Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Suggested changes to enclosure and highway rules

I'm sorry, I do not wish to hurt anyone's feelings.

I've been good with everything that has happened in this game thus far.

I for once am against this idea.

I, my wife, and my 9-yr-old son play this game together we log on every night, all three of us have paid accounts, not that we made the money in-game someone else paid for, despite the increase in costs over time.  We do make some money in game sometimes to off-set some of the costs, but not all, like many much older ppl who are for this do.

We live in a deeded town, and an off-deeded place a ways from that.  My 9-yr-old son likes to have his own place to make farms, and find animals in the wild and keep them. We aren't massive land grabbers.  I made him his own LITTLE place that we use in an area, that is quite a distance from most ppl.  We get along with our neighbors.  So when you break this rule, someone will come in and take his animals and ruin his crops, and I'm gonna be mad.  We've never had anyone mess with our off-deed place. 

I can see everything not under a deed being greifed for ppl to be mischeivious... if you ever played minecraft in it's early days, you know what I mean. 

I find it deploreable that you set rules, people pay their money for premium time, under the pre-tense that they can build and have fun (as a family in our case) protected from griefers assuming they follow said rule, then you wanna change the rule, and say but you gotta spend MORE money in additon now to protect your stuff in the game. 

A premium player(s) shouldn't have to pay more money to prevent greifing. 

Plus you get new ppl in who just want to solo build, and try the game out, as soon as the griefers come they're gonna quit. 

I have a feeling we're gonna lose some ppl on this one.

Sorry, Rolf.  Guess I can't always agree with what your doing in this game.

Understandable but you know that the enclosure you make.. you hasn't pay for that land? And you can pay that land to own it. The point is owning it not just secure/insecure.

I think the cost to make big deed is more steep than cost to even maintain them. My deed is 35x53, it is a 1855 of tiles, a LOT even if I decide to add 10 active players in. My upkeep is just around 3s a month, 1/3 of what I have to pay for premium. The problem is this deed require almost 40s to make. I was going to expand more, but due to north and east of me is ocean, I have to disband to expand... and after calculation.. I need almost 70s to recreate.. that almost make me puke blood but I managed to collect that many coins by selling stuffs in game.

Then I created a lovely looking shrine that stop me from even shrinking perimeter... which I am afraid it will stop me from redeeding. :(

Idea 1 for enclosures (only on Freedom, because obviously Chaos people don't care):

Make it so in addition to being able to just build fences anywhere, you can also "Plan" an enclosure with the hammer, just like planning a house.  There would obviously be no restrictions on slope, and there would be no control over actions taken by other people.  The size of the enclosure would be based on your (insert skill here) skill, so that there is a capped size for enclosures.  Enclosures create a writ and allow you to write on their gates, but do not provide any decay protection or any other benefits of a deed except the inability to bash the walls.  Enclosures provide no perimeter and there must be a tile between them so two people don't own the same fence/wall.  Enclosures also allow houses to be built inside them by their owner, but not by anyone else.  The writ would start to take damage if the player who owns the enclosure did not enter the enclosure for more than 24 hours, and would crumble after 72 hours.  At that point the enclosure would be bashable.

Possible downside:  People could create a latticework of enclosures and houses which extend outside of them.  But the requirement to be inside the enclosure to refresh it and making it have a fast decay time would prevent a lot of the things you people are talking about.

I'll just say it bluntly and simply then:

Take away the protection on my perimeters (ONLY PERIMETER TILES if i may add), and I'll take my money elsewhere, and payments will be reversed to as far back as possible.

This change of rules is NOT the deal I made when I agreed to pay for a 65x23 AND not grief other ppl into not deeding near me in case i'm forced to expand more.

Removing protection from perimeter enclosures is a BAD move, lots of deeds CAN'T expand without neighbors disappearing.  As for off-deed squatting, I like the 5x5, it's the area i squatted for a couple weeks *safely* long enough to convince me to deed up.

Don't punish paying customers trying to curb non-paying ones' benefits.  You can find more advice like this if you google "how to avoid corporate suicide".

