Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Suggested changes to enclosure and highway rules

Back strictly on topic, I wish I have been told a month in advance HOW things will change, instead of being told they WILL change, though the ones making the change have no idea themselves what will they do. Seems the decision has aready been made, even if the developers don't have any solution for it, and nobody have considered all the consequences.

You cannot make preparations and get ready for a change if nobody tells you how the change will be implemented and what will replace the features intended to be removed.

The thing that concerns me, and is nothing short of hilarious is that Rolf has said: "The suggestion is to remove these rules, and replace the newbie situation with another solution. There are quite a lot of good ideas floating around. You should consider making preparations for them being removed within a month, unless we see a showstopper for these."

This is essentially saying: "I have zero idea wtf we are going to replace these rules with, IF any, but hey, we're gunnin' to remove them. Unless we see a 'showstopper' of course.

What exactly is a showstopper, Rolf? Your customers being so fed up that they just refuse to pay you anymore? Would that qualify? Because that's what I see happening here.

You have NO CLUE what you are going to replace these rules with (or if you are, and have already decided, you aren't sharing that info with us...). yet you are running full speed ahead with removing them and telling us to prepare for their removal.

How exactly do I 'prepare' for something when I have no idea what, if anything, it is going to be replaced by?

Should I 'prepare' just to have my lands savaged when these protections go down? And how exactly do I prepare for that?

I think I'll follow someone else's idea on how to 'prepare' for this until I see how this all pans out...

"Throws credit card in the freezer."

Whether it ever comes out again or not will entirely depend on how this pans out, and if I have to devote even MORE of play time to avoiding being endlessly griefed, instead of building what I want to build or do what *I* want to do, in a game that I pay an arm and a leg, beyond ANY other online game subscription, to play.

I've spent more money in Wurm in two months than I spent in LOTRO in over 6 years. And still, you want more...

• Like 1

Yet you do feel entitled to the land, which someone else has secured with their enclosures. Even so much, that the rule has to be removed.

No. I feel entitled to the land I've paid for. I just don't like other people hoarding land that's unused or kept as a personal hunting reserve that more honest players are could deed on because the rules allow it. Why should I (Or anybody else) pay 40s a month for land that another person pays nothing for just because they decided to fence off a vast area and stake a claim? Is that fair to anyone? Should I instead be raging at Rolf to make my deed free because someone else gets away with controlling the same amount of tiles for nothing? Absolutely not. The blame is with the hoarders and the rules that allow it. 

I'm so tired of seeing people play the "I'm poor so you should let me keep my enclosures" card. If you can't afford to pay for a deed to protect your stuff then you will have to take your chances and hope your off deed pens don't get broken into. For that matter if you can't afford a deed then how is it you are managing to pay for Premium every month? For many bemoaning about the changes to the enclosure rule it's not about being able to afford to pay for a deed it's about being too cheap to.

If you really can't afford to pay then you should quit or cut back  on some other expense. Wurm is a business, not a charity.

(Ad nauseum + additional soulless blathering...)

Edited by Belrindor
  • Like 5

[...]

Oh, and whilst we are at it and on the topic, I've never seen a game in my life where I'm charged a monthly subscription fee PER CHARACTER that are on my account on the same email address. I find this a devious and crappy way to do things.For example, In LOTRO, I have over a dozen characters. For which, I pay ONE monthly fee. I don't pay 12 monthly fees, and neither would anyone else with any common sense.

I have three toons in Wurm. Two of which are Premium, and one of which that is not. But it's about to go to one Premium. I just can't see paying an exorbitant bi-monthly subscription fee for two characters on the same account.

FFXI used to charge for each additional character (was only like $1 per, but still, an additional charge for each character you wanted)  A couple other games also did/do this, but they tend to be "Asian" MMO's (which depends on your gaming style/habits as to if they count as "mainstream" or not).

• Like 1

No. I feel entitled to the land I've paid for. I just don't like other people hoarding land that's unused or kept as a personal hunting reserve that more honest players are could deed on because the rules allow it. Why should I (Or anybody else) pay 40s a month for land that another person pays nothing for just because they decided to fence off a vast area and stake a claim? Is that fair to anyone? Should I instead be raging at Rolf to make my deed free because someone else gets away with controlling the same amount of tiles for nothing? Absolutely not. The blame is with the hoarders and the rules that allow it.

