Sign in to follow this  
Trepper

Meat eaters attack bisons

I just went out to rescue what non aggro we have left before they become extinct! .. just to find gangs of bison killing all the aggros?

If we are going to make it more realistic, then surely aggros should be attacking each other too?

I can see the future. Soon only trolls will remain muhaha..   in game too, lol.

• Like 1

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Shrimpiie, April 2, 2014 - Removed - Staff bashing
Hidden by Shrimpiie, April 2, 2014 - Removed - Staff bashing

I just went out to rescue what non aggro we have left before they become extinct! .. just to find gangs of bison killing all the aggros?

If we are going to make it more realistic, then surely aggros should be attacking each other too?

I can see the future. Soon only trolls will remain muhaha..   in game too, lol.

the arggos killing the arggos? what? next you will want bison running in herds..gah..then whats next? deer in herds? wild stallions in herds? no, remember its more realistic to have a bear chase a single deer, and bear plus a croc stand side by side

hell yea! +1 to to the bison for fighting back!

• Like 1

Wildcats, mountain lions, and wolves will all be extinct soon due to bison killing them. :P

That reminds me of a nature video I once saw.  Some lions were hunting wildebeest.  And it was all about the lions and how fearsome they are and they were going to pick off and kill some defenseless cow.  Right up until one of the lions managed to annoy a few of the bull wildebeest.  Then you saw a lion clawing its way into a scrub tree as bulls charged like freight trains.  The lion was hanging there looking pretty foolish with its arms and legs askew trying to stay in the tree.  King of the Jungle.  Hehe, right.

Maybe one day we'll get herding dynamics, and then creatures hunting creatures will be improved.

Bit late for an April fool's joke now that things are dead :P

Like "hah I broke your arm! Happy April fool's!"

I would consider it a good joke if we get a roll back to where it was before the update. Please can we have that? :D

Must rollback player stats too though please... those who died in the troll attack will appreciate it and maybe not quit then ;-)

Edited by Smilingcat

What an idiotic update.

So now travel on land without stopping every 3 tiles to kill something that attacks your mount or cart/wagon animals is pretty much impossible, unless you ride bears. New players will never see a living wild horse ever again, and 99.9% of the wild animal population will be aggressive. Off deed animal pens are off the question and sooner or later your ondeed ones will be bashed and all your animals killed, unless you pay for multiple templars (because templars on PVE servers were nerfed due to PVP stuff, yay!)

You guys have a HUGE talent for ###### with your customers and driving them away... at least nowadays there are more that enough other good sandbox games out there.

Edited by bdew

Hello everyone, I have read your feedback and brought it up with team. We are making further adjustments to the ai.

Mainly the supposed troll overdrive on bashing in on deeded houses, enclosures and agro on hitched animals.

We have yet to confirm the cases but we are currently looking at the mechanics to see what should be tweaked.

The aim is to create a more living environment where you will find more natural interaction between mobs.

Which I hardly believe that anyone wont find exiting. Well, there is always someone ;)

This is supposed to be a Wild and exiting game, but we are not out to make it unnecessarily punishing on you deeded territory.

Just enough to keep you on your toes and make for an exiting challenge.

• Like 2

Hello everyone, I have read your feedback and brought it up with team. We are making further adjustments to the ai.

Mainly the troll bashing in on deeded houses, enclosures and hitched animals.

That is good. 

Why does a change like this go live with no apparent thought to the consequences?

We don't mind change, we welcome change, but it's the way it's done that we really have issue with. It seems to us there's no testing, or even clear idea of what the consequences of the changes you make, would be. From one day to the next we go from status quo, to having a massive change impacting our game.

There are mulitple posts stating trolls have destroyed herds. How did that not occur to the dev team as a possible outcome from this change? Are patches not properly thought through with all possible outcomes covered?

If this had been mentioned as "we're thinking of doing this next week, what do you think?" we could have all brought up the troll bashing and hitched animal issues. If those are fixed, then there's still the issue of wild animals being virtually extinct after this as they are so massively outnumbered by strong predators like crocs, scorps and lava spiders - but that's another matter.

The aim is to create a more living environment where you will find more natural interaction between mobs.

