Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Suggested changes to enclosure and highway rules

I'm so tired of seeing people play the "I'm poor so you should let me keep my enclosures" card. If you can't afford to pay for a deed to protect your stuff then you will have to take your chances and hope your off deed pens don't get broken into. For that matter if you can't afford a deed then how is it you are managing to pay for Premium every month? For many bemoaning about the changes to the enclosure rule it's not about being able to afford to pay for a deed it's about being too cheap to.

People are so used to being able to pay an absolute minimum for all their sandbox freedom and still have vast areas off deed "protected" by enclosure rules that they never have an incentive to actually invest a bit more money to secure their assets.  The problem is one of attitude more than personal wealth. You feel "entitled" to go about your business without contributing much to the overall health of the game by paying for your experience while those who aren't penny pinching so much actually spend money to subsidize your game play. 

If you really can't afford to pay then you should quit or cut back  on some other expense. Wurm is a business, not a charity.

Finally Rolf is proposing changes which will force the games player base to mature and as usual it's those who invest the least who are up in arms about the changes. 

The game may be a sandbox but it doesn't mean you can (or should) be able to do anything you want, especially without cost. If you want land, you pay for it. If you squat then you take your chances. No more free rides to those who feel entitled to play the game exactly how they want without a fair contribution to support the game.

Oh and keeping dangerous animals off deed for breeding? Seriously? That's a choice. Feel free to campaign for better deed controls to stop templars killing your hostile livestock but don't you dare use that as a valid excuse to keep enclosures off deed when (like most things in wurm) you don't actually need to do this. The fact you can is nice but that shouldn't be a reason to prevent a change that will clear up a huge mess that blights this game.

Force the place base to mature? hahaha i highly doubt that when players can run around smashing stuff up "legally" then retreat to the safety of thier deeds.

Oh as of note i only have one enclosure and thats a farm for my villagers. But once again this boils down to new players saying old players are hogging land... which thier not i mean seriously theres still so much open space on the servers most of you are just to lazy to find it or teraform it by the sounds of it also old players hogging land? has absolutely nothign to do with this topic this topic is about gm's not being able to make effective rulings because theres a massive grey area in the rules.

Edited by Crack
  • Like 1

Begin with by eliminating Perimeters.  They do not work they way they are intended, very few people use them for expansion potential and almost all people feel they own that land.  Ownership entitlement leads to conflict when 1 person saying that he is paying for the land (which he is) and the other saying that he does not own the land (which he does not), eliminate the entitlement.

Take this ownership entitlement elimination to the next level, where it is land that is not even payed for, and you will begin to make a difference.  There are other ways to protect our items in game without putting a fence around it.  Put all the stuff you dont want stolen in your house for instance.  (And holy f^%k dont jump all over me by saying you own 9 million horses/cows and they wont fit in a house, or you don't log in for 4 weeks at a time and the animals will die.  Don't have that many animals, or make a donut house).  A completed building offers protection that nothing else in the game does, use it.  Everything else is at a persons risk, maybe do a better job of preparing people for this idea.  A fence can show that you are doing something inside of that fence, and most people will leave you alone, but a fence is not a wall.

Fences should offer deterrence, not ironclad protection, pretty much what a fence does in real life.  I have a fence around my yard but someone can jump over it and take something out of my yard rather easily.  Even if I call the police, little is likely to be done.  But if they break into my house, that is another level of enforcement that the police treat differently.

Another thing is to let people know that much of the "griefing" that occurs, happens within an easy distance from the starter deeds.  You want to reduce your risk?  Move away from the new players that do not know better.  Every server has plenty of space to settle on (even free, and good land) if you get far enough away from starter areas.

Again since some people seem to have missed it:

Enki

I appreciate the understanding that most of you are showing in this matter.  To the rest of you who are all "the end is nigh"...  We are not simply throwing away everything or tossing your efforts to the wolves so to speak.  If you will read Rolf's post properly you will see this is about suggestions for improving the current situation.

As he said, read properly. They don't want to get rid of the enclosures and highways itself, they want to replace the current rules about enclosures and highways with something that works better.

So stop whining how you are abandonned, when in fact you are about to get an increase in security.

And no matter what they do, be it special tiles, special deeds or special writs (still my favourite) it will likely be a mechanic that can't be broken, short of a bug, opposed to a rule that can only rely on good will.

