Sign in to follow this  
Roame

Wurm in Time-Lapse

Wurm is often best appreciated in fast-forward. I find that time-lapses are the best way to describe the game to people who have not heard of it, as they demonstrate the effort and scope of what you can achieve in Wurm. This topic is a place to share time-lapses and discuss their creation.

How to make a time-lapse:

(1) Enter timelapse x into the console to take a screenshot every x seconds automatically. I recommend doing this on a secondary client so you can still play on your primary.

(2) When you wish to end the time-lapse, enter timelapse in the console to stop the process.

(3) Find a video editor capable of importing an image sequence (I use HitFilm 2). This will convert your many screenshots into an editable video.

(4) Edit, export and upload your video.

My latest video:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP4F9rc98A0&hd=1

Building Beacon (playlist)

Previous videos (playlist)

Edited by Roame
  • Like 18

That pig.

We call him Destiny, because earlier we were talking about how nice it would be to have a pig for taming, then he found us.

Touching, I know.

• Like 2

will the timelapse still go on even if the second char minimized?

will the timelapse still go on even if the second char minimized?

NOT if it's minimised, but it will if it's simply in the background. I had my "camera client" simply sitting underneath my "player client" for the surface mining time-lapse.

I also had the screenshot output folder on my second monitor and watched them tick in, just so I knew it was working.

best is to keep climbing on in steeper slopes until it gets lower, gaining stamina back and forward can get tiring ;P

+1 for timelapse video altough, wurm has been made for time-lapse videos.

This makes me want to do my own timelapse with 3 miners going hehe. I'd do a tunnel, but as fast as it'd progress, I'm afraid it would be boring. Perhaps a surface project too! 

+1

best is to keep climbing on in steeper slopes until it gets lower, gaining stamina back and forward can get tiring ;P

+1 for timelapse video altough, wurm has been made for time-lapse videos.

keep climbing on you wont get skillgain :P

Makes me want to do a time lapse of the farm I'm working on. Pity I don't have a laptop capable of running 2 clients due to the "improvements" in wurm.

• Like 1

Makes me want to do a time lapse of the farm I'm working on. Pity I don't have a laptop capable of running 2 clients due to the "improvements" in wurm.

It may be doable after all. Only your "film client" needs to look pretty, and even then it only needs to run at 1 frame per second when not in focus (there's a setting for that somewhere). Your "play client" might still be able to look half decent, too.

Our canal is getting along well. Unfortunately work has split our play time for a few days, so there are large gaps of progress that won't show up in the time-lapse. I still plan on time-lapsing it through to completion, though.

Finally got time to upload this!

[media]http://youtu.be/LMjq58XOtmQ

Boombza's canal is now complete. Next up, I plan on recording the entirety of making my deed from scratch...

Edited by Roame

Nice one!

I wanted to do somthing similar in past but don't have powerful enough machine to do it on good settings and my mere crafting settings would make look Wurm bad. I did one timelapse RL 2 months ago, if anyone wants to see it there is a link.

Awesome quality time-lapses.

Keep them up, love seeing new ones!

Out of curiosity, how many screenshots were used for the easter impalong?

In total,

Out of curiosity, how many screenshots were used for the easter impalong?

In total, 13241.

At a speed of timelapse 3, that works out at about 11 hours of footage(?). Though much of it wasn't used in the video, such as a much longer shot of the workshop.

BONUS CLIP: "Song de la Impalong"

Edited by Roame

nice.

question. what time interval do you use for your vids? 30 seconds? one minute?

would take some of the guesswork out of the equation for people who want to do this.

this should be stickied,  imho. good publicity for wurm.

Most of them are "timelapse 3" / one frame every 3 seconds. I think I used timelapse 5 for the Impalong video.

I'd actually like some feedback on this. Are the terraforming videos a little too slow? I was thinking about speeding them up come time for the deed series.

Thanks for the encouraging words. :)

These are the best way to show off a lot of the slow paced things that are great about wurm nice to see some good quality ones on YouTube.