Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 11

Thanks man!

The vines will need some consideration before implementation as we have had no "wall decorating" items before.

And simply creating them as placeable items, while easy. Would not make it very intuitive to get into the correct aesthetically pleasing angle lining the wall. So to say.

But that is how they will be placed in the tutorial zone I expect.

We shall see what we have time for!

Might not be the best idea to fill the tutorial (first thing someone see's) With items that are not actually in game. Creates false expectations and such.

Jus Saying

• Like 2

You might remember the third and forth line in this news letter maybe?

"Since the last news letter there has mostly been fixes and optimization which is not a very interesting read.

Though I can not stress the importance of this work enough."

We are working on several things at the same time you see, unlikely as it might seem.

And luckily one thing does not exclude another.

Hope this clear things up.

i know when staff bs things in letters 

EDIT:your not fix staff member try bs something so i can undserstand

EDIT:you are not/understand

EDIT;first

EDIT:back on topic fix the game

Edited by shankiest

Sharks... in ideal condition like an attempt to hunt them, it is awesome. But in a sticky situation like unawarely being attacked by shark? could be a nightmare.

Destroying boats is a no no, what would players do with the items that fall off it? 

Knocking player down and attack them afterward.. hmm... could use something like they have delay to each knockdown so players can quickly go back to boat and run? 

Maybe manually placed sharks region? Or sharks pool that have the sharks fin visible so players can avoid it? Like sharks only attack if players enter its pool zone.

Also about tutorial, might want to take a read on my researches info on a newbies shelter: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/97628-newbies-improvement-suggestion-based-on-research-on-hills-of-aenasan/ . Probably will help sheds more insight. :D

Edited by rosedragon

When are going to make announcement about Wurm 1.3 and promised next combat improvements? ;-)

Edited by vill

attacked by shark????

no ty

its hard enough to sail around to your own and other servers and do your delivery without get killed by a shark and maybe loose both cargo and ship :(

or its a way to change how we sell our bulkitems ?

a little suggestion ...let the wind change alot more then it do today so we dont need to sail in slow wind for days

I agree with others here that say you should make the shark able to attack boats! I would really like one of those t-shirts too!

i know when staff bs things in letters 

EDIT:your not fix staff member try bs something so i can undserstand

EDIT:you are not/understand

EDIT;first

EDIT:back on topic fix the game

Corpse can be used as shark bait! :D

You crazy swedes! Have you forgot your heritage? That was Odin!

Last time sharks were added they did 25 damage to a corbita, that is way too much. It would say poof before you could out-sail it or fight it from your boat. Imo it sohuld damage your boat yes, but not be able to destroy it so quickly. 

The last time Sharks were added to the game (on day two of Deli) I was their lunch because I was in a rowboat and Rolf himself came to save me, as he and GMs also saved many of us. Here we go again.

(I was in a rowboat, when we got attacked in them and sailboats the Shark would knock you out of the boat and eat you, in my case in one gulp. For Players in Corbitas and larger yes the sharks did damage to  them attempting to get at their prey.)

Edited by Kyrmius

If it is concerning what I wrote in an earlier news post it is not the servers. It is bottlenecks from certain regions to the server location in Germany.

From what I have heard, Max has managed to gather quite a bit of information with the help of the Wurmians.

But if it is enough to get the service and network providers to address it, I still can not say.

Yeah, we really need some more info, and a lot more action on this. I have had to purchase a VPN subscription to play the game. Can't play without it. That money is coming directly out of my wurm budget. So less money for wurm.

I have also leased a virtual server from the same host provider, in order to have a method to gauge the problem easier. (this money also coming directly out of my wurm budget.) While technically the lag problem is with connections on the open internet, the whole problem can and should have already been fixed at the host. Its really very simple, take the traceroutes you have already collected, and have the host network techs, create routemaps from your servers to prioritize the bgp "AS" paths to those networks over a different provider. Currently it seems all paths out of "OUR" current host, start with (init7) And routing in that providers network changes multiple times per day. Yes it is the shortest "AS" path back to me, but shortest is not always BEST, its faster to go a longer distance at a higher speed than shorter and slower, at least in this case. Its not like the host only has one upstream provider, they in fact have several. Easy fix.

This not being priority ONE, is a slap in the face. This going on this long, is another slap in the face. The attitude of "staff" here on the forums about this is yet another slap, and that happens to be that last one I am going to take.

Get this problem fixed. This isn't some minor bug that can be ignored for years. 

just when i thought i could get to 99 fishing.... sharks are going to come after me D=

I like sharks as something you can go hunt, but not something that will come to hunt you. Think of the pain of trying to locate your body afterwards unless you have a priest. No landmarks, floating way past rendering distance most of the time, and have to have a second boat or a friend to ferry you around while you look for your boat and body. At least when you die on land you can find your body again alone.

now, if there was a hunting server implemented, or perhaps if they were a passive unique creature? Or perhaps a water based HOTA.

If I lose a boat I spent days to make, as well as a corpse with lots of expensive tools and items (that cost RL cash in Wurl), somewhere half way between two servers and to a shark that someone thought would be fun to add for some reason, it will certainly be grounds for a ragequit.

• Like 2

sharks  -1.   

Wurm when are you going to learn some players don't like aggressive combat type challenges? Wurm your limiting your potential by forceing everyone to be a mob killer. 

Note, I'd support sharks if any player had the choice to ignore them. So if you enjoy combat go out an hunt sharks. If you like a peaceful jorney on the sea don't worry because you have to op-in to the shark attack system.

• Like 2

Since the last news letter there has mostly been fixes and optimization which is not a very interesting read.

Though I can not stress the importance of this work enough.

This is the best bit of news!

Could you give us more info?