Edited by Keldun
  • Like 1

Force the place base to mature? hahaha i highly doubt that when players can run around smashing stuff up "legally" then retreat to the safety of thier deeds

The fact you can is nice but that shouldn't be a reason to prevent a change that will clear up a huge mess that blights this game.

• Like 2

To those asking why they are forced to pay for 5 tiles of perimeter if it doesn't give them any benefit... 

answer, you don't, those tiles are free. they are intended as a minimum buffer so deeds don't get placed right next to each other,. they are not, and never were intended for anything else.

If you choose to buy additional perimeter, you are paying for the OPTION to deed those tiles later if you choose. that is the only thing you are paying for. the outermost 5 tiles are still free, and set to provide the minimum buffer should you ever exercise your right to expand your deed into the perimeter tiles you do pay for. Buying additional perimeter is a way to plan ahead for future expansion, without paying full price right away.

this is all in the screen where you choose to buy perimeter while founding or re-sizing your deed. 

The perimeter surrounding a settlement on all sides is purely to stop non-citizens from building or founding their own settlement - there are no other restrictions. You do not own and control the perimeter in the same way as the main settlement. On PvP servers kingdom guards will hunt enemies within the perimeter.

You get a minimum perimeter of 5 tiles out from your settlement border - this comes at no cost. But you can pay to extend this should you wish. The current cost is 50 iron per tile and the upkeep is 5 iron per tile.

There are no refunds for downsizing your deed. You will receive 50% back from the settlement form cost plus the upkeep fund (if over 5s) if you later choose to disband.

Again since some people seem to have missed it:

Enki

I appreciate the understanding that most of you are showing in this matter.  To the rest of you who are all "the end is nigh"...  We are not simply throwing away everything or tossing your efforts to the wolves so to speak.  If you will read Rolf's post properly you will see this is about suggestions for improving the current situation.

As he said, read properly. They don't want to get rid of the enclosures and highways itself, they want to replace the current rules about enclosures and highways with something that works better.

So stop whining how you are abandonned, when in fact you are about to get an increase in security.

And no matter what they do, be it special tiles, special deeds or special writs (still my favourite) it will likely be a mechanic that can't be broken, short of a bug, opposed to a rule that can only rely on good will.

Hardly an increase in security, by the sounds of it its more of im going to have to stop using my odd deed farm because i cant afford to fork out the extra cash (see rise in silver cost) to deed and maintain it, how is someone bashing my walls down an increase in security?

Also Rolfs post looks different to when i originally read it.. maybe its just me :S

But i cant see how Rolf intends to program and test any of the alternatives suggested within a month.

Edited by Crack
  • Like 2

The mess that blights this game is griefing. There is enough of it already on Freedom. If they can implement this without causing a system-wide grief festival because "I can so I will," then my hats off and thank you. If not, they are making a serious mistake that will result in more support calls than they have now. The bottom line is not how much they pay, how much they can pay, or if they even pay at all. It is the fact that there are some people who will wait for an excuse to make life miserable, some are very creative too, and this sounds like it could be a very welcoming excuse.

And I disagree with him making a decision to mature people. He is making a decision that could quite possibly unleash their inner idiot and make them very immature.

I do not like the idea that based on someone's ability to pay or not to pay, allowing them to be tormented in a game is okay somehow.

It's not a perfect world and there is no perfect solution but you can't base decisions on how it effects the least valuable assets a business has. 

Most people that grief are noobs with no interest in staying in the game long term. They can't bash but they can dig and dump, which is where most of the griefing comes from. Since these things can't effect people on deeded land (unless the mayor allows it) it again encourages people to invest in their homes security by deeding it. That's a plus really.

For the majority of other antisocial behaviour theres nothing much that can be done because freedom is crippled by its inability to take matters into it's own hands. You can't decapitate the noob who's dumping dirt inside your perimeter and calling gm's is very hit and miss. None of this is effected whatsoever by removing the enclosure rules. This sort of thing won't get any worse because people can now break into off deed enclosures.

The fundamental truth here is that with or without enclosures people can be jerks. Having enclosures contributes to preventing players from deeding land that would otherwise be paid for. Losing enclosure rules (especially for those who hoard land) means that people can invest in the game which is what Wurm needs to thrive. If that inconveniences some people that's too bad. They can either pay up to secure their territory or scale back / ragequit. Either way there will now be more people and land to deed which will replace any losses from people quitting in frustration at how unfair it all is.