• Like 2

Understandable but you know that the enclosure you make.. you hasn't pay for that land? And you can pay that land to own it. The point is owning it not just secure/insecure.

I think the cost to make big deed is more steep than cost to even maintain them. My deed is 35x53, it is a 1855 of tiles, a LOT even if I decide to add 10 active players in. My upkeep is just around 3s a month, 1/3 of what I have to pay for premium. The problem is this deed require almost 40s to make. I was going to expand more, but due to north and east of me is ocean, I have to disband to expand... and after calculation.. I need almost 70s to recreate.. that almost make me puke blood but I managed to collect that many coins by selling stuffs in game.

Then I created a lovely looking shrine that stop me from even shrinking perimeter... which I am afraid it will stop me from redeeding. :(

Your deed is at least 3s71c if it's that size, not including the guards or anything if you have them.  I think deeds are way too expensive, to be honest.  I would honestly have no problem with the enclosure removal if deed costs were halved so I could expand it without having to give up my life savings.  Also, we really need an addition to the resize form for deeds which would allow you to change the center of the deed (must be somewhere within the original area and the new area centered at that tile must obviously be valid and unowned, and the cost could be like 20c per tile moved or something) so that we don't have to absorb exorbitant costs to shift them in some direction other than outward.

Your deed is at least 3s71c if it's that size, not including the guards or anything if you have them.  I think deeds are way too expensive, to be honest.  I would honestly have no problem with the enclosure removal if deed costs were halved so I could expand it without having to give up my life savings.  Also, we really need an addition to the resize form for deeds which would allow you to change the center of the deed (must be somewhere within the original area and the new area centered at that tile must obviously be valid and unowned, and the cost could be like 20c per tile moved or something) so that we don't have to absorb exorbitant costs to shift them in some direction other than outward.

yeah I don't calculate the whole cost, not in game atm but I think you are right. Even 4s doesn't feel that expensive tho... the deeding it does... Maybe if deed cost reduced, people will be willing to consider deed all their enclosures but idk how it will turn out. It could be that 'the rich hog even more lands'.

New GM skill: tile lock

let GMs lock and unlock tiles. Lock tiles can't be altered nor can the border tiles on it.

Reinforcement skill: new skill for priest, mediation path or carpentry/masonry title on pve server

decay is normal but players can not damaged or do far less damage to fences they didn't build.

Edited by Kittysong
  • Like 2

i was always for public use of roads, areas and other places....    all servers must have same 2 wide highways with special pavement witch  cant be diged or removed at all...   only gms can pave areas with that protected pavement...  when new road is build in (2 wide, flat and smooth...) do support call and gms come around pave area with special pavement...   

highway there and protected... cant be removed cant be changed....  is there like server border.... :D

Not all highways are 2 tiles. We must think of the mountain folk here. People griefing roads that are considered to be highway at are on the mountains too. I like the special pavement idea though, could take sometime to pave them all though, so probably wouldn't be implemented 

Not all highways are 2 tiles. We must think of the mountain folk here. People griefing roads that are considered to be highway at are on the mountains too. I like the special pavement idea though, could take sometime to pave them all though, so probably wouldn't be implemented 

I still don't see why people say it would take GMs a lot of time, its not like they have timers to deal with when doing actions or limitations with weight.

Can someone help me understand this? I pay for templars on all my deeds because I don't want trolls bashing. I also like to keep wild animals. Therefore, I need off-deed (nearby) enclosures to keep the wild animals. Does this proposed change mean that anyone can break down the walls/fences where I house my wild animals? Also, I have some areas fenced in between my deeds that are not on deed, simply because the perimeters all over the place don't let me expand and include these areas. I'd love to pay for these areas to be on deed so I could stop having to repair fences constantly, but the four-way expansion system keeps me from being able to deed over them. Does this now mean that my little rice crop area is in danger, and my happy little magic tile area can be ruined?

