Sign in to follow this  
DrewDragon

So called thieft DrewDragon

i left my cog unlocked along time ago on indy and it was stolen. fortunately i caught them before they got too far. whos fault? mine.

You should come to Epic, where everything is fair game if you leave your boats unlocked for example.

It's ironic that the cluster named "Freedom" actually has the least freedom.

Thievery and murder is 'freedom'?

Strange take on the concept, I'll give you that.

If that's the case and you live in a western country where such things aren't tolerated, perhaps you'd have more 'freedom' if you moved to somewhere... less developed. :)

If that's the case and you live in a western country where such things aren't tolerated, perhaps you'd have more 'freedom' if you moved to somewhere... less developed. :)

It's more of the if someone attempts to mess around with your deed you are capable of running them down. I've experienced significantly less conflict on Chaos in that regard.

• Like 1

Wait, im going to solve this entire problem, as this post is still going on. I think ill lay this one out in childrens book format.

Drew took a Rowboat for a ride.

It was the owners responsibity to moor the boat.

Drew returned the boat intact without any harm.

The owner cries theft.

The owner spreads the guy is a theif.

Players begin to start harrassing the player.

This is a One on One problem. If the Owner and the Player can not solve a problem, you bring in a moderator. We call these moderators GM's. As a police officer would say, this is a civil matter, and you would need to file a report.

This is like having a enclosure, with a house in the middle, with a enchanted tool on the floor. Yet the gate and door was unlocked.

As to every post i make in these matters, there is always someone who feels that i am wrong. I am use to this.

Valid Points: Owners Responsiblity to Moor and Lock his boat

Player granted should not bother what is not his/hers.

Edited by Tekada
  • Like 2

It always surprises me how much people assume every newbie should know every single rule out there from the bat. Especially when those same people complain about how the game barely has any documentation, blame the devs for lack of it, and complain that they have to figure out everything for them self.

Making all these RL comparisons is a bit silly as well. Not only is it just a game, but.. well, using those examples, see wurm as a different country. A different country has different rules then the one you originate from. It will take some time to get used to them when you just arrived. Different customs, different rules, different language, different morals, heck, even the chinese food is different per country!

In the end it is just a game and comparing ingame pvp and theft with real life murder and theft is like saying to your 8 year old son that fighting with his action figures is not allowed since it is bad and illegal.

A new player will make mistakes. I dont know the entire ins and outs of this particular story so Ill stay out of this particular case. All I can say is: Come visit us on Epic! I am sure the deed I belong to has a nice spot available for you! Heck, you can even use one of my many stolen boats  :)

Edited by Viti
  • Like 2

You realise you're talking about a video game right? It isn't "Thievery and murder", you make it out like the people doing this kind of thing are depraved sociopaths. Simulated violence =/= real violence.

• Like 2

We have a virtual society, and virtual justice was meted out in response to a virtual crime as our alliance dictated.

3523125-6331205480-Deal_.jpg

• Like 2

You realise you're talking about a video game right? It isn't "Thievery and murder", you make it out like the people doing this kind of thing are depraved sociopaths. Simulated violence =/= real violence.

Actually the people who enjoy doing such things as thievery or murder for recreation, may indeed BE budding depraved sociopaths. It's simply safer to get such urges out in a simulated fashion where your intended victims can't open up a world of hurt on you. I was just discussing this today with a bunch of people, and the general consensus was that how much more (exponentially so) the hardcore PVP crowd (in any game) seems to be vs the casual gamer or PVEr. This is an observation over a dozen years or so. People that really, really, really enjoy 'killing' other players, seem to be more than a little off kilter upstairs.

There, that just opened up a big can o' worms now didn't it, which I'm sure every budding sociopath will now have to step forward and defend. ;)

Perverse or depraved behavior isn't made less so by the fact that you are doing it in a simulated fashion. Especially when there's a real world financial loss tied to such activities. If there is a bug or an exploit that allows someone to take 10 silver out of a chest I have on my deed, even though it was SUPPOSED to be protected, then I'm just SOL out of something which cost me real world cash, and which I did everything in my power to protect. (Yes, it could be banked, that's not the point this is just for sake of example.) This, is actual THEFT. Not simulated or pretend, or make believe theft. I paid cash for something, and you just stole it from me. Theft. Now, for those that like this sort of thing,  if it's consensual behavior, such as on PVP servers, fine. Such behavior is NOT consensual on PVE servers.

People fear two things. Punishment and being put in a hurt-locker. Take away those two things, fear of punishment and threat of being put in a possible hurt locker if your victim turns out to be more bad-arsed than you are, and you simply promote and ENABLE such behavior. By your logic a game with, for sake of example, animated nude children isn't REALLY wrong, because hey, it's only a game right? I think everyone can agree that such a thing is very, very, VERY wrong, regardless of whether it's 'just a game' or not. It's the mindset here that's twisted and you can justify anything if you dress it up as 'only a game'.

But back to the OP this isn't some innocent little newb mistake. The guy took the boat then tried to ransom it back to the owner, then hid the stolen goods.

Though honestly, I think the problem is that in 2014 we have an entire generation of pampered pansies who have never had the life changing experience of actually getting their butts kicked in order to change their perspective on things. Heck, traditionally people in grade school figure these things out. We now have college aged people who have never even been in a fistfight in their lives. These are the people who are doing this, and who have these seriously skewed viewpoints on right and wrong.

The reason people treat other people well, is that some point in their lives they have been treated NOT well, and didn't like it one little bit. Thus, they learn to respect others and other people's things. Again we have an entire generation at least, of people who have had mommy save them from every little thing, and they never learned what it means to respect others.

It's like I always say: Save a life... kick someone's ass for them. The life you save may be your own or someone you love. :)

Edited by Belrindor
  • Like 1

Actually the people who enjoy doing such things as thievery or murder for recreation, may indeed BE budding depraved sociopaths. It's simply safer to get such urges out in a simulated fashion where your intended victims can't open up a world of hurt on you. I was just discussing this today with a bunch of people, and the general consensus was that how much more (exponentially so) the hardcore PVP crowd (in any game) seems to be vs the casual gamer or PVEr. This is an observation over a dozen years or so. People that really, really, really enjoy 'killing' other players, seem to be more than a little off kilter upstairs.

This claim is completely removed from reality and based off emotion and ignorance. Please don't spout nonsense like this.

Killing someone or stealing from them in a video game is not even close to committing an actual act of murder or theft, regardless of the time/money you spent on the thing they stole. If they'd abused an exploit in the game mechanics or broken some actual rules there might be a case for this being some sort of "real" theft but taking unlocked boats just floating in the water is pretty weak-sauce. I say if you're negligent enough to not lock your boat around other unknown players then you deserve to have it stolen.

• Like 1

what is this thread and why have I lost the ability to perceive, taste and think having read it.

It makes the forum look dumb, and all of us (including myself) dumb for commenting.

I believe the thread has run its course. It will only continue to go downhill, so I will just stop it right here.

*Click*

• Like 3