Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Keybind simplification tool

Tool basic use and description

This is a tool to simplify keybinds. Its function is essentially to use the last keybind. Python does the following: scanning Event logs, looking for key phrases to identify a keybind, and writing a Wurm recognizable keybind line to interact.txt (you put this in your Wurm config file). An example from my interact.txt file is: bind F SOW.

You execute this file with Wurms exec keybind utility. Here is mine: bind Shift+F "exec interact.txt".

Here is a Wurm wiki page with more information about "exec": http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Quickswitch_hotkeys

To put it another way, you do an action with mouse and menues. Python sees the line in the event log file and writes the appropriate keybind to interact.txt. Then, you hit your keybind to do exec interact.txt and your "f"-key will now do whatever it is you just did with the menu.

About the Tool and how to get it

This isn't a bundled exe file you can just install or execute. When your all done all you need to do is double click the InteractWO.py file. Some people will probably be weary about this but all the code is there on Pastebin. The script probably could use some improvements. I'm not that skilled of a coder so moving it from a script to multi-platform programs isn't something I've looked into. I pretty much made it for myself and it works. Making sure it works on other operating system isn't something I spent any time on.

You'll need Python 3.3 ( InteractWO uses modules: csv, re, os.path, time, datetime. All are standard ones included with Python distributions so you shouldn't have to do anything other then download and install Python 3.3)

The program expects to find a folder in you User directory called "InteractWO". In my case that is: C:\Users\Jack\InteractWO. If it doesn't find things where it expects them it will probably break.

Inside this folder you need:

1) InteractWO.py .................. PasteBin => http://pastebin.com/XbFRG6Ne

2) KeyWords.csv ..................  PasteBin => http://pastebin.com/W0ujqTkc

3) file_paths.txt .................. You need to create this.

My file_paths.txt looks like this:

wurm_log_path,C:\Users\Jack\Documents\wurm\players\joedobo\logs\

config_path,C:\Users\Jack\Documents\wurm\configs\default\

In the configs folder which "config_path" points to you need to put the file(it can be blank):  interact.txt

I give anyone permission to use this in anyway they see fit. I'm hoping someone can improve it.

Questions?

So basically what this does, is that it binds all your keys with one bind?
To be honest I just don't see a point to use this. Once I've setup my keybinds, i'll never have to bind anything again. If there are multiple actions I need at times, but just can't find or just don't need the key for them that much, I just bind it to space and use it while I need and then I bind the next action, and the next action and so on.

If this were a simple executable or even a package file which you just unpack, maybe. But installing this and doing that in this and that folder just isn't worth it. If it were in a fairly easy GUI, choose key, choose action, done, then yes, but then again maybe.

i'm not good at remembering lots of key binds. I kinda new the installing and lack of a GUI - lack of polish finished product - would be an issue. I still want to share it anyway.

Nice python skills there man ;) Good and clean code.

skills...well coping other peoples work although a lot of Python seem to be like that. Pycharm helps out tremendously pointing out formating blunders.