Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Creature ai and email management

Confirmed horses attacked by sharks when leading in the water behind a knarr...

Confirmed horses attacked by sharks when leading in the water behind a knarr...

Edited by Jasmyn

Did some reading

Solution: keep the new feature but remove horses and bison from "prey" category. This or prevent the feature ondeed or if the "prey" is hitched.

Don't think I've had any of these problems personally though, lol. Lots of walls between the wild and my horses.

After all the concerns voiced here, why was this not ninja patched or reverted?

Do our voices as customers not count for anything?

Trolls have been bashing their way into deeds as I had feared as soon as I had heard of this predator instinct. IMO as soon as that had been mentioned, the servers should have been taken down to remove troll bashing and then brought back up so the rest of the changes could be observed. 

However as the late maintenance took place close to the end of the working day, I have a feeling that the dev team patched, clapped each other on the back for a job well done, and headed home. I fear the majority must be oblivious to the outcry that's been happening ingame and on the forums, otherwise how in good conscience could they have allowed this to happen? Unless of course they like us being angry at them. That might be it.

If by some miracle this actually IS an April Fools joke, and the servers get rolled back to how they were on Monday, then Devs, my hat comes off to you - you've managed to anger more people with this stunt than you probably thought possible.

I don't think you can earn back the respect you have lost from this debacle. If you patched bridges, sheep, the new housing etc in today, completely working and bug-free, and fixed this to removing ondeed and hitched animals from being prey, you might appease people enough to keep them.

However, for some people this might have been the last straw. Once again, the game had been changed by releasing a patch with no warning whatsoever.

• Like 2

However, for some people this might have been the last straw. Once again, the game had been changed by releasing a patch with no warning whatsoever.

Only been like this for years lol

• Certain selected creatures such as deer and bison are now considered prey and may now be hunted by carnivores while trying to avoid them.

• Like 1

From my experience horses arent part of the prey, and has everybody missed the fact that prey will path away from mobs, and are faster than mobs?

Hitched animals being attacked should be changed, but apart from that, all I see is more fear than reality

If you want "reality", no ecosystem where predators outnumber prey 100 to 1 is viable.

If at least you had larger predators attacking smaller ones, so say trolls hunting down anything in sight when hungry, spiders taking down wolves and brown bears... y'know, give each a "favorite" ... 

From my experience horses arent part of the prey, and has everybody missed the fact that prey will path away from mobs, and are faster than mobs?

Hitched animals being attacked should be changed, but apart from that, all I see is more fear than reality

Did you miss the part where horses were attacked by sharks? And where lots of people have lost whole herds? It's nice to tl; dr everything and call us all crybabies but you are wrong.

• Like 6

Half the hiring and monthly cost of templars and maybe this won't be so heavily bait n' switch, considering that until March 31st you bought one thing when setting up a deed, and today it's something entirely different (and less valuable).

• Like 1

The Mob change is terrible for islanders. They wait so long for deer and bisons to actually spawn there, just for them to be killed by other animals before locals even see them.

I'm all for more survivalistic aspects on freedom, but sharks attacking lead horse on boat, is uncool...fair enough if there was an alternative way of transporting them that would be different.

Edited by Milosanx

Instead of focusing on adding new behaviour to animals, which obviously didn't turn out to well. How about focusing on fixing behaviour like grazing animals just eating tiles to dirt and then just stand there starving when there's tiles next to the animal with grass/farm on? 
Someone suggested making AI check nearby tiles for highest grass and go there to feed, this would solve so many issues with a few horses packing a huge area! 

• Like 10

Instead of focusing on adding new behaviour to animals, which obviously didn't turn out to well. How about focusing on fixing behaviour like grazing animals just eating tiles to dirt and then just stand there starving when there's tiles next to the animal with grass/farm on? 

Someone suggested making AI check nearby tiles for highest grass and go there to feed, this would solve so many issues with a few horses packing a huge area! 

Did you miss the part where horses were attacked by sharks? And where lots of people have lost whole herds? It's nice to tl; dr everything and call us all crybabies but you are wrong.

To everyone complaining about no more non agro mobs: They respawn.

It wouldn't hurt to increase the cap either though. (I only speak for chaos, don't live on the other servers)

To everyone complaining about no more non agro mobs: They respawn.

