Sign in to follow this  
Archon

Please Close, Thanks

*Name removed* stole a boat, attempted to sell it back, then today stole yet another boat from the Garden of Shadows.  When he did this, he was set to alliance wide KoS.

After this he returned and stole a third boat "Blonde Moment"... (side note: If you find this floating around, please return to Doriath or Garden of Shadows for 50c reward)

Just a head's up... we're west of Blossom, but he's probably moving now.

(I was just told that apparently "name and shame" is against the rules... even though "boat stealing douche" is not, so feel free to edit the title or whatever, admins)

Edited by Archon

How did he steal the boats? If they were not locked and moored its not against the rules to take them.

• Like 1

You need to protect your items.  Anything not secured is available for anyone to take.   This is not considered "Thief" by the game rules.

• Like 1

Thanks there, GM!  If you will notice, I shared this with the community, and offered a reward for the return.  It's a complex game, and rather new players may not immediately be aware that every single thing needs to be absolutely on lock down or some jack hole can steal it.

Where I live, in game, we don't tolerate theft... and we don't blame the person that was stolen from, we blame the thief.  

Edited by Archon
  • Like 1

if you give someone a chance to take advantage of you.. it will happen sooner or later.

it cannot be called stealing if you didnt secure it properly.

If you let others  use it, you need to be prepared to also lose it.

• Like 1

it cannot be called stealing if you didnt secure it properly.

This is an absolute falsehood.  Just because it's not against the game rules doesn't mean it's not stealing.  It's taking something that doesn't belong to you.

If you rocket scientists notice, this isn't me whining on a /support ticket, I'm reporting (to the Pristine community) that we have someone taking things that don't belong to them, the name of the item, and that there is a reward for its return.

Every "rule" here protects the little turd who took something that wasn't his, including the "name and shame thing".

So, please, instead of irritating me further, please just ignore the thread (especially if you play on some other server), thank you.

Edited by Archon
  • Like 3

What kind of boats are we talking about? 

What kind of boats are we talking about? 

The one that is missing is just a row boat, but it was made for a friend and she wants it back.  It's more the principle of the matter.  Could probably buy a new one for 50c, but whatever.

The other ones, I do not know.  Garden of Shadows is a haven for new players, and they don't all know that everything has to have a lock on it.

Well i had seen an olivewood sailboat without any locks by the first big round island the other day is why i asked. 

[12:56:55] A small sailing boat that will accommodate five people. It is made from olivewood. You must use a file to smooth out the small sailing boat in order to improve it. Ql: 10.12022, Dam: 9.881207. The name of the owner, Cannabibles, has been etched in the stern.

If it is not locked down, I dont think you can call him a "thief", nor blame anyone but yourself. Creating a boatlock and adding it is not really rocket science and if you are on the freedom cluster as it seems to be, even a 1 QL lock will do.

Dont get me wrong though, it is not fun when this happens to anyone, and I am sorry this happened to you, but blaming people for taking a unlocked boat doesnt work. I have a villager that was labelled a thief because he found some arrows on the ground in a forest with no one near and took them. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and even though he took items not belonging to him, preventing it would have just been a matter of lighting the forge and creating a single lock and attach it.

As a vice mayor of a new player deed, I think telling a newbie in a "newbie haven" who spent hours if not days on creating a boat to also make a boatlock is not that difficult. The "newbies dont know it right away" argument can be used for any scenario. "It is unfair that a newbie died to a hellhound cause they dont know they cant take a hellhound". "It is unfair that a newbie gets flagged as criminal for picking sprouts on anothers deed and get killed by templars cause they dont know it yet".

In fact, for all we know it was a newbie who took the boat and because he is new "didnt know that you cant just take any boats". See, that logic can also be used for the "thief" ;)

Also telling people to piss off for pointing out a common and important part of gameplay doesnt really make you look like the righteous party either from a neutral readers perspective :) I think you can pretty much expect these answers when making a post like this

Edited by Viti
  • Like 2

If I was a noobie with nothing and I saw an easier method of travel, I'd have taken your boat too.

