Sign in to follow this  
Archaed

Advertising within community map

Advertising on the map  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Should advertising on the community map exist?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (Please explain in thread)

I voted yes. Personally I won't care and ignore the ads, but for some people they might become helpful so why not.

They won't block you from viewing the map at all, and if the map creator makes a few coin from it, so what? He puts work into this others aren't willing to do.

If you're so down for paying hosting costs, why need help?

And on top of that, it was obviously a get rich quick scheme or you would've just done it yourself, I see you selling silver all the time.

Silver needs to be sold for IRL cash to pay hosting, you can't just drop 50 silvers on 1 year of hosting, it doesn't work like that.

He is just fine for paying it himself, HOWEVER, it would of course be nicer if it wasn't out of his own pocket. He is saying he will do it if need be. It's amazing that you think this is some sort of scam. That is just flat out wrong.

• Like 1

If you're so down for paying hosting costs, why need help?

And on top of that, it was obviously a get rich quick scheme or you would've just done it yourself, I see you selling silver all the time.

Silver needs to be sold for IRL cash to pay hosting, you can't just drop 50 silvers on 1 year of hosting, it doesn't work like that.

Why are you so against it? What makes this different than setting up auctions or selling items for silver?

I have found the community maps very useful and would be willing to contribute.  I would prefer to just directly donate a month of support.  It would only take 12 people that feel the same to keep it hosted for a year.

Jan:

Feb:

Mar:

Apr: supported by Archaed

May: supported by Flycat

Jun: supported by Xxx

etc...

If people want to advertise, just post on Freedom Isles Market.

Also, there are some free hosting options like Dropbox, if you don't want your info collected, just unplug from the internet because every single website collects user information.

EDIT: 15 euro to host 1 single image which is smaller than 2mb? I must tell you that you're getting robbed.

Edited by Jasmyn

He's not getting robbed, he just doesn't see the other possibilities, he's so up tight about personal information it's unreal. And then, people try to say I'm wrong, it's a scam, nothing more, nothing less...

Silver isn't real-life money.

People arn't going to toss you a buck to have advertising on a COMMUNITY map.

No one wants to pay for advertising when they can do it themselves.

End of story, this threads gotten so much negative ones, it's obvious the thread should just be closed, and no more opinions should be taken into effect.

Edit:

It's amazing that you think this is some sort of scam. That is just flat out wrong.

I'm not wrong, but I didn't know people sell 10s for 10 euro's PayPal, what a hosting company would cost.

Archaed knows, players normally sell silver by large amounts.

Edited by Tropical

End of story, this threads gotten so much negative ones, it's obvious the thread should just be closed, and no more opinions should be taken into effect.

Awesome attitude there buddy.

• Like 1

Archaed is rock solid. I don't think there is a chance in hell this is an attempt at a scam. 

• Like 2

Well.. i'd say it really goes like this...

As the one making an updating the map, nobody can stop you from offering the service (and they shouldn't be able to). It would be up to your relationship with the community to get clients who trust you.

People who are so extremely against having ads on the map, or against you getting paid for ads on the map could.. just make their own map to compete with yours.. . and either the community would move to that one, or continue using yours.

Simple as that really, not sure why anyone is against this though.

I support the idea.

You mean your negativity vs everyone else.

Archaed has a LOT more credibility than you.

Edited by Anders
  • Like 3

Personally I would prefer other options (such as Hussar's offer to host, and asking publicly for someone to host for free if that doesn't work) to be explored first.

If all else fails and nobody else is willing to do it for free, then I have no problem with it of course. I just can't see that being the case with this community :o

Archaed, I think if you start up an ad system such as this to subsidize your website costs for hosting this Independence map it will add a bad taint to it all. You devoting your time, efforts and financial support to publish and update this community map is an admirable accomplishment but then to seek ways to subsidize your financial contribution lowers this standard. This in turn might effect others who are doing the publishing of maps for other servers, causing them to consider ways to do the same.

Although the concept you have presented is not nearly in the realm of those player hosted game sites who cram their margins full of whatever ads would benefit them, it is tending to head in the direction of making some income from the process. While this can not be stated to be an attempt to directly make money from the process, it may cause some to question your motivations in this respect. If this will be a positive enhancement to your otherwise generous and giving contribution to the player base by publishing and updating this Independence map, will have to be up to you to determine; but, this is just what comes to mind when I consider your offer for opinions.

If I were to see ads on the sides of the map as you mention I doubt I would take the time to even glance at them, much less look further into their offers, since if I have an interest in these types of advertisements I would go to that section of the forums to search out their offerings. So to me they would just be distractions to what I have come to the map to find. If they tend then to be unobtrusive to the process little harm is done by having them there, other than what I have mentioned above.