Getting more interesting.. players who use enclosures are now dishonest? What makes someone honest? Willingness to pay for a deed? I guess most of us here have deeds.

And BTW, current rules allow deeding over enclosures, so this isn't the problem here.

While the hoarders are a problem, it isn't as big as everyone tries to make it... Problem is mainly psychological. There is a locked place which can't be accessed by everyone, but that makes everyone want to get inside even more. So it brings the main motivator in MMOs into the play - jealousy.. "If someone has something, which I can't have, let's take it away from that someone too, better yet, lets take it away from everyone."

Ok, realistically you pay your 8 euros a month for your premium and a one time investment of 10s to buy a deed form. If you're not looking to have larger than the default your outgoings for the deed is 1s a month. As you now get 1 sleep powder a month just for being premium that you can sell anywhere for between 1.25 - 1.5s you basically have to pay nothing on top to maintain your little deed beyond the initial purchase. Then you have your skills which you can use to barter for goods, services and coin which basically allows you to pay for your anything else you may want to buy without having to dip into your wallet. 

Remember, deed cost is a one time investment with a 1s a month overhead which anybody who has played more than a month is quite capable of earning IF they make the effort.

FFXI used to charge for each additional character (was only like $1 per, but still, an additional charge for each character you wanted)  A couple other games also did/do this, but they tend to be "Asian" MMO's (which depends on your gaming style/habits as to if they count as "mainstream" or not).

Sure, I'll pay an additional $1 per month for each additional toon. Maybe I'd have a few more 'Premium' toons then, and so would everyone else. Would also increase customer retention and happiness. (Which would equal... gee... more money for Wurm, overall...) ;)

Getting more interesting.. players who use enclosures are now dishonest? What makes someone honest? Willingness to pay for a deed? I guess most of us here have deeds.

Just ... sigh. Taken out of context much?

You guys go about your business. When the change comes I'll enjoy watching you throw your tantrums and threatening to quit but not actually doing it like usual.

• Like 1

Some people can afford to pay either for a deed or for premium, but not both. Let's be a little bit realistic here, shall we? The rate for this game is nothing short of OBSCENE. Premium + Deed cost is in Euros. I don't where the rest of you live, but here in the US this means that every time I buy silver or buy premium it costs more than it did yesterday due to the conversion rate.

In contrast I've subscribed to other games for years. Monthly price? $14.99/mo USD. Price 8 years later? $14.99/mo USD.

Here's what I suggest. Stop divorcing deed cost from premium. We all know that one without the other is extremely silly in this game, in most instances.

So here's what you do:

Charge us $15 USD per month. This includes Premium for a month and a deed that includes the basic 11 x 11. Anything beyond that 11 x 11 is charged at an additional TBD reasonable cost.

Oh no! You say. Wurm would lose money!

No, actually, you'd be making money, hand over fist, and you'd get some customers back, and people would not be so hesitant to shell out $15 to try your game vs the $40 or so they have to shell out for a deed + Premium just to see if they like it or not.

$15? No big thing. Even folks on a budget won't wince at that.

$40? Not happening. I imagine most people will take one look at this, log off, and never log on again. I blame this for Wurm's low player numbers. In short, you're too greedy, mate.

Your real problem is that you are massively over-priced in a market where prices are coming DOWN, your's are going UP. Couple that with under-performing customer service and customer relations, and the near constant undermining of player and customer confidence, and you have a real recipe for disaster.

But it's very easy to fix. Consistent monthly subscription fee that covers basic game time for the month, and a basic deed. Can't get any easier than that. And all of this = happier customers.

Oh, and whilst we are at it and on the topic, I've never seen a game in my life where I'm charged a monthly subscription fee PER CHARACTER that are on my account on the same email address. I find this a devious and crappy way to do things.For example, In LOTRO, I have over a dozen characters. For which, I pay ONE monthly fee. I don't pay 12 monthly fees, and neither would anyone else with any common sense.

I have three toons in Wurm. Two of which are Premium, and one of which that is not. But it's about to go to one Premium. I just can't see paying an exorbitant bi-monthly subscription fee for two characters on the same account.

