Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 11

Sounds interesting if sharks can damage boat, but it would probably be best to limit that to sailboats and rowboats. With anything bigger it wouldn't make much sense for them to attack it unless those sharks are a lot bigger than I'm imagining, maybe add a Kraken or something for the bigger stuff?

How about that server lag issue that you guys admitted to? Any progress on that?

Plants growing on trellises.  Big yes.  The one in the pic looks great.  Would love that. :)

Sharks attacking boats and people.  Big no.  Would absolutely hate that.  

As someone else said, with boats being so godawful slow that means you'd be forced to fight it whether you're able or not and then probably not able to get to your body to get your stuff. So that means anybody without high enough fighting skill would not be able to sail. Period.  

I'm against anything in any game that forces characters to become fighters if they're not so inclined. I generally avoid those type games like the plague.

• Like 4

i don't really know if we want sharks to attack boats and the newbies using them as a safe route to avoid aggroes they are unable to fight.

Indeed this is a very valid point.

This will definitely be taken into consideration.

Probably should be easy to avoid with a sort of skill requirement to be able to cause aggro.

Also people idling whilst sailing should be given a fair chance to be able to respond to the threat before being devoured by this beast.

• Like 7

+1 to a ghostly homeless man wandering around in wurm wearing the wurm shirt. Anytime you get close, he vanishes, but can be faintly seen in dark caves, and in the fog. If you listen REALLY closely, it might sound like he is asking how much your wagon cost.

How about that server lag issue that you guys admitted to? Any progress on that?

If it is concerning what I wrote in an earlier news post it is not the servers. It is bottlenecks from certain regions to the server location in Germany.

From what I have heard, Max has managed to gather quite a bit of information with the help of the Wurmians.

But if it is enough to get the service and network providers to address it, I still can not say.

Not pleased to hear about killer sharks being introduced and the damage they might cause to boats as well. It can be a long hard journey returning to ones corpse and boat without any weapons, armor and other items. Just adds another good reason to avoid boat travel as far as I am concerned.

That vine trellis looks very nice though. No fair putting stuff like that in the Tutorial area where we players have no access to see or use it in our own designs! 

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Indeed this is a very valid point.

This will definitely be taken into consideration.

Probably should be easy to avoid with a sort of skill requirement to be able to cause aggro.

Also people idling whilst sailing should be given a fair chance to be able to respond to the threat before being devoured by this beast.

This sounds good....as far as it goes.  But, not to be rude, in my experience in wurm it seems that things like this end up needing endless tweaking, and one half or the other half of the player base ticked off at any given time depending on the latest tweak and who it's screwing with.

But if it's truly avoidable, and stays that way, I wouldn't mind it......much.....I suppose.  

I still don't think boats should take damage. The consequences of losing your boat are just too high for the "joy" of trying to transport goods at a snails pace, (except for those masochistic types who seem to think that fun equals maybe losing all your stuff).  What if the hold is loaded with stuff you just spent an arm & a leg of real life money for?

Derrrr derrr..... derrrr derrr.... derrr derrr... derrr derr.. derr derr. derr derr derr derr derr

I dont mind a bit of boat damage, but we HAVE to be able to outrun them in any wind speed (maybe vary their speed based on wind speed, and make it so long as you arent going into the wind you can escape).

I hated getting tossed around by the old sea serpents. It makes escape impossible really. Try to remember some of us choose to be crafters instead of fighters, and everyone needs to travel sometimes!

• Like 4

Sharks finally \o/

"What do you think, should it attack boats as well?"

my vote would be +1 and maybe even champ ones (if there will be such thing) can atack bigger ships.

Normal ones atacking row and sailing boats sounds fair enough and even dmg it a litle (very litle) with a chance to knock you out of the boat asLycan mentioned.

Thanks dev team, gj on sharks. and Baron, remember to bring more sea creatures on your next update ;)

Giant sharks... perhaps very deep water only, moves slowly, gives up a chase quickly, and the higher a boat's difficulty the harder it is to damage. E.g. cog reasonably tough, knarr tougher, caravel practically indestructable. Or maybe just a boost for cog and caravel since the knarr already has huge advantages...

I don't like the idea of Sharks attacking boats.

• Like 2

I'd love to see giant sharks attacking and damaging boats. Might be a great way to clear up all those abandoned boats around the servers. It would also create a new market for ship builders as there would be new customers. :)

Having said that, I'll now I'll put on my flame retardant suit.

If there are going to be sharks, there should be some way to attack them in the water and collect the corpse after. This would provide meat and maybe some interesting new sharkskin rugs.

Where can I get one of the shirts? Lol I'd like one with the Wurm logo on front and back please!

• Like 1

Great job in Stockholm, Wurm team! And Baron... you definitely make a great booth babe!

Also, the shark looks absolutely great. Almost real. But what I am really excited about the most are the vines on the stone wall you show in your second screenshot. I absolutely cannot wait to have those in the game. They will make so many places come alive!!

Great work.

Edited by Valdor

* Sharks attacking boats:

Maybe give them a chance to "knock" you out the boat to (try and) eat you.

Eaglespirits all over again...please god no...

Edited by WesncIsMe
  • Like 3

+1 Sharks attacking boats, for ships it would need to be champ. 

So why are we discussing sharks attacking boats?  Do these sharks have a lack of fiber in their diet and have to supplement it with wood?  If so, do they have a weakness to the regular fishing rod, with its wooden hook?

+1 to in game voting system ;)

Sharks damaging boats you say? Hmm...

First I was thinking; "ok, but only smaller boats" but then i remembered that's the best form of transportation for a newbie. So, maybe only allow it in very deep water?

Otherwise, i'd say no thanks. :)

I am now jealous of a Stockholm homeless man...

Stop adding crap and put your focus into helping the game by not making it more buggy...

• Like 5

i love the idea of sharks especially if fish able at certain levels. The thought of them attacking is fun, the reality probably would not be good. If they do attack minimal damage only, as it could be devastating to many players including newbies and afk nappers alike. 

Stop adding crap and put your focus into helping the game by not making it more buggy...

You might remember the third and forth line in this news letter maybe?

"Since the last news letter there has mostly been fixes and optimization which is not a very interesting read.

Though I can not stress the importance of this work enough."

We are working on several things at the same time you see, unlikely as it might seem.

And luckily one thing does not exclude another.

Hope this clear things up.

• Like 2

Great job in Stockholm, Wurm team! And Baron... you definitely make a great booth babe!

Also, the shark looks absolutely great. Almost real. But what I am really excited about the most are the vines on the stone wall you show in your second screenshot. I absolutely cannot wait to have those in the game. They will make so many places come alive!!

Great work.

Thanks man!

The vines will need some consideration before implementation as we have had no "wall decorating" items before.

And simply creating them as placeable items, while easy. Would not make it very intuitive to get into the correct aesthetically pleasing angle lining the wall. So to say.

But that is how they will be placed in the tutorial zone I expect.

We shall see what we have time for!