Sign in to follow this  
Druidnature

[Chaos] New friendly PMK being thought about

To much to read, didnt bother to read it all.

I do sympathy your idea of such community, but.

Idea is good, still, wont work.

There was large group of ppl who wanted exact same thing already. Sooner or later, everyone have to pick a side. Its been such with lone players, new deeds and new "planned" kingdoms within such deeds which eventually split up picking their side.

We could go all nice and "more ppl, more life, lets all be buddies and lol around chaos". Nop

We seen this to many times to even count it. Will simply fail. Map is really controlled by 2 kingdoms, MR and JK, sooner or later you will be forced to pick a side. Just name any reason.

Regardless of your good intentions, the intentions of others will make it impossible.  Opportunists will always take advantage when they can, and waving a flag of peace will keep you defensive, and reactive.  It'd be a matter of time before things fell apart, or you'd have to start being more aggressive, negating your original ideas.

I have been wanting to go check out Chaos myself but am not of a pvp mindset. I would be interested in joining an existing group to see what it's all about. I am on Deli as well.

You dont have to be of the pvp mindset, plenty of players join Chaos to live and contribute to the kingdom they are part of, without needing to touch a sword, and if you ever want to dip your feet into pvp, its always there available to you:) 

The are 3 kingdoms on Chaos that you can join and you should be in relative safety. the links are as follows

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/76938-the-empire-of-mol-rehan-chaos/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/94722-jenn-kellon-recruiting-chaos/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/85207-chaos-hots-commorragh-is-recruiting/

Enjoy!

• Like 1

This made for a very interesting read. It's a good idea to try to introduce new players into the PVP server, however I fear it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to remain fully neutral to the main PMK factions. Even with NAPs (non-aggression pacts) in place with the other factions, skirmishes will happen both with the other PMKs and internally within your own PMK. 

The epic power struggle that is the Chaos server cannot be avoided, even if you yourself were a top politician and able to deal with the others leaders successfully, the pressures of trying to keep everyone happy will be great. It would be a great challenge, and one that I would wish you well in.

I believe many have thought about this idea, particularly of late with Freedom Isles being a default faction that can be played on Chaos. Unfortunately having noble ambitions and being true to your word or ruleset will only carry you so far on a PVP server that is heavy with politics and backstabbing.

I've played on Chaos ever since leaving Golden Valley almost 4 years ago and I've never regretted it, the comradeship amongst fellow alliance/PMK members is simply amazing. The way everyone pulls together and helps out, devoting their time/skills/resources/equipment to help others for no charge, also the freedom to play your way and the space available on the server. You get much less grief related hassles on Chaos as the griefers have no "freedom code of conduct" ruleset to hide from your sword behind. In fact I've experienced many more arguments and griefing while living on the Freedom Isles servers, which has probably accounted for less than 2% of my playtime.

During my time on Chaos (I've recently retired from PVP to Deli/Indy due to RL circumstance changes), I've kept out of the faction politics, and steered well clear of the forum PVP wars. I have learnt though that being neutral is impossible. Even now on the Freedom Islands I'm still branded as being affiliated to the faction that I've been a proud part of ever since joining Chaos, one day I may even head back to Chaos, yet the "enemy" players that I meet on Freedom constantly ###### about PVP factions and try to bait you into a hostile response, sadly!

The point that I'm trying to make with the wall of text above is that Neutrality is simply not possible, many have tried and all have failed.

If you're looking for alternative suggestions, here's what I think may just work, or at least give you a step up to lead into your main plan to have a neutral PMK on Chaos:

Create a deed/alliance on a Freedom server (Deli would be an obvious choice) proclaim your neutrality, and invite visits from each of the main Chaos PMKs (not at the same time of course). This deed or alliance could offer places to players wanting to get a taste of PVP/Chaos, you could organise group hunts to develop groupwork skills and raise fighting related skills, run training sessions in the use of catapults, train archery, have regular sparring tournaments to test various weapons/armour combinations.

Perhaps each month offer an invite to one of the factions currently on Chaos to send an envoy over to your deed, and restrict it to only that faction for that month. These envoys could not only promote their own faction (whilst bitching about the others of course), the envoys could also offer training (or maybe even basic gear) to your recruits, perhaps talk about tactics, explain secure deed building, deed defence etc. Sparring competitions could be organised vs the experienced PVPers, this will allow your recruits to judge how well they'd do against a PVP player. Are group spars possible? Other ideas could be archery competitions, or destroy the 50ql practice dummy fastest, catapult competitions etc.

This neutral deed would also be a very good place for a marketplace, where trade to and from the PVP servers and the various factions could take place easily and hassle free. Whilst doing this, you would be building ties with each of factions and learning more about the politics involved too.

Once you have a decently trained group together, you could even load up a knarr and go experience Chaos in small doses at first, become the neutral group players that you want to be, avoid griefing, and see if you enjoy to play in a PVP ruleset. Finally leading up to the planting of the neutral PMK on Chaos.

Baby steps....

• Like 3

I don't really have an interest in will this work or not. Make sure you document the whole experience and write about it and post some pics. This is what Wurm is all about, trying new things even if it is against all odds. 

I do not think that you could survive without any previous experience, without knowing how to build a well defended deed and without knowing how chaos works and with only people from freedom. However saying all that, i believe you aren't the only one who thought about such a thing like this... 

Some learn from mistakes, some learn from others.

In the end with a lot of effort, only dedication determines how succesful you can get, even if you made mistakes in the past.