Sign in to follow this  
Tekari

Yoyos - Vynoras sacrificial item needs a fix

Hello Devs and fellow Wurmians,

after all the love the Libilan sacrificial items get (which is good and long waited for) I think it's time again to remind everyone that the yoyos are still

messed up.

To make a yoyo you need a 1kg shaft and 0.2kg of string. When created you have a yoyo of 0,1kg and a wood scrap of 0,1kg.

A whole 0,8kg of shaft magically disappear into nothingness.

Now let's take a look at the whole process for a minute:

You cut a tree and turn it into ~7 logs of 24kg each. Now you turn those into ~84 shafts of 1kg each. Make those into yoyos and you have 84 yoyos of 0,1kg each.

That's 8,4kgs of yoyos made from 168kgs of wood. You lose 159,6 kgs of wood.

That's crazy enough... but if you compare it to other sacrificial items like locks it gets even worse.

A yoyo is a useless fun item. So you have to grind a fun but useless skill to make them.

But you can't just start right away... No... you first have to plant cotton fields, wait a few days and then turn the cotton into strings.

Only then you can start to make your sacrificial item for your loved goddess.

For Magranons locks you pick your pickaxe, mine some iron and turn it into a lock using a very useful skill which everybody needs to secure their belongings.

Tl;dr Version: Yoyos take a lot of ressources and a useless skill to get the same benefits like other priests get for a fraction of their time/effort.

Edit: Just to clarify... I don't want the sacrificial item of Vynora to be changed... I only want Yoyos to be fixed so it doesn't use a whole shaft to make one yoyo.

Edited by Tekari
  • Like 3

TBH yoyos themselves, even without the bug, are bad. Spamming locks/ropes is so much easier that the x2 multiplier is meaningless.

I think they could use some kind of buff like body parts got for lib.

+1, as i am gathering the resources for Yoyos. and thinking if it is worth it or just go with door locks xD

atm it's definitely door locks... but hope never dies :)

Don't know why people say yoyos are bad at favour. I can pump out a barrel of 70-80QL yoyos in like 20 minutes with no shafts/strings pre-made. With them pre-made, well, it's fast lol.

If anything, just make yoyos use only .1kg of each shaft (no woodscraps) - that would help tremendously to balance it out.

For what it's worth, this is coming from someone who has grinded 80-90 Toymaking, Cloth Tailoring, Carpentry, Woodcutting, etc, with a 90 Farmer in the village.

Edited by Xallo

I'm with Xallo (although no way I can pump out 100 yoyos (of 70-80QL) in 20 minutes with nothing pre-made, with same if not higher skills) on this, I think making the yoyos consume just 0.10kg of shaft should make it much better than it currently is.

It'd also compensate for the multiple skills affecting the QL of yoyos (woodcutting for log QL, carpentry for shafts, farming for cotton, cloth tailoring for strings, and then toymaking for the actual yoyo) in my opinion, as it is now you'll end up burning through quite some logs when spamming yoyos, more so if you only use a certain QL shafts minimum.

Besides that, I don't really see an issue with yoyos (although I prefer cordage spamming personally, mostly because bulk wemp is easier to get for me than bulk logs of high QL on a regular base).

Edited by Raamkozijn

That's exactly what I want too... We just need a fix so you can make 5 to 10 yoyos out of one shaft. I wouldn't mind the extra steps if I wouldn't have to clear half a forest.

• Like 1

+1 fix that shaft already....  our of 1 shaft could be make 10 yoyos not 1 lol

At the very least, we should get 0.9kg of wood scrap if it is going to use 1kg shaft to make a 0.1kg yoyo.

However, I think Yo-Yo are balanced with Locks as sacrificial items in terms of materials required. I have a mag priest, and a vyn priest, just for reference, both are active premium accounts. Locks, yes, it's easier to make them, and you can sacrifice all the locks that weren't useful while trying to make high QL locks to sell or for your doors, but high QL iron is not a renewable resource. You can only make so many locks, before you deplete your area, and will have to go further, and further. A busy vyn priest using locks would deplete many iron veins. For yo-yos however, the wood, and string are both easily grown. Sure, it can take a while to get that initial batch, but with a small tree farm and small cotton farm, you will never have to go further and further the same way as if you were sacrificing many door locks.

