Sign in to follow this  
Trepper

Ability to lower sails

Boats can move rather quickly makeing them very difficult to nearly imposible to dock (made worse if you have any kind of lag).  If we could be allowed to lower sails and then only move the ships with rowing speed would allow us to slowly manuver through tunnels and harbors to dock the ship.  Players that like and have computer and internet connections that make it easy to dock now in high winds culd still do so.  How ever many players dont use ships because of this problem and by letting them lower sails to amnuver in tight areas would make ships usable by them as well. 

• Like 22

+1

doesn't seem like it would be to terrible also would fix those sailing against the wind times can lower sails and row away

+1

I would also like to see the ability to move around on ships and place bsbs/ lead animals around on deck and hobble them. So you are not stuck just as a boat instead of a person that would make sailing much more popular along with this.

would be cool addition to come with the boat textures

+1

This could improve ship maneuvering in smaller harbors.

The ability to lower/raise the sails with some time delay would enhance sailing ship races , more options,  more chance to make a mistake :)

Edited by zorako

+1. Just so my husband will stop making fun of my horrible docking of the knarr (that is when he doesn't just think I have raised extra tiles, and tells me to move the knarr before I raise land next time).

Like the idea. It also should require a minimum amount of crew onboard to lower the sails.  IRL It's not as easy as just switching the rigging and letting it go. It's as much of a fight up as it is down especially in heavy winds.

+1, though with a timer of course, and a fairly slow rowing speed. I don't have this issue myself, but I've heard many people struggle with it, and can see their frustrations.

+1 but honestly I think boat movement needs revised overall, sail system included.

Edited by Kristoff

+1

Great idea, that is exactly why I don't use the boats. 

Absolutely splendid idea. Not only would this make boats more maneuverable at low speeds in harsh winds, but would add another experience to sailing altogether. Sails up and sails down has always been one of the most important actions in sailing.

+1

Edited by Valdor

+1 I still support the idea of being able to change a ships speed. below is my post from a previous tread about this, 

15 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

Raising and lowering sails could be useful for regulating speed in high winds. There is nothing worse that trying to bring a Cog into dock at 25km/h+. Adjusting sails for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full sail to allow the pilot to navigate easier. 

You technically have 2 speeds in a ship or boat (wind controlled and wind controlled + rowing) but they really don't help when you're trying to perform a tricky maneuver with a strong wind blowing you along. Docking is one thing but more annoying are running slightly misaligned entering a canal and sticking your cog halfway up a cliff or navigating through an winding unlit tunnel at full tilt. Yes, I'm looking at you Collosus Snake Canal   <_< 

For the love of Vynora can the devs please look into giving boats some love.