Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Exploration & Maps

I'm thinking it would be nice to add a new skill in called "exploration" that has to do with maps and also (finally) a way to guess your rough position.  It would be nice to pair it with tracking in some way (maybe have tracking as a subskill or the other way around?)

The following changes are proposed to maps :

Allowing the editing of markers (both shape and label), also whether it is visible to village/alliance.

A new action with a compass, used on a deed token it creates a marker for the token on the map, grants a small amount of exploration exp.  The base timer being about 5 mins, reduced by skill and compass QL.

A new action with a compass, right clicking on it and using "get bearings" puts a circular overlay on the map with your rough position.  The radius of the circle reduces with higher skill/compass QL.  This, again, gives some skillgain.  Timer for skill use starts at 2 mins (must be stood still) and is reduced by compass QL and skill level.

At higher levels of exploration an additional map zoom level is unlocked (at 50 and 70?) allowing for more detailed marking.

Old suggestion, even before maps, Cartography/topography and "exploration" skills in-game with player crafted maps, and stuff like astrolabs, compasses and clocks used to get your position on the map and add your surroundings to a map were suggested several times, but sadly the devs chose to implement the half-assed low res crap we have for maps atm.

• Like 1

Old suggestion, even before maps, Cartography/topography and "exploration" skills in-game with player crafted maps, and stuff like astrolabs, compasses and clocks used to get your position on the map and add your surroundings to a map were suggested several times, but sadly the devs chose to implement the half-assed low res crap we have for maps atm.

This /topic. :D

This is exactly what was feared with the addition of ingame maps, that people would want to have their position marked on the map in some fashion. All I have to say is no, no, and never. Figure out your position via the community maps and your surroundings, you don't need the game to do it for you.

• Like 3

This is exactly what was feared with the addition of ingame maps, that people would want to have their position marked on the map in some fashion. All I have to say is no, no, and never. Figure out your position via the community maps and your surroundings, you don't need the game to do it for you.

So, you KNEW ahead of time that players wanted a good map, but decided to give us this low-res thing you call a map instead.  I see more new players quitting daily just because they have no idea where they are and can't figure it out.  But instead of helping them you have this high handed attitude about it?  I think it's time to get over yourself and think about the future of the game on this one.

So, you KNEW ahead of time that players wanted a good map, but decided to give us this low-res thing you call a map instead. I see more new players quitting daily just because they have no idea where they are and can't figure it out. But instead of helping them you have this high handed attitude about it? I think it's time to get over yourself and think about the future of the game on this one.

They wouldn't last in wurm anyway.

If you want player base: make this game easy mode.

Want to keep current players? Keep it hard.

Edited by Druidnature
  • Like 1

So, you KNEW ahead of time that players wanted a good map, but decided to give us this low-res thing you call a map instead.  I see more new players quitting daily just because they have no idea where they are and can't figure it out.  But instead of helping them you have this high handed attitude about it?  I think it's time to get over yourself and think about the future of the game on this one.

I didn't want the maps to begin with. There was no reason for them when we had fully working community maps already.

• Like 2

They wouldn't last in wurm anyway.

If you want player base: make this game easy mode.

Want to keep current players? Keep it hard.

May as well say, if you want to make more money, listen to the players, if you want to keep scraping by, keep it hard.

I didn't want the maps to begin with. There was no reason for them when we had fully working community maps already.

The community maps are NOT fully working.  They are always behind on what has happened.  I've been playing this game since 2008, and recently went to FM to reload my merchants.  And I got lost, because the roads had changed so much in just 4 weeks.  The maps also only list villages that the owner has requested be placed on the map.  It does not show some cities, and some that have disbanded are still on the maps.