I'm out of likes for the day, but I just wanted to say LIKE! SO HARD!

Ok, realistically you pay your 8 euros a month for your premium and a one time investment of 10s to buy a deed form. If you're not looking to have larger than the default your outgoings for the deed is 1s a month. As you now get 1 sleep powder a month just for being premium that you can sell anywhere for between 1.25 - 1.5s you basically have to pay nothing on top to maintain your little deed beyond the initial purchase. Then you have your skills which you can use to barter for goods, services and coin which basically allows you to pay for your anything else you may want to buy without having to dip into your wallet. 

Remember, deed cost is a one time investment with a 1s a month overhead which anybody who has played more than a month is quite capable of earning IF they make the effort.

Right, but a basic deed is tiny.  It's not enough space for a mine, animals, farms, houses, etc.  I'm willing to bet that nearly no one (less than 2% I'd guess) has a deed that's minimum size.  So it's more than that.  Also, you can't say that your skills can earn you money, since you'd basically need to be over 70 in a skill before you even have a chance of making 10c per crafted item or something.  The only exceptions being like....digging or maybe mining, but it's been extremely hard for me to find anyone to buy rocks or dirt.  I think you overestimate the economy.

Just ... sigh. Taken out of context much?

You guys go about your business. When the change comes I'll enjoy watching you throw your tantrums and threatening to quit but not actually doing it like usual.

It's not taken out of context.  Your tone throughout all your posts has been "people who care about enclosures have some ulterior motive or are just penny-pinching lazy bastards."  But you go enjoy that.  I think you'll see lower numbers in Wurm if these changes go through without some system replacing them.  I certainly will not be around.  Say what you will.  I'm only on these forums debating this because I don't want to have to quit Wurm.  But I will if I have to, because I will feel so betrayed to have spent so much money on the game, invested tons of time in it, and then to have my projects destroyed because the staff would rather just not deal with a rule than fix it.  Why are the people who make giant enclosures not banned?  Problem solved.

To those asking why they are forced to pay for 5 tiles of perimeter if it doesn't give them any benefit... 

answer, you don't, those tiles are free. they are intended as a minimum buffer so deeds don't get placed right next to each other,. they are not, and never were intended for anything else.

If you choose to buy additional perimeter, you are paying for the OPTION to deed those tiles later if you choose. that is the only thing you are paying for. the outermost 5 tiles are still free, and set to provide the minimum buffer should you ever exercise your right to expand your deed into the perimeter tiles you do pay for. Buying additional perimeter is a way to plan ahead for future expansion, without paying full price right away.

this is all in the screen where you choose to buy perimeter while founding or re-sizing your deed. 

This just chaps my hide to no end.

It's not FREE if it's FORCED and MANDATORY it's INCLUDED which is something else entirely different.

If you buy a car, and the advert says FREE LEATHER SEATS. But you have no choice in getting any OTHER kind of seats, then the seats are not FREE, they are included in the purchase price, and you will take them, like it or not.

When I'm forced to put my deed 5 squares further than I want to because of some magical ridiculous 'buffer zone' that works not at all as intended, I'd imagine, What about the + Perimeter tiles I have on my one deed, purely to stop greifers from building there? Are those 'free' too? No, I pay for them out of pocket. But yet, they still aren't 'MY' tiles, they're 'wild land'

I swear, you people seem to be exponentially disconnected what what your players consider sacred and seem hellbent on trying to push what they consider verboten.

Leave the enclosures, and highways alone UNTIL you can find something BETTER to replace it with, that has been community approved.

There are more of US than there are of YOU, therefore, by a purely mathematical number, more, and better, ideas will come from your customers than will EVER come from your in house dev team.

Every company strives to find out what it's customers want. But no one ever simply asks.

Idea for highways:

I'm assuming that each tile is an object in the game code.  Give each object another boolean "isHighway."  Then code a special title that players can receive called Roadbuilder.  This title is applied for through some kind of application process.  Players who are currently wearing the title can alter/create/remove highway tiles, but only those players.  Highway tiles cannot be altered in any way by anyone who is not a highway builder.  And inappropriate highway expansions would result in the loss of the title.  Also if the player didn't log on for, say, 2 weeks, they would lose the title.  Fences would be allowed to border highway tiles only if they are not separating two highway tiles, and could be built by anyone.  Buildings on the highway could only be created by a Roadbuilder, who would then pass the deed to whoever wanted it provided they understand they cannot block the road (so basically the only legal buildings would be those with arched walls on both sides).  All of this seems very easy to code, from my perspective.  You could even make a check during wall planning so that buildings wouldn't even allow you to build anything but arched walls on tiles which border another highway tile.

