Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 11

Great, sharks.  Another creature to grief tradesmen that provide 0 benefit to the game.

This thread has went in two directions with posters it seems.  The people who actually have to deal with slow boat travel for shipping goods and have skin in the game as they are the ones who have things at risk and use the waterways often.  These people are against it.  Then the people who think "oo sharks cool, hope it can kill people and destroy ships!" because they don't spend 50% of their game time on the water doing deliveries and trading.

Awful idea.  If you want to add sharks, fine.  Just make sure they cant kick me out of my boat, damage my boat, or kill me while sailing.

if you base it off FS levels or something like that for aggro I'll have to start using my miner for deliveries I guess since I enjoy hunting also and have high FS on my main.

Edited by Niclamus
  • Like 1

Easy there Nic, many of us think sharks are cool and do in fact spend allot of time sailing.

• Like 1

Travel over land has many dangers, sure it's much faster then slow as heck sailing, buts a completely separate problem. Why should water be completely safe?

Though, I do say it shouldn't be to killer, getting your body back from the ocean isn't a fun thing to do. But there should always - always - be risk. This isn't a pure building game, and I pray it never becomes that.

• Like 2

Love the idea of sharks.

Pretty sure trolls bash carts already too, seems like a similar thing to me.  ;) 

Sitting here with my morning coffee, trying to become human again, I just had a humorous thought.  Currently we tell newbies "if being chased by a mob you can't fight, just run to a guard tower or run into the water."  

Now with the slower guards and then if they make the sharks aggro, the new phrase will be......"if being chased by a mob you can't fight, just run to a guard tower or run into the water MUAHAHAHA."

ok, need more coffee

I can say with complete honesty that if sharks that spontaneously attacked you and your boat while sailing were implemented I'd never sail again. Perhaps in the lake, but I'd never go to the ocean ever again. I'd rather spend 4 times the time it would take me to sail walking across the map to avoid getting stuck on a server border, dying and leaving a ship behind. If there even was a ship to leave behind after the sharks had attacked it. :)

Sailing is not something I do because I find it to be great fun, sailing is something I do because despite its bugginess and time consumption it is often the more convenient alternative compared to walking/carting across the map. With sharks attacking it would no longer be more convenient.

• Like 5

Love the idea of sharks.

Pretty sure trolls bash carts already too, seems like a similar thing to me.  ;) 

Carts take 1/1000th of the time and resources to make that a boat does.  So, as long as they do 1/1000th the damage maybe we can talk about that.

Also trolls are easy to kill.  Hows one supposed to get their stam back while commanding a boat to kill a shark?

Not exactly, At least if it's done correctly. it could be a aggro mob, but make sure it's Visible in some way - enough to where people could sail around it.  

And also, of course, make it so a new player, or vet, gets attacked by one, is in some way able to escape it.

Travel over land has many dangers, sure it's much faster then slow as heck sailing, buts a completely separate problem. Why should water be completely safe?

Though, I do say it shouldn't be to killer, getting your body back from the ocean isn't a fun thing to do. But there should always - always - be risk. This isn't a pure building game, and I pray it never becomes that.

A non-aggro is the option that pleases the most players. It is the option that gives all players the choice to do what they want. Its cool if you want challenge. And hey a non-aggro will give you challenge because you can still hunt and attack it.

I pray that wurm choose to expand by offering choices which appeal to a diverse population of player types. In contrast to what you imply -- telling others how to play and imposing a narrow minded opinion of how the game should be played on others.

• Like 3

Sharks should be agressive. 

But, they should be placed only on server borders. -50+ tiles from the border for example

I can say with certainty, after the recent work and progress, that the people who I claimed were being pretentious were indeed pretentious. lol  Now that sharks are going to be awesome (like they were already going to be), lets all enjoy the updates to come with a reduction in assumptions and anger!