Not to mention sheets of cloth, which require cotton too, for Fo, require growing time that you complain about.

+1 to fixing the wood silliness with 1kg shaft, 0.1 kg yoyo
+1 to fixing string so combined lumps of string dont get used all at once
-1 to changing Vyn's favour item to something else

Edited by Arronicus
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, this is coming from someone who has grinded 80-90 Toymaking, Cloth Tailoring, Carpentry, Woodcutting, etc, with a 90 Farmer in the village.

I think that might be the point.

5 needed skills compared to mining/lock smithing for locks, or farming/cloth tailoring for pieces of cloth.

Was just having this discussion yesterday whilst knocking out a ton of cordage, door locks and cloth pieces with next to no effort and immediately discarding any notion of bothering with yo-yo's at all. 

+1

but there can be another approach:
Let yoyo making increase the soul depth slightly and people will make them...

Unless it was changed back again, this has already been changed so it takes 0.20kg of string (1 unit) of cloth per  yoyo from a combined stack. Has been that way for at least several month (I honestly don't recall since when exactly but quite a while iirc).

Agreed with the locks being "limited" in terms of raw material. I wouldn't even dare making doorlocks as I'm (maybe too) cautious with using iron as it theoretically will deplete completely eventually :P

Agreed with Vyn's bonus item not being changed to something else (or favor value being tweaked or anything), yoyos work well enough. Just that shaft consumption mentioned before wouldn't hurt a bit of tweaking imo.

• Like 1

Tbh it uses a extremely low amount of resources. The other main choice is cordage ropes, which eat through thousands of wemp very quickly.

As it stands, you want to spend a bit more time, less resources - Yoyo's

A lot less time, but massive resources - cordage

Which is probably how it should be. However it would be nice for them to fix Yoyo's, it's not really "awful" as it stands.

+1 to fixing the wood silliness with 1kg shaft, 0.1 kg yoyo

I agree with this fully. If this change were to happen I would use yoyo's for my vyn over than locks.

The only issue is that rope making seems to be far easier than either of these since you only need to farm one renewable resource and do one action to make an cordage, which has double the favor than door locks. In addition, cordage can be stored in bsbs which is a plus in my books.

The only issue is that rope making seems to be far easier than either of these since you only need to farm one renewable resource and do one action to make an cordage, which has double the favor than door locks.

Mind you however, cordage ropes have a significantly higher difficulty to it, meaning average QL output is also much lower. At 90 Ropemaking using a 90QL rope tool, the succes chance for cordage is 90%. Of course it's compensated by the fact that cordage gives the same favor to all (White Light) priests as their respective bonus favor items though.

... but high QL iron is not a renewable resource. You can only make so many locks, before you deplete your area, and will have to go further, and further.

This is not true. Metal veins are renewable resources too. It is just bit more random.

When you have cave in inside mine, there is little chance it will spawn something else than only stone tile. In my 2 years wurm history I had 2 iron veins cave ins, 1 copper, 1 silver and 1 slate. I even produced once tin vein by casting Strongwall.

Organize your mine as dense grid of corridors and walls and you have high chance for cave ins. There is little chance some of them will produce new metal vein for you. That was bit offtopic, sorry.

+1 for less hungry yoyos

Mind you however, cordage ropes have a significantly higher difficulty to it, meaning average QL output is also much lower. At 90 Ropemaking using a 90QL rope tool, the succes chance for cordage is 90%. Of course it's compensated by the fact that cordage gives the same favor to all (White Light) priests as their respective bonus favor items though.

In addition, rope making skill is far easier to level up compared to lock making since you can imp net traps for rope making whereas lock making is a creation only skill. Not to mention yo-yo's where you have to skill up 5 separate skills to really high level for it to be effective (farming, woodcutting, carpentry, cloth tailoring, toy making). Both rope making and locks require only 2 skills.

or to compensate all the extra steps - make 5 yoyos out of the shaft / string of cloth in one action - random QL as the filleting do (butchering skill / knife QL included).