You don't pay for peaceful, you pay for access to the server and the ability to interact with the world and people within the confines of the games rule set. You got peaceful as a byproduct of your choices, the choices of those around you and pure chance. As such, it's your choice to put up with potential difficulties or walk away from the game because of those same potentials. If you think there will be drama, just don't watch it. Again, a choice.

If you want to be able to take the law into your own hands campaign loudly enough for it and you may eventually get your way. Lots will support you (I would), most won't but that's Wurm for you.

Simple rule for survival anywhere. Adapt or perish.

Wow, do you read your own stuff, busted, or just throw out stupidity? 

First of all, to the red underlined part so maybe you will understand.  We PAYED to play under set rules, now they are saying we are changing the rules you PAYED to play under, you have one month, but we can't tell you exactly what we are changing the rules to. 

Secondly, you also eluded to ppl just not wanting to pay to have their stuff safe.  Our stuff was safe under the rules without having to pay to play, but we were paying despite not having to, that was part of the rules.  Now, they want to change the rules, and make ppl have to pay MORE in addition to what ppl are already paying to keep their stuff safe.  They have also frequently increased the cost for premium, and lessened what you get(ie-1s coin per month).  The cost to play continues to go up, consumers have a right to complain, which leads to thirdly...

Thirdly, you said your tired of ppl posting... whatever it was you were tired of them posting.  They have the right to post, just by taking part in this game.  As customers, they have a right to voice their opion to their service provider about the service they are being provided.  If you don't like their opinion you have the right not to read it! 

Fourthly, to your blue portion, we play on the non-pvp server, non-pvp implies peaceful, if one wanted pvp(or non-peaceful) they would play on the pvp servers.  There will be more fighting, in the notion of ppl being against each other on the non-pvp server then the pvp servers...  so yeah, might as well just make all the servers pvp with all the arguing that will go on.

Fifthly, to the green portion, I don't even know what law your talking about, I don't think you even know what your talking about...  In the USA, the country we live, you are allowed to voice your opinion, and do peaceful demonstrations(which no one has done thus far, to my knowledge)...  it's called the freedom of speech, you may have heard of it if you live in the USA. 

Basically, every post you made, that I saw, was completely ignorant, but those were just my top five favorites of the ones, I read of yours.  Somehow, I doubt you even work for the money you contribute to the game, if you even contribute any, you sound like a spoiled little child, imo.

Edited by Tarquin

How about just put a max limit on how many tiles an enclosure constitutes?  That way it can't be abused and new players will still have that ability for protection until they get a deed up and running.

Surely this can be easily coded in - create a new item - an enclosure fence - can't be built if more than two tiles away from a building and can only have a maximum of 6 enclosure fences per account.

Edited by Ordinii

You pay for your accounts and you maintain several deeds so you are paying into the system so no, you're not one of the least valuable. The least valuable are those who don't pay fairly into the system by either having a large homestead and land without a deed. It's not a slight against them personally, it's a commercial fact regardless of how nice they may be. If they are not paying into the system and their actions are preventing those who could be paying into the system from doing so they are a detriment. 

New players are valuable as long as they don't fall into the culture of entitlement that is rampant in freedom. I don't think anyone has anything against those who try the game and play it in the spirit trials are intended but you can't have two rules to govern the problem without GM oversight and that's what doing away with the enclosure rules will deal with.

Once again, I have to correct you on what your saying in ignorance, busted: 

maybe you can follow this it's off the Wurm Online front page:  You can build your own little home anywhere in our lands, for free!  What your saying is completely contrary to this...  written by the Wurm Team themelves, maybe they plan on changing it in a month.

Edited by Tarquin

I have the easiest solution to your problem, which just came to mind.

I don't think anyone else has pointed it out yet, but it's so simple, it's scary. Maybe that's why it has eluded us all this time in this thread.

