Sign in to follow this  
belthize

Make animals graze

Add some simple AI that checks adjacent tiles (in a random order,  enough with the NW preference) and give it a 50/50 chance to move to the first tile it sees with higher grass than the one it's in.   It might still eat a tile to dirt but most likely it will randomly wander the pen eating.  

If you have too many animals in the pen they'll slowly eat it all to dirt but one horse in a large pen should almost never do it.

Gets a little annoying when a horse in a 100 tile area full of wild and tall grass eats a tile to dirt, you plant more grass and 10 seconds later it eats it to dirt again.

• Like 3

I suggest the creatures get some more "complex" AI behind them,  they hardly move or wonder around. 

Yeah, they need to wander more. After the last AI tweak they seem to have gotten dumber and just stay in one spot. All our dogs are starving as they won't move a tile to get to the food.

• Like 1

A fix to the current stasis bug is bound to come soon, let's hope that grazing gets more natural after that!

Posted Today, 05:01 PM

I suggest the creatures get some more "complex" AI behind them,  they hardly move or wonder around.

I agree as well as agree with selective feeding times per hour and random grass tile

Search and compare. However, there is a catch - thousands of times that code is run.

They used to move and graze but wurm can't handle having animals at the moment, hell it can't manage several toons in the same local area how is it going to manage this.

Nice idea, I am behind it but we need optimization firs. Badly.

• Like 1

Just have animals graze and eat from tiles in a 5x5 square around them

Either eat the best in a 3x3 (or 5x5) or move.

Also could wild animals have a greater chance of moving to a better tile to stop huge areas of steppe turning into 'packed dirt' and just killing everything!