Sign in to follow this  
Malena

Villages need to be populated with "decoration" NPCs

I see great decorative value in decorative NPC is the devs would actually code an AI for them to move and interact with objects around them. (Sitting on benches for example) The game seems to support a very low population density so most places end up looking barren and sad.

I think NPCs would inspire new player and benefit the game.

I have a suggestion guys: how about we scope down this conversation to something as simple as this: Do you see value in decorational NPCs or do you not?

Nope.

As players, it's not your job (or your place really) to worry about technicalities - give the devs the benefit of the doubt in what miracle work they are capable of and leave it up to them to decide if something is not doable technically.

It does become our concern though since optimizing it probably won't be top priority. We already have items that kill fps like a lamp on a porch and those items have been like that for at least a year. I can see lots of people decorating their villages with NPCs in an attempt to fancy the place up and it'll result in players avoiding walking through their villages. For villages that are in a central placement where others HAVE to walk through them to get from A to B it will be completely devastating.

A guy was coming over some days ago for a trade and he stopped 60 or so tiles away from our village and said that he can't enter because of computer issues in our village. In our village we do not hoard creatures, wo do not have ten billion story houses and our streets aren't filled with clutter - Yet visitors have severe difficulties entering.

I would much rather prefer that existing features were looked upon before more fps killing features were introduced. Sure, they could spend time coding decorative NPCs - but for whom? The ones with 16GB RAM and Nvidia card? Because those are the ones that would enjoy them, the rest would stagger to death.

Aeris at 10s a pop many will go with 1 or 2 maybe even 3 npc's not a lot would go 5+.

I'm not a techie but I do not see walking by a npc with a simple animation any worse the walking by a trader.

We have 0 NPCs at our deed and people die at the token from fps plague.

Animations kill wurm at the moment but that isn't a negative to this post that's a whole nother barrel of proverbial fish. If it was, well we should have all booed braziers, wagons, fur rugs because they too will eat into fps as additional things to draw/animate. Optimization is needed for something like this but that doesn't necessarily debunk this idea as bad, just maybe a development for later.

• Like 1

Nope.

It does become our concern though since optimizing it probably won't be top priority. We already have items that kill fps like a lamp on a porch and those items have been like that for at least a year. I can see lots of people decorating their villages with NPCs in an attempt to fancy the place up and it'll result in players avoiding walking through their villages. For villages that are in a central placement where others HAVE to walk through them to get from A to B it will be completely devastating.

A guy was coming over some days ago for a trade and he stopped 60 or so tiles away from our village and said that he can't enter because of computer issues in our village. In our village we do not hoard creatures, wo do not have ten billion story houses and our streets aren't filled with clutter - Yet visitors have severe difficulties entering.

I would much rather prefer that existing features were looked upon before more fps killing features were introduced. Sure, they could spend time coding decorative NPCs - but for whom? The ones with 16GB RAM and Nvidia card? Because those are the ones that would enjoy them, the rest would stagger to death.

This is good to know. I have a high end machine so I've been oblivious of these types of issues. Thank you for describing just how bad it is for some people, it certainly makes me understand better those who auto-reject any new ideas. I think that if I'd been playing the game for a long time and had been waiting patiently for something to be done about the lag, I too would be frustrated by new idea posts which I'd feel would take focus off of what FIRST needs to be fixed. I totally get that. And as a new player, all excited about the game and gushing with ideas, it's easy to forget how it feels to be in your guys shoes. 

When I said "it's not the player's concern" - I worded it clumsily, sorry about that. I never meant that players don't have the right to be thinking about and to voice their concerns about technical problems as experiencers of those problems - my comments were more directed towards people who were making assumptions about what can and cannot be done with the game technically and who were auto-rejecting things as if they were deciding on behalf of the devs: "Can't be done". And ok, even if they did have the inside scoop on what cannot currently be done, I still insist that it doesn't mean that it could not be solved somehow and it's no reason to reject new ideas.

FreeTineen said it well - lag and other technical issues are a different discussion since that argument could be used against pretty much any new idea. Then all we'd have is a Suggestions forum full of great ideas all being rejected because of this same reason. Doesn't really get us anywhere. 

If the devs see cool new ideas that people are excited about, surely this can only be a good thing for solving any technical issues the game currently has? At least if I were in their shoes I'd be thinking "Man oh man, we really gotta do something about A, B and C so we can get that stuff in!"

Edited by Malena
  • Like 1

If the devs see cool new ideas that people are excited about, surely this can only be a good thing for solving any technical issues the game currently has? At least if I were in their shoes I'd be thinking "Man oh man, we really gotta do something about A, B and C so we can get that stuff in!"