Can someone help me understand this? I pay for templars on all my deeds because I don't want trolls bashing. I also like to keep wild animals. Therefore, I need off-deed (nearby) enclosures to keep the wild animals. Does this proposed change mean that anyone can break down the walls/fences where I house my wild animals? Also, I have some areas fenced in between my deeds that are not on deed, simply because the perimeters all over the place don't let me expand and include these areas. I'd love to pay for these areas to be on deed so I could stop having to repair fences constantly, but the four-way expansion system keeps me from being able to deed over them. Does this now mean that my little rice crop area is in danger, and my happy little magic tile area can be ruined?

While I also agree that deed need to be expandable one direction (two tiles going to one direction, token check if it can move to the new location), would like to explain that you can turn off templars agro on animals and it will only aggro on trolls (and valrei creatures on epic and chaos).

Tbh, I'd like to see directional expansion of deeds. Too many cases of people wanting to expand in one direction but cant due the other otherside hit someone perimeter. Better use of space.

• Like 3

Posting on my lunch break so haven't read it all - I apologise if this duplicates anything previously said.

It seems the main problem with enclosures if people fencing off huge areas of land - why not leave the enclosure rule as it is, but it's only enforceable valid if the enclosure in its entirety is within 10 tiles of your deed?

Highways being removed will be problematic. Some areas are already hard to navigate.

Edited by Delakar
  • Like 2

**Creating an account is free and you can play free of charge for an unlimited amount of time* with restricted abilities. If you want to buy premium membership to unlock high skill levels, just go to the shop and buy premium for 8€ per month any time you like. When premium time runs out, your skills get limited until you purchase premium again. It really is that simple.**

This is part of the welcoming message on home page of Wurm.

But is it really THAT SIMPLE anymore?

Now, I've read some of the posts made here, not all of them, can't stand the venom some "fellow wurmians" feel the need to spread everywhere.

I will not quote any post, and my opinions are strictly directed to PvE part of the game, as I don't PvP, nor do I understand the mechanics on PvP servers or am I interested in what happens there.

First of all, none of you can tell anyone "pay to play", as long the game allows f2p players. Period.

Is not anyone's business how deep one can afford to stick his hands in his pocket. Not everyone is rich, not everyone has enough wealth to compete with those who can spend every month hundreds of dollars/euros or whatever. For some of less fortunate people, playing a game online is the only distraction they have, and they shouldn't be judged by us, the wheel of fortune can always turn for anyone, and we might find ourselves in a not so happy situation anymore. Such comments show only intolerance and wickedness.

Back strictly on topic, I wish I have been told a month in advance HOW things will change, instead of being told they WILL change, though the ones making the change have no idea themselves what will they do. Seems the decision has aready been made, even if the developers don't have any solution for it, and nobody have considered all the consequences.

You cannot make preparations and get ready for a change if nobody tells you how the change will be implemented and what will replace the features intended to be removed.

I have a mine. The entrance is on perimeter, some tiles of it are on perimeter as well, most part of it is on deed. There is no way I can expand over the entrance, and there is no way to make another entrance.

Will anyone be able to bash the walls I built around the entrance, connected to a house gate, and - for now - being a "legal enclosure"?

I have hell horses and other wild mobs. I wish I could keep them on deed and avoid all those extremely annoying and time wasting repairs of fences around the enclosure. Is not a large enclosure, something around 15x15 tiles, right next to my perimeter. I cannot move them on deed because I need the templar, because I have mobs spawning in the mine, because I cannot decide which mobs to be attacked and which not.

I also wish I could keep them on deed, but I cannot, because the deed ratio claims every animal needs at least 15 tiles to live healthy and safe, while they actually need maybe 2-3 tiles, and they stick on the same tile (8-10 horses), still being relatively fine.

I wish - when I deeded over - I could place my deed over the 90% decayed building from the former deed existing there. I wish, but I couldn't, because rules say everything must go, even if it is only one standing wall. I liked the place, I decided I wanted to deed there, I had to place the token in not the best position.

Now I cannot expand because I touch someone else's perimeter, and I am not allowed to expand one direction, and I don't want to disband/redeed, because I've already spent enough money.

