Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 13

As always, the new graphics are looking wonderful.

Much thanks to Kegan for his suggestion on the crafting window. I have (without thinking) tried to drag a tool from my toolbelt into the crafting window, so agree that this is a worthwhile change.

Thanks also to Red Baron for continuing to keep us informed of what plans are in the pipeline.

Edited by skyefox
  • Like 1

Ohhhh, I like that look on the new wall type!! :)

I also very much like the rest of the new stuff, looking forward!

Keep up the good work B)

That cobble is beautiful!  Almost brings a tear to my eye.

If the committee works as explained here, then I like it. It makes me feel like the suggestions thread will be useful at last.

As well, I am loving the new house walls. Please, oh pretty please, make more house wall types. The more the better!!!

Awesome new graphics. Accept maybe the chain link fence, it could use some more work. 

The voting I'm not sure about, I can see it go very wrong if done incorrectly. We shouldn't get to vote too often, votes should be long term, not quick votes on some PvP feature etc. You could get very strange result when hundreds of players who knows nothing about a certain mechanic votes about it in a poll.

Even so, I think voting is a cool feature, maybe even something that will earn you some new headlines in some magazines. Not many, if any online games has something like this! It could be for a good reason they don't, but still :)

Even so, I think voting is a cool feature, maybe even something that will earn you some new headlines in some magazines. Not many, if any online games has something like this! It could be for a good reason they don't, but still :)

Games like Star Conflict and others have in-game voting system, so nothing new under the sun.

Player interactions

This is an area we have been falling a bit short on and I know that many of you have opinions on how this should be done.

But let me just start of by saying that processing the amount of information that thousands of voices create is no easy task, especially when it comes to long debates around topics.

For that matter, grading the sense of urgency different topics have from your perspective.

And we want to be has fair as possible and give everyone equal attention and chance of being heard.

So in the interest of this, we are enlisting help to process the suggestions thread. And yes, a group has already gathered for this though it is still in the process of formally starting.

This will help us to get more summarized suggestions with pros and cons from a player perspective, cross kingdoms and pvp, pve standpoint.

Those enlisted will only help propagate suggestions from the forum and will not make new suggestions themselves in the group.

As suggestions will be summarized with points from everyones perspective any bias will find its balance from other parties.

The next step in this is also that we are now working on the ingame voting system, which will help us quickly get your feedback on straightforward questions and changes.

We do not have and estimated time of arrival right now.

The goal is combining these two initiatives.

We will get presented with your suggestions and can make a fair and quick judgment from the extra information on the complexity, benefit and time the suggestion would take to implement.

After reviewing a few we will know which are doable within our current time frame and we then use the ingame voting system to let you decide which among them you deem most important.

We will then keep this going and as soon as we have time to do another one we will poll you again for your next priority.

This process will of course be refined as we get into it and it will all be adapted in the interest of  making your involvement as big as possible.

We will not force it on anyone though.

YES!  Believe it or not I don't like arguing. But no way am I going to let "squeaky wheels" who's opinions I find utterly dumb and simply should not be, be allowed to steer Wurm's direction unopposed.

Hopefully the summarized suggestion posts will be publicly displayed. Also, I kind of curious about an import detail, "the devil is in the details". When something is summarized important details can be left out. Although, the devs frequently tweak the details (for whatever reasons) so that may not matter anyway.

Edited by joedobo

:o Such pretty cobbles! I'll be re-paving my whole deed!

• Like 2

Player interaction between developer and player are always key in smaller games while I am a epic player I feel like possibly a pve and pvp committee could be made this way to deal with the different aspects of the game - this would help focus the teams around a group of players with that skill sets and so they don't have to choose a pvp or a pve standpoint.

the in game vote system I believe should however be limited to premium players - not to discriminate against free players - but it seems like it would be hugely easy to make a few dozen alts on different emails to push the vote towards a single person or groups perspective - yes I know this doesn't stop it 100% but slows it at least.

when you said chain fence I had 50 things pop into my head - that was not one of them - it looks like some kinda harbor patrol device to stop ships from crossing a area - maybe 2-3 smaller chains similar to a rope fence or a single chain at the top like you see in real life.

• Like 1

YES!  Believe it or not I don't like arguing. But no way am I going to let "squeaky wheels" who's opinions I find utterly dumb and simply should not be, be allowed to steer Wurm's direction unopposed.

Hopefully the summarized suggestion posts will be publicly displayed. Also, I kind of curious about an import detail, "the devil is in the details". When something is summarized important details can be left out. Although, the devs frequently tweak the details (for whatever reasons) so that may not matter anyway.

Yeah, couple of players have done this over the years... Think Farmerbob had one tracking the roadmap/feature list and I had one that summed up threads which had active discussion weighing pros and cons of the idea.

A sample of how it could work, with links to some of the other "roll-up" threads.

::edit::

For anyone thinking about doing something like this, let me warn you now, it is a lot of effort to stay up on and even more effort to not jump into the middle of the discussions/add your own opinion/view on the topics you're monitoring/tracking.

When Farmerbob and others of us were doing these, it was (to my knowledge) without any form of direct support/authority, "staff" tag or reimbursement.

Also, that thread started as a way to get conversation started about specific things, but kind of grew into the monster it became, so part way through the thread (after someone made it a sticky) I changed they way I interacted on the topics to remove myself from the general discussion and only stepped in when needed to keep the thread clean or clarify points.

Edited by Hussars

Very much yes yes and yes!

I am sad that the dancing guards are not dancing us! But I will hang onto that!!:

But this is the most profound and far reaching development decision you have announced to date: "We will no longer be taking any suggestions through IRC. Everything will need to go through the proper channels." The rest is icing on the cake.

thank you wurm team for more exciting offerings..you have been particularly good about adding new features lately keeping us excited and hooked to the game. wtg on itmes, graphics and updates!  i'd like to see the same level of professionlism in areas of conflict resolution in the game..seems that has begun to threaten the joy of the game some..and perhaps aspects of it's viability

I love the new additions coming up. Very exciting and as always, great graphics. The white plaster walls (perhaps we should call them "plaster frames" not "timber frames" to differentiate form the other forms of wooden frames) look very cool and they will add a nice wite hue to a deed. I can't wait for the new cobblestone too. I am most excited, however, about the vines. They will make great separators, wall decorations, gazebos and add to so many rustic scenes.

Awesome work.

This is when the white-lighter comes out of me as i squeee at new aesthetically pleasing updates 

Edited by KoukiUchiyama
  • Like 1

damnit, gotta redo my house, love the timber look. Glad there will be a voting system, and i feel No players from ur secret group ya made should be heard till the voting system is done that way, wat we vote on gets decided.

Those new walls... mmmmmmm

Great job you guys, looking forward to it :)

Excellent work on the new graphics art team! It will be great to have those new paving options. Hopefully they will be simple to create in the way cobble is with stone brick. Please don't make them absurdly time consuming like slate. The more work to create and pave with them the less they will be used. Less difficulty is always better for building purposes, which is time consuming enough as it is. And hopefully keep the insane concrete creation process far, far away in some forgotten land as an additional ingredient.

Always great to see these new items to create with. As for new venues for player input, will just have to see how it works out over time. On with building the world for me!

=Ayes=

A secret, unnamed group of players whispering into Rolf's ear? That sounds vaguely familiar...

• Like 3

We will no longer be taking any suggestions through IRC. Everything will need to go through the proper channels.

Does this involve only a certain group of the staff or literally every staff member including rolf...

Ooooh I can't wait for the new walls! I hope they come out soon, I have some stables to build and those would look excellent on them!