Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 13

LSSNW13L.jpg

Hello fellow Wurmians!

Welcome to that part of the week when we do indeed try our darndest to become a more transparent company.

This week we have a mix where I would like to first talk a bit about what we are doing about player interactions.

Later I will also have the pleasure of announcing some new things which I think many of you will enjoy.

But first, let me just follow up on something from last week!

The Crafting Interface

Last week I asked for your feedback concerning further changes to the interface. I brought this to my fellow devs and to begin with, they are going to work one of these suggestions into the interface.

Kegan

photo-thumb-2271.jpg?_r=1358318200

"If we could drag tools from our toolbelt onto the crafting window that would be helpful too."

Thank you Kegan for this suggestion. It is being worked on right now and will be in one of our updates soon.

And thanks to all other Wurmians who left their feedback.

There where many great ideas which we will keep in mind though some of them would have been a bit to time consuming for the dev team right now.

Player interactions

This is an area we have been falling a bit short on and I know that many of you have opinions on how this should be done.

But let me just start of by saying that processing the amount of information that thousands of voices create is no easy task, especially when it comes to long debates around topics.

For that matter, grading the sense of urgency different topics have from your perspective.

And we want to be has fair as possible and give everyone equal attention and chance of being heard.

So in the interest of this, we are enlisting help to process the suggestions thread. And yes, a group has already gathered for this though it is still in the process of formally starting.

This will help us to get more summarized suggestions with pros and cons from a player perspective, cross kingdoms and pvp, pve standpoint.

Those enlisted will only help propagate suggestions from the forum and will not make new suggestions themselves in the group.

As suggestions will be summarized with points from everyones perspective any bias will find its balance from other parties.

The next step in this is also that we are now working on the ingame voting system, which will help us quickly get your feedback on straightforward questions and changes.

We do not have and estimated time of arrival right now.

The goal is combining these two initiatives.

We will get presented with your suggestions and can make a fair and quick judgment from the extra information on the complexity, benefit and time the suggestion would take to implement.

After reviewing a few we will know which are doable within our current time frame and we then use the ingame voting system to let you decide which among them you deem most important.

We will then keep this going and as soon as we have time to do another one we will poll you again for your next priority.

This process will of course be refined as we get into it and it will all be adapted in the interest of  making your involvement as big as possible.

We will not force it on anyone though.

We will no longer be taking any suggestions through IRC. Everything will need to go through the proper channels.

Together we can do what we all have as a common wish, and that is to make Wurm better!

Tutorial zone and new assets

As you all probably know by now, we are working on a new tutorial area.

This is not something that will only benefit the new players.

I have been hinting and showing some new assets already which has been created during the process.

These will all be available for you to create in the game with the launch of the new zone.

So let us look into what Wox and Saroman has been up to!

Wurmtutorial1S.jpg

Click the image for a larger version.

So in this image alone there are several new assets.

You will of course first notice the new wall type which goes under the name Timber Frame.

To the left you will also see the new mixed grass pile, which I think explains itself.

Lastly, in the middle, there is the vine growing on a stand against the wall which some of you might remember.

Yes, it will also be craftable and most likely implemented as a movable item you can place as you wish.

wurmchainfence.jpg

The new chain link fence, when you want the view but feel the need for that robust secure separator from a drop off only iron can provide.

cobble.jpgcobble2.jpg

cobble33.jpg

Two new types of cobble stone for more variation in the palette of road, deed and village architects alike!

So with that I would like to thank you for your time and let you

Keep on Wurming!

• Like 65

Wow... those are some beautiful new visuals!!!

Player interactions

This is an area we have been falling a bit short on and I know that many of you have opinions on how this should be done.

But let me just start of by saying that processing the amount of information that thousands of voices create is no easy task, especially when it comes to long debates around topics.

For that matter, grading the sense of urgency different topics have from your perspective.

And we want to be has fair as possible and give everyone equal attention and chance of being heard.

So in the interest of this, we are enlisting help to process the suggestions thread. And yes, a group has already gathered for this though it is still in the process of formally starting.

This will help us to get more summarized suggestions with pros and cons from a player perspective, cross kingdoms and pvp, pve standpoint.

Those enlisted will only help propagate suggestions from the forum and will not make new suggestions themselves in the group.

As suggestions will be summarized with points from everyones perspective any bias will find its balance from other parties.

The next step in this is also that we are now working on the ingame voting system, which will help us quickly get your feedback on straightforward questions and changes.

We will get presented with your suggestions and can make a fair and quick judgment from the extra information on the complexity, benefit and time the suggestion would take to implement.

After reviewing a few we will know which are doable within our current time frame and we then use the ingame voting system to let you decide which among them you deem most important.

We will then keep this going and as soon as we have time to do another one we will poll you again for your next priority.

This process will of course be refined as we get into it and it will all be adapted in the interest of  making your involvement as big as possible.

We will no longer be taking any suggestions through IRC. Everything will need to go through the proper channels.

Together we can do what we all have as a common wish, and that is to make Wurm better!

