Sign in to follow this  
ScarfaceRo

[NOOB ALERT] Some basic questions about priests grinding

Disclaimer: I am a noob. Even more of a noob when it comes to priesthood. So if you answer me, please do it in plain English and as easy to understand as possible, because is very likely I will not understand any abbreviations or advance stuff.

So, hearing that pretty much everyone and his dog play with at least two characters, I also made myself a second character and just priested her today (got to 30 faith) - Vynora.

Now, since most of the time I play from work and I can't really focus on more than one character (or even run more than one game instance from the work computer) it means that my priest won't receive much attention (maybe play her for one or two hours per day), but would still like to get the most of the little time investment I can commit with.

So what do you suggest should I do? I understood I should need to grind channeling and soul depth. But I have absolutely no idea how to do that. At the moment all I do with her is to prey, prey, prey.

Beer and shaworma treats are on me for everyone giving useful answers. Thanks!

Its been a while since i last used a Vynora Priest but my suggestion would be to ensure you pray 5 times a day, build a large stock of locks (or yoyo's if you have the time) then burn through them all in 1 sitting casting spells then repeat. Since priests can create but not improve the best bet is to also grind locksmithing on your priest so it can supply itself with locks to sacrifice for large favor gain.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Vynora

I am not sure what spells are best to use but Opulence seems to be the best at early channeling gain.

Depends what your goal with it and how you spend that 2 hours a day. An effective use of sleep bonus for grinding channeling for example, you probably can get 50+ channeling in a month. Faith is not that hard, just wait for an impalong and join sermon circle.

At any case, playing a priest might not be as profitable as people imagine as you will require a lot of effort to make it decent enough for income. 

Edited by rosedragon

I normally have my priest do side jobs while he waits on recharges his favor pool - farming - animal tending - and cooking - as well as brick making (not really for priest reasons just because someone has to do it) and he has done very well - then I opulence my meals for early game channel grind

A good way to grind your soul/soul depth is any of the cooking skills, so Hot food cooking, cheesemaking etc.

My faveourite method is having my priest sit and fish (also gives soul skills) then fillet the fish (yep more soul skills) then in sauce pans I make goulash (more soul skills... you can see why I like it!).

The goulash recipe is x1 fish fillet (or cooked meat filet if you have it) and 0.25kg of water (a small pottery flask full). in 1 forge I have 100 saucepans, I fill up as many as I can with that days catch and light them up.

Otherwise any skill under the Nature category will help your soul/ soul depth.

• Like 2

Keep praying. You get a skill gain in faith from praying once every 20 minutes up to a maximum of 5 times a day. Faith is like your mana pool. In this game, mana is called favor. So favor is the stuff you spend to cast spells and faith is the maximum favor you can have. At 50 faith, you will have a chance at getting gems when you finish praying, and this is how people end up with a massive collection of gems that they sell for tons of money.

Channelling:

If you want to enchant stuff, you will need channelling skill. You should probably refrain from enchanting until you are at around 50 channelling since you will get low casts or shatter items very, very often. Channelling is considered one of the hardest grinds in the game. This is how you should start:

From 1 - 10 cast bless. Bless can be cast on any item in the game but once an item is blessed, it can't be blessed again. One way to do this is to bless items that can be put into a bsb or fsb (or crate) because when you take it out again the bless will be gone. Bless takes 10 favour to cast. It takes about 2 minutes to regenerate 10 faith after draining your favor. Alternatively, you can sacrifice items to gain this mana back faster. See the section on sacrificing.

From 10 - 40 cast opulence. Opulence can only be cast on food, but the good thing is you can continually cast on the same food item over and over, even if it has the opulence enchantment on it already. Opulence also takes 10 favor to cast so regaining favor is the same as Bless. Opulence is a spell that will increase the effectiveness of the food (acts like its higher ql) and I think extends its life, but correct me if I'm wrong here. Opulence will start getting really slow around 30 channelling or so...but the only other option is to vessel which gets rather expensive. So if you have the extra coin (like gold coins coming out of your ears) then you can probably justify switching to vessel around 30, but otherwise, keep with opulence for as long as you can take it.

From 40 on (all the way to 100), cast vessel. I am not going to explain this one in full detail, but vessel can only be cast on gems. This fills the gem with favor from your current favor. You only need 7 favor to cast it and it's ideal to cast it when your favor is as close to 7 as possible. The gems will loose ql as you do this so this is where the $$ comes in.

Soul Depth:

The best way to get soul depth up is to skill up your Hot Food Cooking skill. You can do this by (you guessed it) cooking food. Follow a cooking guide on the wiki to do this and there are several videos you can watch to get a handle on filling your pans efficiently. If you are interested in committing to this, then just know that this process will probably need over 1000 pans to be filled at a time and to fill many many loads again and again.

Hope this gives you a jump start in the world of priesthood. Good luck.

• Like 2

Amazing explanation and overview

Thank you so much! I don't have a priest, nor do I aim for one atm, but I was always curious. In just under two minutes, I read, wondered, and understood a lot of the concepts. Great stuff. :)

• Like 1

I had run out of time and didn't write about sacrificing. A few other things are missing too. Maybe if there is enough demand I may write a full guide.

• Like 1

Thank you so much! I don't have a priest, nor do I aim for one atm, but I was always curious. In just under two minutes, I read, wondered, and understood a lot of the concepts. Great stuff. :)

THIS!

