Sign in to follow this  
Archon

Tempering vs Quenching

This is an incredibly minor issue, but my OCD will let it be silent no longer I am afraid!

Not to get into the metallurgical minutia of tempering or anything, but in a nutshell (and as far as the current game mechanics are concerned) tempering is the process of heating the metal... when we dip the metal in water, we are quenching it.

So, like I said... this is an earth-shattering revelation that has the potential to rock the very foundation of heaven itself, but when improving I believe it should be called "quenching" when we need to apply water.

Flame (or temper) away.

• Like 1

It feels like an almost completely irrelevant thing to update at this point, but I guess using the correct words to describe the desired action would make it a bit more intuitive (at least for those a bit of familiar with the smithing). Though I've never heard of anyone being confused and dropping their sword back into the forge upon being prompted to temper their tool, I guess the insignificance of the change might justify it. Worst consequence of changing the action name from "temper" to "quench" is that a few wiki articles might have to be rewritten.

• Like 1

+1 might be relevant if smithing is ever expanded in scope/complexity

+1 and add tempering to forges and make them a tool required for improvement. That way smiths are permanently chained to them.  :D (just kidding please don't)

Edited by Stonesolid

I think its fine like it is and could care less for any changes truthfully.  Its simple and it works....

I mean I guess this could be one of those little things that someone gets around to at some point, it doesn't hurt I guess.

+1

+1 and add tempering to forges and make them a tool required for improvement.

Seems reasonable to me. +1 to using forges for improvement.

Also, had to look this up, seems OP is right; tempering is re-heating the metal after it has been quenched (cooled) with water.

If they're going to fix this though, what about a vs an? As an ESL teaching assistant, this drives me up the wall. A(n) aged horse grazes. And so on. And so on.

Edited by Arronicus
  • Like 2

Seems reasonable to me. +1 to using forges for improvement.

Also, had to look this up, seems OP is right; tempering is re-heating the metal after it has been quenched (cooled) with water.

If they're going to fix this though, what about a vs an? As an ESL teaching assistant, this drives me up the wall. A(n) aged horse grazes. And so on. And so on.

+1 , it drives me crazy too.

So who's gonna change all the guides ect that have it called tempering :P

Find and replace.

• Like 1

No-one, most likely. We don't have large axes anymore in Wurm, (though the skill remains) yet when I fixed the wiki to reflect that large axes are now called axes, including updating all the axe head pages, and entries regarding large axes, to be accurate, it was reverted back to the old, and now incorrect information.

No-one, most likely. We don't have large axes anymore in Wurm, (though the skill remains) yet when I fixed the wiki to reflect that large axes are now called axes, including updating all the axe head pages, and entries regarding large axes, to be accurate, it was reverted back to the old, and now incorrect information.

Hmm, I actually didn't even know that. I thought the 2h axes still were considered large axes. >:o