Sign in to follow this  
Trepper

Meat eaters attack bisons

Just because of a bunch of comments like this I decided to make a brand new character on Affliction, aka the hardest server to gain FS on, and it was a little difficult but I managed to pull it off.  I also did this with 0 help from others, I made my own gear and such.  Sure I definitely used the benefit of the absorb function but I didn't use healing covers.  The absorb function is definitely useful but as Affliction is the smallest map in the game yet it still has the same creature count and a low population I figured if I could make it on affliction with nogumps you guys could make it on freedom.

Also I just want to add that dying when you have low skill is not really a bad thing, you really don't lose much at all.  Mind you dying on Affliction could be bad since people can take your stuff but in general if you stay near the starter deed when raising your FS initially there is always a path to retreat.

Getting the BC 21 is also incredibly useful but sadly on Affliction there are a serious lack of wild horses and I decided to keep the experiment untainted and not accept help so I never had a horse, I just stayed near guard towers and deeds with spirit shadows.

Also, none of my horses have been attacked yet because of the change and none of my horse pens have been stormed by trolls.  So I really don't see any problems with this update.  Sure, sometimes when I hitch a bison to my cart it gets attacked but bison are extremely hard to kill and I can heal it very easily with cotton, or just kill the attacker.

I lived on freedom for about a year and I understand exactly what you guys are going through because I did the exact same thing myself.  No gear no skills related to fighting it felt like I was playing Minecraft, except if I had a templar and never left the deed I'd never worry about enemies.  Now the devs added some semblance of a challenge and everything is up in arms.

Thing is though, it's not everyone is it?  I chatted with a ton of people on epic and chaos and they don't mind the change, but I didn't stop there I logged in one of my old freedom toons and asked around and maybe 1 in 5 actually said they had issues with it, the rest actually liked it.  Most of the guys with issues either didn't bother at all in gearing up or putting any attempt into raising fighting or they had zoo's.

The problem with this post is the majority of the people who actually like the change don't go here and speak their mind, sadly it's just the ones that hate it.  The good thing is that not really that many people are asking for this change to be nerfed, it's not like the outpour of negative comments about the disintegrate situation, so I really hope the devs notice that not that many people are actually mad about this change.

The same thing happened a while back, creature count was doubled on all servers and the mobs would go on deeds, but then a small group of people complained and then the change to make creatures avoid deeds was put into place.  I was disappointed then but I'll be a lot more disappointed if a change like this is nerfed to oblivion too.

I had to switch to a pvp server to have any sort of fear in my mind and I'm not even a pvper, I'm a carebear.

The game is far too easy in my opinion.

Retracted.  In the end the previous poster said what I should have said instead of my being flippant.

Edited by Ikeprof

Having low skill is not the same as being a newbie. If you are an experienced player you know how to play the game and how to work around difficulties. Also: You didn't mind dying much because you knew that it doesn't affect all that much on a new character. New players won't feel that way, it is very frustrating to die over and over as soon as you start a new game. Sure they have the newbie protection for the first few hours, but after that?

Edited by Aeris

Dumb change! Mainly because of the negative affects mobs will cause from attacking players: horses, bison, cows, bulls...ect.

The proper choices would have been to also add some kind of switch which you can apply to your pets so mobs don't attack them. This could be as simple as an enchanted piece of gear you equip on the animal. Here each player can tailor their experience.

Wurm...whats more important, your customers or your arrogant vision?

I do not mind the change nor the challenge.  The idea has possibilities of being entertaining.  What is not entertaining is going to bed one night, thinking all is well and waking up to many bison, all cows, and some deer dead.  If I would have known, I would have battened down the hatches on my deed.

It took time to breed those animals.  When I go on vacation, I have a friend come by and care for them.  I care about them.  Other players have other priorities, and I totally understand that.  All I do on Wurm is care for animals and farm, and I like to do that in a low key, somewhat safe environment, which we've carved out on our deed.  Wurm was nearly a perfect game for me.  I told all of my friends about it and have tried to get them to play.

Now I feel betrayed.  To find my fenced in or hitched Wurm babies slaughtered by trespassing trolls while I slept...a little disturbing.

Thanks for giving us a place to discuss this and air out issues.  I've seen people complain about whiners, and I'm happy they are still having fun.  I want to point out that not all of us whiners are children or new to games.  I'm over 40 and have been playing games for 20 years.

Wurm has given me many hours of enjoyment, but altering the rules that can change a game in such a way overnight is simply not cool in my book.

• Like 4

Gotta love how the aggressive creatures are killing off pretty everything that is feasible for newbies to kill to gain fs. ;o

The amount of misinformation and FUD in this thread is simply staggering.  

Can I ask when was it that you were a newbie Aeris? It probably was neither in 2013 or 2014. And can you with a straight face tell me that as a newbie you gained your FS mostly by killing deer, cows and bisons in the wild?  

