Sign in to follow this  
Miniroll

Saw this on Reddit, ah I do love wurm xD

True for software development in general.

• Like 2

Annoying geek mode : It's sad that people with great talent lack the self-organization and control ability needed to write quality software without 9999 bugs. What really distinguishes the good software from the crap we see 99% of the cases, is people who have a clean house, car, do their dishes and laundry etc, generally people who like to have "order" in their surroundings.

Show me a code set free from bugs, I'll show you the "hello world" script.  Even "perfect code" can break between two computer systems that should be identical.

People seem to forget, an application's code could actually be (in theory) 100% "bug free", until a system driver, OS, other called resource or hardware configuration, changes and breaks their code.  Not even console platforms remain unchanged any longer, you know.. those SDK/firmware changes that sometimes break games or functionality?

But for the sake of humor, an oldie but goodie..

Java - Code once, debug everywhere.

For those who don't know, the original sales pitch for Java was:  "Code once, run everywhere"

Edited by Hussars

Just for the shake of debating:

You only tackled the issue of portability. This does not fall under the "bug" definition. Excuse me but if a driver changes and your software depends on the driver to get the right data from an I/O device, then it's not the softwares problem that it wont function but it's an incompatibility issue. If someone messes up the OS's FIle System permissions and your software cant read/write files, thats also not the softwares problem. What the software is responsible of doing about your portability topic, is be sure to properly check the environment before executing and handle exception conditions during execution for fail tolerance and self - healing. 

I totally disagree with the term "Run once, debug everywhere". People that need to use the debugger in Java when writting their software are not to be called developers, they are amateurs. A developer with strong understanding of decoupling design patterns like IOC, proper refractoring and testing ( unit, functional , integration ), will never need to use the debugger. And there are no excuses "but I don't have time to write unit tests". 

Things used to be really bad some decades ago when OOP was still in its beggining and development methologies like TDD were not yet invented. Those days are long gone. The debugger in a modern virtualized environment is a "species" most professionals never interact with. 

I have no intention to flame you Hussars but your post reminds me of the excuses some really terrible collegues in work bring up when their software fails to meet quality standards. Computers are not natural evil that want to mess up developers heads. It's just that most people who calls themselves developers nowadays, don't understand that they are still at apprentice level.

Debuggers are for losers

And I'm not the only one saying it as it seems:

http://accelerateddevelopment.blogspot.com/2012/07/debuggers-are-for-losers.html

Edited by Issle

... you missed the point of my statement based on what appears to be a biased view that I'm defending shoddy code practices.

your link says the same thing, defects are unintentional effects from lack of understanding potential input errors.

In modern coding, you can do everything right, and a resource you have no control over, such as OS based reference libraries, can change and break your code.

that is not making excuses, that is a simple (and often painful) reality. you can try to plan around known changes, but some companies like to change things without warning.

also notice, i never said to use or rely on debugger systems, just that java once claimed they wanted to be able to be written once, and run on almost any platform. what happened was the exact opposite.

This embedded software tester is keeping far far away from this conversation. :D

This embedded software tester is keeping far far away from this conversation. :D

lol, it's QA, quick, get them!