Sign in to follow this  
WesncIsMe

Less Awful Snow Textures

-1, believe it or not. If it snows enough irl you cant see the ground, deal with it

Why don't crops die then?

The snow physically hurts people's eyes. 

-1 to you and your face.

• Like 1

yeap, really uninspiring. 

Makes you appreciate how beautiful the game is without snow tho. so that's a plus.

+1 for improved snow texture (bump mapping / light refraction (sparkle) etc)
+1 for having the option of turning it off

whatever, however, whichever

+1000 I hate the stinking snow.  Can you make me a tropical island server where it never snows maybe?  The ability to turn the snow off in the settings and just have a really long spring would be nice.

Did the last winter last 2 weeks or did it only feel like it because it was so terribly annoying?

Did the last winter last 2 weeks or did it only feel like it because it was so terribly annoying?

I spent most of the time underground mining/smithing or at my house smithing.

No idea.

Edited by Alec

I'm curious, those of you that are blinded by the snow.. Does the pure white background on google blind you also? Or the pure white in the forum reply box? I mean Wurm can only produce as much light as your screen can, it doesn't make sense that only Wurm would have this effect unless you have gamma settings turned way up in Wurm only.

Not trying to argue, there must be something to this because of how many people have this problem, it's just confusing to me.

I'm curious, those of you that are blinded by the snow.. Does the pure white background on google blind you also? Or the pure white in the forum reply box? I mean Wurm can only produce as much light as your screen can, it doesn't make sense that only Wurm would have this effect unless you have gamma settings turned way up in Wurm only.

Not trying to argue, there must be something to this because of how many people have this problem, it's just confusing to me.

I think it's mostly the contrast between the snow reflecting light and trees, etc. Or when you come out of a mine.

• Like 2

bump :\

I'm curious, those of you that are blinded by the snow.. Does the pure white background on google blind you also?

I'm sure if I stared at the Google homepage for several hours it would blind me too; but I don't, I'll be looking at it for a few seconds tops.

The main issue I have is in Wurm building deeds or grinding skills take a very long time; so you can be staring at this white mess for hours on end - it really does give a headache and hurt your eyes; especially if you do what 99% of the playerbase does and try to watch a windowed movie at the same time or use dual monitors / alt tab; as one window is EXTREMELY bright your brain keeps telling you to look at it; the color demands attention - so it makes multitasking really hard.

I don't have GLSL enabled; shadows are off; bloom isn't on yet snow looks like this for me:

http://puu.sh/d4Ji4/177c05f49c.jpg

Maybe my computer is stuffed or something but it is only Wurm that does this.

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 1

Try turning off bloom for winter, it helps a lot.

afaik, he doesn't have it on, and if he did, he shouldn't have to turn it off due to a shoddy texture.

Try turning off bloom for winter, it helps a lot.

Bloom actually is already off.

afaik, he doesn't have it on, and if he did, he shouldn't have to turn it off due to a shoddy texture.

I didn't design the texture, I'm only offering a suggestion which may have helped.... however

Bloom actually is already off.

Okay

Edited by bwg

Make snow more real!

Here is how you implement it properly:

Make it a layer on top of everything else, with somewhat random depth, it could even change slopes temporarily. It would change the tile type to snow. Make it so you can dig snow (faster than dirt) to uncover whatever is below it. Make new snow appear during snow storms. It should cover whatever is beneth it, but some type of tiles, like rock and also based on slope could be less likely to be covered. 

Also of course +1 to making the textures nicer and introducing several types of snow textures so that not every tile looks the same. Using shaders would be ok too if that makes it look better. 

Change the winter textures, yes.

Having the option to put weather changes off, is a big no.

-1, with the current trend of removing textures to "improve performance"  ;) there should be no texture whatsoever.

Just kidding, but +0, I don't mind the current snow, and I don't mind if it gets revamped.

• Like 1

I like winter in this game, But the rock textures make navigation a nightmare.  Rock should be made to look more like ice, So that we can tell the difference between rock and grass.  This way the world won't be so unfamiliar to us when the seasons change.