Sign in to follow this  
Belfesar

Am i the only one?

I almost hope they succeed in their quest to remove all restrictions. I would gladly welcome the new influx of former Epic-Home players to Freedom with wide-open arms.

I imagine a fair number of us, myself included, would quit playing, should there be a large quitting/exodus of Epic-Home players. The funniest part about the latest thread, is it was started by a member of serenity who wants the CR penalty removed, not to be able to go out and raid their enemies, but so that enemies would come and raid their fortress. So, not only will he not go to elevation to pvp, but rather he wants it to come to his front doorsteps. 

As for something to REALLY get angry about, the Valrei events on epic, though we were told they have been patched and will no longer target deeds, still target player deeds, and can completely wipe them out into a bugged state, regardless of how much money, and time, you might have put into them. I'm all for raiders being able to destroy your work, people to steal or grief or destroy what you've built, but that events, which we're told shouldn't be happening, are still instantly decimating our hard work because of an already completely flawed (valrei) system? That's something to get mad about, IMO 

Whether it's 100 Euro stolen in a matter of hours, or two years of work destroyed in a matter of hours - you're just describing in unnecessary detail what I have already explained in earnest. In these games, time = money.

If you really want something to get angry about. There is still a large segment of the minority PvP crowd that is angry they aren't completely unrestricted (CR penalty) in their ability to assault homeland servers for the sake of promoting this self-cannibalizing style of game-play. Because they've all but driven off PvP on Elevation, they actually believe that by forcing others who don't want to PvP to PvP, is going to encourage PvP. It will, at first. Then after the victors are decided, it will just turn the Epic servers into a ghost town where only the victors remain. (Learn from history, otherwise you repeat it.)

I almost hope they succeed in their quest to remove all restrictions. I would gladly welcome the new influx of former Epic-Home players to Freedom with wide-open arms.

When Epic was first mentioned, there was a horde (no pun intended) of players wishing the game to go back to the way Beta was.  With full PVP and a scheduled map reset, or a way for players to force a reset (destroying lights, killing the wurm, 1 way portal to a new map etc). In beta there were several iterations of maps, which arguably brought back the majority of beta testers whenever the map reset.  The love of wurm doesn't die when your kingdom is whipped out.  Its the loss of money in the process and not wanting to continually dump money into the game to have a presence beyond premium payments.  If Rolf did away with micro-transactions and setup a way for players to drive new server creation/map resets... It would be a much more active PVP community, even without improving actual PVP mechanics.

So, while your argument that full PVP could kill the game could potentially come to fruition.  Resetting the maps have proven time and time again that previous players, who have sat idle, flock back to the game when they hear of a reset. (it happened in Gold 2 after the meltdown of the servers in Gold 1... I was one of them.)

But, we lost that possibility when the true dreams of Rolf's "Epic" wurm came into reality.  And the horde simply crept back into the forum shadows...

Resetting the maps have proven time and time again that previous players, who have sat idle, flock back to the game when they hear of a reset. (it happened in Gold 2 after the meltdown of the servers in Gold 1... I was one of them.)

Is it really worth tailoring the game to appease those who quickly get bored and leave each time, as opposed to the dedicated players who continue to support the game, when doing so might drive off many of the loyal players who want to continue to play on the maps they have invested so much time in? If I were Rolf, and AB, I'd want to appeal to the stable, reliable population, as opposed to the 'new thing' crowd.

Many of us have posted over the years complaining about Rolf's "vision" for Wurm.

Things I've never understood over the last 7-8 years:

Why 2 cotton fit in a satchel because of ridiculous volume yet 84 fillets (think that's the right) fit.
Why since the release of large carts the 4th person is half IN the cart looking at everyone's crotch.
Why when you use scissors to damage an unfinished net trap it GAINES QL.
Why when so many lovely suggestions have been made cooking is still insanely BORING.
Why since the LONG AGO release of large carts is there so many instances where you get "thrown off" and stuck. (Seven times this week and counting)
Why did it take 10 years for a large anvil to stop being a decoration?
Why is shield skill gain so utterly nerfed on freedom servers.
Why is the instant gratification increasing on Wurm to attract new players while frustrating those who did it the "hard" way for years?
Must agree farming is certainly nerfed, no matter how faithful you try and be there's always tiles that act as if you missed them and give reduced yield.
Why add epic missions to freedom, that was the whole purpose of EPIC being "born", to be unique.
Aren't drum rolls being moved a bit late? The abuse is already long since done.

On and on the list goes and always will.

Regarding income for Rolf, the increase after so many years was understandable. Yet like most things terribly implemented...you lost most of what you gained in people quitting and selling alts, can't be argued, check your graphs. An items mall with your basic trader items, adjusted in price would of hurt everyone far less and with far less backlash.

Eg: Rather then adding a sleep powder as a bonus make them 1E to begin with in shop.

It's a proven fact items malls are bigger and better earnings then VIP's, memberships, etc.

And my biggest question of all if you read nothing else of this post:

If there is 10,000 E to find a DDos attacker in the budget because it costs money when the game is not playable, is there NOTHING in the budget for advertising?