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/97559-pvp-characters-collision-detection/

• Like 1

Just because there is no one on a deed 24/7 or even 7 days a week dose not mean the deed is deserted.

building a guard tower is a sure fire way to have npc's around your deed/home, they even open and close doors, give the occasional wave etc...  feel free to slap one, or call out to them when you feel the need.

You can put gear on them and even kill them if you like.  Fully intractable npc's  -  already in game imo.

Both pve and pvp servers can currently do this.

Edited by lawurm
  • Like 1

We have 0 NPCs at our deed and people die at the token from fps plague.

Then honestly it's time for them to update.  I have a dinosaur computere, 2004, and my settings are on medium, and rarely do I get any noticeable issues with FPS.  If these noobs of yours are complaining about 20 fps, they need to suck it up and be realistic.  If they are indeed lagging out entirely they need to upgrade to a better system. 

Wurm is hardly taxing on any system, and it's not the devs job to tip-toe around every piece of dirt computer just so we can maintain player base, sorry but just no.

In any case, I support the idea for decoration npcs, they would be quite handy and fun.

• Like 1

Then honestly it's time for them to update.  I have a dinosaur computere, 2004, and my settings are on medium, and rarely do I get any noticeable issues with FPS.  If these noobs of yours are complaining about 20 fps, they need to suck it up and be realistic.  If they are indeed lagging out entirely they need to upgrade to a better system. 

Wurm is hardly taxing on any system, and it's not the devs job to tip-toe around every piece of dirt computer just so we can maintain player base, sorry but just no.

In any case, I support the idea for decoration npcs, they would be quite handy and fun.

I'm sorry to completely and horribly disagree with you but that is complete and utter guff. There is currently an issue with optimization with wurm, this is being looked into. I have a a machine that can run games such as Skyrim on maximum spec yet I have to play without animations in game because quite frankly the fps drop is a killer. Again this isn't a subject for this, we can't debunk ideas on the merit of another problem that needs to be readdressed. A little research on the forums will indicate that this isn't an uncommon problem. Again as I reiterated, this feature if people so want it would be good to come after said optimization.

Also, may I add. Chill :)

• Like 1

NPC's are fake. It's already annoying that the guards are fake :P

Sorry, but if that happens, the world will turn to a huge populated AI zone. Right now it is what it is, real, if it's quiet, it's because theres no one. If you hear footsteps, it's either someones, or an animal about to kill you.

Speaking of which, animals are NPC's. Keep some of those around. Fake humanoids, eugh.

• Like 4

I'm sorry to completely and horribly disagree with you but that is complete and utter guff. There is currently an issue with optimization with wurm, this is being looked into. I have a a machine that can run games such as Skyrim on maximum spec yet I have to play without animations in game because quite frankly the fps drop is a killer. Again this isn't a subject for this, we can't debunk ideas on the merit of another problem that needs to be readdressed. A little research on the forums will indicate that this isn't an uncommon problem. Again as I reiterated, this feature if people so want it would be good to come after said optimization.

Also, may I add. Chill :)

COME AT ME BRO!

• Like 1

These NPC's would do nothing but stand there/limited path options, potentially reduce the NPC animal count (which raises the question of if Merchant and Traders do as well even though they are placed by purchased deeds), and not actually provide/produce anything?

So window dressing?

As long as they are available only by way of RMT directly from Wurm's store and not by way of in-game coin, so their sale directly supports offsetting possible system overhead, can only be placed by premium deed owners on deeded land, the number per deed is limited by some mechanic like the tile per animal ratio, and go poof if that tile ever undeeds.

Sure, why not.

Otherwise, no please.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like the same result can be produced through human imagination, and it costs zero developer or computing resources.  Lets continue to populate it with our imaginary friends.

Edited by Rushy
  • Like 3

Sounds to me like the same result can be produced through human imagination, and it costs zero developer or computing resources. Lets continue to populate it with our imaginary friends.

Your right of course, but with that being said, I can imagine bridges already existing... So why are devs wasting there time? (That could be used for a LOT of things)

And Wox, I absolutely would love any of those. At least the bard/guards one - that would be sweet! Though I doubt we will ever see that in wurm.

To all the people claiming optimization issues.

IMAGINE A COW WITH A DIFFERENT SKIN.

Not game breaking, peoples computers will not explode, servers wont crash from it, etc.  thats all.