From 40 on (all the way to 100), cast vessel. I am not going to explain this one in full detail, but vessel can only be cast on gems. This fills the gem with favor from your current favor. You only need 7 favor to cast it and it's ideal to cast it when your favor is as close to 7 as possible. The gems will loose ql as you do this so this is where the $$ comes in.

Best to note that only freedom gets ticks on vessel, epic does not.

if you wanna grind as a priest go magranon and just cast light token GG +1 game over 4 chan won /k/

As a Vynora priest you will need as a minimum farming, fishing and rope making as support skills

Farming and fishing start as soon as possible, especially farming as this will be the basis for your favour sac items if you can get cotton to farm early on do so.

Before priesting it is better to boost body control and get a head start in rope making.

- For body control make arrow shafts and train archery on targets.

- For rope making have someone make you net traps, if you got that cotton farming going use it to make strings of cloth, you'll need a cloth tailoring tool set to improve net traps. Get a rope tool and have it made as high ql as possible. You need enough rope making to have the option to create cordage as a minimum. If you can wait push rope as high as you can bear, later on you will be glad you did. If the rope traps get too high ql

When ready priest up.

Farming and fishing both give reasonable soul depth but the king of gain in this area is hot food cooking, farming skill will let you provide veggies and fishing will get you the filets you need. You can also go out hunting for meat but this takes more effort. See the wiki guides on HFC.

So you have farming + fishing -> HFC

and

farming  + rope making -> cordage for sac

With your resources established you can now operate as a priest.

Initially do lots of prayers, your aim will be to get over 50 prayer and start getting some gems which have to be saved for later.

For casting I pretty much just did opulence until around 40 channelling occasionally dropping all the veggies I cast on back into the FSB to wipe them clean.  With farming and rope making providing cordage (which you can BSB) you can then move up in casting. I tended to use sixth sense and reveal creatures until channelling was around 55ish. After that it was woa/coc and vesselling any gems.

Vesselling is separated into under 10ql and over 10ql, under is simple, over requires effort to make sure you put the minimum favour into each cast so that you get the most vessel actions until the gem drops under 10ql.

• Like 1

A good way to grind your soul/soul depth is any of the cooking skills, so Hot food cooking, cheesemaking etc.

My faveourite method is having my priest sit and fish (also gives soul skills) then fillet the fish (yep more soul skills) then in sauce pans I make goulash (more soul skills... you can see why I like it!).

The goulash recipe is x1 fish fillet (or cooked meat filet if you have it) and 0.25kg of water (a small pottery flask full). in 1 forge I have 100 saucepans, I fill up as many as I can with that days catch and light them up.

Otherwise any skill under the Nature category will help your soul/ soul depth.

you can also the goulash to tame after which also adds more soul/soul depth so even more gain with a boost to tameing hot food cooking fishing and butchering (can't remember if filleting fish is butchering)

If you have a larger monitor and play around with the window size, you may be comfortable having two clients running at the same time.

Like many have said, the priest can do other things (grind ropes for favour, make bricks/planks, fish or just pray....simple things that don't need a lot of attention).

After going premium (can get to 30 faith while free-to-play) but before going priest, consider:

1: raising body control to at least 21 (to ride horses)

2: raising mind logic for boating

3: doing some non-priest physical labour to raise body stats (say 30-50 digging and mining if Vyn)

4: doing some basic carpentry, masonry, blacksmithing if you want to grind out resources later (say 20+ each)

Lastly three big tips to help support your priest:

1: Find some other Vyn priests...seriously, if you "link" (share favour pool) with others and take it in turns to use your sleep bonus, you will cast many more times and you will all raise channelling skills quicker.

2: Find some other Vyn people...convert your village and neighbours then hold "sermons", it will raise your faith (again they can take turns)

3: Make your main character Vyn...you can "listern" to them to restore your priest's alignment.

All that advice said - consider what works for you and go with that - no right or wrong way to raise your own priest.

• Like 1

Lots of references to Soul Depth, what about Soul Strength for us Mag types? :) And are cordage ropes used because they can be put in a bsb, or are we better off using our god's double favor item if we don't have storage issues?

2: Find some other Vyn people...convert your village and neighbours then hold "sermons", it will raise your faith (again they can take turns)

Sermons doesn't need to be same deity, just premium and any deity. Even Libila followers count on sermon.

Lots of references to Soul Depth, what about Soul Strength for us Mag types? :) And are cordage ropes used because they can be put in a bsb, or are we better off using our god's double favor item if we don't have storage issues?

SS is used for aggressive spells while SD is used for enchanting. So even a mag priest depends on SD for AoSP casts.

As for double favor items vs cordage... cordage gives the same amount of favor as a double favor item of the same ql. Ex. A 70ql door lock gives 5 favor normally and 10 favor to a mag (double favor). A 70ql cordage gives 10 favor to everyone. That said, it is much easier to get a 70ql door lock compared to a 70ql cordage with equal lock making and rope making skill. The issue is that for some deities, the double favor item is such a pain to make that it isn't worth skilling up. For example, for vyn, the double favor item is yo-yo's. Each yoyo takes a shaft and a string. You need high ql logs and high ql cotton so there you need good farming and good wood cutting. Then you need to make the shafts and strings, you need high carpentry and cloth tailoring...then you make the yoyo...you need high TOY MAKING!!!! For ropes, you just need farming and rope making. Skilling up rope making is really easy as you can just imp net traps (yes they are a pain to make, but once made, you don't need too many to make it to 70+ rope making and the skill goes up fast). This is provided you skill up rope making before you become a priest...or you do the rope making on a different toon.

• Like 1