Sign in to follow this  
Archaegeo

Now that we have Flatten and Level, give us Break (mines)

IMHO the devs should be doing everything they can (and have been, the crafting window is a great example) to make interfacing with the game more enjoyable or at least not tedious without removing the difficulty and time factor.

There is zero reason to not have a Break Up, Break Forward, Break down, and Break Tunnel commands that take the same time as doing it manually, but mine a face until it breaks (assuming you pause after each swing for stamina recovery)

Don't say it would make botting easier, people can already bot mining if they want as is. 

The game should be doing everything it can to reduce interface tedium.

The game should do everything it can to promote active play, not inactive play.

I would be ok with promoting active play, but hitting m or click mine 46 times starting at a wall is NOT active play and doesn't encourage new players to hang around and become paying players.

-1. You are going for inactive play, if you are trying to actively mine a tunnel, then you are actively trying to mine a tunnel, you want something, be active and get it. :D Same thing with, RUN AND GET SWOLL LEGS BRO.

+ with that, some of us speed miners would feel useless if someone can just sit there and watch a movie.

So you think flatten and level are horrible commands as well, sigh.

We want the game to thrive and grow, last night across all server were 1000 people logged on.  Who know how many were alts, and how few were truly new players.

We want the game to thrive and grow, last night across all server were 1000 people logged on.  Who know how many were alts, and how few were truly new players.

There is an inherent difference between level and what your suggesting.  Flatten doesn't really accomplish that much on it's on, when most people use flatten it's usually to flat-raise which requires an active component of dropping dirt.  Level on the other hand requires activity, you'd need to drag and drop dirt into your inventory or out of your inventory.  What your suggesting though is to hit the break button and come back an hour later to see someones 9600 str door gone.

I don't think you truly understand the consequences of this, but as someone who lives on epic and has already experienced an enemy breaking down 90+QL mine doors I can truly appreciate the effort required in them doing that.  What your proposing would allow me to invade an enemy kingdom while the inhabitants are offline and set four accounts bashing mine doors while I actively pick locks on my main.

Hell, I wouldn't even really need to be there, I could equip an alt with no gear and a 50QL large maul, do to one of the many off deed mine doors while the owners were offline, hit break and go to sleep.  I'm sure by the time someone comes by to kill my alt their door will be dead anyways.

With the slight chance for a fail and total cavein within a tile radius. B)

With the slight chance for a fail and total cavein within a tile radius. B)

Wow, that sounds epic, no need for shaker orbs and mag priests if I can keep making a very low QL mine door, place it, break it, and have a chance of a cave-in.

Except you'll be trapped in the cavein. Whether or not the tile ur on collapses is up for debate.

EDIT: Been sealed off a few times underground in the past from tiles collapsing. More so in the old days. Helps to pack a compass... sometimes theres no other way to figure out which way is out.

Edited by Klaa

Usually you take the number of players and divide it buy two, that is the calculation made for most MMO's.

As to the idea, nope.

-1. You are going for inactive play, if you are trying to actively mine a tunnel, then you are actively trying to mine a tunnel, you want something, be active and get it. :D Same thing with, RUN AND GET SWOLL LEGS BRO.

+ with that, some of us speed miners would feel useless if someone can just sit there and watch a movie.

What cause you can't watch a movie and mine fast?

This is why Wurm will never move forward. Cause we're too stuck on the grindfest mentality. Yeah i said more or less the same about level, now when it was bugged, i was going crazy doing things the old way.

If you want active play, make it active, pressing a key once or a few times, then watching a timer unfold isn't active. Wurm is so "not active" that it allows people to play several characters at once, and watch a movie at the same time. I sure do. And no, don't use macros or anything else. Just nifty screen arrangement and some time loss when i need to move a character around.

this i think is the most important part of the suggestion every time you have to right click sub menu anything its horrible YES you can make a  Key bind to mine with but most new players will give up befor they figure this out since there is a Key bind option already available i don't see why at the very least there is not a repeat last action available in the ui that is clickable 

Edited by islixana

There is an inherent difference between level and what your suggesting.  Flatten doesn't really accomplish that much on it's on, when most people use flatten it's usually to flat-raise which requires an active component of dropping dirt.  Level on the other hand requires activity, you'd need to drag and drop dirt into your inventory or out of your inventory.  What your suggesting though is to hit the break button and come back an hour later to see someones 9600 str door gone.

I don't think you truly understand the consequences of this, but as someone who lives on epic and has already experienced an enemy breaking down 90+QL mine doors I can truly appreciate the effort required in them doing that.  What your proposing would allow me to invade an enemy kingdom while the inhabitants are offline and set four accounts bashing mine doors while I actively pick locks on my main.

Hell, I wouldn't even really need to be there, I could equip an alt with no gear and a 50QL large maul, do to one of the many off deed mine doors while the owners were offline, hit break and go to sleep.  I'm sure by the time someone comes by to kill my alt their door will be dead anyways.

I think he means break for cave walls, not doors... Like in those 50 actions you need to undertake to expand your mine.

I for one don't think this would be the best idea, but then Wurm is kinda limited by its own core flaws (most of which drevied from being built in a different time).

Edited by KanePT

And you realize right that people mine this way already, it is very easy to do by just using autohotkey or even a programmable mouse.

And they do it because there is ZERO interaction required other than to hit m 45+ times.  That is not a game, that is a bad game mechanic.

So your reasons are either:

1) The current mechanic is bad, so lets replace it with something even worse!

or

2) Some people macros anyway, so lets make macroing a game mechanic.

Edited by Pwent

-1, No game automation please. The only thing worse than people going AFK during actions would be the game actively encouraging players to do so. Let's not have it that way.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

IMHO the devs should be doing everything they can (and have been, the crafting window is a great example) to make interfacing with the game more enjoyable or at least not tedious without removing the difficulty and time factor.

There is zero reason to not have a Break Up, Break Forward, Break down, and Break Tunnel commands that take the same time as doing it manually, but mine a face until it breaks (assuming you pause after each swing for stamina recovery)

Don't say it would make botting easier, people can already bot mining if they want as is. 

If that was put in the game, it would have to have the same reduced ql and skill gains that level has or maybe even worse ones.

If you have a buddy, 2 miners = 1/2 the actions and time.