I can tell you that as a new player in 2013 i did not see any deer or cows for weeks, and didn't see any bison for months. And to this day a bison would still eat me alive if I tried anything.

FYI, newbie players get their teeth sharpened by fighting bugs, cats, lions, and wolves, the aggro animals that you find everywhere and are weak.  

The new changes need a lot of tweaking , that's obvious, and they came as a thief in the night, which is a crying shame. People like Rael above lost animals before they could know it.

But please stop with the ridiculous claims. New players will not get less fights from this - unless bison kill all the wolves and cats  :P

Elsewhere I see veteran hunters crying over how they can no longer steamroll over hundreds of mobs in their bison-powered carts after the change, and they will leave the game because they are now not able to transport their tons of meat. There you have it Aeris, those hunters are rather the cause for why new players may have few mobs to fight. Those whiners can leave and pass the wealth of the land on to new players, or - shock - hitch horses to their cart. 

Edited by Cista
  • Like 1

Yeah... if you wanted FS, you wouldn't hunt for any non aggro, even in the beginning.

I haven't seen result of the update yet, but the update itself doesn't sound very good because of the frustrations it adds. Hopefully can be reverted if it's as bad as it sounds

I can tell you that as a new player in 2013 i did not see any deer or cows for weeks, and didn't see any bison for months. And to this day a bison would still eat me alive if I tried anything.

FYI, newbie players get their teeth sharpened by fighting bugs, cats, lions, and wolves, the aggro animals that you find everywhere and are weak.  

It's not all about just FS.

How do you get leather as a new player not part of an established deed to train LW and make your armor when the only leather dropping animal that's not going to get hunted to extinction are corcs that you have no chances to kill?  How do you get a mount to ride on?

How do you get leather as a new player not part of an established deed to train LW and make your armor when the only leather dropping animal that's not going to get hunted to extinction are corcs that you have no chances to kill?  How do you get a mount to ride on?

Afaik horses are not killed, but I asked that question here 

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/99181-new-creature-intelligence-faq/

I used to gain FS on non-aggros, back when the spawn system was actually working, right before the release of Epic servers.

Back then we actually had fun hunting without being overrun by spiders every 5 tiles.

Before Wurm dev's come up with more smart ways to play with creature AI, maybe they could fix the spawn system first??

Having low skill is not the same as being a newbie. If you are an experienced player you know how to play the game and how to work around difficulties. Also: You didn't mind dying much because you knew that it doesn't affect all that much on a new character. New players won't feel that way, it is very frustrating to die over and over as soon as you start a new game. Sure they have the newbie protection for the first few hours, but after that?

I agree yes, but where will you draw the line?  When I was new I decided I wanted to make my own village in the middle of a steppe.  Yeah, this was when I was new, man did I learn a lot about why you shouldn't make a village at a steppe.  The village ended up being on the edge of a desert and a steppe too, yes, I was clearly nuts.  So I called the village Thunderdome due to being so damn deadly.

Wurm is not an easy game, if a new player doesn't quit because they die constantly they'll quit because making a 1x1 wood house uses 80 planks.  Nevermind the fact that they need to find iron, either by rummaging or finding someone elses vein.  Then add in all the foraging for food, bla bla bla.  Wurm is not supposed to be easy, this update didn't make it easier, but somehow I honestly still find it kinda easy so I'm glad bison aren't safe, there was too many of them already.

Dumb change! Mainly because of the negative affects mobs will cause from attacking players: horses, bison, cows, bulls...ect.

Horses were not affected by this change.  It kinda sucks we'll see less cows, they were already pretty rare in the first place, but c'est la vie.

Horses weren't affected, breed horses kill them, get leather.  You don't need crocs.  Also you get a mount by finding a horse because horses weren't affected by this change.

If horses were actually affected by this change everyone would be up in arms, but they weren't, which is very good.  The only thing, in my opinion, which sucks in all this is cows are now more rare, but milk isn't really a necessity so I'm not really that concerned.  Bison were affected, sure, and people use bison to pull carts/wagons, yes I can see the annoyance, use horses instead if it bothers you.

Horses weren't affected by this change, so stop saying they were.

Heh Cista I am not unfamiliar with playing on new characters wearing the starter equipment. I tested what you could and could not kill and got slaughtered by a mountain lion.

As far as your cart argument goes I don't much care for that since non-prem newbies can't ride carts and I'm not interested in your "whiner" arguments. It has absolutely nothing to do with my comment and you're just attacking me because you dislike me as a person and think that I'm arguing for my own sake.

As far as your cart argument goes I don't much care for that since non-prem newbies can't ride carts and I'm not interested in your "whiner" arguments. It has absolutely nothing to do with my comment and you're just attacking me because you dislike me as a person and think that I'm arguing for my own sake.

Pardon, but the cart argument was not aimed at you, hence I wrote: "*Elsewhere* I see veteran hunters crying" over carts - the direct prompt was a post further up by someone named Jeixi.