Sign in to follow this  
Milosanx

Wurm Online Chaos Life Shield Training Part 1

I find shields really aren't needed on freedom, but if you are going to go to a pvp server it is a skill that you are going to want to skill up.

I've read many different forums post and gotten information from many people a long the way, here is a little bit of info on getting you shield skill up to speed.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9HvAzXV9gA

Edited by Milosanx
  • Like 5

Nice video. In regards to quality of shields, people used to use high quality shields due to players being able to AFK longer without maintaining them, low quality shields for high skilled players can break very fast. Skill gain for shield skill is better when it's more difficult to block, a long standing theory has been the sweet spot is having 50% chance.

I imagine the best skill gain for players who have 90+ shield skill could be champ crocs or unicorns, but the damage they give out makes them non-efficient and hard to test on a long period of time compared to horses and such.

Another old theory is to skill on creatures who can hit you fast, a few years ago players would use greenish/raging/champion cave bugs for shield skilling. I'm not sure how effective they are nowadays as there have been a bunch of shield changes since them days heh.

Good video. I've been doing a ton of shield training lately and got it pretty high. I used horses then switched to bison and bears, as normal horses were not giving me any shield bashing skill after 30, so bear that in mind if that is what you want to do. 

• Like 1

I imagine the best skill gain for players who have 90+ shield skill could be champ crocs or unicorns, but the damage they give out makes them non-efficient and hard to test on a long period of time compared to horses and such.

Anything stronger than a horse just hits me too much even if i use a 80ql shield and i have 94lms... 

Edited by atazs

A good tip is to use a Fo priest to give youself oakshell and save damage to your armor or make the target animal more durable.  It also allows you to tank  stronger creatures if get really nice cast.  If your afk when it runs out though you can quite easily dibe killed.

Edited by Rushy

Awesome vid as always Milo :) I look forwards for more videos in the future!

(P.S lower ql shields do give better skill gain, but like MD said, harder to maintain if you go AFK)

(P.P.S When you come over to Chaos next ill give ya a 90+ coc lrg metal shield :))

Edited by Redd

Great Tips guys.

Yeah I did see better gains on a lower ql  shield and able to go afk for a bout 10 mins, so I didn't really mind. Also, due to not having any shield smithing skill I need to keep my good shield (coc78) for hunting.

But as I said, I'm not an expert, so getting all these comment up here is great for everyone. keep them coming!

Also, for anyone starting out that are using a shield, make sure you either have access to someone that has good shield smithing or work on that skill, Shields get damaged in a crazy amount of time.