And WHY do we have PR people who blog for us as players rather then investing their PR skills into  getting Wurm known in the gaming communities? I'm not attacking the PR people, I'm attacking their waste of skills and time. PR people should be encouraged to USE their PR skills, not blogging updates, any CA, CM or GM could do that..

At one time I seriously thought that Wurm being greenlit on Steam would be a tragedy.  After getting to know the steam community and seeing what it does for games, it would be a blessing.

I mistaken believed that Steam was little more then a few hundred thousand 14 year olds. I know better now.

Rust, 7 Days to Die, Life Is Feudal are all available on steam all have at least a slightly Wurmish look or feel and all are massively EXCEEDING Wurm's player base before PUBLIC RELEASE, never mind Wurm's 10+ years.

I've quit and returned more then once...why do I come back? Ask me later because nothings really changed.

Maybe I've just accepted Wurm is always going to be a derp, tend my little farm, pay my upkeep and smile at the cute deer.

Troll me, cry or rip me apart, this is how I feel and I expect no real improvement.

Edited by Omgderp

Is it really worth tailoring the game to appease those who quickly get bored and leave each time, as opposed to the dedicated players who continue to support the game, when doing so might drive off many of the loyal players who want to continue to play on the maps they have invested so much time in? If I were Rolf, and AB, I'd want to appeal to the stable, reliable population, as opposed to the 'new thing' crowd.

Thanks for taking that one section of an argument out of context. You should be journalist with that kind of skill.

How long have you played/been playing wurm? Don't take that as a veteran belittling a new player, but pretty sure my period of game playing has some years on yours. We'll see if you are still a dedicated player after 6+ years.

That snippet you referenced was in regards to what a large portion of the player base wanted epic to be when it was first getting talked about. Not the entire game.

Edited by Jarosz

Thanks for taking that one section of an argument out of context. You should be journalist with that kind of skill.

How long have you played/been playing wurm? Don't take that as a veteran belittling a new player, but pretty sure my period of game playing has some years on yours. We'll see if you are still a dedicated player after 6+ years.

That snippet you referenced was in regards to what a large portion of the player base wanted epic to be when it was first getting talked about. Not the entire game.

I took that section out, because that is one section that I wanted to reply to specifically, there was no point in me addressing the rest of your post with my complaint, and so it didn't make sense to include it. How long have I been playing Wurm? Ever since I found out about the game, four months ago. Is this a relatively short period of time? Yes. Can I guarantee with all the changes that any game like Wurm undergoes, that I will still be passionate about it in 6, or even 2 years? No, I certainly cannot, however, for other online games that I have been passionate about, (Eve being my best example, where I still have two uninterrupted subscriptions starting in November, 2007) I tend to stick with them for long periods. I do hope that I am still passionate about Wurm, for as long as a time you have been, because I believe the game has a lot of potential, not to go forward with drastic change, but to provide refinement, that will ensure it is as enjoyable as possible.

But yes, going back to the snippet specifically, I may have slightly over-read into it, but likely because of the amount of conversations that I have seen of people STILL asking for the epic maps to be reset, which would involve all of the effort I have put in, being wiped alongside. I'm sure you can see the frustrations there. My apologies if my comment came across as too aggressive.

Nah, if rather see a different version of the game then to see anything existing bee wiped. That would not be fair for those who have already invested in existing versions

I spoke to some wurm playing RL friends about this a while ago.

Looking at the quality of suggestions, I am happy, ecstatic, in heaven!!! about the fact that the wurm staff is not taking all of it seriously.

The fact that Rolf created a niche and personal thing, and built it up into this from his vision, is just awesome, and the right people with the right vision join, and stay.

They do not cry on the forums, they do not sob while making 'i can't win, please change it' posts, they share a vision, and enjoy it.

Secondly, stop referring to ROLF, it's a company, there are many staff members with different roles, andthen there is a broader scope of players, all of whom are important.

So no, you are not alone, but a few shoulder patting replies, does not mean you everyone agrees. The majority who would disagree avoid the forums like the plague.

This game has no direction, No content, No combat, No working lights, Canals, And many other things that are broken and ignored. This thread will also be ignored by them. the ingame voting will be ignored by them, that's why it has a disclaimer now.

the only thing you will get is told what you are going to get, And then aggravated when you find out it doesnt work, Or that it was never added, And no explanation was given.

There has been no increase in customer service in this game at all over the years, Just players on the forums trying to convince themselves of it.

the bottom line is that this game is still no more than an alpha stage game, Even with multi story, And supposed bridges being added, It still has no content, No working AI, No quest system, And therefore does not qualify as beta stage, Let alone production stage.

Reduce the prices back to where they were. It's not worth what their charging now.

• Like 1

It still has no content, No working AI, No quest system, And therefore does not qualify as beta stage, Let alone production stage.

Reduce the prices back to where they were. It's not worth what their charging now.

Ok AI is a maybe a little bit broken but its a sandbox game so your statements about quest system and content is not true at all! You can make quests, for example you give a reward for somone who brings you anything out of the game! That is the meaning of sandbox. You have to create the content and the quests with the use of the game mechanics!

But +1 to reduced prices becouse im a cheap bastard :-)