Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Suggested changes to enclosure and highway rules

When I started to play, as most people in Wurm, I've read game and chat rules.

I considered what would I get in exchange for my money, based on official rules, and I decided it was a fair deal. I have paid for membership, and I kept on playing since then.

Over night, I am told those rules are going to change, in a way nobody knows yet, because they are used in a way which was unintended for, causing unmanageable and inconsistent GM situation.

More than that, I - the player, the customer, the buyer, the person who is putting his money here - I am asked to come with a solution. A solution which is supposed to contribute to CodeClub's revenue, since it is meant to determine players to keep on playing and - considering what those rules changing means - to determine players to put even more of their money into the game.

So, what's in this for me? Are you going to share your incomes with me, if I am going to offer you solutions which you WILL SELL BACK TO ME as part of the game I'm already paying for?

I have been told I can have "legal enclosures"; I put time and effort in making and maintaing them, now you are coming and telling me those were not intended to exist?  (No, I am not a land grabber, I fenced in my perimeter and around it, I'm using every tile there for animal breeding and new players temporary housing until they decide if they want to play further or not, and I don't even have to justify why I fenced offdeed, as long as it was according to official rules). Where have you stated it in those rules I agreed to follow? Where is my fault YOU, the seller, the service provider, the owner of a product you are asking money for, you have no idea what are you selling?

Why do I have to pay and be punished for your mistakes? Yes, punished, because you are coming and telling me all my work isn't safe anymore, despite the fact it was done strictly following YOUR rules?

Why are you changing only a part of the "not being used as intended" things in game? You brought up the traders issue as well, same time with enclosures and highways, but after 3 pages of complaints you locked the thread and forgot about it? I really would like to know WHY. (I know the answer, is too obvious, but I want an official explanation).

Traders can go "in a way it was not intended", but highways and enclosures can't? How this decision makes your behaviour fair towards all your player base?

I'm not going to offer you any solution, I'm a player, not a member of your staff. Is not my job to solve your problems, I am paying for your product, and I'm expecting to get what I paid for, based on what you promised to me and how you promised to protect my game play with the rules we both agreed on.

Sure, you can change the rules out of the blue, but this isn't going to make your company more credible, won't make me vote for Wurm on Steam or recommend the game to anyone else.

These are my 2 cents and I can't care less about it anymore.

Edited by Evening
  • Like 3

Forget it.  This post long ago became pointless.

Edited by Stormblade

You know games are supposed to be fun, right...?  Not everyone wants Wurm to be a second job.

Do you realize there are small tricks to maximize efficiency, right?

- More than one BSB can be fitted on a tile by planting it; four of them arranged symetrically even look really nice

- Horses can live very well in the farming area since they graze over crops; many people even say that this look better that steppe

- A house can have more than one level; nothing prevents one from having the workshop at the first floor, the guest rooms at the second level and the private rooms on third level - even reminds me of a lot of RL shops where the owner lives on the second floor

- Trees can easily be placed on a (now) non-legal enclosure on perimeter; really doubt anyone will destroy a petimeter fence just to cut your trees

- Another storage area and smithing area can easily be arranged in the mine

- A much cooler and space efficient solution to docks would be a boat cave

A deed doesn't have to be huge to be sufficient; even a small one can provide anything one needs for being self sufficient if it is used efficient. I planned my 23*23 in such a way that I even have extra space for beautification like a small barbecue area and spave for a few decorative trees here snd there.

Would be nice to afford a bigger one? Sure. But, if not, even a small one would do the trick.

-Just so you know, placing more than 1 BSB/FSB on a tile by planting is actually not intended, and we have been warned that that might change too some day, so I wouldn't advise new or old players to rely on it.

- Horses will pack your tiles making the tending you have done so far worthless and I hope you kept more crops in stock to replace the lost ones. This can be lessened if you keep only 1 animal per pen, so you would need to build even more fences that would need repair in an undeeded area. This is a fine solution for small deeds, but an awful lot of work in a freebies enclosure.