Now I know that the pvp servers have some big issues with maps, but city details could be skipped, just keep markers for villages and show the terrain.  But we DON"T have to keep this game so frustrating for players.  I've seen requests for proper maps since I started, so it's obviously a popular idea.  But those of us that learned the game without maps have to let go of some of the 'hard' ideas, to let the game grow.  In fact, except for pvp issues, I see no skill that is affected in a negative way by having decent ingame maps, nor are they enhanced.  So what is the real reason left to argue about it?  I had it hard, so you should too?  That's just petty.

Edited by Vroomfondel
  • Like 1

No..  No you do not...

They're nice, and the people who run them work damn hard, but accuracy is ALWAYS an issue.

Getting lost and learning to rely on your surroundings + the community maps has been a part of this game for a long time. If you don't like that your server's particular map isn't updated, it's called a "Community Map" for a reason. Pitch in and help.

The new in-game map is a neat toy for Alliance, to see where everyone is located at and you can add your own personal markers on it to places, choose whether or not your alliance sees them. I don't rely on them for navigation though. I like that this game had no in game maps. Reminded me of playing EQ 1 when we had binders full of printed maps.

• Like 1

May as well say, if you want to make more money, listen to the players, if you want to keep scraping by, keep it hard.

Actually, that's pretty close to what I meant. :)

It's not hard for this game to get 100k+ players. Make it like (hate mentioning other games) minecraft. Make everything 10x faster, make imping faster, make less chores, add maps that show players/mobs.... Hell, make it like EQNL.

Most players quit not because of some stupid map.... But because of everything combined. Wurm as it is right now, attracts me because of how hard it is, it's not easy mode, it's time consuming, and it's that everyone can feel good about when they finish there personal goals. I've had multiple friends try this game, and they always leave for the same reasons... Timers take to long. Imping is to long. Dieing to a wolf is stupid, we're lost and can't find out how to use landmarks, ect. My friends hate it, and I can understand that. But that's why I love it.

So yes, I will say I don't want them to listen to players without thinking it through themselves. Player suggestions (even if we as a entire community) support it, doesn't mean it's good for the current wurm we live in. I've seen games do exactly what the players wanted, and most of them now no longer exist. And I will openly say I don't wish to see wurm have 100k+ players. I'm content with how it is. If we get more players, then I want to see a LOT more servers, because I enjoy the game with the "option" to interact with others. It's why I own a entire local chat - so I can choose who enters and who doesn't.

Please don't take this the wrong way, it's just my view and what I want of the game. Doesn't mean I'm right, but it's what I as a player enjoy currently, and would like to keep. And making the map easier takes a sliver, be it big or small , away from what makes wurm special to me.

Edited by Druidnature
  • Like 2

-1 to showing where you are on the map. The new maps are a great addition for epic, that help us out a lot considering sharing community maps would be a big no-no.

No skill is needed besides your own abilities. Figuring out where you are on a map by looking at landmarks is more fun and engaging than grinding some new skill.

• Like 1

No skill is needed besides your own abilities. Figuring out where you are on a map by looking at landmarks is more fun and engaging than grinding some new skill.

Except for the small fact that landmarks can change overnight in wurm.

That huge forest you crossed can become a sand desert in a couple of hours. That mountain can become a valley in a week (specially if it has a high dirt layer). Etc.Etc.

I NEVER truly got lost in Wurm, but like vroomfindel i've found myself working hard to find my path on roads i've crossed dozens of times, just because someone decided to "fix it".

Sure a simple map ping would be too crappy, but a actual geography/topography skill where characters "learn" to find their location and with time become able to draw maps would actually make for a more fun and immersive gameplay, and at the same time a new player with some work and proper tools could find himself on the map quite easily.

Of course there's always that oligarchy that wants to keep wurm "as is" because it benefits them, not because it benefits the game as a whole, or even its continuity. Too many people (like druid illustrated so vehemently) that would rather keep wurm scrapping by, than have it become popular, possibly cheaper, and more entertaining.

Edited by KanePT

I think it's time to get over yourself and think about the future of the game on this one.

The irony is strong in this sentence.