Sign in to follow this  
Radni

Poll for all of wurm players.( new polls )

Poll  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Should all effort of the devs( that this applies to) be put into fixing the memory leak/other bugs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Increased development to fixing the memory leak/performance
    • Increased development to fixing bugs

This thread asks a question of all wurmians.

Would you like to see development on "game" things ( I.E bridges, etc etc ) put Partially on hold/ down on the list and as much focus as the devs can allocate into a giant focus of destroying the memory leaks/bugs that cause bad performance?

New poll options

Edited by Radni

Stop adding in more things and fix what we already have. There are hundreds of missing models, broken mechanics, bad textures you name it.

Edited by Redd
  • Like 2

Voted no under the theory that the client devs work on the client while other devs do other projects and memory leak and performance sounds clientside.

Hence fixing the client bugs should not interfere with game development adding new things.... I think.

Edited by Elen
  • Like 2

Voted no for the sheer fact that I've been waiting for Bridges as long as I've been playing, with others waiting much longer than me, and Sheep we still don't have among other things :(

• Like 1

I voted no i would rather them do both like one session work on new things one work on bug fixes. There is not many things that are wrong with my gameplay i can run three clients at a time just fine and i guess i don't do whatever the other things are that are "bugged"..idk 

Edited by Kegan

not ALL effort, maybe some for the most annoying ones ;)

It is fine as it is atm. At least in my opinion.

No, because eliminating all bugs and performance issues across the board is a Sisyphean task.

Do as Buddha and walk the middle path. Balance out new content with fixes.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson
  • Like 1

Voted no simply because the dev team should, if it's not already, be split into two groups. One that fixes the bugs/problems that the other causes by creating new things. Keep bringing new things into the game, the stuff they have done so far is incredible.

Should add a couple more options: c) Increase resources towards fixing performance  d) Increase resources towards fixing bugs

I don't feel that development of new features should completely stop before all of the bugs have been fixed and all performance has been optimized. This is because fixing all the bug and optimizing is a never ending process. I do, however, agree that more of the dev's focus should be on optimizing performance whereas I am quite happy at the rate that bugs are being fixed. I personally still play with glsl shaders off to increase performance and I feel that this hugely impacts the way the game looks, specifically when looking at water. It's silly that I have to explain to friends that watch me play that the water doesn't normally look like this but I made it look like this to increase the performance of the game. They inevitably follow by commenting on how the graphics aren't that great to cause such performance loss...

Edited by McGarnicle
  • Like 1

Should be split, as it is currently. Just depends on the day, and what they feel needs done.

Personally, I've never really experienced a actual "bug" and I've ran 4-5 clients for hours on end.

Now, I'd you mean "bug" as in some of the weird and confusing systems in the game... That would help.

But I'd rather see them continue updating while also fixing bugs. If it's anything like I'd imagine, they probably work on things when they've got the idea, and the resources, otherwise they probably work on the current game.

I dont think all effort should go into bug fixing, but the memory leak is a really really annoying thing and affects us all and is the one and only bug that I really cant go around and annoys me immensely. I think fixing the memory leak / travel lag / however you want to call it should be top priority, after that, it should be balanced out a bit. :)

I dont know if it is actually a memory leak, but if you have been online for a prolonged period and/or travelled a long time, you will experience freezes every 5 seconds that persists till you relog. We usually call this the memory leak bug, if it is actually a memory leak, I dont know, but there is definately something that happens after long travel or being online prolonged time. It builds up from "manageable" to "cope able" to "downright non playable till relog".  It builds up faster for people living in heavy built / busy local, and can also trigger almost instantly when you traveled a long while and then enter a busy area. It is not that the busy area simply "is too much" cause a relog fixes this issue right away.

Edited by Viti

A No! to this poll. The Dev's are more informed and capable of prioritizing the games development than players not part of this process, which in turn have their own particular bias as to what aspects they would wish to see implemented in what order. I much prefer to leave these priorities in the Dev's capable, informed and coordinated control. 

=Ayes=

• Like 3

Is there really a memory leak ? -_-

Yup.

Having more ram doesn't stop it either, only means you have a little bit longer before you crash

Hi,

I see no proof of a memory leak here, but I see very poor performance, esp. lighting errors all over the place, plus some of the age old bugs returning (load a cart from a pile, you'll see).

I'm after bridges as much as anyone of you, but - let's be honest:

Wouldn't it be best if the devs (and I mean all compartments of them!) would announce a "Quarter Year of Consolidation"?

The gfx guys have introduced textures far from optimized. The client guys have broken the lighting. Rolf is coding and coding for the few remaining PvP ppl, and ignores the awfully silly spawns on the PvE servers, as well as the bad experience any newcomer will hit as soon as it leaves the tutorial. The audio team seems to be still wondering why the "mooing" of the cows went wrong, I assume.

What we need now, in my humble opinion, is consolidation. Weeding out the bugs, refining, improving and finishing what's already in game!

No more new fancy stuff until the old stuff isn't finished! A Wurmian Spring Cleaning, NOW, PLZ!

Thx for reading, may you have a good time!

Voted no, because some members of the dev team likely specialize in art, or design, and they should stay on what they're adept at. You don't make a stone mason do the plumbing in a house, when construction of that house is coming along slow. 

However, for those of the devs who are fully knowledgeable and proficient at dealing with memory leaks, and bugs, yes, it would be nice if there was far more of a focus on some of the more particularly bad bugs, like carts ejecting passengers going through doorways, or throwing them off the roof. 

We talking ALL of the devs?

Cause I want bridges more... I have plenty of memory to leak.

Edited by Klaa

Note how the "devs(this applies to)" thing is on the poll, ;P I'm not asking the art guys to hunt down bugs, I'm asking the coders etc to close buggy loopholes and polish the coding a bit, the memory leak is horrible.

You get a 10-15 vrs 10-15 and people are crashing/lagging out, forced to relog etc.

The #1 rule in pvp half the time seems to be " have another client window open Incase you crash"

Fixing the memory leak would directly cause me to spend more time in wurm. I cant count the number of tumes ive logged for the night just because of it.

Note how the "devs(this applies to)" thing is on the poll, ;P I'm not asking the art guys to hunt down bugs, I'm asking the coders etc to close buggy loopholes and polish the coding a bit, the memory leak is horrible.

You get a 10-15 vrs 10-15 and people are crashing/lagging out, forced to relog etc.

The #1 rule in pvp half the time seems to be " have another client window open Incase you crash"

Wait, seriously someone thought that you meant to put the art guys to coding?

I agree with last statement... why concentrate on 1 area. THe wurm team should be split up so both can be worked on, as there will always be new and old bug and performance problems... as well as keeping up with Jones "so to speak", meaning updates to keep the game evolving, as life evolves.

voted no..I like a mix of both and I'm sure the Dev Team are allocating time on bugs,

• Like 1