A cow serves a purpose, they dont.  It it was a graphics option that turns on and off yea thats cool only effect your end, but it wouldnt, as an NPC does need to be rendered, and have pathing code etc. and from suggestion it adds nothing to the game, atleast can milk and kill a cow.  And I wouldnt be allowed to turn it off as it would be NPC on the server.  Only people I want to see walking around a deed is Spirit templar and guards, you know useful things.

GFX option, no interaction, not even visible to others = cool

NPC on server = not cool.

Now if you were to say, I want to add AI to trolls or goblins and have them get attracted to abadoned deeds and set up camp and move in groups etc (not gonna happen)., I would say hell yea that sounds useful and could make PvE gameplay better.  But im not seeing benefit of decoration NPC in deeds.

Edited by Rushy
  • Like 1

A cow serves a purpose, they dont.  It it was a graphics option that turns on and off yea thats cool only effect your end, but it wouldnt, as an NPC does need to be rendered, and have pathing code etc. and from suggestion it adds nothing to the game, atleast can milk and kill a cow.  And I wouldnt be allowed to turn it off as it would be NPC on the server.  Only people I want to see walking around a deed is Spirit templar and guards, you know useful things.

GFX option, no interaction, not even visible to others = cool

NPC on server = not cool.

Now if you were to say, I want to add AI to trolls or goblins and have them get attracted to abadoned deeds and set up camp and move in groups etc (not gonna happen)., I would say hell yea that sounds useful and could make PvE gameplay better.  But im not seeing benefit of decoration NPC in deeds.

Thats exactly the benefit, decoration, like cutomizable avatars, dyable items, etc.

If you cant see the benefit in decorating, (redundantly) only for the looks, then we simply disagree on a fundamental level.   Still, there are no reasons to belive that an NPC would be any more taxing on the client/server than a mob, and it would provide CHOICE for the deed owner.  No downside for those who dont want to use them.

PS: Im having a really hard time understanding oposition to this incredibly harmless suggestion.

• Like 3

Thats exactly the benefit, decoration, like cutomizable avatars, dyable items, etc.

If you cant see the benefit in decorating, (redundantly) only for the looks, then we simply disagree on a fundamental level.   Still, there are no reasons to belive that an NPC would be any more taxing on the client/server than a mob, and it would provide CHOICE for the deed owner.  No downside for those who dont want to use them.

PS: Im having a really hard time understanding oposition to this incredibly harmless suggestion.

Rathgar, if you can't milk it like a cow, then it's useless apparently. 

This is my favorite line from above, "A cow serves a purpose, they dont."  What exactly does that mean that it doesn't serve a purpose?  I can see clear as day that it serves a purpose; to decorate your deed.  We have flower pots in the game, curbs, banners, flags, dye, colossus and many other things that ONLY serve the purpose of decoration.

I have an idea.  All the people who believe this serves no purpose, please petition riot to get rid of all the items I mentioned above.  If you can succeed in doing that, then maybe your argument will be taken seriously before you ruin it with your first sentence.  On a serious note, making such a fundamentally false conclusion and mistake is fallacy.

Your right of course, but with that being said, I can imagine bridges already existing... So why are devs wasting there time? (That could be used for a LOT of things)

And Wox, I absolutely would love any of those. At least the bard/guards one - that would be sweet! Though I doubt we will ever see that in wurm.

Bridges have a function.

Decoration npcs do not.

This is my favorite line from above, "A cow serves a purpose, they dont."  What exactly does that mean that it doesn't serve a purpose?  I can see clear as day that it serves a purpose; to decorate your deed.  We have flower pots in the game, curbs, banners, flags, dye, colossus and many other things that ONLY serve the purpose of decoration.

Those all are the result of players using their skills to create them, or gather them from the wild.. These decoration npcs I assume will be bought(Unless you want to have random serf npcs roaming the land that you enslave and force to be a decoration on your deed). The only "decorations" that can only be obtained by purchasing them are small/large magical chests, and magical chests have a unique function, I doubt people buy them for how they look.

The issue with more npcs, is that wurm is a game where everything is playerbuilt and all the people you see are players.

The only exceptions are Guards that exist to control land because people cant play 24/7, traders that exist to distribute money, and merchants  that exist because people cant be on 24/7 and trading would be difficult without them.( And bartenders that help newbies)

Npc's I can think of that can work, maybe.

Beggar,  Karma to giver and maybe some iron to owner.

Messenger,  to deliver messages (emotes) just for fun.

Musician, plays a tune at random or when you want.

Servant, can hold food/drink, acts like a container.

Jester,  probably annoying as hell :)

Guards (full plate) as a gate with halberds crossed , acts just like a gate and you can attach a gate lock on em :)

Bridge guard , you need to pay to cross. :/  eh maybe not

and probably some more.