The main problem was stated that the 'enclosures' rule is putting too much work on the GMs.

So... simple solution.

Replace the GMs.

Either replace them outright, if they're jaded and need some downtime from GM duties, or if some would like to stay on, buffer them with additional new volunteer recruits until the level of GMs are equal to the ticket volume.

Wouldn't this be by far the easier solution, than trying to deconstruct the enclosures rule and mess with highways?

• Like 1

You keep saying this and many other things, but I have yet to hear how much you pay out of YOUR irl pocket to the game.  Many ppl can make vast amounts in game and not drop a irl dime into the game, as we have and continue to do.  So my question to you, is how much are you putting into the game of your own irl money per month?

I deed is not required to enjoy this game. Most of the time I have played wurm has been spent living in deeds owned by others, or simply living without one entirely. Back when deeds were quite a bit more expensive many more people did this.

• Like 4

Now that I've replied to all the really ignorant comments:

My suggestion is split it!  Do it on maybe three servers, and see how it goes, then decide whether or not to keep the rules and apply them to the other servers...  and since Indie is the oldest, can me not mess with the rules applied to it, until you see how this is gonna turn out.  Better to ruin an newer server, then a classic, more historic one.

I deed is not required to enjoy this game. Most of the time I have played wurm has been spent living in deeds owned by others, or simply living without one entirely. Back when deeds were quite a bit more expensive many more people did this.

With all due respect, ever play Minecraft, when there were no griefing systems in the servers, it ruined it for the majority... they didn't enjoy it.  They made anti-grieifing systems for the individual servers.  This game is proposing to go the opposite direction that Minecraft picked up on, early on...  if your wanting a smaller player base, then  just raise the costs and pay the GMs.

Edited by Tarquin

Wrong. Rolf is providing a service which I have paid into. At this point I've invested a significant amount of money, for a game, with my traders, merchants, premium accounts, tools/weapons, deeds, etc. We have a right to cry foul when we make a large investment on the understanding that we will enjoy the service under certain rules. I play games to have a relaxing diversion, not a constant worry that the things I've put time and real money into might be taken away at any moment. If I had known that the animals I enjoy having would one day be vulnerable no matter what I did, I would not have invested in the game in the way I have. I would have stopped playing long ago. What business has the attitude of "come pay for this, but it's mine and I can do whatever I want with it after you invest."

THIS. Exactly and entirely.

If I have to spend more time defending my in-game interests than actually playing and enjoying the game, I'll just walk away and take my monthly silver purchases and premium fees with me.

For reference I've spent over half my time this week reading the forums and worrying about my bison being slaughtered than finishing my fenceline and earthworks. This is neither fun, nor enjoyable on any level. It's starting to become more work than my work is, and if that happens... bye bye... baby bye bye...

You can be as callous as you want, but a game can only hemorrhage so many productive paying players before it starts on a massive slippery decline that is almost impossible to recover from without totally changing business models.

This is entirely your opinion, which you are free to state.

For me, a deed is absolutely required to enjoy this game. I don't like living under anyone else's roof, nor having to abide by anyone else's rules.

IRL do you live in a house? Or do you share one with someone else who you have to clear every little thing you do with them first?

Most of us live in houses that we own.

It may also be a cultural thing. Americans, traditionally, like their own space and to do their own thing. Most will not join a village. They want their own deed, their own space.

The only time I'd enjoy the game WITHOUT a deed, is if I rented out a spot from one of my Alliance mates that I really like and got on well with. No new player is going to have that kind of rapport.

we gona get new server soon.... so lets put all noobs there to start and dont allow deeds there....  we gona make deeds on other servers... problems sorted out...

I have some simple suggestions that could be coded, that would add weight and diversity to the game, which would most likely add subscribership. I have read a few pages on this topic and think I understand most peoples concerns both dirrections.

My suggestions are simple. Make roads and fences or structures created on deed perimiter protected if constructed by the mayor or approved by mayor. Reduce the size of free perimiter to 3 tiles. This would allow a fence line to be made and a protected road to be constructed. Also it makes it much easier to have friends close by if wanted. Grand father all perimiters now in existance but allow those who want to reduce the free portion if they want to. And add two newe deeds to the game. Deeds that allow the use of guards dogs instead of guards and may only have a one tile perimiter.

