Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Suggested changes to enclosure and highway rules

Actually things are not so worse, the alt must be premium to deed, but will keep deed if depremiumed.

- so just make alt

- premium

- set deed

- sell or use referral (6s value), cash out the 2s starting coins

- forget about alt

So setting a deed on an alt costs exactly 2s - one time fee.

If using the democracy trick it can even be free, but really not worth the hassle.

+10s to  premium the alt in the first place.

12s assuming you plant a 63c/month deed max.

+10s to premium the alt in the first place.

12s assuming you plant a 63c/month deed max.

What he was complaining was fact he can have two deeds on a char, so deed price was not in discussion, just fact he need a second premium char.

And what I explained was that this costs just 2s, not more.

Just wanted to say... the $300 that I would have put into Wurm this April... went here instead: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com

Richard Garriott actually cares about his product and his customers. So, sorry Rolf. You lose out, buddy.

And I bought an account for the wife as well, which you don't see pictured, bringing the total spent up to $300.

Small change, I know, overall. But with only about 1000 active players that's gotta add up sooner or later.

I'd have happily given this to Wurm instead. But, well, I don't have confidence in you at the moment. So, I'm taking a 'wait and see' stance and voting with my wallet. You don't get my vote this month. Better luck next month.

What he was complaining was fact he can have two deeds on a char, so deed price was not in discussion, just fact he need a second premium char.

And what I explained was that this costs just 2s, not more.

• Like 1

Agreed, not going to renew my premium this month either.

• Like 2

I doubt you will see noobs greifing roads any time soon, they need 21 body strength. so fresh spawns wont be able to rip em up.

I think its long over due also that off deed enclosures should be fair game. 

Like the old saying goes, Deed it or lose it!

• Like 2

Any idea that comes up will only anger others there is no way to do one thing with out upsetting others.

Explained: 1.On 1 hand you have those who don't like Enclosures period so if you allow them they will be mad but not mad enough to quit.

2.On the other hand you have those who own them cause they was allowed and do to no real set rules on them or code to prevent them from being bigger than you intended.

3.On another hand you have those who Bought land but had RL issues which was out of there control and caused them to lose Deeded land so they used the enclosure rule to save there hard work till they can at some time re deed which is now more expensive than it was more than likely when they first deeded them.

4.On this hand you have board PVP players from Chaos who have places on Freedom PVE servers who want to be able to do the same they do on Chaos.

5.Then you have those who are lazy and just want to raid others so they don't have to work to get stuff they need.

If I was to say you take the new server and make it a FTP server for all noobs and make all other servers pay to play this would hurt other players who have established Enclosures and spend countless hours, days, weeks, months, and years and these people would more than likely quit.

If you remove the Enclosure rule and make a new system that don't cover existing Enclosures then you are going to have a good few people quit.

If you remove the rule people will grief others and this will be mainly people who are pvp players this is just something to get them excited. I bet even now Rolf there are a few piling up catapult ammo and making catapults and getting ready.

There is nothing good going to come out of this. You let this go on to long now it's like a part of the game. You should have removed it the first time problems arose not wait years down the road for people to establish and work hard to only lose it now.

Unless you can make it so all existing Enclosures fall under your new system and bypass for being bigger than you intend for them to be this will not end well. Like I said you let it go on past a turning point.

I've seen people lose things making mistakes like this but if that's what it takes then so be it.

There is nothing I can say that can solve this and I'm sure you know this.

You started the trader draining subject back up and only cause a few handfuls cried you changed your mind it appears. That system hurts you financially very bad cause it allows people to play free with deed's yet you want fix it.

But you are willing to kill something that a lot of paying customers depend on they are paying you and there is some that are not but a can bank on it a lot of them pay a monthly sub at least and I have to ask you is it worth losing fans that are paying you and keeping  fans that have no issue cause they aren't paying anyways.

