Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Suggested changes to enclosure and highway rules

So what are we doing instead of fences now?  1x15 houses I guess, but what do we make on the tile between the houses?  Lava comes to mind but player made lava doesn't last long at all.  Maybe a mine entrance and reinforce all the walls.

Thoughts on what to put between the houses to keep people out?

What's so precious off-deed you need to spend so much effort to protect it but yet won't spend some silver to deed it in order to do so?

• Like 1

Some official update would be nice btw................ 

wow this thread is still going on?

I am still a fan of changing the perimeters with no bash no build other than the deed members and let us build them there. 

wow this thread is still going on?

I am still a fan of changing the perimeters with no bash no build other than the deed members and let us build them there. 

Except for this topic had nothing to do with perimeters.

Perimeter is paid for land. It might not cost as much as deed tiles, but it's paid for. It's part of a village. A "legal enclosure" is a squat on tiles that aren't being paid for at all.

Except for this topic had nothing to do with perimeters.

Perimeter is paid for land. It might not cost as much as deed tiles, but it's paid for. It's part of a village. A "legal enclosure" is a squat on tiles that aren't being paid for at all.

I understand that but they are looking for a way to hard code in the new enclosures or we won't have any is the way i understand it. If they make it so perimeters can be protected with no bash/no build then you can "buy" extra land for your off deed enclosures and they will be protected at a cheaper cost with no staff intervention needed.  

They already have something planned for new players the way i took it so it leaves the roads and the enclosures to be figured out or we just won't have any protection. I gave my idea on a simple solution on how to hard code in protection for "off deed" enclosures with the already existing perimeter feature.  If you don't want to use that method then you are essentially wanting "free" land and it should not be protected from other players bashing in. 

Edited by Kegan

Perimeter has never really been protected land, just reserved land in case you want to expand your deed.  Or in some cases where deeds are close to each other, those ******* 5 tiles I'm forced to have instead of deed tiles.

After seeing other 'fixes' and requests for feedback when Rolf plans to plow ahead anyhow, I don't expect to see any changes to perimeter.  Given the history, I need to plan on foolproof ways to keep players out. Especially since climbing over fences is going to be added.

So...  1x15 houses, but what to put between the houses?

Edited by leaf

So...  1x15 houses, but what to put between the houses?

Angry, hungry, greenish, champion Sea Serpents.

• Like 3

I got thinking.

may be a item can be purchased (or given free) to new players that is placed on the ground and a 5x5 area is protected

or

when a enclosure is created, right clicking on the building with walled enclosure u can toggle a legal enclosure. Must be done every few days or weekly.

both of these the character cant be a partvof a village and must be the build of the writ.

And so the final word is given. Deed it (subsidized) or lose it. Well held, Rolf.

A thought on highways

create a new road type (I saw Asphalt suggested).  it should be somewhat expensive in either materials or skill required (perhaps both).  it must continue in the direction it began (eg a 4 x 1 road running north-south can only be continued north or south).  Changes to direction can only be made from highway tiles containing a milestone (a new item)  The milestone can only be placed on Asphalt and cannot be placed within 40 tiles of another milestone.  Of course regular cobblestone or other roads can connect up at any point.

Asphalt can decay, but cannot be bashed or destroyed.  Perhaps a Mag priest or similar could accelerate decay.

I'm not saying that, just that the immediate area around the spawn (Want current spawns moved) should be a lot more open, and not Deedable, and limit walls and houses to no more then 2-5 QL (But be protected from bashing), so newbies have a place to say but would move away when they have a chance.

The system we have now in some cases forces Newbies to either swim usually to their deaths, build on someone enclosure, or go out 15-20 minutes, and by then they either get robbed, or killed, or get stuck inside a fence.

Thank you for volunteering to strip me from the deed I have spent a lot of time developing.  I realize it is a massive 13x15 tiles and includes three enclosures in the perimeter.  That these have been made available for new players who show a willingness to work to gain skill (instead of "gimme dis") is obviously of no importance.    /end sarcasm

However, as stated, these enclosures are completely in perimeter and next to The Howl.  The decision on enclosures will bring into question whether I can even sustain their usefulness as anyone will be able to bash down the walls and loot what new players have been working on (why bother if someone is just going to steal what you have).  If there was a way for enclosures (well, fences) to be protected within perimeter except by deed permissions, then these enclosures would be able to remain as intended.  

