Sign in to follow this  
wasntme

make chain and studded armor useful

At the moment it seems just about everyone is wearing  plate why not make chain and studded armor worth using also. And make more weapons  useful most are using are longsword as it is probably the best sword to use. we are all running around like clones really we need more variety.

Edited by wasntme

Increase dodge rate while wearing leather, also weight from what you are wearing should play a more vital part.

Where are all these people wearing plate?  Are you talking about Epic or Freedom.  I rarely see people in Plate on Freedom, I would love to get more plate sales.  

-1, leave it alone. I use chain and Leather on my toons and I'm perfectly happy with it.
It works well for PvE and I don't much care about PvP, maybe new types of Armor would be a better suggestion.

And make more weapons

+1

Edited by AlexLong
  • Like 1

im talking about anyone that does PVP it doesn't really affect freedom i guess just epic and maybe chaos.but still what im asking still stands.

• Like 1

I rarely see anyone in Plate on Chaos, that stuff is a tincan deathtrap. Mostly people are in Drake, and anyone that doesn't have Drake strolls around in Chain.

Do you have any idea about the amount of effort it takes to make plate?   It's a real pita.   For chain or leather you need very few skills.   For plate you need mining, coal making, metallurgy and plate smithing.    And all the skills have to be relatively high.  Added to that to get high ql steel you burn at least 20 kg of iron to make .4kg of high ql steel and it takes around 50 lumps of high ql steel to make a plates suit.  you are talking 1000 high ql iron to make.  Far more time and effort than chain or leather.  

Plate deserves its benefits for all the effort that goes into it's creation, not to mention that it does have disadvantages in movement compared to the other armor.   But yeah go ahead and make the plate even more irrelevant to the majority of wurm players than it already is. 

• Like 4

-1, leave it alone. I use chain and Leather on my toons and I'm perfectly happy with it.

It works well for PvE and I don't much care about PvP, maybe new types of Armor would be a better suggestion.

+1

You may be perfectly happy with leather and chain, but from a pvp perspective, they are simply not working options. This has led to blatant homogenization on epic, and is rather boring. Adding more armour types seems rather silly, when they could just rebalance weapons, attack speeds, and existing armour types, so that leather, studded, and chain are viable. 

Where are all these people wearing plate?  Are you talking about Epic or Freedom.  I rarely see people in Plate on Freedom, I would love to get more plate sales.  

Epic. Plate is a must for pvp, and most people you see riding around training combat skills where it too.

Do you have any idea about the amount of effort it takes to make plate?  

Yes, we are aware of the increased effort to make it, and the large sums of money made by high end plate armoursmiths, because the increased effort is irrelevant when it comes down to the advantage it provides. Plate deserves some benefits, yes, but it should not be the all-around-go-to-for-everything on Epic, and likely any other non-freedom server clusters they release. As for the speed disadvantage, this isn't considered a noteworthy factor when you have multiple horses, are fighting from boats, or deeded doors.

It seems to me that many freedom players simply don't want leather and chain rebalanced to be a viable pvp solution next to plate armour, simply because they already have a better option that is expected to be used.

That is my point though leather, studded, and chain are viable already, they just don't work for you!
I understand what you are saying but on freedom they are fine and don't need tweaking.

not to mention that it does have disadvantages in movement compared to the other armor. 

That is where my mind was with my -1
if you ask them to tweak it, they are going to also make it harder to move in and all that.

Anyway, what ever for PvP as it wont effect me, I'd just rather not see anything done to the freedom sets... :)

Edited by AlexLong

Yes, lets Buff Chain armor and Medium Mauls.   Of course I am Biased. 

Yes, we are aware of the increased effort to make it, and the large sums of money made by high end plate armoursmiths, because the increased effort is irrelevant when it comes down to the advantage it provides. Plate deserves some benefits, yes, but it should not be the all-around-go-to-for-everything on Epic, and likely any other non-freedom server clusters they release. As for the speed disadvantage, this isn't considered a noteworthy factor when you have multiple horses, are fighting from boats, or deeded doors.

Large sums?   I bought 2 sets of 80ql plate armor for 4s on epic not even a week ago from the forums.   Is 4s a lot?   Steel is available to anyway that wants to make it.   So plate is best for pvp, so what's the issue.   Leather and chain have their uses too as evidenced by the players on freedom that use it.    How does nerfing plate create any benefit?  

And seriously, if you have to pay for plate armor on a PVP server you are doing it wrong.   

• Like 2

wait I am supposed to charge alliance mates on wild for plate armour instead of giving it to them for free? 

PvE is stupidly easy and you can get by just fine with cloth if you really want to. Making arguments from a purely PvE perspective is missing the point a bit.

• Like 1

If everyone is using plate despite it being so hard to make it means that it probably has good andvantage/work ratio.

Before implementing horses plate was largely unpopular due to low mobility that could not complensate for the extra protection.

I belive that plate should maintain its protection but should be nerfed in other areas, for example, not being able to do archery while in plate.

i never said any thing about nerfing plate just make the other armors useful.and i do have the skill to make all the armor types studded  80+ ql plate and chain over 90 + ql.and plate really isnt that hard to make .updates can be done to epic and not even affect freedom.

Edited by wasntme

Alot of it is down to misunderstanding how armor works and glancing blows, even if the armor works fine and is glancing blow appropriately people focus on the actual hits which are not mitigated by the lesser armors as much as plate, making the damage mitigation closer and adjusting the glancing rates possibly downwards to compensate might work.  People forget how 4/5 blow glanced but focus on that huge hit that wrecks them.

So basically I dont trust the lighter armors as I dont really count how much stuff glances I just count how much health I lose after being hit.  And just to add in to the fact i beleive plate is very good against slash and pierce which are much more popular than blunt in PVP so its overall winner.  And horses mean the speed penalty doent really make it inconvenient, I mean if got no horse and they have your screwed no matter what you are wearing.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/93916-join-in-testing-the-new-fighting-tweaks/

edit Actually just looked back at the link and seem plate is only really strong against pierce (not slashing), but not sure if those values are even correct or are what is planned.

It would explain the very poor archery results against people in plate recently since changes.

Edited by Rushy

We need some armor piercing arrows or a slashing/crushing versions.  Or we need the easier to improve arrows suggestion implemented, making 80ql+ arrows isnt fun and you can shoot so many and never get past armor.  They still bring horses down a treat though, good job no plate barding :P

Edited by Rushy

Cross Bows.

Low rate of fire, Low Range.   Armor Piercing.

If you want to touch armor, you are better of reworking all the combat system, including balance.

If not just don't bother to start breaking more things, Vyn knows that I'm afraid of the new armor stats that is brewing at the moment.