But i cant see how Rolf intends to program and test any of the alternatives suggested within a month.

LOL maybe because the direction was already long ago decided upon and giving us the illusion of influence and the associated inter-player debate and bickering provides entertainment?

• Like 2

LOL maybe because the direction was already long ago decided upon and giving us the illusion of influence and the associated inter-player debate and bickering provides entertainment?

Precisely as i said before.... This is not a suggestion that much is clear, he will either implement what he wants or change his mind because people are against it.

• Like 1

It's not a perfect world and there is no perfect solution but you can't base decisions on how it effects the least valuable assets a business has. 

Most people that grief are noobs with no interest in staying in the game long term. They can't bash but they can dig and dump, which is where most of the griefing comes from. Since these things can't effect people on deeded land (unless the mayor allows it) it again encourages people to invest in their homes security by deeding it. That's a plus really.

For the majority of other antisocial behaviour theres nothing much that can be done because freedom is crippled by its inability to take matters into it's own hands. You can't decapitate the noob who's dumping dirt inside your perimeter and calling gm's is very hit and miss. None of this is effected whatsoever by removing the enclosure rules. This sort of thing won't get any worse because people can now break into off deed enclosures.

The fundamental truth here is that with or without enclosures people can be jerks. Having enclosures contributes to preventing players from deeding land that would otherwise be paid for. Losing enclosure rules (especially for those who hoard land) means that people can invest in the game which is what Wurm needs to thrive. If that inconveniences some people that's too bad. They can either pay up to secure their territory or scale back / ragequit. Either way there will now be more people and land to deed which will replace any losses from people quitting in frustration at how unfair it all is.

Well said. :-) Thank you. And sometimes a public decapitation would do wonders I think!

Creating a Highway -

1- Add a context menu item for right clicking on a tile with the shovel equipped "Highway"

2- Validate that the tiles connected to the corner the character is standing on are A) paved, B) have no unpassable slopes. This code already exists for digging, you're just calling the functions from someplace else.

3- Validate that there are no structures on more than one of a connected tile's borders. Or, in the case of a corner, that there are at least 4 borders connected to valid highway tiles. (both existing sides of a corner would have to be done before the corner tile could if there are buildings already present.)

3- Validate that the person doing the clicking is A) premium and B) owns a deed of any size on the server they're clicking on and C) has at least 60 paving skill.

5- If the land is not deeded (this includes perimeter tiles!) the person doing the clicking gets the "Highway > Nominate" option, on a deed only the deed owner can nominate a corner, and only if it is connected to existing off deed (including perimeter!) highway tiles.

6- If a corner has already been nominated as highway, any other premium player that is a deed owner gets a "Highway > Vote" option.

7- Including the nomination, once a corner has acquired 6 votes from premium deed owners that's it.. it's highway and cannot be modified further. This would result in the "some corners cannot be modified" type errors that one sees in digging currently. No changes to adjacent tiles that alter slope or the pavement itself will be allowed.

8- Going forward, a nominal cost per highway tile is subtracted from the global pool or king's fund or whatever it's called... the server as a whole has to pay for the highways to exist. 50% of the "revenue" collected by the king for highway tiles is distributed to deed owners who have valid voted in tiles (the reason for the off deed connectivity requirement, and the reason multiple deed owners have to be involved in voting the tile in) on their deed on a per tile basis. This provides compensation for people who are losing usable tiles to allow everyone else to get around their deed conveniently.

If someone is placing a deed on existing highway tiles they will get revenue from those highway tiles, but all other code still applies. The highway was already there, it's protected by the king, etc.

Removing a highway tile

1) Once a corner is highway, the "Highway > Remove" menu option is shown to premium deed owners when right clicking. Once this option is chosen a 24 hour timer starts.

2) If a tile receives 6 "remove" requests from premium deed owners in a 24 hour period it is removed from the list of highway tiles and loses its mechanical protections 24 hours later. During this period it can be nominated and voted in as highway again.

3) The "remove" option can be chosen by people without terraforming rights on a deed. This provides the player population with a method of removing cost from the pool if a deed owner who has highway tiles has done something to make them unpassable.

KOS:

If a deed owner sets anyone as KOS they lose any revenue they would receive for the highway tiles during that period. This gives the deed owner the right to conduct his land as he sees fit, but the king doesn't have to pay for it if he's not following the rules.

