Sign in to follow this  
Zera

Pets and Dominated Beasts..

Auto Following Pets?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Should pets be able to auto follow their owners?

• Yes! Leading them everywhere is annoying.
    • No! Rope/Menu click should be required to take your pet anywhere.
    • I am undecided.

With the ability to tame and dominate a wide variety of beasts ingame and the ability to lead them into battle with you it opens a lot of windows for those of us who crave the animal companionship.

However, being required to lead the tamed animals or dominated beasts by lead, otherwise commanded on tile clicks can be quite troublesome.

I have noticed that even by leading these 'pets' into combat they cannot or will not attack your target if you are attacked and they are not close enough. (I may be wrong here, but this is what I have seen.)

I feel that the whole domination or pet idea could be expanded on to be made better to allow our pets or dominated beasts follow us automatically and move into attack position when we are attacked by a wild beast.

Of course some people might argue, "I don't want my horse to follow me around after I've tamed it to put on horse-shoes!" and I agree with this 100%.

Currently we are given the option to set our pets to either logoff when we do or stay online, and by default they are set to logoff. I believe the reason for that is to avoid any accidental killing of our pets while we are not online for not knowing.. The follow would work the same way. Players would be able to click on their pet and select whether they want the pet to "follow" or "stay" with the default being "stay".

With a pet set to follow this could allow the pet to move into position when entering combat with the player, no more trying to potision the pet to be able to attack the enemy.

I think having your pets at a high enough taming level should give you the option to make them follow you around. It is realistic and very convenient :)

• Like 1

Voted undecided, because I have mixed views. I would like the pet options improved, so that they actually obeyed commands, traveled where I told them, and actually HAD the option to have them follow me without being led on a rope, but I would not like them to follow me by default. 

Voted undecided, because I have mixed views. I would like the pet options improved, so that they actually obeyed commands, traveled where I told them, and actually HAD the option to have them follow me without being led on a rope, but I would not like them to follow me by default. 

That's why I posted that by default they should not follow the player. For simple reasoning of horses needing tamed to put on shoes and saddle.

Having the ability at a certain level of taming to instruct the pet to follow until told otherwise would pretty much totally rekindle my desire to continue taming.

I actually assumed thats how it would work, naively thinking that what had become a standard mechanic in most games for those interested in pets would be the same here.  Was very surprised after my first successful taming that I had to lead things around with a rope.

Quickly became not worth the effort.

And if it became an issue of balance and combat, then I would still be on board with this concept such that if the pet were told to follow, it would just stand there during combat.

If led by a rope, it would be usable for combat.

And if it became an issue of balance and combat, then I would still be on board with this concept such that if the pet were told to follow, it would just stand there during combat.

If led by a rope, it would be usable for combat.

It would certainly cause some people to be rather upset by pets who were able to partake in combat unled, but would that not only encourage others to raise what is often looked at as an otherwise rather useless skill?

I see lots of people raise taming enough just for the horses in most case and then never bother with it again after that. Having a high enough tame skill to take a desired pet or dominated monster into combat, both PvE and PvP would prove the skill more useful than that.

Part of the reason I suggest this be added is because of the combat mechniac and how much of a pain it can be to position the pet into position to get it to attack with you, if you are the one being attacked first. Although quite often I find that my pet has a much larger radius to be detected and often is the one drawing attention.