Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Feedback on Trader suggestion

>>>>>>I am posting as a player, not as a member of staff<<<<<<

Traders have needed a change for a long time, my suggestion is as follows:

1- Lock all new trader sales right now, remove the ability to BUY the papers to create them from the game completely, today.

2- Give all existing traders a counter so that they will pay out 75 silver over the next 10 months to reimburse players for the cost they have put into them.

3- as the last coin is collected from traders that currently exist, they dismiss. after 1 year any remaining traders also dismiss regardless of if they have been completely drained or not.

4- give players the option to "visit kings market" at any settlement token, where they can then purchase all the money sink items traders currently sell (and some mirrors... and well a few other things, different thread tho).

in response to the players saying "I only get 5-6 silver a month and that's not really a fountain of wealth"

-- in 10 months the trader pays for itself completely, There are traders on indy that have been there, giving out coins for YEARS, Its not how much per month they give out, its how long they have the potential to continue to do so. a 50 silver investment that pays back 3-4 gold over a couple of years is a fountain in my opinion. Its also a poorly designed game mechanic as far as I'm concerned.

Only suggestion im ok with if it comes to it, however im wondering when you are going to make pvping in large groups viable again

Edited by Propheteer

I can't believe peope say it is hard work to maintain a trader - it is not, if you have it closed off. You only need to drain and reset the ratio of these traders once a month. That is not hard work. Now if instead of ratio (I can understand the original intent behind this) where the traders receive funds as long as the trader has sold for 10 pct of what it has bought, you used frequeny of trades with the trader - instead of or as well as the current system - there would be a lot more work involved in maintaining the ratio on these traders. That would at least make pure trader deeds held by non-prem alts, that log in once a month to drain the trader less likely, or at least a LOT more work, while open traders that are actually used by players on a regular basis would still be useful.

I like this idea a lot. Combined with more items that the trader can sell, as people have suggested-the mirrors, sleep powder at a better cost, etc, it might open up more traders to the public. I also like who ever suggested the trader auctionhouse idea. Possibly more trouble than it's worth, but trekking all the way up to Blossom to get a deed, since few other traders are open is a huge pain.

They only make ~5s a month now since the sell option, it's not much anymore.

Anyway, instead of giving money to traders, simply make it so that every PREMIUM player receives a part of the money that traders usually get from the king.

Put it in their bank.

Most fair for everyone... (or keep the money yourself for developement.... :P)

This is an interesting idea, actually. Especially if traders aren't giving that much. I know they are supposed to be a 'buy in' but aren't we all 'buying in' with premium? I'm not sure it would work, but it's worth considering.

Propheteer, I dont PvP at all, and have no idea how that affects anything really. My suggestion is how I would go about removing them with the least impact to the current system. I'm afraid i dont really tie it to pvp.

What about entirely removing traders, replace them with some Kingdom Merchants for those deed papers and whatever, and pay us a monthly salary for the obligation to stand "funny" update after "funny" update?

Or maybe make traders to run away from home when they are locked in a building/fence? :blink:

Edited by Ballad

Traders have needed a change for a long time, my suggestion is as follows:

1- Lock all new trader sales right now, remove the ability to BUY the papers to create them from the game completely, today.

2- Give all existing traders a counter so that they will pay out 75 silver over the next 10 months to reimburse players for the cost they have put into them.

3- as the last coin is collected from traders that currently exist, they dismiss. after 1 year any remaining traders also dismiss regardless of if they have been completely drained or not.

4- give players the option to "visit kings market" at any settlement token, where they can then purchase all the money sink items traders currently sell (and some mirrors... and  well a few other things, different thread tho).

in response to the players saying "I only get 5-6 silver a month and that's not really a fountain of wealth" 

-- in 10 months the trader pays for itself completely, There are traders on indy that have been there, giving out coins for YEARS, Its not how much per month they give out, its how long they have the potential to continue to do so. a 50 silver investment that pays back 3-4 gold over a couple of years is a fountain in my opinion. Its also a poorly designed game mechanic as far as I'm concerned.

I can live with this solution...as unpalatable as the entire idea is for me... I can live with your suggestion listed in #2 above.  As long as I get the initial investment back, I'll be satisfied.  I agree that while some traders have been drained for years...keep in mind that some who just purchased a Trader Contract last month will get seriously shafted by yanking them today as you suggest.  Again, I can live with your approach and it's the only solution I can see working if Rolf intends on removing them

As you may know because I've written it a lot of times, traders are not supposed to be the fountains of income they are today.

I want them to be used as magnets for people needing to interact with them, and not to be locked away and barred from public. It's unnatural for a poor trader to be treated like that and it gives the people with the money to purchase one an unintended reserved pool of income.

The original reason behind them is twofold: One is to provide needed items that aren't created by players such as settlement forms and nodecay chests, and the second one is money distribution.

The price for a trader is 50 silver coins. I suggest that they will also only purchase stuff for 50 silver coins, then only sell.

I also suggest that we replace the money distribution with some other method that is open for everyone and not only those in control of traders. We already do that to some extent now with the SELL option. Suggestions for one which includes higher quality items are welcome.

Thoughts?

You literally just raised the amount of money traders give not that long ago. Why change you're tune now?  

Also if its just a money issue (which it usually is with this game) why not just be reasonable the prices of things on there. Why in gods name is say a sleep powder 5s? Do you even realize if someone bought silver from you that one sleep powder is like (for me anyway) six or seven USD. LOL the prices the trader charges for things are insane. It's no wonder ppl don't put money into them.

If you want them to be "be used as magnets for people needing to interact with them, and not to be locked away and barred from public" then put a cap on how much money someone can drain off a starter deed merchant. So no one person can come and drain it all.  But the ones that people spend their own money on and put on their deeds, that shouldn't be up to you if they are locked away or not. If I paid for it, it's mine, doesn't belong to the public. The ones you put in do. 

Or here is an idea, if you want ppl to have to pay for their deeds themselves and not with traders, why not make the deeds not cost a billion dollars a month. (for a larger deed) And really why is it that the prices for guards is triple depending on what server you play on. Doesn't actually matter what the reasoning is for this, fact is you are charging more to some ppl then other ppl who all play the exact same game.  So if I want to carebear around where nobody really needs guards its 1 silver, but if you want to pvp its 3 silver. You are penalizing people who want to pvp. lol 

IMO you should leave it alone. This is not like the price hike that you said was needed, this is just you wanting to make more money off the game. There are plenty of ways to do that without driving players away, which is exactly what a change like this will do. This will make it so that the players who have tons of money to dump into wurm still will, and the ones who don't will literally be forced by you to leave the game. In other games if you have to pay prem you can have an alt or more then one on that same account so its not so bad paying for prem. If you live alone in wurm or even in a small village and need say priests to help your village out you can end up spending 20, 30, $40 in one month, or even more depending on what you need. That in itself is off-putting to many would be players. And now you want to take away even more.... lol  

For the love of Wurm, just stop.

Edited by amberain80
  • Like 1

Remove VAT costs from those not in the EU then do whatever you want to traders

• Like 2

Remove VAT costs from those not in the EU then do whatever you want to traders

Also an excellent suggestion.

Also an excellent suggestion.

Excellent indeed!

Allright, thanks for your feedback. We've discussed it and decided not to change traders on existing servers for now since people are so accustomed to the system. We have some interesting ideas for more ways of money distribution that we may try.

• Like 9