Sign in to follow this  
Kammerz

Improving experience for Newbies

After hours of confusion and the 101 questions in the help channel, I have found that better use of in-game missions or tutorials would benefit all new players and also increase activity / revenue for Wurm Online.

I am on my 3rd day and without having took the initiative to seek a helper - I would have not gotten very far with Wurm and possibly uninstalled it after the first few hours. 

The tutorial is alright but I'd advise possible links to video tutorials of the mini-missions within the tutorial... after seeing many people doing the tutorial with me and not getting through doors as they have not fulfilled the pre-requisites. (I'm guessing you lose 90% of newcomers just through not being clear enough on the first tutorial section)

This game has way more potential than Minecraft / Second Life & other sandbox MMO's yet it lags horribly behind them all in terms of users and premium players. I've never seen a game so great with only a few thousand online, it's really astonishing!

So with all that criticism said, I would like to see more done in the tutorial, i.e. Ghost tutorials (whereby a ghost shows you the action to perform before you do it), video tutorials, flashing icons on where to click and what to do. 

After having come into the real world (deliverance server) - without the help of a Blacksmith named AbsolutelyNobody I would not have really progressed... The use of help channels and asking questions helped somewhat, and the wiki also provided a huge help... but If one has played almost every MMO out there, they can quickly distinguish the problem with Wurm Online and other games. The problem is that the game should be guiding new users, not other users (Who have no incentive to) and certainly not wiki sites. These should be secondary guidance... but they have been pulling the weight for Wurm Online and the community has kept this great game going (on first impressions)

One thing that is also very bizarre, is the fact that in Wurm Online, it is more difficult for the user than it is for a user that has been around for many years. A game should develop difficulty as you progress - it is almost backwards... (another factor pushing new players away)

Overall my requests are:

• Beginner tutorial to be more clear and make use of video tutorials as well as shadow guides. 
  • Mentor system which incentivizes experienced players in helping new players, i.e. new 'Mentor' skill which increases skill gain. 
  • Missions to start off much more simpler - asking the user to kill 100 of a certain creature, before they even know how to fight (as this was not covered in tutorial) is very bizarre, also, the basics of equipping items, ranges for attack, which targets are safe to attack etc need to be understood before even fighting (This information is only found on the wiki, rather than helpful tips within the game - or so I've seen..)

Regards!

Kammerz - The RP Fanatic.

• Like 2

+1 for ghost tutorials / videos

Tutorial also prevents fast creation of botting accounts, that's why it has to be semi-long.

New tutorial is coming already, with that said, ghost showing you what to do would be great. +1.

Mentor system...ehh, only If it was up to 20 skill in blacksmith/carp and the simple skills.

Missions need work overall, not just for new players. 100 aged lava fiends for a max fighter isn't exactly logical in any decent amount of time. Heh

Edited by Druidnature
  • Like 1

To be fair, missions are server wide...sure 100 lava fiends for a single person would be too much...but 100 lava fiends for the entire server is doable. Having said that, there are some ridiculous missions. I don't think i need to list them here.

Like sacrificing 500 decent(30ql+) opals? :P

^

And less "kill tree near..."

"Build temple/pillar/wtv here"

Get so many of those, it's a bit annoying. I love the kill quest / craft quest that aren't ridiculous. Imo we could use some personal ones (which has already been suggested) for something to do when we don't feel like crafting or just want to do something different.

To be fair, missions are server wide...sure 100 lava fiends for a single person would be too much...but 100 lava fiends for the entire server is doable. Having said that, there are some ridiculous missions. I don't think i need to list them here.

hehe, yeah, the trouble with that is somebody has to tell you that it's server wide and that you can do part  of it.  For the longest time I thought, like the op, that it was asking me to kill 100 lava fiends or whatever.  So I'd sometimes just glance at them, for my daily chuckle, but never took any of them serious.  The ones that said build X, or kill X at Y location....I just said "pftt, yeah right" and went back to terraforming or whatever.  lol

I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done with the new tutorial.  Will have to start a new character and try it out. :)

Missions are an epic feature that was crudely implemented into freedom, so its not a surprise that new players on freedom would find them confusing.

You have personal goals as a sort of personal mission, but those are badly implemented as well.

Like sacrificing 500 decent(30ql+) opals? :P

how about the 1000 decent diamonds ones?

We recently got a mission on MRH, to build a shrine or whatever, on a 5x5 slabbed area at a height of 1200 slope above the highest point in that area of the map =P

• Like 1

Thanks all for responding to the topic. 

If there is planned development in this section already then that's great! It just means I will have to learn the hard way >.>