For those who are going to tell me to "just pony up the money to extend your deed" you should realize that I cannot extend this deed (Grumble).  I am perimeter-to-perimeter on three sides and the mandatory 5-space perimeter(s) between Grumble and The Howl are where these areas are located.  

As for my feelings on the solution that has been presented - not happy.  

Both of my deeds include enclosures that are partly on-deed and partly perimeter.  Neither deed has room to expand to cover the existing enclosures due to neighbor's perimeter.  This means that I will effectively lose access to a large portion of area that were previously fields.  Would have liked to see enclosures protected inside perimeters or perimeters changed to optional - but, I didn't put in my thoughts before now.  

Well, i know its late for me to say this now, and that decision is already made (maybe even before this thread) to end enclosures, but i was prevented from posting...

So here goes:

If the only motivation to this is to stop abuse, then its simple. Just make these 2 items to the enclosure rule as it was:

1- Any enclosure above 50 (or other number) tiles is forefeit and deemed abusive.

2- Any enclosure constituted by walls/buildings of ql 21 or above are forfeit and deemed abusive (if you have premium you can have a deed),

I think the biggest problem with how rule making is done on wurm is that its made as if intended to be interpreted by a machine, thus becoming blanket rules which are easier to abuse.

Now if the real intent is to simply not have enclosures, and push away many new players trying out the game, then removing them altogether is the best bet.

Define what a huge free offdeed enclosure is, then prohibite them.  If perims are too big for the game to handle then limit them to deed size. To infer thats its ok to allow blanket destruction to perims that are all attached to wurm income seems to me like a destructive course to be following.  

• Like 1

Since there is no actual rule stating that these large types of enclosures are not allowed, players are perfectly free to continue to make them. Removing the enclosure rule doesn't prevent this from happening. If someone decided to bash or catapult my 80+ QL walls I would most likely just rebuild them again, so I find it hard to not believe that others who have them would do the same thing.

Only the diehard stubborn types will continue a campaign of continuing to break down walls of this QL when the other person just rebuilds them again, I would think. Unfortunately this would just lead to long term feuds between local residents and sow more discontent, since the person breaking them down would now feel it is perfectly acceptable to do so.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Eh, I think the only proper way to distribute land is with PvP. Pay-to-win is not fun imo.

The problem for me is you can have only one deed per account. If my toon could hold more deeds, it would be totally different story.

So now that you have "fixed" the settlement issue, what is the word on the highway rule removal mentioned in the 1st post, has it already happened and i've missed it? As people are digging up and destroying highways left and right around where i live it would be nice with some clarification. Example, the highway to the Grand Steppe was removed for 8-10x2 tiles and trees planted in their place. The highway north of Harmony lake had pavement destroyed and holes dug down to water level. And more going on.

So now that you have "fixed" the settlement issue, what is the word on the highway rule removal mentioned in the 1st post, has it already happened and i've missed it? As people are digging up and destroying highways left and right around where i live it would be nice with some clarification. Example, the highway to the Grand Steppe was removed for 8-10x2 tiles and trees planted in their place. The highway north of Harmony lake had pavement destroyed and holes dug down to water level. And more going on.

Highway rules are still part of the game rules for now. If someone breaks them - use /support

Since there is no actual rule stating that these large types of enclosures are not allowed, players are perfectly free to continue to make them. Removing the enclosure rule doesn't prevent this from happening. If someone decided to bash or catapult my 80+ QL walls I would most likely just rebuild them again, so I find it hard to not believe that others who have them would do the same thing.

Only the diehard stubborn types will continue a campaign of continuing to break down walls of this QL when the other person just rebuilds them again, I would think. Unfortunately this would just lead to long term feuds between local residents and sow more discontent, since the person breaking them down would now feel it is perfectly acceptable to do so.

=Ayes=

So then what about the majority of people who can't make 80QL walls? How about the ones with 10 or 20 QL which are easier to bash? Do you find it hard to believe it then?

Just because you have "skills" doesn't mean it applies to everyone else.

• Like 1

Would also be nice to even know if either of these changes are actually going to be made?

The "two weeks" warning ends on Thursday of this week (Yes I know they said approximately, so it could have also been shorter if we want to be technical about it) and if either rule is actually being removed, could we get a count down timer at least?

That way everyone knows if they can /support call it or not when an enclosure breach happens between now and when the policy change goes live.

so happy that rule gone after all..  now lets protect highways, channels and other better :D