If we could deed over decayed buildings - with a decay rate higher than 75% or so, if we could expand the deed one direction only, things would be different.

I have enclosures on my perimeter, I pay for it, yet is considered free land and any vandal can dig, destroy roads, cut trees, mine, terraform, fence land with 80ql walls, haul away dirt and everything else (except building) they can imagine. Remember, I PAY for that land, less than I pay for deed tiles, but everything on perimeter decays, there is no templar protection; still, it is NOT my land. And when/if I expand over those already paid tiles, I have to pay again for them, because I'm "buying" them, beside the increased monthly upkeep.

Removing legal enclosures will take away any possibility to safe those tiles I pay for, they will be of no use for me, will seriously affect my game play.

Some people suggested "limited time safe enclosures for new players".

Okay, those will be safe for 5 to 30 days. But what after that? Basically, the "free to play game" will force anyone either to buy premium and deed their little plot of land, or join a random village, just to make sure their hard earned "possessions" won't be looted over night by anyone in a "predator mood".

There are people who can't pay for premium. There are people who pay for premium but can't pay for a deed. There are people who like to live away from others (this being a major advantage of wurm over other games - you can live on your own, without being forced to interact with others in any way if you don't want to).

What will happen with all these players after those 5-30 days of grace will end?

Making money in game is not as easy as some people will claim to be. Already established players, with dozens of free alts, will make anything you - the noob - can make, way faster, better, will lower prices, will offer free delivery.

Alright, is a free economy, understandable, but what chance a new player will have? If he has a boat, will be a rowing or a small sailing boat .. try and deliver 1k bricks with any of these. Or using a small cart, since large carts and wagons are designed for already premium players.

New or less rich players will be chased away from the game, and if they will ever can afford to pay for a game, will not look back to Wurm with love, but rather will find a more welcoming game.

Removing protection over highways would be another major issue.

First thing should be a very clear definition of what a highway means ... a minimum of tiles long, if it connects to another highway or plenty of regular roads or with two - active - places.

I can agree many so called highways lost their use, since the deeds they were connecting are long gone and replaced by wild.

I cannot agree with those who want the protection over highways completely removed. Will encourage griefing and abusing.

And for those not playing on Freedom, including Master Rolf, griefing and abusing are on high levels in Freedom, with new innovative additions every day.

What I suggest?

Give us protection over our perimeters, and give us the possibility of keeping legal enclosures on a 10 tiles radius around our perimeters.

Is not that much "free, unpaid for" land. Most of that land will be deeded over sooner or later, because everyone ended up deeding everything they could around their place, even if when they started they thought a 5x5 deed will be enough for the rest of their lives.

Give non-villager players the possibility to have a 10x10 fenced area, legal enclosure, where they can live in solitude, no matter if they are premium or not.

Remove the "legal enclosure" protection if two enclosures on free land are connected in any way, and/or they exceed a maximum size (10x10, 15x15, 20x20, whatever you think is most suitable.)

This will stop land grabbers without harming almost the entire player base.

Remove the "legal enclosure" protection over closed (aka "safed") mines on free land; make them public, without the possibilty to place a mine door or gate house, unless someone is deeding that place.

(If someone wants to deed there, should send a ticket to a GM asking for removal of "public" mark, then he will have a certain amount of time to deed the place).

Give us the possibility to expand the deed one direction only!!

Give us the possibility to relocate our token without having to disband the deed.

Give a clear definition to highways: length, width, connections to other facilities (deeds, highways, enough useful roads).

Then keep protecting those highways as they used to be.

Do not allow the construction of a highway without a GM permission, and do not recognize a new highway as highway if the permission wasn't asked before.

Remove the possibilty to alter a highway in any way before asking a GM for permission.

And also ... fellow wurmians, maybe refrain from comments like "deed it or lose it", "we pay to play, free players should pay themselves", "is not my problem if you cannot spend as much as I can", "if I can bash your fences, I will do it".

