Sign in to follow this  
Kammerz

Best bow type? and storage for arrows?

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Wurm, and wanted to get a high archery skill. I have had conflicting views over the type of bow I should be using.

People say I should use long bow so that I do not get aggro'd, then others say I should use short bow as I am flexible to any range and easier to fight after I have been aggro'd. 

So my first question would be...

What is the most beneficial bow type to master, short, normal or long? 

Secondly, the most obvious storage for arrows when you are hunting would be a quiver... is this necessarily true?

How many arrows can be stored inside a quiver and are there better options to hold arrows in?

Thanks!

Kammerz

(>")>    <("<)

I use enchanted willow longbow and willow medium bow, both do their job in PvE

Shortbow is more for PvP situations.

I store my arrows in 2 quivers 1 on inventory 1 on me, those usually last enough for even big hunt trips.

if not enough, just grab some backpacks.

41 in quiver,  100 in backpack

Im 64skill in longbow, 35 in medium bow

Long one gets more use from me :)

I use enchanted willow longbow and willow medium bow, both do their job in PvE

Shortbow is more for PvP situations.

I store my arrows in 2 quivers 1 on inventory 1 on me, those usually last enough for even big hunt trips.

if not enough, just grab some backpacks.

41 in quiver,  100 in backpack

Im 64skill in longbow, 35 in medium bow

Long one gets more use from me :)

Hi Silakka, 

Thank you! but a few further questions come to mind...

How heavy is a backpack and how heavy is a quiver do you know? I haven't made one yet to compare... then we can do some maths and see which is better to store arrows maybe?

Your recommendation makes sense for people to use short bow in pvp, and I don't have much intention to be going there , not any time soon really... The PVP videos make me cringe. It's just a gathering of horses and lots of right clicking - If I want to fight I'd play a real hack and slash game xD

Medium bow sounds ideal for me as I will be hunting with a friend who will probably play the tank role. And i can use it for solo situations too maybe...

Another question... if you don't mind...

What are the best arrows to use?  

• Like 1

Arrows made from maple take less damage.

Arrows made from cedar is easier to improve.

Edited by Sharkin

Arrows made from maple take less damage.

Arrows made from cedar is easier to improve.

I meant arrow tips sorry! I know that from the wiki...

But you have a choice of a load of different arrow tips (iron, steel, copper, adamantine etc)

Also, hunting arrows or war arrows??

pvp or pve I would pick longbow because when it is medium or short bow range you better use your melee weapon, it just far more efficient and damage dealing.

arrows on quiver when you going to use them (fit 41), on bsb when not used.

If you won't lost many arrows (pve), make from maple, else (pvp most likely) make from cedar.

• Like 1

pvp or pve I would pick longbow because when it is medium or short bow range you better use your melee weapon, it just far more efficient and damage dealing.

arrows on quiver when you going to use them (fit 41), on bsb when not used.

If you won't lost many arrows (pve), make from maple, else (pvp most likely) make from cedar.

oh... so when it says 'takes less damage'' on Wurmpedia, it means it breaks less? DOH! I thought it meant it deals less damage and not worth making out of it! Now it makes sense! 

Thanks Rose :)

War arrows

quiver 0.25kg

backpack 2kg

I've noticed that 17-25ql war arrows give best skillgain *.*

Feel free to PM me ingame for any archery tips

Got myself 40-73 recently and going to get 100 as soon as I get more arrows.

Edited by silakka

I meant arrow tips sorry! I know that from the wiki...

But you have a choice of a load of different arrow tips (iron, steel, copper, adamantine etc)

Also, hunting arrows or war arrows??

Hunting arrows are easier to hit with but do less damage, war arrows do more damage but hit less often. 

My personal preference goes to war arrows.

Also the arrowhead material has no effect whatsoever.

• Like 1

War arrows

quiver 0.25kg

backpack 2kg

I've noticed that 17-25ql war arrows give best skillgain *.*

Feel free to PM me ingame for any archery tips

Got myself 40-73 recently and going to get 100 as soon as I get more arrows.