I assume unlocked boats are old and abandoned.

Well i had seen an olivewood sailboat without any locks by the first big round island the other day is why i asked. 

[12:56:55] A small sailing boat that will accommodate five people. It is made from olivewood. You must use a file to smooth out the small sailing boat in order to improve it. Ql: 10.12022, Dam: 9.881207. The name of the owner, Cannabibles, has been etched in the stern.

Lmao! That's my old sail boat. I didn't have an anchor for it so I just left it :P Interesting to see where it went.

Lmao! That's my old sail boat. I didn't have an anchor for it so I just left it :P Interesting to see where it went.

It is still there by Bloodmoon Keep in the SE if you want it back

You're getting pretty bent out of shape over losing something so small. It can be replaced - perhaps if you were nice about your responses, people in this thread could get together to help you replace what has been lost.

The other ones, I do not know.  Garden of Shadows is a haven for new players, and they don't all know that everything has to have a lock on it.

That would be the failure of the teacher, as much as the student: Some boat related Wurmpedia pages, every in game boat tutorial, and every person who has ever owned a boat will tell you the same thing. Lock it or lose it.

We've all been here at one point. We all got angry. We all learned from it. We all moved on. Take it as a learning experience, never trust the person who ripped you off again and remember to lock everything important.

If you can't do that, there's nothing anybody here can do for you.

Edited by Dairuka

For those that still don't get it:

1.  This isn't a plea to the GMs.

2.  This isn't an accusation of someone "breaking the game rules" (see number 1)

3.  Someone took something that didn't belong to them... while this isn't against the game rules, this person is still by definition a thief.

4.  If you happen to run across the boat, we'd like it back. 

5.  If you bring the boat back, we will pay you.

Thank you for your time.

Apples to oranges, the analogy about finding arrows on the ground, and taking a third boat after finding out people weren't happy about the first two.

• Like 1

Could also say: The fact that the other boats werent immediately locked/secured after the first and he had the opportunity to get not one, but 2 more doesnt seem like a really smart move either.

My point of the "finding arrows in a forest" analogy was: who decides when something is stealing and finding? The original owner of the arrows wasnt too happy either. For who decides what, in wurms case, I would say it is the game rules, and the game rules say anything unlocked can be taken.

That it collides with your own sense of right and wrong, understandable. In some cultures you can get jailed for giving the "thumbs up" sign to someone. It is all about perception and perception is all in the eyes of the beholder.

"When in rome, live as they do in Rome. When elsewhere, live as they do elsewhere". In this case, it is wurm, and the wurm rules define what is ok and what is not. Wurm is a survival game, and not Utopia online. Cant blame people for pointing out the obvious, even when you do not agree.

Sorry for this post, I was not planning on going on, but when someone replies to something I wrote, it is only logic that I reply to that too ;)

Just to add: I sincerely hope someone brings your boats back, and if you were on my server, I would have hunted down these boats for you myself! It is nothing personal ;)

Edited by Viti
  • Like 1

Sorry for this post, I was not planning on going on, but when someone replies to something I wrote, it is only logic that I reply to that too ;)

Please don't apologize, I understand your point; but my point is, I like to know if there are people around that I really wouldn't want as neighbors. If I shoot arrows in the woods and then don't spend the time to find all of them, and someone else finds them, then I wouldn't be offended. But if I leave out some large vehicle that obviously took a long time to build, and it's parked in some sensible place to park it, a person who'd take it is not someone I want to have as a neighbor. I don't like how the lock system works for carts, for example. I don't want everyone I've ever added to my friends list to be able to get in my carts, but also I hate digging out a key every time I want to open a cart, and don't want good friends having to carry the weight of a key in their inventory for each cart and having to dig them out also. I mean there's "finders keepers," and then there's "I know someone values this, but I'm going to take it anyway because they screwed up." Yes, the rules allow it, and I wouldn't say to ban their account if they're within the rules, but I don't want them anywhere near me.