-Actually your skill level as a freebie will prevent you from building that second or third story. Multistory requires 21+ carpentry.

- People are destroying fences to get to trees now, they sure will after as well. You obviously don't know the players of this game very well (neither do I - I am surprised quite often at what people are willing to do with little to nothing to gain from it from my perspective).

-Storage areas in the mines are not safe any more.

-Boat caves open up your mines to griefers, and what you find "cool" is not necessarily cool for another player - and not even possible in many locations either.

All your suggestions have issues on a deed, and are counter productive on current legal enclosures.

END CLOSUER: Remove f2p, community seems to like the laws the way they are and Roads need a little update and some new tiles.

NOOB REMOVEL TOOL: Stupidity removal tool at least? Me and Hordern been waiting for that one for awhile.  To bad no way to link f2p fence to their avatar. Poof! them and the fence is gone, Prolly not practical idk I'm not a coder.

SOMETHING NEW? The tutorial has grew over the years and I have no idea how it is now, last time I went thru was like 2 maybe 3 years ago?

INSTANCE: I know it isn't really Wurm without the eye vast wilderness but, Is an instance of Wurm possible? f2p mini Wurm, a solo island where a GM wouldn't be needed? just a blank paper and let ppl make what they want in private to see if they want to continue. The stories of freedom got me going really. Heck I'd even give a small solo instance a try. not sure if it would slow anyone down from coming to p2p but, you can always limit what can be built. Or have a small deed well built and designed by the team, to give a certain feel about it, showing what is possible, the rules and so on. Leave little clues around the deed that talk about other skills and accessible features. I think one of the biggest lures of this game is the mystery. I loved it when I started it was wiki and your imagination. Some things were barely discussed openly. So many levels of Wurming.  

Instance portal at the end of the tutorial, just an idea...

If any changes are made to enclosure rules, I think some other things need to be changed as well. One thing is not being allowed to hold more than one deed form per toon. How can we protect our land, if everything is deed it or lose it? We can't all afford to pay for premium on countless alts. It also forces villagers to leave, when they want to stay but hold a deed somewhere for another reason. I don't see any reason for this limitation, other than forcing players to spend more and more money on the game.

• Like 1

END CLOSUER: Remove f2p, community seems to like the laws the way they are and Roads need a little update and some new tiles.

NOOB REMOVEL TOOL: Stupidity removal tool at least? Me and Hordern been waiting for that one for awhile.  To bad no way to link f2p fence to their avatar. Poof! them and the fence is gone, Prolly not practical idk I'm not a coder.

SOMETHING NEW? The tutorial has grew over the years and I have no idea how it is now, last time I went thru was like 2 maybe 3 years ago?

INSTANCE: I know it isn't really Wurm without the eye vast wilderness but, Is an instance of Wurm possible? f2p mini Wurm, a solo island where a GM wouldn't be needed? just a blank paper and let ppl make what they want in private to see if they want to continue. The stories of freedom got me going really. Heck I'd even give a small solo instance a try. not sure if it would slow anyone down from coming to p2p but, you can always limit what can be built. Or have a small deed well built and designed by the team, to give a certain feel about it, showing what is possible, the rules and so on. Leave little clues around the deed that talk about other skills and accessible features. I think one of the biggest lures of this game is the mystery. I loved it when I started it was wiki and your imagination. Some things were barely discussed openly. So many levels of Wurming.  

Some good ideas... instance would require the server code though since the client doesn't do a lot of the processing.

I don't see why it would be difficult to record ownership of fences if it's not already happening. Everything else in the game has an owner.

It all boils down to the old bait and switch which has been mentioned here before. Force players to spend more money and if you can't afford a deed then you shouldn't be playing wurm, that's the new mindset which is complete BS. Since the prices increased, more and more players did have to resort to legal enclosures. I'm not one of those people, however I don't think it's right to force this on loyal customers who were there in the past. Wurm player base is still small compared to other MMO's. I don't think it's a good idea or business plan to try and force your hand into everyone's pocket.