It wouldn't hurt to increase the cap either though. (I only speak for chaos, don't live on the other servers)

Actually, something respawns but doesnt mean it'll be non-aggro. There is a basic ratio inplace, but looking at the last creature numbers, it appears aggro spawns are on the rise, even if only slightly.

well I know I'm going to make enemies here but I'm going to say it.

I like the new AI animals. I'm a newer player (2months) and I have never killed a bison, deer or horse on my own.

I started on wild cats, then mountain loins, and I can kill some weaker wolves. I don't wear gear most of the time

(didn't like the speed drop) and fight with two axes, my fs is now 28, yet I haven't even tried to really level that hard.

sorry but the "you're being mean to noobs" claim is void imo. As for new players not getting animals, I can't tell you

how many people have offered me a free horse, or brought  over a pig or chicken. I have traveled across the server

and caught some on my own and I even hunted some down/bought some for others. As long as there is a good community

on the server new players will be ok. Yes things will be hard, yes I will sob like a baby when I loose my best animal,

but then I will pick myself up and try again.

• Like 3

I don't consider you an enemy now, Kittysong. though I disagree with you. I know you're a nice player who helps others and your reasoning for liking the change is not "F these stupid nubs and carebears".

I love this update.

For those of you who are worried about wagons and horses and such, please show me where it says that wagons are a safe place to put your animals? Because before this I was mining, and guess what, a spider killed my two horses hitched to the wagon. This was months ago. I didn't cry about it. I decided it was a stupid decision not to check the cave first and moved on.

• Like 1

I love this update.

For those of you who are worried about wagons and horses and such, please show me where it says that wagons are a safe place to put your animals? Because before this I was mining, and guess what, a spider killed my two horses hitched to the wagon. This was months ago. I didn't cry about it. I decided it was a stupid decision not to check the cave first and moved on.

Were they tamed horses? Else I don't know why they were attacked if you weren't on them..

Here's the reason in my own personal opinion the current change where non-aggressive animals (bison, deer, whatever others) get attacked by predators isn't realistic.

In RL nature, the herd animals vastly outnumber their predators in their native environment.  So a lone mountain lion (puma) picking off a deer doesn't jeopardize the existence of the herd.  It's pretty obvious that in Wurm Online's spawning, no such low carnivore:herbivore ratio exists.  The result will be that finding a non-aggressive animal such as a deer or bison will be incredibly rare, generally only when they first spawn or a short time afterwards, whereas aggressives will be even more commonplace than before in terms of what you're likely to encounter.

For newer characters that don't have herds of domestic animals already on a large deeded farm/ranch, this is a bad thing.

• Like 5

Here's the reason in my own personal opinion the current change where non-aggressive animals (bison, deer, whatever others) get attacked by predators isn't realistic.

In RL nature, the herd animals vastly outnumber their predators in their native environment.  So a lone mountain lion (puma) picking off a deer doesn't jeopardize the existence of the herd.  It's pretty obvious that in Wurm Online's spawning, no such low carnivore:herbivore ratio exists.  The result will be that finding a non-aggressive animal such as a deer or bison will be incredibly rare, generally only when they first spawn or a short time afterwards, whereas aggressives will be even more commonplace than before in terms of what you're likely to encounter.

For newer characters that don't have herds of domestic animals already on a large deeded farm/ranch, this is a bad thing.

Once the predator population stabilizes at something other than starving, predators are going to stop hunting. At least that is how I understood it. So we will likely see a drop in the beginning and after that it will recover.

In RL nature, the herd animals vastly outnumber their predators in their native environment. 

Hmm, a thought just occurred to me. Maybe the above statement holds the answer to the balance in this new predators vs prey scenario? Perhaps increasing herd animal numbers is the key. It would certainly go more at par with RL.

In all my travels and exploration, I can count the deer I've found on one hand. I've killed hundreds of mountain lions and spiders though, and a lesser number of wolves, scorpions, and the like.

I've also noticed that in my area actual cows seem hard to find. I only have two cows, and despite breeding them 4 times have only gotten bull calves. If everything is now nomming domestic animals, I can't imagine cows in the wild being any more easy to find now. Kinda hard to start cheese making in earnest with only two cows! :P

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this