This thread wasn't intended for trolling, personal attacks, PvP against PvE, or posting only because you feel the need to "hear" and "see" yourself talking and writing without having anything constructive to say.

There are going to be major changes, and they will affect all of us.

Wurm will go on without "me" and without "you", but this isn't the place or the time to decide if we are needed for this game to carry on or not.

Let's try and find the best solution, we can hunt and insult each other later on, if you really need it, but now is the time for cooperation and brain storming and finding a way to save our beloved "home over internet" we share.

Edited by Methos
  • Like 10

First of all, none of you can tell anyone "pay to play", as long the game allows f2p players. Period.

Is not anyone's business how deep one can afford to stick his hands in his pocket. Not everyone is rich, not everyone has enough wealth to compete with those who can spend every month hundreds of dollars/euros or whatever. For some of less fortunate people, playing a game online is the only distraction they have, and they shouldn't be judged by us, the wheel of fortune can always turn for anyone, and we might find ourselves in a not so happy situation anymore. Such comments show only intolerance and wickedness.

But you see... They don't have to. That is the point. Nobody is telling those players to go compete with the rich. Some people dont need a deed to enjoy the game, you are not required to make your deed to play the game. You are making it sound like that in order for everyone to enjoy the game they have to make deeds, buy silver etc... They don't. It's why its a sandbox. There are no goals. 

Edited by atazs

Just leave the mechanics the way they are.

This way no more sloppy coding that will brake something else that will need fixing.

Deal with the problems at hand, such as bridges , sheep , mine lighting , zombies for animals at the moment.

Just leave well enough alone.

• Like 1

The reason for removing the highway rule is the same - unmanageable and inconsistent GM situation. 

<SNIP> You should consider making preparations for them being removed within a month, unless we see a showstopper for these.

I appreciate the understanding that most of you are showing in this matter.  To the rest of you who are all "the end is nigh"...  We are not simply throwing away everything or tossing your efforts to the wolves so to speak.  If you will read Rolf's post properly you will see this is about suggestions for improving the current situation.

The first line... it is about inconsistent rulings. That is because there is no real rule. Rolf has spoken often about grey area. That is because some things are beyond a code of conduct. For those, there are laws. "See that fence? Don't bash it. If you do, there are consequences." Also, there is the problem of people of low morals. They will bash a fence twice a day. It will seem as if it is decaying faster. It will fall down before other fences. They will also bash a fence, enter and pillage, put a new fence back up, then bash it to a level of decay the same as those around it. Or you can look at it this way... people exploit the fact that there is grey area so they can dance around consequences for breaking the code of conduct.

The biggest improvement you can make is a rule. A rule with consequences spelled out. If you do X, Y will happen to you. It is okay for a sandbox game to have a rule or two. I have no doubt the GMs will not allow wholesale pillaging to take place. Every time I have called a GM, the decision they made was fair and equitable. In the only dispute situation I had, I was ruled against. I didn't like it but it was fair. That, in fact, involved a highway and not a fence. I think the point most people make here is not with the GM team but with other players. It only takes one in your area to make the game not very fun for the people around them. And there is probably one in ever area.

• Like 5

I appreciate the understanding that most of you are showing in this matter.  To the rest of you who are all "the end is nigh"...  We are not simply throwing away everything or tossing your efforts to the wolves so to speak.  If you will read Rolf's post properly you will see this is about suggestions for improving the current situation.

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

But you see... They don't have to. That is the point. Nobody is telling those players to go compete with the rich. Some people dont need a deed to enjoy the game, you are not required to make your deed to play the game. You are making it sound like that in order for everyone to enjoy the game they have to make deeds, buy silver etc... They don't. It's why its a sandbox. There are no goals. 

Maybe read better my post?

And then read some other posts on this thread? A lot of people are telling - straight or in a "subtle" (they think) way to these players they should pay.

I was saying exactly the contrary. So once again, maybe read better my post?

Give us protection over our perimeters, and give us the possibility of keeping legal enclosures on a 10 tiles radius around our perimeters.