Which I hardly believe that anyone wont find exiting. Well, there is always someone ;)

This is supposed to be a Wild and exiting game, but we are not out to make it unnecessarily punishing on you deeded territory.

Then animals need to only attack when starving, and the ratio of prey to predator needs to be at least 10-1 to be realistic. 

Either go full realistic, or don't mess with it. Anything in between looks half-arsed.

I like this change in principle, but the negative effects were a little predictable weren't they? Surprised it was rolled out without any apparent thought to them.

• Like 1

Mainly the supposed troll overdrive on bashing in on deeded houses, enclosures and agro on hitched animals.

We have yet to confirm the cases but we are currently looking at the mechanics to see what should be tweaked.

It sounds like good tweaks, but sadly I don't think it is enough to make we want to play again. All of these things are consequences that imo should have been thought of BEFORE implementing such a change. And that is what makes me doubt this game - that there is a big thinking step that seems to be missing in your development process, and correcting the "mistakes" after the fact isn't enough - ideally people learn from their mistakes, but instead it is obvious that we should expect more of them.

How you manage to overlook consequences that it took actual players all of 5 minutes to point out - without logging into the game, and without actually seeing it happen, but just from they way you worded this "predator vs. prey change" is .... scary. I have never before payed to play on a test server, and umm... I see why that isn't generally a good business model.

• Like 3

After all these posts, I'd like to think you CAN believe we don't find this 'exciting'. I'm sorry but the posts we see from devs seem to indicate that they have no idea what us lowly regular players even do in this game. This really needs to be pulled off the normal servers and tested like code should be, before thrown at us. How many people have to leave before forethought comes into play? Do the devs and Rolf want this to be a game full of only the kind of player who likes seeing other people fail and suffer?

• Like 2

Do the devs and Rolf want this to be a game full of only the kind of player who likes seeing other people fail and suffer?

And in that case, we'd all be better off playing EVE!

• Like 1

I love it!! Thank you so much for trying to evolve your game this way, I honestly thought it was an April's fool joke, but it wasn't!

I am one of those with many many animals in a big offdeed enclosure, well traited, I might lose them all along the way, but I will adapt, that's why I am in this game.  Just keep tweaking these mechanisms so they will be more natural, less punishing for some of the unhappy players, and I will keep loving you.

Regarding the realism: FPS game developers were tried to integrate a real world AI into games and the result was terrible - players didn't expect the smart strategy and later on left the game while testing - thats why all FPS has no real world but and dumb enemy AI.

In wurm the wildlife pressure is nice though, so attacking animals really have a point but not with this rate maybe.

• Like 2

Here's an idea. How about simply ASKING US what we'd like to see in the game, and go from there.

• Like 1

Right, because we all know all the succesful and thrilling games out there have reached their status by being directed by the demands of their most vocal forum warriors, rather than having the developers implement new ideas of their own.

/sarcasm

Making a game harder is not a bad thing. 

Now bisons and other animals won't live forever unless you protect them.

Using horses on wagon and can't outrun any dangerous mob, 12km/h.

It is really fun how you can die with precious cargo, at least no monotonous travels.

• Like 1

im not against this change if it would include some "predator and prey" typical behaviours aswell! so it gets some kind of fairness to it...

just a few examples:

-prey has heightened senses to "see" the threat and can flee before anything happens, only the fastest predators hunting on easy terrain like slopes less than 20 would get their prey

-there needs to be an advantage for prey aswell, like beeing able to hide in tall grass

-sneak for predators

-reasons for animals to go near dangerous places to come out of hiding from time to time, like needing to visit water ponds and so on

-no animal spawns on DEED !!! so that fences are actually protecting animals!

-animal groups, that in nature would group up aswell, like wolf packs or horse tribes, that gives them an advantage of some sort

-naturally born animals (no spawning, but faster giving birth when not domesticated)

-predators only need one animal to not be starving anymore AND predators CAN hunt each other aswell

-trolls and goblins evolve to some higher beeings (because they have tools and clothes) and are able to live for a while from berries and mushrooms

-hitched animals that notice a threat make event messages or even sounds to warn the owner [15:01] Wildrose looks around nervously. she seems to be scared of something.

its just some examples of things that could be done or should be done before implementing just "half" of a predator/prey system....

• Like 3

Edited by Zakerak

• Like 2

• Like 1