Sign in to follow this  
Cookiestomper

PvE only: Restrict who can equip/unequip tower guards

For PvE only, for PvP different suggestions may be preferable.

Tower guards are incredibly weak against stronger mobs on PvE. Equiping them with better amor/weapons improves their chances of survival, but the downside is that anyone can take those items.

My suggestion is to restrict equiping-unequiping of guards to either:

1) Only the person who built the tower.

2) The owner of the deed the tower was built on.

3) Have a window where you can trade with or equip the guards by right clicking the tower (so tower could be fenced off, locked or placed under same restrictions as 1 or 2)

Of course, the bodies of guards would need to be protected by the same restrictions as above. (if 3, equipment of dead guards could automaticly be returned to an inventory window in tower).

PS: I know that to protect a deed you can just as well pay for templars. Allowing you to equip them with weapons as well may or may not be a necessary counterbalance. I should note though, that equiping 5 guards with high end gear can cost more than you'd ever spend on a single templar on freedom. (5x50ql chain + 5x50ql huge axe costs 8s at current rates on pristine. for 70ql this is 20s.)

Once again, this is for PvE only, for PvP different suggestions are most likely more beneficial.

Edit: The system I currently favor most is having a right-click inventory window for the guard tower with weapon/armor slots for each guard. These items are protected by deed item permissions if ondeed, otherwise not at all. Upon death of a guard, the gear is returned to the inventory and re-used by the next guard that spawns. Offdeed towers could be protected by locked fences or .... Weapons will take damage in battle just like they do when a player uses them.

Edited by Cookiestomper

Troll club and forget high end gear. People will ensure that the guards die to get the stuff.

It really doesn't take long to get FS for everything except trolls and when you get to that point, two of you can usually kill one.

I don't think either of those ways would be a good solution for doing it. maybe being un-able to equip the item if it was placed on the guard by someone else, and even that has SO many ways to be abused. (Example, I'd stick a weak weapon on your guard so he dies - granted, once dead you could easily fix that) but limiting to who built the tower would definitely not work, and the deed one may, but that is also to limited.

Also, even if you hate the PVE aspect, I highly suggest getting a good LT weapon, and a good set of 70-80+ ql gear.  if you get those, you'll be able to solo anything that comes your way without a issue. and you won't even need the guards :) not to mention - Free fight skill!   I know it's not a solution you'd likely want (you wouldn't be asking for this obviously) but It works. ^_^

With that said, for the people that just completely hate the pve aspect of the game (which i'll never understand O.o) I'll give a +1 to a Different solution of giving guards better gear.  but I don't like the 1st way, and don't see the others working.

Troll club and forget high end gear. People will ensure that the guards die to get the stuff.

Corpses could be protected the same way the tower would. Using the tower inventory system, killing them would return the gear to the tower. Troll clubs are the way to go for now, but why not allow those guards an upgrade?

It really doesn't take long to get FS for everything except trolls and when you get to that point, two of you can usually kill one.

I have 70+ FS, decent gear and I'm perfectly able to kill almost anything on my path, without much trouble. I love fighting mobs, but some times I just want to craft/travel and not be bothered by them. Yes, walls keep mobs out, but if you will find yourself not inside those walls just as often as not.

but limiting to who built the tower would definitely not work, and the deed one may, but that is also to limited.

Yeah, I thought about that too. If it is an old tower nobody can help the guards.. So having a tower inventory that is open to anyone could work. To prevent someone taking your gear you would only have to fence off the tower or have it ondeed.

Edited by Cookiestomper

Guards do quite a bit better with belaying pins or even your standard staff than with their ghost weapons. Both are cheap and (relatively) easy to make and I can't think of too many people (or even one for that matter) who would mug a guard for a belaying pin. :lol:

It used to be you could put armor on them as well. I don't know if this is still the case or not as I have not tried in a very long time except a shield I found laying on the ground near spawn and it would not equip on a guard. I wouldn't waste my resources on this though. It did not seem to affect their defense back when I used to do it.

All of that being said, guards do die of old age. They wander off into the woods and keel over. Soon after, anything you put on them lays on the ground and decays. It may be that your guards seem to always be robbed because they have gone on to spirit Templar heaven and left their worldly possessions behind.

All of that being said, guards do die of old age. They wander off into the woods and keel over. Soon after, anything you put on them lays on the ground and decays. I

Yeah that's why I'm favoring the system in which the guard tower has a small inventory with weapon+armor slots for each guard. Upon death the items would return here for the next guard to use. Supposedly carried back by the surviving guards.

How that inventory is locked? Same rules for dropped items if it is ondeed, otherwise not at all.

Edited by Cookiestomper