Now on to my next point.. Over the years companies have seen their own demise due to the failure to listen to the customer. I CAN show references but most of us here should know a few of those companies. Why in the hell would anyone pay for a service they're not going to get is beyond me and this is where it's headed. The majority of the people here have stated time and time again that the removal of these rules will be the end for them. We, as paying customers, will not pay for a crap game lol it's that simple.

Please don't get me wrong, I think that greed is a terrible thing.. however, why is it that EVERYONE must pay for the greed mongers. I know a few people who have legal enclosures and this will completely destroy their gameplay.. if I were in their situation, I wouldn't stay with Wurm either. Lets face the facts here, the individuals here who are FOR removal of the enclosure rules already have a medium to large deed. Not my own words, their words.. 71x71, 23x23, etc. . . I truly believe that owning a 71x71 is more of greed mongering the land than owning a 23x23 legal enclosure but nobody says anything about that.. why is that? Classic rich vs poor BS.

That leads me to believe that this is simply a bait and switch tactic. I will not support a company that will shamelessly utilize this type of tactic.

"The suggestion is to remove these rules, and replace the newbie situation with another solution." - Rolf

He basically says that older players that are poor don't deserve to participate in the Wurm experience by screwing them over with their "legal enclosures" and looking for fresh money out of the pockets of new players. He's trying to rely on new players and could care less about old players.

"The rule is however used in other ways today which is unintended and it causes lots of unintended work for our volunteer GM team" - Rolf

Do you truly believe a grief fest isn't about to take place lol, they can't handle the current situation so what makes you think they can handle MASS GRIEF? Whatever though, if this continues.. you'll find out the hard way :D

• Like 1

[07:24:11] You see a patch of grass. The grass is wild and seem to like it here.

[07:24:11] This is within the perimeter of Tranquility.

[07:24:13] You see a patch of grass. The grass is wild and seem to like it here.

[07:24:15] You see a patch of grass. The grass is wild and seem to like it here.

[07:24:15] This is within the perimeter of Tranquility.

[07:24:17] You see a patch of grass. The grass is wild and seem to like it here.

[07:24:18] You see a patch of grass. The grass is wild and seem to like it here.

[07:24:18] This is within the perimeter of Tranquility.

[07:24:19] You see a patch of grass. The grass is wild and seem to like it here.

Doesn't say "This is within a dead zone intended as no-man's land".

Also... I'm the only Wurmian who can place a structure there (I tried to help someone build on his own perimeter once, wasn't able to) ....... coupled with what the settlement form says, it was kind of expectable for people to use their perimeters.  NOW you want us all to fall in with... *the vision* ... 

How do people say... ah yeh... 

I guess you should have thought of this before.

Here's a vision:  People quitting, blogging about why they quit, revenues drop, influx of new players drops, you go on Steam, you get new players, most quit as usual, but even more quit because on day 2 they went to bed, woke on day 3 to be robbed blind, some stay but some quit after reading up on their options and finding references to this thread.  For those who stay anyways, you pull another nerf on paid stuff because of "the vision", those people quit, some blog about it, and end up referencing blogs from this fiasco.  Wurm goes from unique in the gaming industry to "one of those pay-2-win games that calls itself f2p and changes the rules every 5 seconds to get more money out of you".  Good luck losing THAT reputation once you have it.

• Like 3

Rolf:

If you believe that every newbie should have a small amount of "safe" land then you should just grant every premium character the ability to plant a tiny deed. It doesn't need to be big, only a few tiles in each direction. You only need enough for a shack and some crops.

If a premium character is part of another deed, that deed gets a small amount of upkeep for free equal to those tiles that any premium gains as part of being premium.

This should not be extended to non-premium as it would be terribly abused very, very quickly. In fact, I'd suggest that if the premium ends, your upkeep on that freebie deed ends too.

The other reason I don't think non-premium members should get this benefit is because if you are not paying to support the game, you aren't paying the cost of the servers, so you can't reserve a piece of the land that is permanently on the servers. A game like Rifts can get away with letting F2P have land because that land is instanced and does not block someone else from using a piece of property.