Nice ideas.  NPCs like this could be fun to have around.  There should be some limits on numbers though and on deeds only.  I'd also hate to see them cutting into the overall server numbers on mobs, but maybe if they're a part of the deed animal ratio, then people can decide if they want an npc or another horse, etc. Their choice and no harm done to anyone else.

I had just an idea that won't blow up low-end computers, and idea that its free and that we have already in game.

Statues!

Start making statues around your deed, put them names!, talk to them! you can have children populating your town too!

Because, am I the only one that see this as an incredible sad suggestion?

We have already armies of alts, towns that are run by just one person and his alts, which is already a depressing thought to remember.

Now imagine this:

You starts to play Wurm alone, only with the help of our trusty wiki and the knowledge that you gain from the tutorial.

After getting out of the starter town of your choice, you decide to explore by following a big and long road, looking for a good place to build your first settlement, and try some skills that you read at the wiki

Then you came across your first player-made town, and you see like there is a lot of people in there, you decide to come closer to the town, and have a look at it.

As you come close to the town and you take a better look at the first person you see in a wooden building, you read in local " 'ello just doin' some smithing" while hammering something on an anvil.

You decide to explore a little more the town, as its gates are open and inviting. Inside the town there seems to be a lot of people and a lot of noise, this people seems to be working on various things, while other seems to be just enjoying the weather.

Now you come close to a big brick house, with flower pots, an a lot of what seems to be brass lamps, and there is a pen right beside house, with some animals, and you spot a person near the pen gate, with what looks like a cane.

Then what you guess is a shepherd waves at you, and you read in local "Hi...", then she continues to stare at a wall.

Next you decide to take a look at that tall building that is at the other side of the road. Near that tower and between a pair of large unused carts.

You find another person, a tailor, working with his needle on something.

Then the tailor stops, stares at you and says "Hi and welcome traveler! don't forget to check the wares of our trader at the south gate", then he starts working again with his needle.

Then you decide to get out of that town, you saw enough of it, and you keep your travel following the same main road while thinking "This is just a sad game".

ps: I'm bored, and this just seems very sad and depressing for a mmo.

• Like 1

I had just an idea that won't blow up low-end computers, and idea that its free and that we have already in game.

Statues!

Start making statues around your deed, put them names!, talk to them! you can have children populating your town too!

We have already armies of alts, towns that are run by just one person and his alts, which is already a depressing thought to remember.

Now imagine this:

You starts to play Wurm alone, only with the help of our trusty wiki and the knowledge that you gain from the tutorial.

After getting out of the starter town of your choice, you decide to explore by following a big and long road, looking for a good place to build your first settlement, and try some skills that you read at the wiki

Then you came across your first player-made town, and you see like there is a lot of people in there, you decide to come closer to the town, and have a look at it.

As you come close to the town and you take a better look at the first person you see in a wooden building, you read in local " 'ello just doin' some smithing" while hammering something on an anvil.

You decide to explore a little more the town, as its gates are open and inviting. Inside the town there seems to be a lot of people and a lot of noise, this people seems to be working on various things, while other seems to be just enjoying the weather.

Now you come close to a big brick house, with flower pots, an a lot of what seems to be brass lamps, and there is a pen right beside house, with some animals, and you spot a person near the pen gate, with what looks like a cane.

Then what you guess is a shepherd waves at you, and you read in local "Hi...", then she continues to stare at a wall.

Next you decide to take a look at that tall building that is at the other side of the road. Near that tower and between a pair of large unused carts.

You find another person, a tailor, working with his needle on something.

Then the tailor stops, stares at you and says "Hi and welcome traveler! don't forget to check the wares of our trader at the south gate", then he starts working again with his needle.

Then you decide to hang out at that town, seeing enough of it to enjoy the busy sounds of work.  As you start gathering materials outside the settlement you think to yourself, "This is such an awesome game!"

ps: I'm bored, and this just seems very sad and depressing for a mmo.

Fixed for clarity.  Previous post was too much one-sided speculation, so I felt the need, if not the requirement, to make this more balanced and truthful. :)

Edited by Slickshot

Fixed for clarity.  Previous post was too much one-sided speculation, so I felt the need, if not the requirement, to make this more balanced and truthful. :)

Ofcourse is one-sided, I say it right here:

You may want to re-read more carefully what I say earlier buddy. And that part of "truthful" is as much one-sided as my previous post, you may want to check that too.

Oh, I almost forgot to say that, when I started to play Wurm almost a year ago, I was very very sad when I found out that everyone and their dog have alts, and that they are half the population that you see in-game.

Edited by Alec
  • Like 1