We all know having a deed has many perks and a enclosure has only one. Players taking up virtual space does not eat a hole in your wallet and GM's who work for free are not eating a hole as well. Wouldn't it be simpler to just make new rules for enclosures and make it so that any new enclosures have to abid by the new rules and make rules so there are no more grey area. Then over time as players leave who own the bigger enclosures will work it's self out over time. Would it not be simpler to give GM's better tools to help them do there job?

• Like 2

It seems im not the only one who's fast losing faith in wurm, Sorry Rolf but im fast beginning to think your not the guy for the job if Wurms to survive and even thrive, i would love to be proven wrong but lately its bad decision after bad decision..

• Like 1

I doubt you will see noobs greifing roads any time soon, they need 21 body strength. so fresh spawns wont be able to rip em up.

I think its long over due also that off deed enclosures should be fair game. 

Like the old saying goes, Deed it or lose it!

• Like 1

I believe this will stimulate the economy more than people know although you will lose players it will make the game more enjoyable for people to come, I have witnessed countless people come in build a house use an enclosure to protect it and leave and NEVER come back. this is what makes me angry. 

And here is how it will stimulate the economy...

At the moment  everyone has there own little area with maybe 4-5 people in it with very little economy! With the enclosure rule going down people will be more willing to go out and explore and find new things. Causing a massive rush of items in each 4-5 person community with the surge of items comes the ability to sell them or even use them to create items to sell. But the point is players will be more inclined to create merchants and markets along with larger groups and communitys. With the new found urge to explore create and sell. and with the will to sell comes the will to buy.

Causing even larger communitys to form and merge, What the game really needs is a sense of economy and the ability to use your freedom.

If i come across a merchant now i pass it without giving it a thought so the idea is create a way for the merchants to buy things

like maybe the player can choose to buy an amount of one particular item and have a list inside the merchant trading menu of what he can buy and at what price.

Allowing this along with the enclosure rule going down will stimulate the economy once more! Making it flourish and prosper, the only thing we need now is the ability to find these merchants and players! I suggest astronomy, The ability to tell your location by the stars! you right click the moonlit sky and select find! and it tells you your general coordinates! at higher levels it tells you your exact coordinates. making people able to travel and find other players causing communitys to form and economys to flourish, And with the new economy comes more settlements and more people!

And thats how you get more players more money more economy and Happy players!

Thank you for reading, Pass this on or like it to let other people see how it works and how to fix the economy and enclosures!  :)

I'm not going to post here as well as the "paranoia" thread so consider this to be used in both.

Let me say again, the real question isn't if, but when it does happen.  There is no way to say it is not what it is, a PVP mechanic being reintroduced into a PVE environment without the rest of the PVP support mechanics.

If there is no replacement and the enclosure rule goes away, you could be standing in your enclosure and someone would be able to bash in with you right there.  What are you going to do?  Make rude gestures and complain in kchat?  By the rule change defined, this would be fair game.

This is not a PVE "friendly" mechanic/rule.

If you think we're being paranoid, ask/research about the now famed Wurmaggedon (not the lose of the servers themselves, but what was going on in-game at the time) or when the old PVE servers were opened to PVP mechanics or just look at the last few updates where things considered fairly core mechanics were changed without comment in the patch notes.  Paranoid requires there to be no logical or reasonable basis for that fear/concern.  Play for more than a year and you're likely to see a lot of justification for what you're calling paranoia, everyone else calls another day in Wurm.

The Freedom server cluster exists for a reason.  The rules people play under on that server cluster's PVE mechanics are based on the lack of ability for a player to impose their own justice because of the lack of PVP mechanics.

If someone hasn't been on the receiving end before, hey, great for them.  Having been on the receiving end though, I laugh at those who think it won't/can't happen.

What makes people think that removing this rule will remove the people who are, and already have been, bashing into any enclosure they can now?

Edited by Hussars
  • Like 6

I believe this will stimulate the economy more than people know although you will lose players it will make the game more enjoyable for people to come, I have witnessed countless people come in build a house use an enclosure to protect it and leave and NEVER come back. this is what makes me angry. 