Will do Silakka! I don't know anyone in PVE that does archery! I've never crossed anyone using a bow either, so must not be very popular... What is your in-game name? 

Maybe you should make a wurmpedia guide on it - would help us new aspiring robin hoods.. not mentioning I actually live in Nottingham irl and beside the statue and castle :D

I think i'm related... 

But I guess Robin Hood wasn't Indian... 

Hunting arrows are easier to hit with but do less damage, war arrows do more damage but hit less often. 

My personal preference goes to war arrows.

Also the arrowhead material has no effect whatsoever.

For early grind I guess hitting more would be better and damage not so much an issue? I noticed the hit is what gives you exp?

So hunting arrows to 20 then War arrows onwards sound good?

And for the arrow head material... WHATS the point in having the others if they make no difference GAH ROLF! lol... 

Silakka ingame too =)

Archery is very very underrated in PvE.. but in the past week ive killed over 30 raging trolls and 2 champ trolls with archery.

all down within 1-3minutes, depends how much they wanna run away.

Didn't scratch my armor at all, that's why I love archery.

on trolls with 73archery I miss only about 3% of the time with 23ql war arrows.

• Like 1

Silakka ingame too =)

Archery is very very underrated in PvE.. but in the past week ive killed over 30 raging trolls and 2 champ trolls with archery.

yes, trolls weak to arrows :P ...

Silakka ingame too =)

Wow... now you got me all excited at work I've left early just to come home and shoot arrows ROFL

Thank you Silakka!!! :D:D:D 

Can't wait - I have yet to even kill my first mob let alone trolls !!!

We've just been busy trying to build a settlement and survive ... everyday I'm almost dying from hunger, trying to make casseroles and meals that heal for 2% :*(

Wow... now you got me all excited at work I've left early just to come home and shoot arrows ROFL

Thank you Silakka!!! :D:D:D 

Can't wait - I have yet to even kill my first mob let alone trolls !!!

We've just been busy trying to build a settlement and survive ... everyday I'm almost dying from hunger, trying to make casseroles and meals that heal for 2% :*(

Haha ;)

It takes quite a few arrows to down trolls. I haven't tried with sub 50 ql arrows but 60-70 ql take 15-20 to down (depending on how many miss) for me.

15-20 arrows at 23ql for me

They do break more often at low QL tho.

Ive seen backpacks mentioned a few times, which is fine for sorting arrows; however, make sure not to actually equip the backpack. It can slow you down in fighting. At least with melee, never been entirely sure about archery.

Archery wise, especially with longbows, melee fighting is a rare concern. Longbows can attack most mobs far beyond their agro/seeking range; though, some mobs like wolves will backtrace well beyond their usual agro range.

my guys normally work with long bows on pvp matters simply because it tends to be at long range or brutally close - so by time you can use a short bow they are on top of you

for hunting though I prefer a short bow and with defense of citys short bow as well - so I just train in both

I personally only use ceder war arrows

Personally, I go medium bow, it has a pretty decent range but still works well close up. Minimum 5 tiles is still very close, so still very useful.

I hear a lot of people delving into medium bows these days after longbow accuracy nerf.

If I was to level another bow, I'd have trouble choosing tbh.

Only somewhat unrelated: Is there a shortcut or bind for the context menu for the "Shoot" or "Target Practice" commands? I really really wanted to do archery, but having to right click on my target every time I want to shoot it is a massive massive turn off, to the point where I'm not bothering with it. Thoughts?

Heh such keybinds would be awesome; however. no they do not exist.

yes I find the 'right click > Bow > Shoot'  to be very tedious and an easy fix if they could just add a keybind for shoot. I may suggest it in the suggestions.

Although it don't put me off archery :) 

Don't need a keybind for everything you know ;)

Pvp related keybinds are really nice.

But you also dont need to post in every thread if you have nothing to contribute.

@OP

Longbow is the most used because of its situations. Shortbow if you arent using a longbow.

Put arrows into bsbs for storage, barrels for training.

Edited by Propheteer