Gates, fences, buildings, etc:

Structures may be built only on borders that have only one highway tile connected to them. This should allow people to build along the outside of highways, but never build anything that crosses them.

Why?

The premium deed owner requirement means that the people who pay the most (traders not withstanding) to keep the server alive are the ones making the decisions. Since the whole argument for keeping the highway system in tact is that it benefits the whole server and the economy (again, traders?) would collapse without them, this is a way to make sure that those who reside on the server and are a contributing part of its economy are the ones who get to make the decisions about the roads.

Deed owners can rearrange highways, as long as they get the consensus of other deed owners on the server. If someone is paying enough money every month to pay for 6 premium accounts and maintenance on 6 deeds there are two mutually exclusive assumptions we could make. 1) that person isn't a griefer or 2) that person is a griefer who has access to enough resources that messing with highways is probably one of the more trivial things they could do and it doesn't matter anyway.

Deed owners can get compensated for giving up tiles, or they can provide an alternate route around their property ... they just need to convince 5 other people that it's a good idea.

Perhaps a change in how houses work.  Make a "wall" that is part of the house writ and follows housing rules, but can not have a roof over it and can grow grass.  House walls can not be bashed, but they do not make an easy way to protect animals for any length of time however.  By making an outdoor area of a house writ, then a person has protection along with some outdoor area. 

Applying the same housing rules would allow a new player with 20 carpentry to be able to make almost a 3x3 (not quite) area writ in any manner they like.  If they want more space, there are plenty of premium players with higher carpentry that will usually go plan a writ for someone.

A deterrence may be needed to prevent people from placing a large number of houses to lock down an area, but I imagine a limit on number of writs held by a person could be set (preferably offdeed limit, unlimited writs ondeed).

• Like 1

Enclosures and Perimeters need to have some rules changed. The Players are abusing the enclosure and perimeter rule to the max in more than a few cases.

Enclosures should be changed to protect new players as intended an 11x11 area is more than enough. There should be a Permit type form to have this in place for new players, but everything still decays like no deed.  The Enclosure Permit should be limited in duration as well, as the game is not F2P for ever to hold land indefinitely.  F2P should be similar to a trial of the game to see if you like it and want to play and pay to play it, not some never ending free reign of land that you continue to acquire endlessly over years all the while not paying anything to help keep the servers running.

Perimeter Size should be based on the amount of deed tiles you have, Deeds that are 11x11 should be limited to less than 10 perimeter tiles, this 45 perimeter around a 5x5 land area is just wrong and more than likely they will never be purchasing all of that land..  The max perimeter size should be scaled with the size of the deed in such a way that for x amount of deed tiles away from the token you can add another tile of perimeter around the deed and that should be maxed as well at 20 tiles or something.

Perimeters were made to allow space between deeds and for future land purchase. Perhaps its time to not allow anything on perimeter at all to built by anyone? In other words make perimeter tiles untouchable and not useable.  This way you would not have players making giant sized perimeters claiming they own it all in land grabs, because the size would be limited and they could not use it to build anything on.

I see no difference in the way some players are using Perimeter and fencing it off ( or not ) and claiming it as owned than someone making an enclosure.  If you remove the use of perimeters this type of abuse will end and no one will be able to claim anything one way or the other as owned in Perimeter tiles.  I would go even as far as to remove any perimeter at all from being purchased and only having the 5 tiles to keep space between deeds.

I remember the old Deed system and some lessons from that system could be learned just by going back and looking at the rules back then and applying some of them now.

At least they will be paying players. And lets be honest, most people aren't really that interested in breaking into enclosures when this goes through as only morons will keep valuables off deed that can now be legally broken into. Of course, If I had my way I'd let players beat eachother up for attempting to do such things buuuuuuuuuut that's a whole other argument for further down the line ...

• Like 1

Rolf can you be Totally Honest? I want to know is this all because you have a lot planned and are expecting a big increase in player base do to the new guy and stuff he will be able to allow you to do that you couldn't do before cause of limited engine ability? Are you prepping for a massive amount of players and to not have to make more server's cause people be saying they can't find land that doing away with enclosures and pretty much deed or lose it will open land grabs preventing you from having to make new server's to cover the increase?

What do you really have planned to add? I've been bouncing this off the wall trying to figure out why after 8 years you now want to do this so long in the game after it has been allowed for so long. You know you will be stepping on a lot of people's feet so Why after all this time now seems to be the right time to change it? I Study human emotion all the time and there is always a reason behind things psychologically.

