truth is that in the vast majority of cases that thing never happen and they worried and made a big fuss out of it for nothing. That's what I'm trying to say - let's take a deep breath, calm down and just wait for things to happen. When (and most important IF) they will happen, we'll be able to discuss on hard facts and try to find a solution, but not freak out about the remote possibility that something may get bad and become defensive about anything.

Just reminds me of people protesting against the usage of CERN particle accelerator because we may create a black hole that will eat earth.

Hard facts? on Wurm? where recently has been game-changing stuff happening overnight? Where there is no documentation about almost anything?

• Like 1

all i seen was blah blah, kissing more ass. dont care to read it because u keep defending rolf n wat he does like hes god. When you played the game for years, have a bug eat your friggin deed a 132x85 size deed costing 30s a month and disable it for 6 months and have to rebuild your homes 10 times in a row till finally ya say screw it,pack up n move to a new server. Who also had there animals constantly magically walk through stone and wood fences.  When your used to gameplay that was advertised and it constantly changes without notice that nerfs the hell outta it. When you have 90% of the playerbase against game changes and yet still do it, when you constantly changes things the suits you and not your players, you effect pvp raids outcomes, Players trading, traveling, working on deeds, Damn straight we have a right to be paranoid. We have been here for years and at one point we was like you and falled for the tricks, but being here for years we learned that anything you have ingame can instantly be taken from ya and nothing ya can do about it. That is more then paranoid, its ur investment in pixels for fun thats threatend, thus makes us not want to spend any money here when we can be doing 1 thing  and totally loose it another day. So yea, before you go judging are anger, get some years in your belt, then if ya still feel the same way, then so be it, But till then a measly few months ingame, doesnt make it mr know all and us wrong. We have been here, we have seen the constant trend of mistakes. So stop with theses retarded kiss ass posts and go play ur dream game thinking nothing will happen, youll learn as we once did.

• Like 2

The reactions you received are the end result of using a Strawman Argument without irony.

The truth is, people aren't being paranoid. A lot of the people who are reacting very negatively have been forced to adapt through these exact changes before (or any number of the variants in another form of similar gameplay that have been forced down our throats.) and remember awful experiences as a result.

Seeing as this is a game, and games are meant to be fun - bad experiences are not a recommended feature as part of your gameplay design.

As Aeris said, there are many solutions being thrown around, which are all being drowned out as a result of knee-jerk reaction comments from people of both sides of the argument.

Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 1

Damn straight we have a right to be paranoid. We have been here for years and at one point we was like you and falled for the tricks, but being here for years we learned that anything you have ingame can instantly be taken from ya and nothing ya can do about it. That is more then paranoid, its ur investment in pixels for fun thats threatend, thus makes us not want to spend any money here when we can be doing 1 thing  and totally loose it another day. 

Well, I learned this from day from reading the rules:

•          You have no ownership in the account; this is a service provided by Code Club AB.       

•          Code Club AB may, in its sole and absolute discretion, suspend or terminate your access to the Service and disable or delete the Account.     

I accepted these rules when I joined the game.

I don't see money I pay to Code Club as an investment in virtual items. I see it as a payment for an entertainment, pretty much like I see the money I give for a movie ticket or a one day admission fee to an adventure park (just much cheaper :P).

If tomorrow I would lose everything I have in game due to whatever reasons (bugs, being hacked, being banned, because Rolf decides to shut down the servers for good or whatever other reason) I would be said, true, but I would still be grateful for the fun I had during this month. Because I see WURM as a game and because I enjoy every minute in it, I don't make years long plans and I don't worry about things that may happen, just as I don't worry about the adventure park to which I go now, being closed next year and forcing me to search for a new one. Heck, a car may hit me tomorrow when I go to work and I wouldn't manage to enjoy any of it anyway. So instead of worrying a lot for what may or may not happen, I choose to just enjoy what I have now - a game that gives me a lot of fun RIGHT NOW.

Edited by ScarfaceRo

Well, I learned this from day from reading the rules:

•          You have no ownership in the account; this is a service provided by Code Club AB.       

•          Code Club AB may, in its sole and absolute discretion, suspend or terminate your access to the Service and disable or delete the Account.     

I accepted these rules when I joined the game.

I don't see money I pay to Code Club as an investment in virtual items. I see it as a payment for an entertainment, pretty much like I see the money I give for a movie ticket or a one day admission fee to an adventure park (just much cheaper :P).

If tomorrow I would lose everything I have in game due to whatever reasons (bugs, being hacked, being banned or whatever) I would be said, true, but I would still be grateful for the fun I had during this month. Because I see WURM as a game and because I enjoy every minute in it, I don't make years long plans and I don't worry about things that may happen, just as I don't worry about the adventure park to which I go now, being closed next year and forcing me to search for a new one. Heck, a car may hit me tomorrow when I go to work and I wouldn't manage to enjoy any of it anyway. So instead of worrying a lot for what may or may not happen, I choose to just enjoy what I have now - a game that gives me a lot of fun RIGHT NOW.

Hi there.

Thats your philosophy as gamer, I'm okay with that, but please, stop so actively trying to impose it to other gamers.

• Like 8

Hi there.

Thats your philosophy as gamer, I'm okay with that, but please, stop so actively trying to impose it to other gamers.

Well said.

Wait.... a meteorites going to hit the Earth in 2019?

Crap time to get busy on that bucket list. Anyone have Jennifer Aniston's phone number?

• Like 3

So what would I be left with in my yard? A few crops, a few trees, a locked large cart and if I was really lucky maybe one or two wild horses. What sane person (premium person, since they would need 21 BS to bash) would be tempted enough of this to break my small enclosure. And if this would happen how hard it would be for me to replace the lose?