If you really want the F2P to have an option for securing land without the "full" cost of premium, put something for sale that allows them to buy the tiny plot of land and then they can put upkeep into it.

• Like 1

From Deathangel's post:

The reputation penalty should last a decent amount of time as their is a sparser active population at any given time on WURM now than five years ago and a player could simply be destructive and hide out for the duration of his penealty, Some would do this no matter what so make them all trackable during their penalty essentially loosing any protection from PVE completely during this time.

From rosedragon's post

I Love the idea of renting houses, that has got to be the single best idea I have heard to date, when I was griping about substantial avenues for a strong active economy on WURM (interactive that is) that is one of the types of things I would have envisioned, Awesome idea.

Edited by Notchmand

I like this.  But to retain the skills built while in the instance?  That is my question here.  Sure, they are obtained legitimately, but could see people using it to farm characters to sell...  bad idea.  Like the concept tho.

Read the first quote. That doesn't sound like *IF* to me. That sounds an awful lot like, unless cows fall from the sky, it's gonna happen.

Howzabout you go and talk to your boss, get us some REAL insight about what's actually intended here, and then we can all be actually INFORMED instead of letting fears run rampant without any real, solid, explanation of what's truly on the big cheese's mind, eh?

Now, toddle off and talk to the king, and don't come back without some actual answers! :)

Of course there is always the really wild thought, be grateful for the heads up about coming changes. After all the staff gets slammed on a regular basis for not informing before hand  , when they do  this is what happens? Really?  Seara only tried to offer a bit of input to the best of her ability at this time.  We all know it is wait and see at this point. Lashing out any further does nothing constructive.  Anyone that uses off deed enclosures has time to work out alternative arrangements thanks to the heads up. 

• Like 6

Can i Suggest Some sort thing for non premium players? There was some kind of system in effect long ago where people had some sorta of benefit to beginners, i think it was the Homestead thing?

As for HIghway management, How about making Asphalt in game for the paving skill, and allow players of 70 paving to lay it and Paving of 70 + digging of 50 to remove it/dig over it. Since a number of players at that point can manage to decide if the change is worth the effort, or childish. + griefing is halted to some extent. The community is nice so im sure people wouldnt mind helping people change some stuff.

I'm a long term Enclosure-er as I do not have a job or steady source of income to afford a deed let alone premium in it's own. Infact im still making changes to my land even. I'm more than happy to welcome people to my place despite not having a deed but even then that drives many away who are set on joining an actual deed. I just want to say If my home, animals and effort are for nothing and open to be bashed and looted. I will not be happy, and be more so inclined to not wish to purchase a deed. 

I'm trying to save up crops to afford a deed, but premium has to happen or more time is wasted, there for it's a maddening cycle of what to pay for first, why waste 1s a month when it'd take me a mere month to make it back, and by 3 months comes I'd have 3s less to expand, and more to throw at expansions.

• Like 1

Of course there is always the really wild thought, be grateful for the heads up about coming changes. After all the staff gets slammed on a regular basis for not informing before hand  , when they do  this is what happens? Really?  Seara only tried to offer a bit of input to the best of her ability at this time.  We all know it is wait and see at this point. Lashing out any further does nothing constructive.  Anyone that uses off deed enclosures has time to work out alternative arrangements thanks to the heads up. 