At the moment  everyone has there own little area with maybe 4-5 people in it with very little economy! With the enclosure rule going down people will be more willing to go out and explore and find new things. Causing a massive rush of items in each 4-5 person community with the surge of items comes the ability to sell them or even use them to create items to sell. But the point is players will be more inclined to create merchants and markets along with larger groups and communitys. With the new found urge to explore create and sell. and with the will to sell comes the will to buy.

Causing even larger communitys to form and merge, What the game really needs is a sense of economy and the ability to use your freedom.

If i come across a merchant now i pass it without giving it a thought so the idea is create a way for the merchants to buy things

like maybe the player can choose to buy an amount of one particular item and have a list inside the merchant trading menu of what he can buy and at what price.

Allowing this along with the enclosure rule going down will stimulate the economy once more! Making it flourish and prosper, the only thing we need now is the ability to find these merchants and players! I suggest astronomy, The ability to tell your location by the stars! you right click the moonlit sky and select find! and it tells you your general coordinates! at higher levels it tells you your exact coordinates. making people able to travel and find other players causing communitys to form and economys to flourish, And with the new economy comes more settlements and more people!

Thank you for reading, Pass this on or like it to let other people see how it works and how to fix the economy and enclosures!  :)

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 1

• Like 4

interesting thought but one major flaw new players are not going to spend money to get silver to buy gear to explore a game they arnt sure they like and in order to know they like it they need to play it and get drawn it.  If they dont get gear and try to explore they will just get tired of dieing and having to go all the way back to the start town.  I have personaly seen this fustration as I live at a fair distance from the start town and talk to new player severy month upset they cant find their body and complaining they have to try and find it all the way from where they started.  If you will notice the players that do explore still tend to stay on the major roads or very close to them and then make a nest (1x1 house and small enclosure ) next to a guard post as they cant fight anything.  Its that little house and enclosure that they build to stay safe.  What will happen is they will be forced to join player towns to start this could be good or bad depending on the town and most players I talk to dont want to join a town as they want to build their own place. 

For the new players and only the new players, what if:

As close as possible to starter town, over a main road. a starter plot park is created, in this place, there will be a number of fixed lots, surrounded by an unbreakable non decaying fence. in this lot there will be one gate (maybe a gatehouse), so wen a new player spawns, he/she gets in the inventory a gate lock with one non-drop key, so he/she go to the lot park, look for a free lot and attach the lock, from that very moment a counter starts, and after a certain period of time lets say 30 days, the gate lock and key vanish, and the lot gets reverted to the original state (any construction/item inside vanish, any terraforming is undone, etc) and become available again.

Lets say this lot will allow to a carp caped f2p make a house (3x3)-1 tiles, so lets make it 5 tiles whide and to give some room for learning the ropes of farming, a couple more of rows on the front/back yard, so 7 in lenght.

So a 16x22 area can have 8 of this lots with a 1 tile perimetral road, and more blocks like this can be added either side by side creating a network of 2 tiles roads between blocks.

Probably make it so no creature spawn within a fenced lot to avoid making the lots unusable for 0fs new players. Several warnings should be added wen in form of signs and pop-up windows during building/fence creations, stating in a clear way the ephemeral state of anything constructed/dropped in between this lots. Make it so if a player doesn´t log in a week, the lot resets no matter the time remaining in the counter.

Should be a internal mechanic to move the login point of a player back to starter town token once the lot resets. Also a mechanic can be in place to reset the lot one week after he/she joins to/fund a deed, regardless the time remaining in counter.

While this probably will harm a bit the sandbox style of wurm, i think it can probably solve most of the problems for a new player.

Of course this kind of solution can only be feasible for a limited number of new players spawning per day/week/month, and come with its own problems as to find a suitable location, maybe messing with deeds close to starter towns, etc. But probably most problems can be solved.