I'm no Freedom player so take this with a grain of salt, but it seems to me the reason highways work okay on Epic is because majority rules.  If the majority of people living in an area want that road left alone, griefing it will get you hunted and killed, potentially on repeat.

But you don't need the violence, on Freedom can't you just have it majority rules?  Like, everyone gets to right click any highway within 5-10 tiles of a deed they belong to and "Vote to keep".  Anyone can also "Vote to destroy", and only a highway with a higher "vote to destroy" count can be destroyed.

Having a higher Destroy count does not destroy the highway, only removes the "indestructible" protection.

just a thought

• Like 2

And that is the problem with getting rid of these in Indy. We are not able to kill someone messing with things. Its going to go from peaceful (which we paid for) to listening to everyone arguing all the time. I will take my money elsewhere when this happens. I don't pay to listen to drama.

You don't pay for peaceful, you pay for access to the server and the ability to interact with the world and people within the confines of the games rule set. You got peaceful as a byproduct of your choices, the choices of those around you and pure chance. As such, it's your choice to put up with potential difficulties or walk away from the game because of those same potentials. If you think there will be drama, just don't watch it. Again, a choice.

If you want to be able to take the law into your own hands campaign loudly enough for it and you may eventually get your way. Lots will support you (I would), most won't but that's Wurm for you.

Simple rule for survival anywhere. Adapt or perish.

I really don't think, after following this a bit, that any suggestions were ever really wanted. Rather, it is merely dipping a toe in the water to test it before diving in. You know, looking for sharks and piranha. "Deed it or lose it." Short. Sweet. To the point. Simple to follow and implement. Paint me skeptical but, frankly, I don't even know why we were asked.

So since it seems settled (see here where a new problem is already being addressed), at least fix the containers on deeds and writs. All of my stuff is either locked or it is walled, fenced, gated, and so on and so forth - for now. Until those walls get jumped over or flown past when that's put in.

"Freedom" to take anything not nailed down without fear of death. That would make a good motto.

Wrong perimeters are only meant to hold land for future expansions and provide a barrier from others deeding near you. They where never meant to be 100% safe land.

Wrong, I can't expand any further, deed in every direction.  I'm far from the only one, and as i said before, given the cooky 15 tile per animal ratio, i used my perimeter to keep the ratio healthy, excess males/females (that proportion is always off, that's ok) for when i can pair them, and spares for ppl who need horses.

To those asking why they are forced to pay for 5 tiles of perimeter if it doesn't give them any benefit... 

answer, you don't, those tiles are free. they are intended as a minimum buffer so deeds don't get placed right next to each other,. they are not, and never were intended for anything else.

NOT FREE, "Free" means one has the option to not take it.

It's INCLUDED in the price of the deed, two very different things.  BASIC business.

I can say with certainty 1500 tiles won't get you a line of 5-speeders started from scratch without using the INCLUDED perimeter as a logical option to balance ratio.  I don't cull the parents to avoid inbreeding (what kind of stupid mechanic is that?) because it goes completely against my grain, had to do it IRL a couple of times.  There's a phobia mode for arachnophobes, my perimeter is that for my horse breeding program.

Besides, griefer fodder perimeter WAS NOT THE DEAL I AGREED TO WHEN I BOUGHT THE DEED.  I built and fenced parts of my deed according to that deal, now the value I paid for is slated to go down the drain?  I stick by my promise to reverse payments if my perimeter becomes the new playground for cowards who can't look for trouble in their own local bar or pvp servers at that.

I'll add to that promise, payments reversed, I'll make sure as many ppl as possible know exactly how to get it done right.

In the meantime, not buying another dime of silver until there's a satisfactory response about this that'll be fair to deed-owning CUSTOMERS (key word, here).  Not gonna spend money on a silver that can be randomly devalued to 70 copper because the poor little griefers aren't being pampered enough by their mommies or the devs.

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 4

I'm so tired of seeing people play the "I'm poor so you should let me keep my enclosures" card. 

If you really can't afford to pay then you should quit or cut back  on some other expense. Wurm is a business, not a charity.

Finally Rolf is proposing changes which will force the games player base to mature and as usual it's those who invest the least who are up in arms about the changes. 

Oh and keeping dangerous animals off deed for breeding? Seriously? That's a choice.