The warning is appreciated. Very much so. They just forgot the other half of my ninja bomb complaint... info on what's coming. He set a date, a month, and said now tell me what you think would fix it. He didn't tell us anything at all about his suggestions. If we don't have anything better than his intentions, a "showstopper," his intentions go in but what are they? We argue around in circles in here and go back and forth fighting about the same thing post after post over the suggestions people made but we have not argued a word for or against the intended fix because we have no idea what it is. I'm betting on flying and jumping, which he also never gave a response to our suggestions he asked for and entails exactly what he asked again here. He even said the code was ready or in place or something and that these rules have to go for those to work. If that code is in place or ready to be put into place, would that not be the "show" to stop? People were against flying it seemed to me. So the "bait and switch" I spoke of earlier didn't really have anything to do with money. It had to do with "You ask a question one way and don't like the answers so you turn around and leave part of the question off and ask it again without ever replying to your previous question's answers." He never said, "Okay, people don't seem to like this" nor did he say, "People would like it this way." He just let it be forgotten about after 3 1/2 months and asked it again. That's the bait and switch - get us arguing over a rule that even if left in place when flying happens would be absolutely negated by flying. One way or another, if that is his intentions, all enclosures, not just the off-deed ones, are going to be worth about as much as farting into a hurricane to try to change its course.

• Like 4

Just a simple yes or no to this question from Rolf or someone who speaks with authority on this behalf would be great. Are you implementing your previously suggested jumping and flying idea in approximately one month which requires the "Legal Enclosures" rule to be removed? Yes or No.

Once we have an answer, and I'm not holding my breath on getting one because I know better, we can focus our arguments to facts and not speculations.

EDIT: This thread, including some of my own posts, is a train derailment. Some kind of official information would be very nice.

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 2

If jumping and flying even hit this game it is not a debate for me no longer I'll drop this game like a stack of bricks.

• Like 6

If jumping and flying even hit this game it is not a debate for me no longer I'll drop this game like a stack of bricks

Agreed..

PERIMEtER IS PUBLIC LAND.  This statement has caused more trouble to wurm than anything i can think of,  No where in the rules have i seen it designted as public, it is misinformation given to new players that has created countless problems. Players rolling into a perimeter and hualing off several thousand dirt cannot be allowed.  When you buy a gallon of milk and get one free can ayone in the store walk up to your cart and take it out because its labeled free ?   We are given 5 tiles of perim free as a bonus for buying a deed, this was and still is a very good marketing stategy.  It is attached to a deed and should come with protection.  We all know it was put there as a buffer to provide access to an area with no other access option. Its a big stretch to take that concept and turn it into public land that can be hauled away within the rules.  I do think adding a 1 tile "Kings Land" (that can only be paved) to outer perimeter would be a good idea, then code in no bashing on perim. Those with existing perims could expand one more tile to save whats built on perim, and in cases of deed lock work it out with neighbor. Yes in some cases gm intervention would be required.

• Like 2

Or like many countries do IRL... "You can have coastal property, but you have to give a piece of your property to ensure open access to the shore".

I leave gaps between my perimeter fields so myself and anyone else can jump into the deed and shake that hungry troll.  In some parts it's also used for roading.

"Fence your perimeter, but every 20th tile must have a gap between fences".

PERIMEtER IS PUBLIC LAND.  This statement has caused more trouble to wurm than anything i can think of,  No where in the rules have i seen it designted as public, it is misinformation given to new players that has created countless problems. Players rolling into a perimeter and hualing off several thousand dirt cannot be allowed.  When you buy a gallon of milk and get one free can ayone in the store walk up to your cart and take it out because its labeled free ?   We are given 5 tiles of perim free as a bonus for buying a deed, this was and still is a very good marketing stategy.  It is attached to a deed and should come with protection.  We all know it was put there as a buffer to provide access to an area with no other access option. Its a big stretch to take that concept and turn it into public land that can be hauled away within the rules.  I do think adding a 1 tile "Kings Land" (that can only be paved) to outer perimeter would be a good idea, then code in no bashing on perim. Those with existing perims could expand one more tile to save whats built on perim, and in cases of deed lock work it out with neighbor. Yes in some cases gm intervention would be required.

Swear to god its like people don't read anything when dropping a deed:

"The perimeter surrounding a settlement on all sides is purely to stop non-citizens from building or founding their own settlement - there are no other restrictions. You do not own and control the perimeter in the same way as the main settlement. On PvP servers kingdom guards will hunt enemies within the perimeter."

