Sign in to follow this  
hellavictus

Deed size and Minimum upkeep

I have a suggestion about the deed cost and upkeep for it.  I have found that there is a minimum upkeep cost of 1s. Now that being said when you buy a deed form it cost 10s but you can only use 7s of it for the deed size itself while the other 3s are held back for upkeep which is all well and good except the 7s is not enough to make your deed large enough to reach the minimum upkeep cost of the 1s the best you can do is a deed size 8x9 and the upkeep comes out to 64c so you are wasting 36c a month. and the closest you can get to the minimum upkeep without going over is 11x10 costing 9s66c. which means to max out your deed to your minimum upkeep cost means you will have to spend an extra 2s66c. So i have come up with the following suggestions.

1. Remove the minimum upkeep cost altogether let people make a village whatever size they wish without being penalized for not reaching the min upkeep cost.

2. Or adjust the cost per tile to found a deed so that with the 7s from the deed form cost will come out to the 1s upkeep cost.

It's like selling 5 smokeys in a pack and sausage buns in packs of 8. The intent is so that you will not take the minimum amount (1 package) without some waste, and will feel inclined to go for more.

That said, I hope they don't remove the minimum upkeep cost, or there would be a lot more tiny deeds dropped, on top of mine entrances in pvp, or around other things people would be happy to spend a very small amount of money to protect. 

Deeds are settlements afterall, so I think it's only reasonable, that there should be some tiny penalty, like there is now, for having a really tiny settlement. Encourage people to build villages, not just deed every little house =) Fine as is.

-1.  Upkeep used to be based on a tile to tile ratio, and never set at 1s minimum.  This was nice and all as a new player to the game, but over time I'm glad they set the 1s base upkeep.  Too many players drop deeds and never return to them, just for the purpose of griefing others.  At least this way their upkeep can run out before the year 2140.

So its ok to punish the new people to protect those that have the money and care less about the upkeep cost. And the penalty may be tiny to you but its not to everyone and when the cost for founding your settlement is the same as buying game time and REAL money can be used to buy the money used in the game a waste of in game money is a waste of real money and that is not right. 

yes but not all coins is used up in the intial creation of a deed - normally only 3-4S and the rest is used in upkeep for 5-6months for small deeds with no templars

also would remove most of the income of the game so -1

So its ok to punish the new people to protect those that have the money and care less about the upkeep cost. And the penalty may be tiny to you but its not to everyone and when the cost for founding your settlement is the same as buying game time and REAL money can be used to buy the money used in the game a waste of in game money is a waste of real money and that is not right. 

Your first mistake is having a victim mentality.  Take a moment to read your first sentence.  "So its ok to punish the new people..."  How is it that you believe the dev team is out to punish you?  Not only do they not know you, they also put a lot of time and effort into keeping new players around.  If you honestly believe you're being punished for something, you need to take a moment to ask yourself what you did to deserve punishment.  If the answer is nothing, then you know you've made a mistake in your judgment of the situation.

Your second mistake is assuming that I have money and care less about how much upkeep costs me.  I'm not rich.  I work two jobs to pay the bills and some times I have left over spending money that I can toss into Wurm, or use to go out to eat, or do whatever I please with.  Assuming that I'm wealthy just because I find the current upkeep mechanics suitable, is ridiculous.

If this game upsets you THAT much, then I'd suggest finding another super awesome in-depth sandbox game that suits your needs.

PS.  Just so we're clear, the dev team never said you must pay to play Wurm or enjoy your experience; just something to think about.

• Like 2

Your first mistake is having a victim mentality.  Take a moment to read your first sentence.  "So its ok to punish the new people..."  How is it that you believe the dev team is out to punish you?  Not only do they not know you, they also put a lot of time and effort into keeping new players around.  If you honestly believe you're being punished for something, you need to take a moment to ask yourself what you did to deserve punishment.  If the answer is nothing, then you know you've made a mistake in your judgment of the situation.

Your second mistake is assuming that I have money and care less about how much upkeep costs me.  I'm not rich.  I work two jobs to pay the bills and some times I have left over spending money that I can toss into Wurm, or use to go out to eat, or do whatever I please with.  Assuming that I'm wealthy just because I find the current upkeep mechanics suitable, is ridiculous.

If this game upsets you THAT much, then I'd suggest finding another super awesome in-depth sandbox game that suits your needs.

PS.  Just so we're clear, the dev team never said you must pay to play Wurm or enjoy your experience; just something to think about.

Sorry i didnt mean that in the way you took it. I am however sorry about my overreaction i am a very proud and passionate person and i let me emotion run away with me to that end please forgive my outburst. Also my friend reminded me that with the hiring of a guard the minimum upkeep is a moot point anyway. 

Edited by hellavictus

Sorry i didnt mean that in the way you took it. I am however sorry about my overreaction i am a very proud and passionate person and i let me emotion run away with me to that end please forgive my outburst. Also my friend reminded me that with the hiring of a guard the minimum upkeep is a moot point anyway. 

Your friend is correct.  Just try not to see the dev's as "punishing" you, or anyone for that matter.  Their job is to create and update this game in a way that makes the players happy and continues to grow the player base.  They do not deal in punishment. lol

It's a question of balance really..

For every 1 player that would simply use this to make their primary deed smaller, there are a lot more willing to drop "micro" deeds all over the place for various reasons.  On a PVP server, there are ways to deal with this behavior that eventually results in the removal of the deed by draining the upkeep.  On a PVE server, this is not an option due to the nature of the gameplay.

There are also support systems in place (specifically templars) which are based on the deed center (not the actual token location - long story don't ask lol), as well as the buffer zones ("Free" perimeter titles) each deed gets.

There are likely more than a few ways to address these portions within the code, but the human element would still have the biggest impact.