I pay 15 silver a month for my deed and have been premium for about two years.  Stop being an elitist twit.  You don't get to determine how everyone else plays or what can and cannot be important to them.  The intention of a sandbox is that everyone DOESN'T have to play the exact same way.  If someone is paying premium, they have just as much right to an enjoyable experience as you do.  Paying for a deed of course makes things easier, but taking the stance that a person should be PUNISHED when they are ALREADY PAYING PREMIUM is some elitist, bullying ######.

• Like 12

"Freedom" to take anything not nailed down without fear of death. That would make a good motto.

Not really Freedom, is it? There's more freedom on Chaos where you really can do what you like. Just there you have to accept that others by design are going to mess with you. Over on "freedom" you are only really free to do what you like on your own land as there are no mechanics in place to enforce your will outside of it, or even within it if violence is on your mind. If Chaos wasn't full of people who just want to murder eachother it would actually be a much happier place than Freedom Isles simply because the vast majority of anti social or griefy type crap that goes on over here would drop off if there were player driven consequences for those actions.

And I'm not just talking about the ability of kick someones head in who's being annoying, I'm talking about real people power to ostracize a player or village for antisocial actions. My guess is most long term players would want to avoid being griefy for fear of being alienated (which harms relationships, trade potential etc) but still allows folks to deal with those just out to cause trouble (mostly low skilled bored weekend warriors) should they happen by.

Trouble is the mindset of most freedom players is that any kind of player violence (against deed, property, persons etc) is a deal breaker. If this hangup wasn't getting in the way I'm pretty sure Wurm would be a lot more lively and a long way short of the complete murder fest the drama llamas prophecised.

Wishful thinking ..

Let's see.  I maintain 6 deeds.  5 on Deli and 1 on Release.  I know this is by far not the largest number held by a single person.  I also have 4 premium  accounts, again not the most accounts I am sure.  I do however get the feeling that I am one of those "least valuable assets this game has."  I have some enclosures using the space between 2 of my deeds and an off-deed mine entrance that is in an enclosure.  I am in the process of relinquishing all such spaces and fortifying my deeds.  However, I enjoy the PVE experience.

My final decisions will be based on how this all turns out but as an immediate consequence to the uncertainty this has generated, for me, I will only be keeping 2 accounts premium.  One on Deli and one on Release.  I will also be converting 2 deeds to minimum 5x5s and retain the additional space they have as "paid perimeter for expansion" should I continue in this game.  And it is a game.  I have been disappointed several times over the last couple of years with various unannounced changes.  At least this time I have some warning.  The immediate results of this then, in my case, it a decrease in revenue, albeit a very slight decrease, which depending on how this plays out will see that restored or further reduced.

I feel the "free players" are a valuable asset to the game as they help boost the economy with the items they do purchase and enlarge the community and enhance the player interaction and, as such, deserve a little more respect than I have seen in many of the associated posts as well as some form of protection from "bullies" (and that is what a griefer is) both premium and free.

• Like 5

Hey Wurm-Team,

i dont like the idea of chance highways and so on.

When i wanna travel it would be bad to drive left... then right... then left... and so on.

But the worse is when u legalize enclosure.

I think thats bad for newbees because the "Wilderness-Builder" who build off deed can robbed.

On the servers is enough room for new players.

Its a taste of PVP and open Greevers a lot of possibilities to make nonsense.

I dont like the idea of changes highway rules and enclosure.

Please dont do that.

Greez

Scope

I pay 15 silver a month for my deed and have been premium for about two years.  Stop being an elitist twit.  You don't get to determine how everyone else plays or what can and cannot be important to them.  The intention of a sandbox is that everyone DOESN'T have to play the exact same way.  If someone is paying premium, they have just as much right to an enjoyable experience as you do.  Paying for a deed of course makes things easier, but taking the stance that a person should be PUNISHED when they are ALREADY PAYING PREMIUM is some elitist, bullying ######.

It's not being elitist, it's being sensible. If someone goes to an expensive resteraunt and decides they can't afford to pay for a meal should the other diners pay out so he can eat? No, they make room for a paying customer to come along and eat an expensive meal while the poor guy goes home and has a tin of soup. 

If the poor guy can't afford to eat at a resteraunt he shouldn't be entitled to go there anyway and fill up on bread rolls. He lives within his means and not to the detriment of other people.

If you wanna sponsor a poor guy who can;t afford his own deed feel free to open up your village or wallet to make this happen.  Don't force the state to pick up the tab for those who aren't contributing to it.