1. Add two new Deed systems. The current deed system is already in place and so new coding would be reduced by tweaking existing system. Many people have suggested additional chacks on structures. This would create too many useless checks on every structure in the game and cause server lag when checks run. Save the server load for things that help the game to be more fun.

A) Homestead Deed: Every player gets a homestead stake (and only one - bound to account) that allows them to go out and get a 5x5 claim in the game with a free one tile perimeter. The claim would be free for 30days and come with a guard dog (make it look like a mastiff or irish setter or some other large intimidating dog). The guard dog would not be as strong as a templar or guard but would give more protection than nothing. The homestead would be maintainable at perimiter costs, and expandable to a maximum of 10x10 tiles with only the free one tile perimiter. No further perimiter could be purchased. Additional guard dogs could be purchased at 1/2 the cost of guards and maintained at half the maintinance cost monthly.

B) Farm Deed: Farm deeds could be purchased at 5s and tiles would be at perimiter tile cost. Also because it would be a farm the tile to livestock ratio should be reduced significantly(allowing more livestock per tile), and crop cultivation should be higher. and just like Homesteads you could get guard dogs to protect your land and it would come with one free perimiter tile expandable to 3 (the extra two would have to be paid for).

In the same vien of thought Village Deed owners should be able to get guard dogs to patrol the perimiter tiles. This would add the protections that people want and fairly disperse the starter tiles to all players. Similarly if a player is unable to pay for the homestead stake then it will disapear and a new stake would have to be purchased from a trader at a very inflated purchase price say 5s rather than the cheaper maintainance cost one would get if time had been purchased before expired.

Also new pavement should be introduced to game make it with a combination of tar, rock,and concrete. As mentioned by a staff member posting as a player only premium accounts could make it based on higher stats being required to create and apply the pavement. In addition it would be protected if connected to a token. The number of tiles that could be created would be equal to the number of total tiles in the village (Deed + Perimiter). I am uncertain if this should be applied by four to accomodate roads in each direction or not. That is debatable. In addition this tile could not be added into another perimiter without permission from mayor or someone with equivilant rights. The mayor would have to allow a non citizen to pave this type of road on the perimiter. So highways would become well protected and player approved. Of course this new pavement should have an even faster rate of travel making them desirable to have and use.  Also a newer better looking curb would be great and make it even harder for players to remove any road.

As I said simple and easy to implement ideas some would take more time than others, but most would take very little time at all.

Now for a not so popular idea.

To disuade players from creating enclosures without paying for them simply allow lockpicking and stealing on undeeded areas of the game. As well as allowing damage to walls and possibly even buildeings if off deed and outside of perimiter. Make players caught stealing pvp flagged and killable. A theif flagged player going near guards would be attacked and flag would be active for a lengthy period time. triple the time if logged out. In fact making theft possible in the game would add a certain amount of economy to the PVE game. A need for good locks and good structures. It would incentivise deed purchase as guards and dogs would help to protect your belongings. Also it would spice up life a little in respect to the monotany of constant crafting.

Oh and someone metioned a bounty hunter system...LOVE that idea. Allow certain bad behavior put a system in place to take care of criminals...great thought.

Game engineered conflict adds to the game, it creates new prioities and allows the players with a darker side to have slightly more fun on PVE servers. It also livens things up for the better mannered players. In any case removing the need for constant GM envolvment over petty border squabbles is really a very good idea. That way we can get help with real problems occuring in the game.

• Like 1

I can read perfectly fine, thank you, but since you've run out of intelligent things to say and are instead ranting I'll just leave you to it. Enjoy the new rules on Indy. Or not. I don't care.

First of all, you cannot apparently. Not when you are telling people to leave the game when they already said they were eventually going to leave (not just me, I have not decided yet). Second, it looks to me like you are the one who has *ran* out of things to say. People, besides myself, seem to be in agreement that ignorance is the only thing you know. Now, *I* am the one signing off of this lame conversation with you. I am getting bored with the lack of intelligence and unlike you, I have better things to do than argue with everyone posting in this thread all day. *I* have a life.

Edited by Arwyn

I have some simple suggestions that could be coded, that would add weight and diversity to the game, which would most likely add subscribership. I have read a few pages on this topic and think I understand most peoples concerns both dirrections.