I'm very sceptic about this, and about the group of player that will "help" with the suggestions.

• Like 5

my eyes went O_O when I opened the thread.

Very nice!

• Like 1

The new cobble stones look great. I think It;d look even nicer if those cobble stone had some "tile transition" in place, so that they dont look too blocky next to one another.

Looking forward to the Vines and In-game voting system.
Great update! 

Edited by boombza

I dont know about that chait the links are huge and the anchor points are tiny, they are a bit...un- proportional

I do accept shiny bribes in lieu of forum drama :D

aw shucks.. i got an honorable mention, lol

I love the new cobble stone and the trellis looks good too... Maybe we can have all the flowers as a part of that for color variance? 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

I hope that we will finally hear someday about mentioned in December combat changes ;-)

• Like 1

Player interactions

The only mention of the vast masses there is in pve stand point, I suggest you publicly name this committee, otherwise it's just a joke perpetrated by Rolf. We saw how the pvp  group selected few managed to handle the suggestions to improve things a long time ago. This be like the wurm meeting in amsterdam when all rolf wanted to do was talk to the pvp guys and ignored pve suggestions? I want to know this is legit, not just damage control from monday ;)

• Like 5

The only mention of the vast masses there is in pve stand point, I suggest you publicly name this committee, otherwise it's just a joke perpetrated by Rolf. We saw how the pvp  group selected few managed to handle the suggestions to improve things a long time ago. This be like the wurm meeting in amsterdam when all rolf wanted to do was talk to the pvp guys and ignored pve suggestions? I want to know this is legit, not just damage control from monday ;)

I doubt that they will tell us who are in this committee, they probably would say (IF they say something at all, lips are always tight around here) that is for protecting them of us, annoying them with suggestion or some other reason like this.

But I agree that they are doing now some damage control, Wurm style of course. You just have to see that Johan started the thread quoting Kegan, clearly saying that they hear our opinions.

Edited by Alec

Might be better if we can vote on who is in this committee somehow? 

• Like 1

That white house looks like many houses in Denmark. I like it.

• Like 2

Don't forget, guys, you can already bring tools into the crafting interface from your toolbelt, via keybinds. 

Bind <key> add_to_crafting_window

Ability to drag is nice too, but there is this way working already, for those interested.

Edited by Arronicus
  • Like 3

Now we just need to be able to paint the white part of the wall but not the wood

• Like 2

#1 update: Crafting menu: good addition, can think a bit more of it.. here we go:

crafting-menu1.jpg

The normal state of crafting menu, but.. note there are three additional arrows...

crafting-menu2.jpg

On clicking the left or inventory arrow, the arrow animately rotate and bring up.. inventory! It also snap the expanded crafting menu to fit the screen if possible. Less hassle on drag drop more contents from inventory to crafting menu, no more finding inventory / crafting menu behind each others.

crafting-menu3.jpg

Oh wait.. press the right button and the crafting menu is slightly more compact... Allowing easeness to those who hate big bars covering everything while they want to create bricks while watching youtube.

crafting-menu4.jpg

I'm even go far than that on crappily editing the craft menu.. I think wox gonna rip my heart next time we met on test server D: ... Super compact mode!

#3 update: graphic updates. All looks cool and makes me droll. I saw the mixed grass piles on test client already. Can we have a campaign of testing the new tutorial zone before this fleshed out? I am for sure eagerly want to test it.. I am sure I'm very eligible for this.. ya know.. I have passed the current tutorial for more than 50 times...

#2 Player Interactions.

Let's get to the ugly part... 

Yes it does not easy.. especially wurm kingdoms play it like politic. People on kingdoms are biased, including staffs inside, including me (I am freedom mostly, but I also BL on chaos and epic, anything benefit BL, I support)... it is natural even on those who try the best to not be biased. heck.. Even freedomers can be biased, some might explicitly hate pvp players, some might think mostly of the merchants, some others think of newbies, some thinks veterans comfort..  Problem occur when a specific group protest something and devs take it as a honest feedback. While the bitter truth is, it is not always the case. 

If this is the intention, then make sure that devs acknowledge the allegiance of each members on this.. enlisted group. Maybe do a formula, something like this: one from each kingdom, for representative of freedoms, one per server. That means we got four from epic, four from chaos, and six from freedom. I also agree with pingpong, reveal the names.

If each party are really stand to their group and do theirs best on this, it might works.. or they might fight among each others and no conclusion to it. There is no need to make new suggestions to be biased, ignoring certain points can happen. I hope this not mean only popular feedbacks get through, because popular doesn't always mean fit in the game. 

The next step in this is also that we are now working on the ingame voting system, which will help us quickly get your feedback on straightforward questions and changes.

Put this into priority please, all the fancy new models can wait >_> ...

+10000. No more ninja updates.. no more godly intervetions... no more white light moving accident, no more sparta vault opened accident..

Edited by rosedragon
  • Like 3

I like the new trellises It would be nice if we could set up grape fields with them that where harvest able. and prevent the supper invasive grapes from spreading like wild fire everywhere... XD

• Like 5