• Like 1

Easiest route is probably to promote grouping  

------------------

Give Deed Upkeep bonus for each premium citizen

Give Deed Upkeep bonus for each premium peep in the alliance

Make it easier to destroy stuff on deeds

-----------------

Then do things that make sure that peeps have more storage especially since new peeps will only have a 1 by 1 hut as safe

Create a Local bank system  that  has more space like a built in chest and maybe some more room if premium such as a BSB in the starting area like most MMO's. The silly token bank is just silly, and doesn't really help anybody except for key holding.

Also a way to hold at least 1 (2 if Premium do to carts) animal like caring that puts it in storage but they don't wonder off  such as a ingame stable feature (Should still be able to die though and be hungry when un stabled ) that acts like a bank so they can't wonder off since a lot of goofs will break fences for them.

If Wurm was my game here is what I would do to fix and stir economy and a slew of other things.

1. I would eliminate all grey rules so there where none but with out adding any type of pvp mechanic in between.

2. I would code a system to mark all existing Enclosures or something that could Identify All Enclosures that exist right now and put them on a do not touch rule cause they will not apply to the new size Enclosure rule. All gm's would have a list with these Enclosures and who owned them so if a situation did arise the GM could let the new person know that this was before the purge and will stay legal for this said player till such time he stops playing and only at that time.

3. Then I would give my GM's a new set of tool's that would allow them to handle situations across the board and not just to a few. As far as I know it right now all GM's don't have the same tools and If I recall only 1 or 2 can do some things so this makes them work harder than the others.

If it's a trust thing then you need to find new GM's that you can trust with these tools and let the others go. All GM's should have the same tool sets to perform the same duties.

4. I would Make a system that tags each account on the forums here that would do the following. Take each email and tie all characters to that email to it in game so It would show me which servers they play on example This email has all pvp server characters or this email has only pvp server characters and this email has pvp and pve characters on it. This way I could sift threw and lock out any pvp influence thoughts on my pve server's. Any player who pvp's wouldn't have issues adding pvp mechanics to a pve server cause they simply can't think like a person who just hates it all together.

5. I would then make a new server for only new players. You must go here first and have no choice to go to any old server unless you pay a monthly fee threw the online store. This means I would eliminate paying monthly account in game using silver.

6. It would require anyone who chooses to stay a FTP player to move to the new server. In the system I would code it in so that if you become a Non Subbed account you wouldn't be able to do any thing on these other servers but walk until you re subbed Not even fish nothing.

7. I would get back to work on features and improve multi story and Specially Combat. I would add more unique creatures for PVE servers so they have creatures that Epic does not and same for Chaos. Each server should have and own unique creatures that others do not have.

8. I would also eliminate a account from being able to own a deed on other servers to prevent the land from being hogged up. If you play more on one server you do not need a deed on another you barley play. This is just land mass wasted for another paying customer. This also prevents a area from thriving and causes you to have to keep making new servers down the road do to land mass. You should only be able to own multiple deeds on the same server.

9. I would change 1 big system you have a major flaw in and that's the ability to have multiple chars on 1 account. I would make it so one could if they wanted to to be able to make a jack of trades and 1 of each priest. You would not be able to make 2 jack of trades if you already have one made then you only could choose one of the other classes you do not have at that time. This would encourage new comers as well. One big turn off to people is having to make several account's to have different classes and this is not a good business model in this day and time.I then would make it so I would be able to combine old account's to allow all existing players to be able to take all there account's and throw there priest under there jack of trades account. Not everyone will do this cause some like having both on at the same time but not everyone likes to multi box and they should have the option to not have to.

It all Boils down to you need to do a lot of changes. I Love your Game Rolf I've also been here playing for a long time but like mentioned this is not the only sand box any more out there with these features and the market is growing and they have cheaper models with bigger teams to produce better sandbox games for this generation tech. You indy dev's have had it ewasy cause they was all to busy with the theme park games but there moving to the sandbox cause it is a growing industry today. Theme park is dying out and Sandbox is growing beware of this.

