Sign in to follow this  
WesncIsMe

Less Awful Snow Textures

Agree with the OP. The ability to turn off the snow texture in individual game options would be great for those who would prefer to have it off. Yes to turning off fog as well. How anyone can object to this is beyond me, since they can choose to have it on if they wish to.

=Ayes=

Bad idea, snow ftw, best hunting when there is snow.

I agree rock tiles snould look abit different tho

Keep all weather effects, seasonal decorations etc. Switching off weather is just silly. Don't like the glare of pure white settled snow? Turn down your brightness and pretend you're wearing goggles.

bump for new awful horrendous snow textures.

Not suggesting to turn them off but atleast better textures. I have eye problems and playing for 20 minutes and looking at this crap it starts to screw with my eyes pretty bad.

I don't want my play time limited due to awful textures which is what is happening right now.

Edited by WesncIsMe

Here's a sample of the snow with glsl on

I play with GLSL on and it isn't NEARLY as bad as that. I don't know what you did, but it has to be something with your settings. It looks more like in the screenshots of the comparison for me.

Rock tiles are fairly easy to tell apart from grass, but that is about the one thing I don't like about the textures. They are more difficult to tell apart, but as was said before, rock tiles have these things sticking out.

As for flowers, heck it is easier for me to tell where the flowers are in winter than it is in summer. In winder you have these flower things sticking out of an almost plain white texture and no weird grass things popping out of the tile, obstructing the view. (tile decorations)

-1 to turn them off or a complete new set of textures, but I wouldn't be opposed to new rock/grass textures. (Don't you dare touch cobblestone, it looks amazing!)

Heh, I told my alliance as I walked out of my building "oh great snow...cya later" /logged.

Worst snow in a game ever, especially compared to the beauty of it's spring graphics.

Looks like I'll be off for a few days again.

I don't want it to be possible to turn off the season packs, but the snow textures are currently pretty awful. They're just a ton of white slapped onto the regular textures. It's a bit as if they were worked on individually during development without being put into context, for example making a long road bordered by grass to see what it'd look like. It's quite overwhelming for a lot of people and I think the textures would benefit from a tad more moderation regarding the amount of snow that's put on them. It doesn't have to look like a hell freeze winter, an inner city snow layer would be enough. It doesn't really matter that it's a wildlife game because too much immersion in something that gives people headaches isn't making the game more enjoyable.

Thanks Dev team. Take away my lawn because it looks "flat and out of place in the Wurm world", but the following day add some horrid snow texture to my slabs and cobblestone to make them look out of place, flat, and fake.

This awful looking stuff even coats my indoor paved tiles.... how immersive.  :rolleyes: 

Give me an option to turn this nonsense off... you had no problem changing lawns for those that thought they weren't pretty.

If the winter textures hurt or "burn" your eyes, your monitors brightness is jacked WAY too high.  That's your problem.

If the winter textures hurt or "burn" your eyes, your monitors brightness is jacked WAY too high.  That's your problem.

But I don't have that problem with the texture of other games, like Red Orchestra, Killing floor, Company of Heros, Warhammer 40,000 DoW... etc.

It only happens with Wurms plain white textures.

No that's not their problem, the textures are too white.  I have the same problem at times during the current winter.  At night it's fine, but at midday Wurm time it is glaring white, and I have done nothing to the settings since last winter came around.  When people are complaining of a problem, it does not help to have you discounting what they say and telling them it's their fault.  After all, how could you possibly know that is the problem unless you know what settings they are using?

Look I was just trying to help.  But it's just crazy to suggest people should be able to turn off seasonal effects like snow. 

Turn your brightness down or tweak your Gama setting.  Something isn't right if the textures are blaring white to the point of causing pain or discomfort.

But I don't have that problem with the texture of other games, like Red Orchestra, Killing floor, Company of Heros, Warhammer 40,000 DoW... etc.

Those are 3D games, Wurm uses Java so I *think* there would be a difference in brightness levels.

Look I was just trying to help.  But it's just crazy to suggest people should be able to turn off seasonal effects like snow. 

Turn your brightness down or tweak your Gama setting.  Something isn't right if the textures are blaring white to the point of causing pain or discomfort.

Those are 3D games, Wurm uses Java so I *think* there would be a difference in brightness levels.

So I am the only one that thinks that winter textures are just plain white with a lot of glittering bright shaders on top of it?

No, Proximo is the only one that thinks he knows better than us what is going on.  The fact is that this thread didn't just ask for the option to turn off winter, but also suggested to make better textures that weren't so glaring white on so many players monitors.  He is correct that something isn't right if the textures are glaring white, but he refuses to accept the idea that maybe the devs need to fix it.  As for myself, I already said that the last winter cycle things were ok, but with the update that came out last week, it is too bright.  I suggest a lesser shade of white, and reworking the textures so they aren't just solid snow.  The new cobblestone and paved slab textures are almost solid white, which adds to the glare and makes it hard to find the roads.  And since we can't remove the snow from the roads with a shovel, they need to do something.

He is correct that something isn't right if the textures are glaring white, but he refuses to accept the idea that maybe the devs need to fix it.

If it was glaring white for EVERYONE, yes it's a game problem.  If it's glaring white for a few, then it's a local problem.   Can you at least go turn your brightness down and SEE if that makes a difference?

I suggest a lesser shade of white, and reworking the textures so they aren't just solid snow.

#1 - That would make fresh snow look dirty white when it should be crisp and bright.

#2 - As several others are trying to demonstrate by posting screenshots, the tiles AREN'T just solid snow.

Again, if you aren't seeing these details in the snow, your game settings need adjusting.

Just what is your problem?  It's not a few, seems to be quite a lot that are complaining.  Yes, I see the details to cobblestone and slab, and the details in the snow, but it is faint and the white is glaring, so it could use fixing.  Not everyone wants to squint while playing to see where they are going.  If I adjust my monitor to see this game right, all other screens are too dim, which indicates this game has some issues.  Stop being such a Wurm cheerleader and accept that things still need some work.  Just because you aren't having issues does not mean there is not a problem.  Not everyone is running the equipment you are, and Wurm does need to accommodate those other machines.

• Like 1

If it was glaring white for EVERYONE, yes it's a game problem.  If it's glaring white for a few, then it's a local problem.   Can you at least go turn your brightness down and SEE if that makes a difference?

#1 - That would make fresh snow look dirty white when it should be crisp and bright.

#2 - As several others are trying to demonstrate by posting screenshots, the tiles AREN'T just solid snow.

Again, if you aren't seeing these details in the snow, your game settings need adjusting.

But the textures itself are just white without much detail, or are you going to tell me to make my own textures?.

Well Wurm isn't exactly a high-res textures kinda game, I'll give you that.  But it's snow.  Exactly how much detail can they put into snow?

snow-land.jpg

Blending would be so much better compared to the solid white.

18086908187516076032_screenshots_2013-08

My gamma is not high and Wurm is the only game I have the problem with.

I could go on and make comments about how back in the day there were no seasons. I don't mind the snow, but maybe some mixed textures would make it a little more bearable.

• Like 1

I must -1 this one as well. I know that the snow tiles are a bit bright in the full sun, but the winter majesty of Wurm would never be complete without all this snow.

I realize that you are not suggesting we get rid of them altogether (just tweak them), but I am affraid that once tweaking happens, we may end up with almost no snow :)

Blending yes, it would be nice to see but I don't think its possible with the tile system for terraforming.