When you are setting a perimeter for your deed this is stated ON THE SCREEN. You can build all you want in it but it will get no more protection than as if you went out in the middle of nowhere and built a house.

Edited by Rasu
  • Like 1

Swear to god its like people don't read anything when dropping a deed:

"The perimeter surrounding a settlement on all sides is purely to stop non-citizens from building or founding their own settlement - there are no other restrictions. You do not own and control the perimeter in the same way as the main settlement. On PvP servers kingdom guards will hunt enemies within the perimeter."

When you are setting a perimeter for your deed this is stated ON THE SCREEN. You can build all you want in it but it will get no more protection than as if you went out in the middle of nowhere and build a house.

You are among them. They put legal enclosures in their perimeter that have been just fine and dandy for how many years? They offered no more protection than any other "legal enclosure" on the map for how many years? Most of these people are not out landgrabbing massive patches of land in fences. These people are using 5 tiles no one else can build in. Are you not reading that? They are not asking for a replacement protection rule for 100x100 tiles of undeeded prime land. They are asking for a protection plan for 5 tiles of trees or champion pets in a tiny area around their deed that no one else can deed over, expand into, or build a structure in.

To use your tone, "Swear to god it's like people are just looking for any excuse to pillage whatever they can get their hands on and eagerly await this rule change so they can go on a PvE raid bashing no longer protected fences so they derail requests at every turn to ensure they get to." (It's quite easy to put words in people's mouths by the way.)

• Like 2

You are among them. They put legal enclosures in their perimeter that have been just fine and dandy for how many years? They offered no more protection than any other "legal enclosure" on the map for how many years? Most of these people are not out landgrabbing massive patches of land in fences. These people are using 5 tiles no one else can build in. Are you not reading that? They are not asking for a replacement protection rule for 100x100 tiles of undeeded prime land. They are asking for a protection plan for 5 tiles of trees or champion pets in a tiny area around their deed that no one else can deed over, expand into, or build a structure in.

To use your tone, "Swear to god it's like people are just looking for any excuse to pillage whatever they can get their hands on and eagerly await this rule change so they can go on a PvE raid bashing no longer protected fences so they derail requests at every turn to ensure they get to." (It's quite easy to put words in people's mouths by the way.)

You included seeing as how my only comment pertains to READING. They go on and on about there being nothing in the rules about perimeter but if they bothered to read a damn thing on the setup screen when dropping a deed NONE of them would be here complaining that they now have to worry about someone bashing into some enclosure (that relies on a rule never meant to protect anyone but new players). I eagerly await the day that they finally hard code a way to do what they intended the enclosure rule for when they put it in.

Also if you are wondering from my first day in wurm I lived for almost a month in a legal enclosure and back then this rule protected me when someone broke into my enclosure and took everything I had in a FSB. But now after I was able to transition into a deed owner I have never used a "legal enclosure" for anything. I see no need to use it or rely on what has become a spotty system of enforcement where they cant always tell who is in the wrong or the right. So if you want to continue to see me as some barbaric person who wants to bash into pens and take whatever I can, go right ahead, it only shows me that you all are all self entitled little kids who think that just because they pay for something its there's to do whatever they want with it even with a flimsy GM case-by-case system to back it up.

http://m.101greatgoals.com/wp-content/gallery/gimages/imtek6xcwq5ka.gif

I don't know why you guys are all worried about your walled in perimeters. Walling in land you pay for (at whatever payment level) isn't the problem. The problem is the people who wall in 100x100 tiles and don't pay for 1 single tile inside.

The majority of the player base isn't interested in going to your village's perimeters and bashing down the walls. There may be a few twisted individuals who might do it for the lulz, but most people will respect that it's part of a village.

Now, if you have a large, unpaid, fenced in area to prevent people from deeding near you, or if you are breeding hundreds of dociles in said pen.... it's going to get bashed into. Your land hogging is not appreciated, and/or your overabundance of docile critters is preventing the area from spawning things to hunt. Your greed is hurting other players, and it will be corrected.

• Like 1