Sign in to follow this  
Confuscius

looking at buying a new desktop to play wurm on

as tiltle says looking to move from my laptop to a desktop..dread.. for a better wurm playing experience.   what would be the baseline recommendations on ram, processor, graphics card you all would recommend?

What would be the budget? It all depends on how much you are willing to spend.

How many accounts do you plan on running? What settings are you looking for?

looing at about 900 as budget.  would like settings up  on most things so i could see refelctive water n hills n trees n a distance.  and maybe play 2 accounts at same time

Low budget? best to go AMD if you don't care about power.
Other wise get an i5 I guess.
I got AMD 8 core 8GB ram 2TB HDD 7750 2GB grapics with a 24inch monitor for 1k that was a year ago.

EDIT: Both suggestions here are total overkill for Wurm btw.
1GB low end graphics/4gb ram && a dual or quad core would yeild pretty much the same result, higher end PCS are good for running multiply clients though, not so much because of resoruces reqired and more just to do with Java being slugish.

Edited by AlexLong

It is quite very overkill!! 900 is a nice budget for a computer but you can make do with a 'decent' gaming machine for around 500-600 I guess playing two accounts at once would be the tricky part, you would need a powerful graphics card if you plan on running them on seperate monitors at the same time, but the Intel i5 CPU should be fine for that, but as said already if you want to go with a lower budget AMD. If you can afford to, Intel i5 or i7 are great :P that's my advice anyway.

-----

I currently run an i5 with multiple screens and it handles fine from gaming to working with high quality 3d sculpting and animation whilst having multiple active monitors.

-----

Is that £ $ or Euros by the way?

ill gonna add 1 thing aswell, i ran windows 7 on this computer and i changed to linux mint x64( ubuntu ) , i ran in med/low settings to have it to work at linux i can go max graphic and no problem, now i am so used to lower settings so this taking a while to adjust, still java taking up 800mb to top as i had it at 1,8gb but i hadnt reloged once at 9hours then, i have tried running 4 active windows yes its taking fps but alot better then windows 7, i couldnt move 1 char and with out the other almost lagging out( windows 7 ). this os i have no problem at all, so if the cash is failing ill recomend this way, i cant afford a new comp or upgrade my solution on 1 major problem sequrity was this and made 2 things good in one move.

I know there other good OS out there that can be used aswell, just need to find them =)

//GL and have fun =)

ill gonna add 1 thing aswell, i ran windows 7 on this computer and i changed to linux mint x64( ubuntu ) , i ran in med/low settings to have it to work at linux i can go max graphic and no problem, now i am so used to lower settings so this taking a while to adjust, still java taking up 800mb to top as i had it at 1,8gb but i hadnt reloged once at 9hours then, i have tried running 4 active windows yes its taking fps but alot better then windows 7, i couldnt move 1 char and with out the other almost lagging out( windows 7 ). this os i have no problem at all, so if the cash is failing ill recomend this way, i cant afford a new comp or upgrade my solution on 1 major problem sequrity was this and made 2 things good in one move.

I know there other good OS out there that can be used aswell, just need to find them =)

//GL and have fun =)

I love Linux, I run Linux Mint 16 (Cinemon) on my main desktop but there are more light weight ones out there, XFCE is supposed to be really light weight and a friend mentioned another one to me which I don't recall the name of.

A good point to mention :) I almost forgot about that XD lol

i appreciate all the input very solid advice ...gonna try to go Intel i5 but go big on graphics card.  think 8GB of ram will be ok for price point, 2GB graphics card nvidia GTX graphics  seems like best performance n value for money given all your inputs looked around.  thanks wurm community

Hey there,

I'm interested in the same question but from the laptop perspective.  I currently play WURM on a MacBook Pro with a 2.3 GHz Intel core i7 and 8 Gig RAM.  I'm going to have to replace it soon so am curious how low-spec I can go with a laptop and still get decent (pvp-worthy) performance out of it.