Is not that much "free, unpaid for" land. Most of that land will be deeded over sooner or later, because everyone ended up deeding everything they could around their place, even if when they started they thought a 5x5 deed will be enough for the rest of their lives.

Remove the "legal enclosure" protection over closed (aka "safed") mines on free land; make them public, without the possibilty to place a mine door or gate house, unless someone is deeding that place.

(If someone wants to deed there, should send a ticket to a GM asking for removal of "public" mark, then he will have a certain amount of time to deed the place).

These 2, no.

The first, if you right click and examine the ground in the perimeter, there is a name on it. Your deed. There should be no question that enclosure is owned. It is on land either required to have when you bought the deed or land paid for to reserve future expansion. That fence is owned by the deed who paid for it regardless of who built it. It's on their land. Outside of that, there is no mechanic. EDIT: Unless it is a (currently) legal enclosure with a building.

The second, why is a mine in an enclosure any different than a garden or a cow or a wild animal? It has a fence outside and a structure. It is reinforced (a mine fence) inside. Of course, this would assume that a legal undeeded enclosure exists in a month. But it is no different than any other enclosure.

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 1

Another decision Rolf will soon regret when the number of support calls soar as griefing becomes common practice.

Remove highway protection and i admit myself ill tear up roads that are built near my deed i dont like. At the same time the eye for an eye practice will come into play.. you tear up my road or smash my fence im going to have to retaliate... the GM's will never have a moments rest when everyones griefing each other...

Rolf while your at it just implement pvp on freedom so i can kill anyone and everyone in my local. 

Also my enclosure that myself and my alliance use took weeks to build (and no im not land grabbing its not even in a populated area) id liek reimbursement for the time and effort put into building it afterall i guarantee it'll get smashed up/ busted into by someone just because they can with this rule change. So Rolf no offence but i suggest you sit back and have a long long think about how much thisll affect Wurm, maybe play it for awhile and see things from a non - GM perspective.

If this change is implemented i can see wurm becoming more about griefing than building. Maybe rolf is after money? larger deeds? maybe not but this is defently a step backwards for wurm. You have effectively given freedom an ultimatum.... do your job for you or you intend to just remove the protection all together... nice.

Now i see why peopel used to say you only care for the pvp side of wurm.

I sure as hell know im going to grief 2 people ive had conflicts with. And they have quite a bit of Enclosed land built up on.

There is a simple fix to this problem, there are plenty of players that cannot afford a deed but do pay premium costs, allow every player to have 1 non drop non tradeable enclosure claim deed max size 5x5 no restrictions to how you can size it, no perimeters, make the coding so decay remains the same as it is right now put some restrictions like no one able to steal anything, terraform, destroy and thats a simple fix for enclosures while restricting them to code but still allowing small ones to exist. This will also help those players who have deeds but keep agro animals off deed due to having to set guards aggressive to animals or not.

This is already carebear pve server there is no reason to change it to griefing pve because that is in fact what it will become...

• Like 1

These 2, no.

The first, if you right click and examine the ground in the perimeter, there is a name on it. Your deed. There should be no question that enclosure is owned. It is on land either required to have when you bought the deed or land paid for to reserve future expansion. That fence is owned by the deed who paid for it regardless of who built it. It's on their land. Outside of that, there is no mechanic.

The second, why is a mine in an enclosure any different than a garden or a cow or a wild animal? It has a fence outside and a structure. It is reinforced (a mine fence) inside. Of course, this would assume that a legal undeeded enclosure exists in a month. But it is no different than any other enclosure.

It seems no fences are going to have a purpose anymore other than being decorative.

Perimeters should have been always safe, but they are not. If you cannot use for yourself some land you are paying for, why are you paying for it??

Yes, there should be no question of who owns that land, but try and place a fence on your perimeter, without a 1x1 on it, put a horse inside and see for how long that enclosure will last. On land you are paying for. And imagine how things will be after any legal enclosures will not be legal anymore.