My suggestions are simple. Make roads and fences or structures created on deed perimiter protected if constructed by the mayor or approved by mayor. Reduce the size of free perimiter to 3 tiles. This would allow a fence line to be made and a protected road to be constructed. Also it makes it much easier to have friends close by if wanted. Grand father all perimiters now in existance but allow those who want to reduce the free portion if they want to. And add two newe deeds to the game. Deeds that allow the use of guards dogs instead of guards and may only have a one tile perimiter.

1. Add two new Deed systems. The current deed system is already in place and so new coding would be reduced by tweaking existing system. Many people have suggested additional chacks on structures. This would create too many useless checks on every structure in the game and cause server lag when checks run. Save the server load for things that help the game to be more fun.

A) Homestead Deed: Every player gets a homestead stake (and only one - bound to account) that allows them to go out and get a 5x5 claim in the game with a free one tile perimeter. The claim would be free for 30days and come with a guard dog (make it look like a mastiff or irish setter or some other large intimidating dog). The guard dog would not be as strong as a templar or guard but would give more protection than nothing. The homestead would be maintainable at perimiter costs, and expandable to a maximum of 10x10 tiles with only the free one tile perimiter. No further perimiter could be purchased. Additional guard dogs could be purchased at 1/2 the cost of guards and maintained at half the maintinance cost monthly.

B) Farm Deed: Farm deeds could be purchased at 5s and tiles would be at perimiter tile cost. Also because it would be a farm the tile to livestock ratio should be reduced significantly(allowing more livestock per tile), and crop cultivation should be higher. and just like Homesteads you could get guard dogs to protect your land and it would come with one free perimiter tile expandable to 3 (the extra two would have to be paid for).

In the same vien of thought Village Deed owners should be able to get guard dogs to patrol the perimiter tiles. This would add the protections that people want and fairly disperse the starter tiles to all players. Similarly if a player is unable to pay for the homestead stake then it will disapear and a new stake would have to be purchased from a trader at a very inflated purchase price say 5s rather than the cheaper maintainance cost one would get if time had been purchased before expired.

Also new pavement should be introduced to game make it with a combination of tar, rock,and concrete. As mentioned by a staff member posting as a player only premium accounts could make it based on higher stats being required to create and apply the pavement. In addition it would be protected if connected to a token. The number of tiles that could be created would be equal to the number of total tiles in the village (Deed + Perimiter). I am uncertain if this should be applied by four to accomodate roads in each direction or not. That is debatable. In addition this tile could not be added into another perimiter without permission from mayor or someone with equivilant rights. The mayor would have to allow a non citizen to pave this type of road on the perimiter. So highways would become well protected and player approved. Of course this new pavement should have an even faster rate of travel making them desirable to have and use.  Also a newer better looking curb would be great and make it even harder for players to remove any road.

As I said simple and easy to implement ideas some would take more time than others, but most would take very little time at all.

Now for a not so popular idea.

To disuade players from creating enclosures without paying for them simply allow lockpicking and stealing on undeeded areas of the game. As well as allowing damage to walls and possibly even buildeings if off deed and outside of perimiter. Make players caught stealing pvp flagged and killable. A theif flagged player going near guards would be attacked and flag would be active for a lengthy period time. triple the time if logged out. In fact making theft possible in the game would add a certain amount of economy to the PVE game. A need for good locks and good structures. It would incentivise deed purchase as guards and dogs would help to protect your belongings. Also it would spice up life a little in respect to the monotany of constant crafting.

Oh and someone metioned a bounty hunter system...LOVE that idea. Allow certain bad behavior put a system in place to take care of criminals...great thought.

Game engineered conflict adds to the game, it creates new prioities and allows the players with a darker side to have slightly more fun on PVE servers. It also livens things up for the better mannered players. In any case removing the need for constant GM envolvment over petty border squabbles is really a very good idea. That way we can get help with real problems occuring in the game.

I believe this to be wonderful idea, Also adding a highway deeds costing about 50c every 25 tiles(2 width) with that i believe building and maintaining roads would be less desirable to people who dont want to help and just want to cause problems, While adding even more incentive for more experienced players to make useful and beneficial roads and highways.