More info on this New server: This server would not be able to have deeds. Only enclosures and these would be done like deeds and have a free token that would be a enclosure token. This token would have no benefits it would just mark a said amount of space that no one else could build on unless you gave them permission. It would only have the permission stuff. I would raise the skill cap to 30 so people could get a small glimpse of what it's like the higher your skills go.  If people wanted to own a deed they would then have to move to one of the paid to play servers and sub there account to get full benefits. This server would contain 2 islands one PVP and one PVE. One side would be coded to allow pvp conflict while the other land mass would not. This server would only have horses, and cattle, with few hostel mob models maybe wolf and bear only. No multi story can be built on this only 1 story housing. Maybe only wood structures as well no stone housing. Every thing set to decay timers that are double the speed they are on paid to play server's. You could move the tutorial area to this server and make it the starting point, so when they come out they can go find a place. I would also code it in that when one decided to leave and go pay to play that there enclosure vanishes and any thing that was on it is instantly deleted and all land mass returns to it's untouched position. So the code would remember the chunk they enclosed on and just simply return it to it's original state.

You could also add this feature to the other servers so that any enclosure or deed that is up rooted would return to it's normal position before it was touched. This also means you would have to code in the ability to push a deed token or enclosure token across tiles moving it's boundaries to what ever tile it set's on and a check to make sure it want move into another boundary. So if you can't move it will give you the message you can not move for ?????? Deed / Enclosure is in the way.

You should also code in the ability to expand deeds in 1 direction to eliminate other issues as well as the option to chose if you want a perimeter or not. There are families and friends who have no issue butting up there tiles and sharing the same wall or fence to show separation.  Take note in a new sandbox Landmark where they are doing just this. 2 People can but up there property lines and extend a construction aka building across this line.

This type of server would give new comers the feel of the game

Edited by Arkonick

I give it a lot of thought these days and here's an idea that won't destroy the sandbox game idea with instanced villages, won't open gates to griefing via free alts, will 100% protect the new players and won't leave any room for abuse. It would also use existing in-game mechanics, so shouldn't be very difficult to code.

The idea is to add a newbie island on every server (so not a newbie server, like GV, but just a newbie island on every server); I'm quite sure such an island could be fit somewhere on almost all maps. And these newbie islands should function just like GV - the moment when you land on the island your premium is temporarily "frozen". On that island should be a single village (GM owned) marked as "starting town" - I know for sure there can be more than one for server, so people could choose to spawn there. And basically these two things (add the islands to maps and code it so the moment when you enter the island the premium is "frozen") are the only two things that have to be coded ever - and actually this means just reusing code for GV and code for premium expiration.

- On that islands enclosures would be secure for the only thing that since premium will be frozen, noone will have 21 BS required to bash down fences.

- Even more, they are even safe against someone perimetering over - since island is F2P capped, it means noone could deed (over)

- Exploited huge enclosures won't be feasible because it means they will be build with F2P skills, so low ql, so repairs will be a hassle.

- New / free (but not only) players will have the option to have their house/enclosure there, in a totally safe environment, or on the main land, where they would be exposed to break in risks (or they could have both)

- These players won't be isolated - they could always travel over the rest of the server, do trades, earn their coins for premium or whatever

- There will be no expiration of your place as long as you mantain it, but it will go poof pretty fast if not maintained due to quality cap

Nobody from the rest of the server will be (negatively) affected by the new island, but any free / new player who would want a safe heaven without any cost (deed), but with limited opportunities (capped skills) could settle there.

Edited by ScarfaceRo

I give it a lot of thought these days and here's an idea that won't destroy the sandbox game idea with instanced villages, won't open gates to griefing via free alts, will 100% protect the new players and won't leave any room for abuse. It would also use existing in-game mechanics, so shouldn't be very difficult to code.