Mines .. how many times we seen a public mine people were using for ages suddenly closed, and without any clue of who closed it? I know deed owners living in far north with mines in far south, only mines, they don't even visit in months, but they closed them only because they could. A 1x1 high level shed, public access removed (who asked everyone in the area if they needed that mine or not?), and a place which cannot be deeded over properly.

Is just my opinion.

But is also a "sensible" subject nobody brought up.

Edited by Methos
  • Like 1

I don't see why people are, saying this is a suggestion by Rolf (just because he used the word suggestion in the title) ... he hardly suggested it, if you read what he put its more of an ultimatum... he even gave a deadline where he'd just remove the rules entirely without a suitable replacement.....

Also many of you are suggesting the GM's can lock highways? wasnt the whole point of this to relieve GM workload and hassle?

I can imagine alot of support calls when a highway pops up and nobody wants it there, or someone tears it up before the gm can arrive (which will happen as GM responses are generally slow imagine if they had to go and protect every single highway on the server.....)

This change marks the death of community projects such as magranons scar that many people have put alot of time into, just because some ass will now come along and tear all the roads up for "Lols" 

Many of you wont rmenber the guy who used to make youtube videos of himself griefing players and their responces, with the rules removed i suspect we'll see such characters reappearing.

Edited by Crack
  • Like 2

I'm so tired of seeing people play the "I'm poor so you should let me keep my enclosures" card. If you can't afford to pay for a deed to protect your stuff then you will have to take your chances and hope your off deed pens don't get broken into. For that matter if you can't afford a deed then how is it you are managing to pay for Premium every month? For many bemoaning about the changes to the enclosure rule it's not about being able to afford to pay for a deed it's about being too cheap to.

People are so used to being able to pay an absolute minimum for all their sandbox freedom and still have vast areas off deed "protected" by enclosure rules that they never have an incentive to actually invest a bit more money to secure their assets.  The problem is one of attitude more than personal wealth. You feel "entitled" to go about your business without contributing much to the overall health of the game by paying for your experience while those who aren't penny pinching so much actually spend money to subsidize your game play. 

If you really can't afford to pay then you should quit or cut back  on some other expense. Wurm is a business, not a charity.

Finally Rolf is proposing changes which will force the games player base to mature and as usual it's those who invest the least who are up in arms about the changes. 

The game may be a sandbox but it doesn't mean you can (or should) be able to do anything you want, especially without cost. If you want land, you pay for it. If you squat then you take your chances. No more free rides to those who feel entitled to play the game exactly how they want without a fair contribution to support the game.

Oh and keeping dangerous animals off deed for breeding? Seriously? That's a choice. Feel free to campaign for better deed controls to stop templars killing your hostile livestock but don't you dare use that as a valid excuse to keep enclosures off deed when (like most things in wurm) you don't actually need to do this. The fact you can is nice but that shouldn't be a reason to prevent a change that will clear up a huge mess that blights this game.

Is just my opinion.

Yes, and you are allowed to have it. My mine would not fit on my deed. I have put a legal enclosure outside and reinforced it inside. It's tiny and it supplies me with nails as an end product. I just read your comment on mines as being any mine not on a deed and not as previously established mines intended for public use. In that case, I concur.

It seems no fences are going to have a purpose anymore other than being decorative.

Perimeters should have been always safe, but they are not. If you cannot use for yourself some land you are paying for, why are you paying for it??

Yes, there should be no question of who owns that land, but try and place a fence on your perimeter, without a 1x1 on it, put a horse inside and see for how long that enclosure will last. On land you are paying for. And imagine how things will be after any legal enclosures will not be legal anymore.

Mines .. how many times we seen a public mine people were using for ages suddenly closed, and without any clue of who closed it? I know deed owners living in far north with mines in far south, only mines, they don't even visit in months, but they closed them only because they could. A 1x1 high level shed, public access removed (who asked everyone in the area if they needed that mine or not?), and a place which cannot be deeded over properly.

Is just my opinion.

Wrong perimeters are only meant to hold land for future expansions and provide a barrier from others deeding near you. They where never meant to be 100% safe land.

• Like 1