• Like 1

Sharks? Sounds cool. That's a lovely looking model.

However...

What's the up side? I only see obstacles mentioned so far. If you want to enhance the game play and experience, there shouldn't be anything introduced that has no benefit for players. Those are called nerfs, and they're rarely popular with your player base. From what I see so far, there's only negatives for players, not positives - more attention needed to try to avoid them,  and if not avoided, there's more risk of death, much more risk of lost corpses, lost cargos, lost boats even. What would be the positives for having sharks in game?

When you are sailing as the commander of a boat, you've very soon got no stamina left. You couldn't fight effectively it if it attacks you directly, or if knocks you out of the boat. You'd die unless you're extremely skilled / geared.

If you really want to introduce sharks, link them to fishing. X skill minimum to fish them, only fishable from a boat, possibly with a way to fish specifically for sharks on the context menu. A successful fishing attempt for a shark then creates a mini game of some sort to wear it out and land it, affected by skill and QL of the fishing gear. Then once landed and in inventory (or boat cargo, perhaps that's more appropriate) then it's butcherable and would need to give something worthwhile, possible a unique crafting resource - otherwise what's the point

• Like 6

Sharks yes!

Freedom should stop whining, as freedom is PvE (player VERSUS enemy) not player VERSUS flowers.)

Edited by Radni

When you say Giant Shark I hope you truly mean GIANT.  None of this making it the size of an actual great white to scale, that's lame and not Giant.  I'm talking a Giant Shark nearly the size of a Corbita.  Now THAT would be awesome to see in game lurking in the waters.

Sharks yes!

Freedom should stop whining, as freedom is PvE (player VERSUS enemy) not player VERSUS flowers.)

That's player versus environment, and it only works if you can fight back against said environment.  If you had enemies on Epic that could sneak up undetected, outrun you, drain your token instantly, and happened to be virtually invincible, you'd probably have a problem with that too.  

At least that's what I'm assuming this "sharks attacking boats" thing essentially means, since that's what I've been told it was like for boaters the last time sharks were in.

• Like 2

I dont want to be rude but we have way bigger things in game we are waiting for. Deal with those and dont spread yourselves between unnecessary and unwanted tasks. Stay focused on the main development lines and try to finish em asap while fixing bugs too. I in person am not interested in another harmful effect in game. Those who are swimming (or forced to, due to be beginners) need it the least of all for something to attack them while they are struggling with their newbie stamina to last till the shore they want to reach. 

Edited by bonefly
  • Like 7

However...

What's the up side? I only see obstacles mentioned so far. If you want to enhance the game play and experience, there shouldn't be anything introduced that has no benefit for players. Those are called nerfs, and they're rarely popular with your player base. From what I see so far, there's only negatives for players, not positives - more attention needed to try to avoid them,  and if not avoided, there's more risk of death, much more risk of lost corpses, lost cargos, lost boats even. What would be the positives for having sharks in game?

When you are sailing as the commander of a boat, you've very soon got no stamina left. You couldn't fight effectively it if it attacks you directly, or if knocks you out of the boat. You'd die unless you're extremely skilled / geared.

If you really want to introduce sharks, link them to fishing. X skill minimum to fish them, only fishable from a boat, possibly with a way to fish specifically for sharks on the context menu. A successful fishing attempt for a shark then creates a mini game of some sort to wear it out and land it, affected by skill and QL of the fishing gear. Then once landed and in inventory (or boat cargo, perhaps that's more appropriate) then it's butcherable and would need to give something worthwhile, possible a unique crafting resource - otherwise what's the point

And this EXACTLY !!!

Absolutely link sharks to the fishing skill but please don't add them as a marine predator that is capable of attacking ships.  Imagine you are travelling to one of the other servers or moving house, as it were, to a new server and get attacked by a shark.  As mentioned by Delakar, there's a good chance you will be dead and your belongings are drifting in the ocean many miles from where you respawn.

A definite game killer if I've ever seen one.

Also, the newbie player has enough to contend with on land. Who hasn't jumped into the water to avoid a land based critter and now, should you be unlucky enough to jump into deep water ( not all water access is shallow) you could get devoured by a shark.

If the developers really feel the game must have sharks then it would be nice if they could figure out a way to code a warning system for players, to advise them that they are entering "a shark infested area".  Let the player decide if he/she wants to risk life and limb crossing deep waters.

• Like 3

However...

Nicely summed up everything I was about say, Delakar.  Well said...

This would be a nerf that will really upset a lot of people.  I feel many people would rank this nerf right up wiht the v1.0 Farming Nerf where Rake It Or Else get a pitance for a Harvest was brought in.

I am an engineer by nature.  I came to wurm to build my world with my available gaming time each week.  Losing hours of my precious gaming time Rake it or Lose It each week is very annoying.   It was a "negetive effect" improvement to many.

.... if your sharks knock enough paying customers off their boats far from home and kill them with a mob that a low fight skill person has no chance against, you will see a lot of rage quits.  People will take their money and go else where.

New challengers to Wurm's supremacy as the leader in the sandbox MMOG field are rumoured to be coming from other company's with deep pockets is what everyone is hearing.

They have to be watching what is happening in here and are probably taking note of what "improvements" turn out to be negetive customer satisfaction inducing nerfs.

Right now we are the best, but continued "dis-improvements" will only benefit the competition as old timers and newbies alike say "enough is enough" and vote with their feet, taking their wallets with them.

Food for thought!

Respectfully submitted,  Cheers! Hughmongus

• Like 2

Yeah, so uhm devs, better get rid of trolls because a newbie cannot kill one.

If you disagree with this logic, why would you agree to the logic above of "sharks = insta-death and ragequit"

• Like 2