Sign in to follow this  
Geddingwood

Make Rare Ingredients Less Worthless

Premise:  I've made a great many rare/supreme/fantastic items in my history in Wurm, but only once have I ever managed to make a finished rare item (a rare small barrel), and it was through improving.  Rare ingredients (such as planks, bricks, ribbons, etc) seem to have exactly zero impact on your ability to make a rare item (I base this on the fact that none of the 20-30some rare+ items I've made have resulted in a rare item when combined).  As a result I generally have a bunch of rare items decaying in my cart because I have no use for them (and they are worthless to other players).  When I do get around to using them, I get nothing out of it.

Suggestion:  I suggest raising the chance of making a rare item from a rare ingredient to 25% (edit: maybe 10% based on other's suggestions) from whatever it is now.  I also suggest that using two rare items as the initial combination should give you a 40-50% (edit: 20%?) chance to transfer that rareness to the finished item.  This will decrease my urge to throw rare planks and bricks on the ground (not that I ever do that, but this is an emotion I'd like mitigated if at all possible).

Edited by Geddingwood
  • Like 2

I'd say 25% is a little too much. Maybe a 4-5% more like and then 10-13% for using two rare materials. With your rates, we'd soon be swimming in rare stuff, which would then push down the market prices for rare stuff, by alot, when they already are (depending on item) cheap.

Other than the numbers, yes I do feel like this needs to be improved and the fact that when you get a rare chance, failure is not an option and should always result in success.

Rare ingredients are far from worthless, I enjoy the 99% nutrition I get.

Rare should be more rare, not less rare.

Recently it is no longer a 100% chance to get rare on a rare roll when harvesting, which is nice. Don't ruin it.

I think it should be 10-15% to make rare item from rare ingredients and 20 % to create rare item when finishing item with rare item.

Recently it is no longer a 100% chance to get rare on a rare roll when harvesting, which is nice. Don't ruin it.

I guess I don't see the connection between what I'm suggesting and something being "ruined."  And yes, you can sacrifice them, but logically a rare ingredient should be used to make something.  And when making that thing, the rare ingredient should count.  I've heard that it does affect your chance of making a rare, but I've yet to see any evidence of that. 

To put it more simply:    Making something with a rare ingredient should give you a DECENT chance of making a rare finished/unfinished item.  Which it doesn't, currently.

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Shrimpiie, March 9, 2014 - Removed - Duplicate post
Hidden by Shrimpiie, March 9, 2014 - Removed - Duplicate post

derp, double post

Edited by Ganken

Saccing is far from worthless, and I think this would make rares too easy to obtain.

Saccing is far from worthless, and I think this would make rares too easy to obtain.

The number of people daily selling new rare items makes your point invalid.

Rares were a nice idea, but like many things in wurm, implementation was poor, and exploitability high.

I am just saying that your suggestions will make rares too common.

I agree that there are too many useless rares in the game though, so how about we just remove rare ingredients for example, and give people a reason to cook again?

-1, simply because your numbers would make rares far far more common, worse than they were before when rare-rolls were at the start of the action. PERHAPS if the 1% chance was bumped up to 2.5% or so, but 25? Everything I own would be rare very quickly indeed lol. I get a ton of rare logs, rock shards, and ore, so rares would become the new norm for many of us...

Edited by Arronicus

-1, there's a reason why an item is considered rare. No need to make it easier at all. If it gets easier to create rare items we might as well have a name change to semi-rare or uncommon

-1 Rares are already abundant enough imo, and don't need making any easier to get.

What if we removed the odds of making an item randomly rare through standard imping - which makes little sense to me - and make it so rare materials have a higher chance of passing on their rarity? So if you wanted a rare longsword you'd have to go mine until you got some rare iron, then make or improve the longsword 'till it got rare.

Could decrease the odds of getting rare raw materials if needed. So overall same rate of rarity as present, only a more logical way of doing things which would actually make rare materials useful.

" selling rares 2s each "

that's what is going to happen

Rare = Rare

-1, simply because your numbers would make rares far far more common, worse than they were before when rare-rolls were at the start of the action. PERHAPS if the 1% chance was bumped up to 2.5% or so, but 25? Everything I own would be rare very quickly indeed lol. I get a ton of rare logs, rock shards, and ore, so rares would become the new norm for many of us...

Isn't that what it should be, though?  A second tier (and third for fantastic, etc) of items that people work towards and eventually becomes the norm for your character?  In old games like UO, at first no one had the grandmaster-crafted weapons, then some did, and then it became a norm.  And it encouraged more new additions to the game to further personalize weapons and such.  The grandmaster weapons didn't really decrease in value, but did become easier to find.  It took work (just like getting all rare equipment would) but it felt good once you attained it.  

But that's not the main point of the argument...I just want the rare planks to be less useless.  I did like the suggestion someone above made of just completely removing rare ingredients.  That would make sense, so that only finished items can become rare and the only way to get them is by pure luck while creating or imping.  I feel like the "rare" tag on a pile of dirt is just a teaser, saying "use me, use me, maybe you'll get something rare" but then not actually having a chance of that happening.  Last night I built an oven with ingredients including 8 rare bricks, and a fantastic clay.  It came out plain.  To me, that's wrong.  It should have at least come out rare with all that rare material applied. :/

Rare = Rare

You -1 everything.  :P   I really doubt that would happen.  There will always be a demand for rares.  Newbies will always play the game.  People will lose items.  People will get good at new skills and need different rares.  Cars didn't exactly get cheap when everyone decided that they needed one.

Rare = Rare

2s for stuff and things would be a decent amount of money.

+1 to OP

◵‿◵

Edited by AlexLong

Somehow it seems silly that quality materials are seen as food rather than more useful things to make stuff with.

But that's not the main point of the argument...I just want the rare planks to be less useless. 

I'd be a lot more favourable to them receiving their own beneficial attributes. Let them increase the QL of the item they are attached to by more than normal, when they are used, for example. This would be useful for most of them, considering even rare dirt would be useful for making better coal piles. 

• Like 2

I'd be a lot more favourable to them receiving their own beneficial attributes. Let them increase the QL of the item they are attached to by more than normal, when they are used, for example. This would be useful for most of them, considering even rare dirt would be useful for making better coal piles. 

I'd be down with that.

I think he is onto something. Would not change the fact that rares are rare (no rare spam), but rare mats would be more useful for other than saccing. Also, maybe keep the same chance for turning the item into rare? So better ql and a higher than normal chance to turn into rare(the default that is now)?

Just my 2 cents

Edited by Argustin
  • Like 1