Ok, that's what you choose to keep in YOUR yard. In mine, I have hell horses, other wild pets, my rice paddy, my magic meditation square, and until yesterday 7 and 8 good trait horses, which were in my attached back yard that I can't deed over because of the way perimeters are situated. All of these things I would deed if I could, except I need to keep the violent animals away from traders. I want to deed and cannot. I do not want people breaking into these areas now. And, if they are allowed to, I WANT TO KNOW WHO DID IT. Three hours of tracking time is not enough. I want to know which person did it, because I don't want to transact with them any more. And I don't want to have bad feelings toward EVERYONE just because I don't know which person broke into my hell horse pen and killed them all. I don't come on this game to feel that way.

So what would I be left with in my yard? A few crops, a few trees, a locked large cart and if I was really lucky maybe one or two wild horses. What sane person (premium person, since they would need 21 BS to bash) would be tempted enough of this to break my small enclosure. And if this would happen how hard it would be for me to replace the lose?

Ok, that's what you choose to keep in YOUR yard. In mine, I have hell horses, other wild pets, my rice paddy, my magic meditation square, and until yesterday 7 and 8 good trait horses, which were in my attached back yard that I can't deed over because of the way perimeters are situated. All of these things I would deed if I could, except I need to keep the violent animals away from traders. I want to deed and cannot. I do not want people breaking into these areas now. And, if they are allowed to, I WANT TO KNOW WHO DID IT. Three hours of tracking time is not enough. I want to know which person did it, because I don't want to transact with them any more. And I don't want to have bad feelings toward EVERYONE just because I don't know which person broke into my hell horse pen and killed them all. I don't come on this game to feel that way.

Freedom and chaos traders are run on seperate mechanics anyway, the income from freedom deeds is what funds traders on inde, likewise for chaos. 

I am precisely know this, the arguments was chaos players come to freedom to place freedom traders for them to drain. Neglecting the part that many chaos players play on both chaos and freedom. :P

Considering the number of players in an MMO combined with the GIFT anything bad that CAN happen - WILL happen, anything that can be abused or exploited - WILL be abused and exploited sooner rather than later. It's being paranoid, it's being realistic.

• Like 1

I am precisely know this, the arguments was chaos players come to freedom to place freedom traders for them to drain. Neglecting the part that many chaos players play on both chaos and freedom. :P

Meh, understand your point but you can do the same on epic too so its not all down to chaos. 

Edited by FreeTineen

Young ScarfaceRo (in terms of Wurm years), As a mere babe within these evolving Wurm lands you have seen little in terms of changes made to its functioning that have had negative impacts upon those old codgers that hobble around with a somewhat wobbling gate due to the wounds over time that have been inflicted upon them from these random minute meteoroids. Perhaps this is why they prefer riding horses and guard them protectively from those predators disguised with their innocent sheep like expressions.

As this may or may not be the case, you will be in turn chastised by them for your childlike innocence of a predilection that all will turn out well in the end. As the beginning determines the end, it is often those who have traveled the path the longest who will have a clearer insight into which way the winding road will lead and then can then avoid falling off the cliff sides as the journey progresses onward. To those who have the additional capacity of reasoned responses to the possibilities that are likely to ensue concerning these issues that you sagely advise them to have little concern about, I would advise you to give them more heed until you have assembled more spice to contribute to your meal so blandly composed of times so less numerous to lead to a vision of clarity.

No doubt you will remain doubtful of my contribution to your journey onward through these sometimes disjointed and conflict imbued postings of Wurm's possibilities; but, to those who would present something of substance, you would be wise to open your mind to their experience in these matters and give it some further consideration. With this I bid you well and hope your journey may be a long one that time sustains rather than diminishes.

Safe Travels

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Anything that can happen, Will happen.  I personally wouldn't dump the old system till a new one is in place.  Or if the GM's are overworked, They might want to delegate that authority to another group, Such as CA's who have applied to be a GM.  Or anything else they can come up with.  You don't abolish rules because the system isn't perfect.  You fix it.

• Like 1

The problem with your logic of, "Just because something bad can happen, it doesn't mean it will happen."  Is that when it does happen, it is often makes a large impact, often causing a huge advantage or imbalance in the game that can't be fixed, only nerfed, giving it a limited time advantage to those who use and abuse it.  To give you an example take Wrath of Magranon, a Magranon spell that would cause area of effect damage to buildings, fences, and other objects.  On paper it didn't sound bad, many considered it very useless.  When people though realized its power when linked and spammed, one kingdom literally destroyed an entire deed in a course of a few hours.  Something that by catapult would of taken days most likely.  

The truth is about Wurm 98% of people (at least on PvP servers) who find something strong won't report it, suggest it be nerfed, they'll use it happily for their advantage.  It's very rare someone is going to find an advantage and toss it away.  As much as you want to believe everyone is nice, friendly, helpful, respectful... well, they're not.  I seen people suicide others champion accounts to permadeath, backstab friends, steal hundreds of euros worth of scale, drake, and loot, kill disconnected players, etc.  There's more evil than good really on PvP servers because it's very cutthroat and competitive.  

Bad stuff is bound to happen, without rules, nerfs, and moderation there will always be the few select people who take advantage of the "honor system" that Wurm relies on.  

*shrugs*

Well, I just tend to give people more credit and I presume all people are genuinely good, until proved otherwise.

And in very few situations it happend to backfire against me; most of the times people were actually good, nice and honest.

As an example, in WOW all my guild mates (like 30 people) knew my accounts password; it never happend to miss a single gold or a single item.

But well, you provably know better how's the average wurm player.

he said wow. I know your type for sure now. ima leave with just saying LOL.

he said wow. I know your type for sure now. ima leave with just saying LOL.

true, meh im done with this thread, dudes just trolling everyone.

Edited by fatboy