=Ayes=

I voted No for this.  Like some others I also disagree with having advertisements on the Map.  I'm one of those that doesn't like to see adverts over everything and especially not on maps at all.  That said I think it's a good idea but i'm not sure people are willing to pay say like... 1s a month just to advertise something that may not be looked at or bring them profits?  People can be crazy too I guess.

I personally think you should take up Hussars offer to host this map for free and as someone else pointed out, you're paying 15 euros for a map image that is what, 2mb maybe?  That seems a little outrageous in my opinion and kinda like you're being scammed.  I think you should research other options but I wouldn't like to see adverts on the map.

Just my opinion as a newbie to Indy.  Not newb to the game though :P

I voted yes, why shouldn't we have tastefully done ads to support the continued use of a resource we all use?

I have just read through all the comments and I must say I find some peoples answers very interesting.

My personal view is I am not against it, I don't feel like its a scam etc. A note on Dropbox, Dropbox is NOT a hosting provider and as such you are not meant to host stuff publically on a dropbox account and can have the file or account suspended for such activity it is only meant for small scale sharing. I have even seen someones account stopped due to large scale sharing.

Last month the map had 4,443 Visitors thats 7.14GB (rounded) the month before that was 5,724 Visitors thats 9.20GB (rounded). Yes I do provide the hosting of the map on my servers and will continue to do so at no charge as long as I can however we are looking at steps to improve the service of the map and improvement of the map itself and looking at what is available to us. I have recently implemented a CDN on it just last week and hopefully you should now notice the map loads quicker than before.

I am not looking at any reimbursement for myself and Archaed who is the current map updater is willing to fork out for any services we do choose to use to improve and my opinion of him putting small merchant adverts on non-obtrusive points of the map (as historically done) to recoup some of the cost is perfectly fine in my eyes being a map updater myself for a small time in the past I have seen the hard work and time it takes to update the map and as long as the map itself is not covered over your eyes can easily divert not to read the adverts if you do not wish and you are not forced to advertise but some may like to advertise on it since its huge view count.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but there is no need to flame or get upset about it simple state your opinion. If there was an overwhelming no from the community (which there doesn't appear to be) I am sure Archaed would not do it. I also want to protect the map and provide my services for the community if I felt that a map updater was abusing the map against the majority of the community I would have a chat with them and possibly ask for a new updater. Like wise if there was an overwhelming concern about me being the hoster than I would look to hand it over to someone else. I also do like to hear feedback and suggestions on ways to improve it after all this is a community driven project for the community.

• Like 1

Maxi,

My offer was simply based on the explanation that the advertising was to offset costs, but the offer still stands.

I have unlimited access bandwidth on the site host, so if the current charges do become an issue (or you want to use it as a mirror), please feel free to hit me up.  If you want to discuss server/service details, let me know and I can forward the specs as well in case the changes are service dependent (os, db changes, Ruby, etc...)

Either way, thanks for hosting the maps to date and thanks to Archaed (and the other map updaters) for keeping the maps up to date!

• Like 1

A map should be a map only, not a newspaper with an advertisement section.

Sorry, but big -1

I'd just like to reiterate that the old map had ads on the side, that were of no interference at all, and were actually helpful as a quick reference to merchants selling things. Obviously not everyone agrees but in my opinion it was handy.

Darkmalice did it, you can too Arch :)

If there was an overwhelming no from the community (which there doesn't appear to be) I am sure Archaed would not do it.

There hasn't been an overwhelming "yes" either.  Honestly for anything like this to be implemented there should be a very large majority of votes in favor.  I would say the alternative should as well be true, however the map is already without advertisements, so voting to keep it the same shouldn't require a massive majority as nothing is being changed or altered.

Community can always go and make a separate map if it doesn't like the ads to I guess ;)

• Like 1

Community can always go and make a separate map if it doesn't like the ads to I guess ;)

Or the community can go make a separate map if they WANT ads and leave this original project alone.

But no seriously I'm surprised Arch actually asked us, cause I wouldn't have. Its a lot of work keeping a map up to date.

It would be stupid of him not to ask.  He did the right thing.  To clarify this, he didn't start the community map project.  He's the latest person in a long line of others who have updated the map since it's creation.  Seeing as it's not HIS creation and instead serves as an aid to the community, it's only right that he asked instead of just doing whatever he pleased.

Oh I know, DM was in my alliance. Was just saying I wouldn't, but I am a mean old man. :)

P.S I don't believe my gypsy fight youtube video worked, I am sad.