The idea is to add a newbie island on every server (so not a newbie server, like GV, but just a newbie island on every server); I'm quite sure such an island could be fit somewhere on almost all maps. And these newbie islands should function just like GV - the moment when you land on the island your premium is temporarily "frozen". On that island should be a single village (GM owned) marked as "starting town" - I know for sure there can be more than one for server, so people could choose to spawn there. And basically these two things (add the islands to maps and code it so the moment when you enter the island the premium is "frozen") are the only two things that have to be coded ever - and actually this means just reusing code for GV and code for premium expiration.

- On that islands enclosures would be secure for the only thing that since premium will be frozen, noone will have 21 BS required to bash down fences.

- Exploited huge enclosures won't be feasible because it means they will be build with F2P skills, so low ql, so repairs will be a hassle.

- New / free (but not only) players will have the option to have their house/enclosure there, in a totally safe environment, or on the main land, where they would be exposed to break in risks (or they could have both)

- These players won't be isolated - they could always travel over the rest of the server, do trades, earn their coins for premium or whatever

- There will be no expiration of your place as long as you mantain it, but it will go poof pretty fast if not maintained due to quality cap

Nobody from the rest of the server won't be affected by the new island, but any free / new player who would want a safe heaven without any cost (deed), but with limited opportunities (capped skills) could settle there.

Scarface, its not a bad idea, but it does not solve the real issue at hand, which is not about newbs. The issue as stated by Rolf on the first page, is the time the GM's are having to respond to tickets. So if your suggesting to remove the enclosure rule and put this in place instead, then I would be against it, as the issues are still there for current paying players and legal enclosures. If you suggest to still have the enclosure rule, and this safe newb island then I would support something like that. But the issue of the GM's having to much workload does not get resolved, which it seems to be Rolfs goal....

... But the issue of the GM's having to much workload does not get resolved, which it seems to be Rolfs goal....

The real goal is to have as few GM rules as possible, and let the game mechanics control what players can and cannot do.  It's not so much "too much workload" as "this is not the best use of staff time". 

To put it another way ... we want to prevent illegal action, rather than punish it after the fact.

• Like 6

The real goal is to have as few GM rules as possible, and let the game mechanics control what players can and cannot do.  It's not so much "too much workload" as "this is not the best use of staff time". 

To put it another way ... we want to prevent illegal action, rather than punish it after the fact.

Then keep it simple, make it so off-deed fences can not be bashed at all.  Increase decay rate so that they dont last forever.  Make repairing them faster/easier so that an active player can keep them up.  Lets get off the who has bigger tracts of land argument.  Remove the troll ability to bash fences, so that avenue of griefing is gone as well.

If a hole develops in the fence, then the owner beware, just like when a deed owner finds out some setting was not set right and they were robbed blind.

edit: Might do well to get away from random decay ticks with fences like this so that player can not say he did not know his fence was going to drop.  Have some set pattern of decay that a player can predict.

Edited by Pollo
  • Like 4

Then keep it simple, make it so off-deed fences can not be bashed at all.  Increase decay rate so that they dont last forever.  Make repairing them faster/easier so that an active player can keep them up.  Lets get off the who has bigger tracts of land argument.  Remove the troll ability to bash fences, so that avenue of griefing is gone as well.

If a hole develops in the fence, then the owner beware, just like when a deed owner finds out some setting was not set right and they were robbed blind.

Low level fences disappear pretty quickly, the problem is high level QL fences , and its already easy enough to repair them

And that opens up a whole other way to grief.  Fences as weapons.  Bear in mind fences don't have ownership.  Unless there's recent logs, we don't know who built them. 

• Like 2

Alot easier to figure out if a fence is a weapon, or if somoene is intentionally making something so large as to grief someone.

At this point though, I don't care.  Lock the thread, 23 pages of this is too much.  Plenty of ideas have been given.

Time for Rolf to do whatever he planned on doing from the beginning.

• Like 1