• Like 1

Please don't apologize, I understand your point; but my point is, I like to know if there are people around that I really wouldn't want as neighbors. If I shoot arrows in the woods and then don't spend the time to find all of them, and someone else finds them, then I wouldn't be offended. But if I leave out some large vehicle that obviously took a long time to build, and it's parked in some sensible place to park it, a person who'd take it is not someone I want to have as a neighbor. I don't like how the lock system works for carts, for example. I don't want everyone I've ever added to my friends list to be able to get in my carts, but also I hate digging out a key every time I want to open a cart, and don't want good friends having to carry the weight of a key in their inventory for each cart and having to dig them out also. I mean there's "finders keepers," and then there's "I know someone values this, but I'm going to take it anyway because they screwed up." Yes, the rules allow it, and I wouldn't say to ban their account if they're within the rules, but I don't want them anywhere near me.

Oh, I fully understand this. Also I am quite sure that this particular person was trying to be a *bleep* by taking the other two boats too after you guys were voicing your displeasure to him.  However, I also feel if you choose the "no hassle" road, you can kind of expect this to happen at some point and have to calculate that in. It is a choice you make, either take the easy route and risk sometimes getting victimized, or do it the hard way, especially if you feel it is so invaluable to you, and be safe. Bike insurers in RL dont pay out anything either if you cant show both original lock keys and show you did everything in your power to prevent it, for example. I myself too wouldnt have liked it if it happened to a friend, and I seen several occasions of this happening. This is why I like epic so much; you can go out and exact your revenge threefold ;)

The main reason I stated my opinion so boldly is because even though I can see the reason to everything you said, you can expect things like this to happen, and although it is annoying but not unrecoverable,  it doesnt give the thread starter any reason to tell everyone that doesnt give an answer to his liking to "piss off" and being sarcastic. If he really wanted this thread to be all about stolen boats and rewards, he shouldnt have put so much emphasize on the doucheyness of the thief or the "turdiness of the rules" etc, lol. In my opinion he could expect people to give "game rule" answers and if little things like this irritate him so much, maybe he shouldnt have made this thread, or let someone else with a more resilient attitude do it instead. 

Edited by Viti

The main reason I stated my opinion so boldly is because even though I can see the reason to everything you said, you can expect things like this to happen, and although it is annoying but not unrecoverable,  it doesnt give the thread starter any reason to tell everyone that doesnt give an answer to his liking to "piss off" and being sarcastic. If he really wanted this thread to be all about stolen boats and rewards, he shouldnt have put so much emphasize on the doucheyness of the thief or the "turdiness of the rules" etc, lol. In my opinion he could expect people to give "game rule" answers and if little things like this irritate him so much, maybe he shouldnt have made this thread, or let someone else with a more resilient attitude do it instead. 

So are you just going to keep on and on about your indignation with my post that is a community issue on a server you don't play on until I finally respond?

There, I did so, are you happy?  Keep quoting things I edited out after I composed myself too, that's not just straight up harassment or anything.

I am going on and on? I was just talking with Lorraine who seems very sensible and smart and I think he or she is a nice discussion partner and we can talk in a civilized manner even though our opinions might not connect fully.

Maybe it is an idea to compose yourself before posting, before you start calling me out for "harassment" simply for responding to replies to my post. You can edit your posts afterwards, but I replied to the original post , not the edited one. I am quite sure you are the only one seeing any of my posts as harassment. I think most of what I said made perfect sense and is done from a neutral perspective, even though you might not agree, doesnt mean I am not stating valid things :)

Like I said before, it is nothing personal. Just dont think telling people they irritate you because they state common sense and game rules makes people want to help you. Calling me out for harassing you when I am only responding to stuff you originally said, I think you might find my niece of 4 year old to be an excellent like-minded conversation partner.

I personally suggest to just calm down a bit. I will stay out of the thread for now, if it helps you calm down. All this stuff isnt worth the anger and stress it awakes ;)

Edited by Viti

Calling me out for harassing you when I am only responding to stuff you originally said, I think you might find my niece of 4 year old to be an excellent like-minded conversation partner.

You are a totally sweet troll, please ride my jock in any thread you want any time.

A+++ will read again.